John Carmack Responds to the ATI Humas tweek

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, sorry this is a bit offtopic but tornadotsunamilife, the quote in your sig is hilarious! lmao!

Three D. Marks said:
Bah don't let burningrave get to ya. That's what he wants. He thinks if he rides of the line of being civil he can say whatever he wants and not get banned. Just give it time. I see a ban stick wack in his future.

Why do you say that?

Three D. Marks said:
Bah don't let burningrave get to ya. That's what he wants. He thinks if he rides of the line of being civil he can say whatever he wants and not get banned. Just give it time. I see a ban stick wack in his future.

And just exactly what would they ban me for?

Annoying the hell out of ATI loving bleepedy bleeps? lol

Oh i guess i missed Rule #24.

"Thou Shalt not support any other company than ATI no matter the facts presented or the truth that follows."

ACK!!! *runs and hides so he doesn't get banned*

burningrave101 said:
And just exactly what would they ban me for?

Annoying the hell out of ATI loving bleepedy bleeps? lol
Um, yeah? Sorry man, but if annoying is your way of 'convincing' then wow, your arguement...well, sucks.

BakedGoods said:
Um, yeah? Sorry man, but if annoying is your way of 'convincing' then wow, your arguement...well, sucks.

I dont post to annoy people though. I post to express my opinion on the matter.

I can easily see it annoys some though because of the fact they simply dont want to hear people say bad things about the company they like.

I guess i would feel the same way if someone was talking smack about a girl i was going out with. lol

I think the OFF TOPIC replies about what you think about me or someone else needs to stop though. We need to stick with the task at hand and discuss our feelings about the thread topic and nothing each other.

burningrave101 said:
I can kind of tell you dont have any idea what your talking about ither lol.

When an employee from a major company like ATI does something, it affects the company, not just him personally. The effect may be minor or major but the name of the company is always dragged down along with the name of the person. I'm sorry you can't seem to realize that.

and I'm sorry you cant understand that Humus has done NOTHING wrong, in ANYONES opinion but yours.

kronchev said:
and I'm sorry you cant understand that Humus has done NOTHING wrong, in ANYONES opinion but yours.

In anyones opinion but mine? lol

Even Kyle here at HardOCP said it. :rolleyes:

I really dont expect the majority of ATI users to see any problem with it simply because they want the performance boost.

I have nothing to gain from it though so you can damn well expect to have my opinion about it lol.

Rizen said:
Ok, for a summary (since I can't read through 26 pages of a thread for a tweak), can someone please post the latest and greatest revisions of Humus' tweak so that I may use it?

Also, what is the new AF tweak for ATI cards? Can you guys post that too?
Hey guys, could one of you please take maybe 5 seconds out of your time flaming each other, and answer my fucking question?

And for the record, I'll take any performance / image quality tweaks either company can produce, on the record or off, and I'd actually prefer they be released publicly.

From Xmas @ beyond3d about interaction.vfp:

"According to NVidia's FX Composer, the original shader takes 10 cycles on NV40 (19 on NV35, 28 on NV30)
Replacing the cube map normalization with a nrm_pp doesn't increase performance, but replacing the math normalization with cube map normalization costs another cycle on NV40."

People with 5900/U/5950U and 5800s (poor NV30 users) could benefit a lot from having an optimization for that shader. Maybe someone will figure out a way to significantly increase performance (hack) like Humus did for the 9800s/x800s. :D

burningrave101 said:
I dont post to annoy people though. I post to express my opinion on the matter.

I can easily see it annoys some though because of the fact they simply dont want to hear people say things bad against the company they like.

I guess i would feel the same way if someone was talking smack about a girl i was going out with. lol

I think the OFF TOPIC replies about what you think about me or someone else needs to stop though. We need to stick with the task at hand and discuss our feelings about the thread topic and nothing each other.
I'm not taking offense to ATi, it's like the quote in someones sig I saw. The quote was someone contemplating not buying an Ultra because he doesn't want to be assosiated with biased nVidia fans. I feel the same way. By supporting ATi users who are seeing healthly FPS increased we shorten the gap between nVidia and ATi users. I see this as a good thing. But when others come in here questioning things like 'IQ degreation', and 'artifacting' (which niether exsist btw) then I see it as a threat to the peacefulness some people are trying to restore between nVidia and ATi users.

And about the off topic. Threads go offtopic, it happens. If all conversations where static it'd be boring. The mods will lock this when they see fit. If you'd like me to start a whole new thread casting light on the legitmacy of your claims then lets, until then lets talk in here.

The 'hack' works for some people. Awesome, hopefully we'll see it's implementation in either a patch or a driver update. If not so be it. This doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Humas' job, nVidia or political innuendos. This is about a hack that increases FPS.

Do you agree that the hack is useful for ATi users burning?

pxc said:
From Xmas @ beyond3d about interaction.vfp:

"According to NVidia's FX Composer, the original shader takes 10 cycles on NV40 (19 on NV35, 28 on NV30)
Replacing the cube map normalization with a nrm_pp doesn't increase performance, but replacing the math normalization with cube map normalization costs another cycle on NV40."

People with 5900/U/5950U and 5800s (poor NV30 users) could benefit a lot from having an optimization for that shader. Maybe someone will figure out a way to significantly increase performance (hack) like Humus did for the 9800s/x800s. :D

There is issues with that, by taking the normalization out you loose sepcular detials but on a side note you gain a ton of speed.

Rizen said:
Hey guys, could one of you please take maybe 5 seconds out of your time flaming each other, and answer my fucking question?
It's on page 1 in the very first post of this thread. That's it. The link to the single page on beyond3d describing the summary is also in that post, as is the rar file you can extract so you don't need to edit the interaction.vfp file manually. :rolleyes:

pxc said:
It's on page 1 in the very first post of this thread. That's it. The link to the single page on beyond3d describing the summary is also in that post, as is the rar file you can extract so you don't need to edit the interaction.vfp file manually. :rolleyes:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was the newest revision or not, which is why I asked. I don't believe it was too much to ask, considering that people are writing multi-paragraph flames about whether or not Humus is a respectable ATi employee :rolleyes:

Some of you guys need to put the measuring tape away (you know who you are), it's just pathetic. :rolleyes:

Now for those of you that have tried it what kind of improvements are you seeing? Any reduce IQ like last time? Some screen shots would be cool too.

Sorry to be off topic, sorta, but which one of the loyal Nvidia security gaurds is Ruined? He goes under a different name here and just want to know who got p0wned.

R1ckCa1n said:
Sorry to be off topic, sorta, but which one of the loyal Nvidia security gaurds is Ruined? He goes under a different name here and just want to know who got p0wned.
Flame baiting, STFU. :rolleyes:

Rizen said:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was the newest revision or not, which is why I asked. I don't believe it was too much to ask, considering that people are writing multi-paragraph flames about whether or not Humus is a respectable ATi employee :rolleyes:

*cough* burning, empty n trancendz *cough*

R1ckCa1n said:

you know exactly who he is. i do. he'll announce it if he see's fit

R1ckCa1n said:

trancendz

trungracingdev said:
trancendz

Wait, does he actually *work* for nvidia? Or by nvidia security guard, does that just imply he defends nvidia because he likes them.

eXzite said:
Wait, does he actually *work* for nvidia? Or by nvidia security guard, does that just imply he defends nvidia because he likes them.
They're flame baiting, pay no attention.

when did this thread become a personal flame channel? :eek: Why do you people think this is your personal shit house? Would be nice if you guys get back to the topic.

eXzite said:

he likes them because he feels that they have the better hardware this round.(im pretty sure he said that one time) can't really say i blame him. now please stop with the personal-attacks

Now I'm curious, exactly why can't this hack be applied to a new patch for Doom 3? Is it because it affects nVidia FPS (lower?) Or...something else? It seems to make sense that if this works out well for ATi users that it can be included in a Doom 3 patch. I'm not sure how ATi could release drivers that does this by itself. Can anyone answer that?

rancor said:
when did this thread become a personal flame channel? :eek: Why do you people think this is your personal shit house? Would be nice if you guys get back to the topic.
At this point I'm just waiting for the thread lock (kind of hoping for one too), it's just pretty sad....

Hell if you cut out all the flames and childish name calling then you'll probably be left with a three page thread. :rolleyes:

CrimandEvil said:
At this point I'm just waiting for the thread lock (kind of hoping for one too), it's just pretty sad....

Hell if you cut out all the flames and childish name calling then you'll probably be left with a three page thread. :rolleyes:

maybe 2

Okay guys, we get it. Posting how this thread should be locked just adds fuel to the fire. Take out all your posts about it and it'll be a small thread too ;)

So, anyone know why Carmack can't slap this in a Doom 3 patch?

true its absolutely pathetic, people are taking comments about g-cards personally, and then bitching at the poster because of an opinion. One thing to defend a choice you made another to poke at someone personally.

BakedGoods said:
Okay guys, we get it. Posting how this thread should be locked just adds fuel to the fire. Take out all your posts about it and it'll be a small thread ;)

i don't believe he ever denied that this would be in a doom 3 patch (i may be wrong).

tornadotsunamilife said:
i don't believe he ever denied that this would be in a doom 3 patch (i may be wrong).
He's never said it would be either.

Don't do it Burning. It's flame bait clear and simple so let the mods handle it.

CrimandEvil said:
Maybe because he wrote it that way for a reason? Wait for B3D's mini interview.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I'm wondering if there are some other side effects that outweight the good things the hack brings. I mean, lets say the FPS for a ti4600 drop by 20% because of the hack. iD wanted Doom 3 to run on all systems, so by including this hack they might boost new cards while cripple older cards. I can't imagine a hack that would only help everyone, yet Carmack decides to exclude it.

CrimandEvil said:
He's never said it would be either.

precisely. so it may be in a doom 3 patch and he just failed to notice it. or it is out for a reason and he may come forth and show us the reason. but he doesn't have to. he's a millionaire for christ sake ;)

When did he say he couldn't or he wouldn't do it? The only people I see saying he can't are definately not Carmack

SnakEyez187 said:
When did he say he couldn't or he wouldn't do it? The only people I see saying he can't are definately not Carmack
Settle. For sure man, hopefully he'll clarify this soon.

burning calm down unfotunatly alot of the noobies don't have respect for long time posters.

however if it does benefit all ati cards. then couldn't it be possible to put it in a catalyst driver? (i may be wrong however)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back