John Carmack leaves id

Wow.

*Speculation - I doubt he liked the way Bethesda runs things. They are a nasty bunch of sods.

in related news, rage is free-2-play this weekend on steam... I might give it a go now :p

all dem id boyz got huge beth $$$, they won't need to work again for at least five lifetimes.

It isn't too surprising considering he had been focusing a lot on his rockets and recently joined Oculus Rift. He keeps busy.

Without Carmack I can see them going into gaming obscurity quicker than they have been.

This makes id Tech 5 the last John Carmack engine we're likely to see. That's kind of depressing.

*Speculation - I doubt he liked the way Bethesda runs things. They are a nasty bunch of sods.
I always got the impression that he was relatively satisfied with Bethesda. They wouldn't let him talk about things he might've liked to, and his mobile development time got axed after Bethesda took things over, but they're also pretty open about open source and generally letting him do what he wants. At least according to him.

Is Doom 4 still in development?
Unknown.

Are any of their original team members left?
To my knowledge, no.

Surprise? Not in the least. The last 6 years or so he's been totally consumed by other avenues in his life. He should have left back then.

Thanks for your contributions to PC gaming John but you need a different direction to go in and you've found it.

Also Rage was a completely shit game.

I always got the impression that he was relatively satisfied with Bethesda. They wouldn't let him talk about things he might've liked to, and his mobile development time got axed after Bethesda took things over, but they're also pretty open about open source and generally letting him do what he wants. At least according to him.

It's possible, but I've heard rumblings from other subsidiaries in the past.

:rolleyes:
*Speculation!, hes working on the Rift....

That's not speculation.

I'm just pointing out that Bethesda/ZeniMax tends to be a little shitty to some of the studios they work with, which might have led to his complete exit.

That's not speculation.

I'm just pointing out that Bethesda/ZeniMax tends to be a little shitty to some of the studios they work with, which might have led to his complete exit.

From the way he was acting at Quakecon he probably enjoys working with the Rift more than game development now days. He was really excited this year and you could tell he was happy. Also it probably allows him to think more on his level too.

From the way he was acting at Quakecon he probably enjoys working with the Rift more than game development now days. He was really excited this year and you could tell he was happy. Also it probably allows him to think more on his level too.

Yea, I can't blame him for wanting to branch out.

I love listening to him speak when he's on stage, he's a passionate nerd in the best possible way. However, him leaving ID doesn't mean anything to me. Has ID even released a good game in the last ten years? They are irrelevant afaic. Anyway, I wish him luck, and I hope he finds something to get excited about, PC gaming clearly does nothing for him any longer.

Id had it's place in gaming history and nobody can take that away. But this is the keypoint that puts a button on their current irrelevance.

I love listening to him speak when he's on stage, he's a passionate nerd in the best possible way. However, him leaving ID doesn't mean anything to me. Has ID even released a good game in the last ten years? They are irrelevant afaic. Anyway, I wish him luck, and I hope he finds something to get excited about, PC gaming clearly does nothing for him any longer.

Yes PC gaming means nothing to him, that's why he put some of his own money into Rift development, was the biggest supporter of it early on, essentially is the reason it raised so much money from Kickstarter, and is now spending a ton of time and energy on it. So clearly him working on something that is focused on PC development and will not be on consoles shows that PC gaming means nothing to him.

he's not an old guy so I wonder what his future plans include...developing some groundbreaking console tech?

he's not an old guy so I wonder what his future plans include...developing some groundbreaking console tech?

For right now I'd say keep focusing on Rift development and working with his aerospace company. Though Carmack being Carmack I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up at some game development studio helping them somewhere down the line.

Though Carmack being Carmack I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up at some game development studio helping them somewhere down the line.

paid consultant sounds perfect...that way he can keep doing other things while not having to commit to it full time...apparently he wanted to remain a technical adviser for id, but "it just didn't work out."...strange that id would not let him do that

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/do...k-officially-leaves-id-software/1100-6416346/

Thanks for the great memories (and Nightmares "RAGE").

Mr Carmack and Wolfenstein is what got me into PC gaming, and I havent looked back since.

Last great ID game IMO was Doom3. That fucking game was the perfect horror/fps back in the day.

P.S. This just means im getting old.

Man, that's anything BUT sudden. Though kind of sad, we need a Carmack at the forefront of something that is yet to mature. Such as VR tech. Mature tech/industry = boring.

edit: There goes my QuakeCon interest. His last speech wasn't all that interesting due to ZeniMax imo. Hope he speaks annually at TED or something lol :D

Last edited:
Regarding QuakeCon:

@ID_AA_Carmack: If they don't want me to talk on stage at Quakecon next year, we'll just have to fill up the lobby like the old days. :)

I think what sets him apart was not just his ability in programming game engine, but his vision and creativity in achieving them. These days there are many people who are capable of writing game engines that utilizes modern hardware, I don't think it's as difficult as it used to be. So it's really hard to stand out in this regard.

It's nice to see Carmack moving on to something else, hopefully we'll see something interesting beyond the usual prettier graphics with better hardware.

I wish him well and wonder whats gonna happen with the keynote address at Quakecon.

iD? Gone. Quakecon, gone in a year. Not sad to see this guy go from iD, but things run their course. The company's been around for what, 28 years, give or take? Let the man move on. Talk about dead horses.

should have the time now to make that revolutionary new voxel engine with ray tracing
oh, I've been dreaming of voxel-tech since the 80s, in particular that ability to freely dissect any object in sight :p

I'd also loooove to see Carmack give those Euclidean folks a run for their money. I guess there is some opportunity with OR for him to explore some of his special low-level graphics wizardry ^___^

Supposedly it was scrapped and they have started fresh.
Right, and if it sucked according to Tim Willits then it must've REALLY sucked :p just recalling how he gushed about Rage makes me lose all confidence in whatever he is involved in (harsh I know, but his style just doesn't seem to jive with me)

That being said, maybe with the larger team and resources Doom 4 will actually turn out great. I'll always wish for the best, but keep low expectations and wait for some solid reviews before sending money their way. I hope everyone else here does the same, we don't want a certain person here complaining about "I want my money back" :p

Dude is like Richard Garriot... great in his time but that time is over.

Yes, Bethesda just now fired him for a game released two years ago that uses an engine he and his team developed that Bethesda is now using for at least two other titles in production.

Makes sense.

He reminds me of Speilburg or George Lucas. When they have limitations placed on them from somewhere, they can do some surprising things. With wide open freedom... not so much.

Back