John Carmack Joins Oculus as CTO

Yeah, all that massive texture pop in id Tech 5 was some A+ grade programming... :p

The man said he was sorry.

They tried something new with the Megatexture idea and it failed. You don't get to where he is without trying new things. Every now and then something is going to go wrong. I think he handled it professionally and appologized to everyone at QC2012. Besides I blame hardware limitations on the Consoles for RAGE's shortcomings.

I wasn't talking about the game.

Well, he did work on the engine.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Of course it's not all his fault but he did have a hand in it.

The man said he was sorry.

They tried something new with the Megatexture idea and it failed. You don't get to where he is without trying new things. Every now and then something is going to go wrong. I think he handled it professionally and appologized to everyone at QC2012. Besides I blame hardware limitations on the Consoles for RAGE's shortcomings.

It never really went that "wrong" with id Software before this. I guess you could say Quake 4, maybe, but Rage was a pretty huge flop. I think they had just been out of the game too long or something.

It's good that he apologized, but I'm sure that's small consolation to people who actually paid $60 for Rage.

John Carmack and John Romero are like Lennon and McCartney. Amazing together, had a fight, ended up not being so good doing things on their own.

This job seems like a good fit for Carmack's talents though.

Well, he did work on the engine.

Not sure what point you are trying to make. Of course it's not all his fault but he did have a hand in it.

It never really went that "wrong" with id Software before this.

Bottom line they've been coasting for the last decade+

But he seems enthusiastic about O.R. and even if it just buys them some creds on account of the name recognition, more power to the project. I've given up on any new compelling id software title ever coming out again. Doom4? Forget it.

With the way that Carmack gushes over OR, I assumed he was already involved in its development.

I'm so excited for him, and glad he's focusing more of his attention on here than on those other silly projects in there

...on there... whatever, I can't quite do his legendary funny speak :p

ya Einstein was brilliant and made some truly amazing advances in his field early in his career. But later on he couldn't accept that quantum physics was legitimate. and he spent quite allot of time trying to disprove it. and never fully accepted it.

That is by definition a scientist.

John Carmack and John Romero are like Lennon and McCartney. Amazing together, had a fight, ended up not being so good doing things on their own.

This job seems like a good fit for Carmack's talents though.

John Romero is John Lennons bitch. He can suck it down.

With the way that Carmack gushes over OR, I assumed he was already involved in its development.

He was. They even ported Doom3 and I think it comes with evey dev kit, if I'm not mistaken.
This is really good for him. Chance to be innovative again, making engines is not that fun anymore. Thats what I get from this anyway.
Oh well, I love the thing, adding a scientist to the team will only make it better. Can't wait for OR.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall Carmack making a statement that PC is no longer the main platform for games (sort of saying it as if he doesn't give a shit about PC gamers and the community no more) for the fuck up after Rage turned out to be a fucking disappointment and that pissed off a lot of PC gamers out there.

Something a long those lines pretty sure there was a thread about it here or a link in the old Rage thread in the gaming section.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall Carmack making a statement that PC is no longer the main platform for games (sort of saying it as if he doesn't give a shit about PC gamers and the community no more) for the fuck up after Rage turned out to be a fucking disappointment and that pissed off a lot of PC gamers out there.

Something a long those lines pretty sure there was a thread about it here or a link in the old Rage thread in the gaming section.

Let's not dig that corpse back up... But you're right - he did say something like that.

I see what you did there... And I like it. :cool:

thats_a_penis_reverse.gif

Now you're a job creator. Bacon computing is the future.

Bacon fueled computers will be the future. When it happens, you'll thank me for such vision. ;)

Q1 Bacon Mod: Bacon cooks as you hit enemies with the lightning gun, giving you the immersive smell of sizzling flesh!

I don't know if I want to smell the sizzling flesh of any ugly beasty that id has created. I think I'd ruin my PC from the puke.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...mack-PC-Is-Not-the-Leading-Platform-for-Games

He had a point, but then again it sounds like he's just saying it's barely worth developing on PC anymore.

Well, this was after ID was bought by Bethesda and Zenimax (multiplatform companies) ... and although we might not like hearing it, it is the harsh reality (and reduction of complexity and drivers was certainly one reason for the popularity of consoles with developers) ... PCs have always been the hardest platforms to develop for because of differences in PC configurations (RAM, Video, CPU, OS) and in the driver versions used for all the different components ... errors have always been greater on PCs, although the good companies have been vigilant about trying to fix them with patches and the dedicated PC communities for some games (cough cough Bethesda cough cough) have been adept at fixing those items the developers miss or fail to address

Although I wasn't that interested in OR before, I will definitely keep a closer eye on it now with JC involved ... it should be interesting to see what he is able to bring out in their system :)

I think JC also talked about PC OS's being too heavy, and having too much other junk going on in the background outside of his control that make it to where its difficult to predict just how long a particular "time sensitive" operation is going to take, as real time performance is not always guaranteed.

Basically, I believe JC likes lightweight OS's where a system's response time is more predictable, and he has more "bare metal" access to the hardware rather than having to rely on unpredictable APIs (drivers). Because he knows what he is doing, having this kind of direct control makes it easier for him to work his magic of pushing things to the limit.

Considering the way windows has being going with more and more unnecessary crap being piled on with each new version, I can't say I really fault him for it. He likes what PCs were, not what they have become.

I have to say, although I've been critical of Carmack and think he's frankly been irrelevant to gaming for the past 10 years, having him go over to Occulus does make me more interested in what they're doing.

I'll always be a fan of Carmack. The man gave us Doom and Quake. The sheer amount of gaming mileage I got out of those two titles.. Carmack was my 1990s.

Yeh, let's hope they bring something new in the future be it Doom 4 or a new Quake hopefully it will bring new innovative gameplay features to the table with an awesome story to boot us oldschoolers won't be disappointed with *shakes head at COD franchise*.

Back