Jobs Stumps For New 'Spaceship'-Like Apple Campus

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dear Cupertino City Council, please approve Mr. Jobs' spaceship-like campus. Without it, I fear that Jobs and his following might never be abducted by aliens. :cool:

Jobs went before the Cupertino City Council this evening (see video of the meeting below) to present plans for development of a campus that will augment--not replace--its current campus at Infinite Loop Drive. Jobs said the current campus holds about 2,800 employees, but the company has 12,000 employees in the area. "Apple is growing like a weed," Jobs told the City Council. "It's clear we need to build a new campus."

Jobs got something right.

They are growing like a weed and need to be removed. LOL j/k :D

I use Roundup on all those pesky weeds. I wonder if it would work if we doused Jobs with it?

It's crazy that he worked for the guy who started Atari.

When he was asked if Apple would provide Cupertino with free Wi-Fi, I'm surprised he didn't say "Who do you think I am Google!?", and I call bullshit on the lack of an Apple store due to low traffic, a: there is a shit load of traffic on De Anza (the road that gets you to and from Infinity loop campus), mainly due to Apple employees, and some half decent restaurants. And b: there is a fecking huge mall...granted that place sucks and is full of bratty tween hipster kids/wannabe gang bangers (still funny hearing that term, being from the UK), but still there's plenty of room for an apple store.

Does anyone else think Jobs looks like shit, since he was last seen in public?

Forgot to mention that the Apple campus, and the mall are right next to the 280 freeway, lack of traffic my arse!

Wont be long before Samsung announce the same thing with very similar design. :D

I have to admit, that looks like a great campus. The idea of expanding the green space and limiting surface parking is great. I'm sure it will change the atmosphere there for the better. Good to to see a corporation improving an area and really building it up at the same time. In the US no less.

Definitely a neat idea with the campus.

Jobs looks worse then he did earlier this week at WWDC. He even sounds tired in that YouTube video. I really think his cancer has returned which is disappointing and should be very troubling for investors.

When he was asked if Apple would provide Cupertino with free Wi-Fi, I'm surprised he didn't say "Who do you think I am Google!?", and I call bullshit on the lack of an Apple store due to low traffic, a: there is a shit load of traffic on De Anza (the road that gets you to and from Infinity loop campus), mainly due to Apple employees, and some half decent restaurants. And b: there is a fecking huge mall...granted that place sucks and is full of bratty tween hipster kids/wannabe gang bangers (still funny hearing that term, being from the UK), but still there's plenty of room for an apple store.

Does anyone else think Jobs looks like shit, since he was last seen in public?

First off, if most of the traffic is for "Apple" employees, then why would you need an "Apple" store? They could just get Apple gear from their Apple building... What Jobs is saying in that instance has actual substance. However, even with that, I do find it a little strange there is no store. It is the home base of Apple after all...

Secondly, Jobs is looking pretty bad, and even though I don't like the way he runs Apple or many of his personal ideas, I definitely don't like to see him suffering. No one should have to go through that, and it is really sad, especially given the admittedly large impact he has had on the computing world.

In addition, I really enjoyed hearing about how he got started through HP, I did not know that and it is a special kind of symmetry for him that he could buy that HP property and place an Apple HQ there.

As for the the Apple HQ, I think it is a great idea and I especially like the energy efficiency and eco consciousness of it. It is nice for a company to take strides on their own to think about those kinds of issues. I personally think it is good business sense. I just wish that "good business sense" would extend to places like oh...say China? Where their humanitarian consciousness seems to have been thrown right out the window for Apple's vanity in keeping such a tight lip on security...

"Apple is growing ... weed," Jobs told the City Council. "It's clear we need to build a new ... spaceship. We know how to build the biggest ... spaceship ... for 12,000 people".

Yea, except it will be 1mm thinner, and Samsung will call it a triumph of modern engineering. :)

And they are probably supplying 70% of the materials to the building of Apple's new campus...just like the mobile products.

So they didn't say why the building is designed like that, aside from "just to be different". I'm surprised nobody asked.

The pentagon is a similar design and I have to wonder if their design follows the same reasoning.

They could have a little "train" that can easily stop at every location. Or a conveyor.

When it is completed if will fly Jobs and his counterparts back to Neptune...

I was going to make a Heaven's Gate cult joke but I feared it would take too long and/or be too obscure for some.

So they didn't say why the building is designed like that, aside from "just to be different". I'm surprised nobody asked.

The pentagon is a similar design and I have to wonder if their design follows the same reasoning.

They could have a little "train" that can easily stop at every location. Or a conveyor.

It very well may be modeled in part after certan Russian embassies which were specifically designed against eavesdropping and espionage... I am not exactly sure how you get that the pentagon is a similar design apart from having a courtyard in the middle. Many buildings these days have a courtyard in the middle, you could make that claim about any thousands of buildings. The pentagon is also designed with the similar concepts as those russian embassies to aid against espionage. But the other reasons companies have for the central courtyard is that it is a private place for employees to gather and have lunch where they are still "inside" the immediate campus rather than outside the building where potentially they may be bothered by visitors or solicitors.

Sorry, couldn't edit my original posting. Another thing to note, I believe he actually did mention this. Remember they are trying to maximize the green space of the property. Well you only have so much property so you can't exactly do one long line, so the best way to make a long line in a limited space is to create a circle. That way you get a lot of space and still have green area in the middle. As I mentioned above, having that interior courtyard also helps in a number of other ways.

I for one am ecstatic that a business is building right here on American soil. We need more businesses to do the same.

I find it funny how 3/4 of you guys deviate from the actual conversation of the building...

Anyways, as an architect myself based on the limited images I've seen I kinda like where it's going, the mix use of urban/nature together and its simplicity reminds me of the work done by a few other famous architects, of those which I won't mention cuz that would ruin the intrigue. I must admit though, for a man who comes from computer background his understanding in architectural analysis is pretty good, however he could of been briefed prior.

reminds me of the movie 'the island'

now that I think about it, holy shit..

Sorry, couldn't edit my original posting. Another thing to note, I believe he actually did mention this. Remember they are trying to maximize the green space of the property. Well you only have so much property so you can't exactly do one long line, so the best way to make a long line in a limited space is to create a circle. That way you get a lot of space and still have green area in the middle. As I mentioned above, having that interior courtyard also helps in a number of other ways.

I don't understand none o dat! Such as how the shape maximizes green space, or how it helps reduce eavesdropping, or any other concern.

Take just maximizing green. The way to maximize green space on their plot of land is to build a narrow, superhigh sky scraper. But that's obviously not it. Maximize view of green space? Then they should build a lot of smaller buildings that have trees around them. In fact, the problem with the Ring is the thickness of it; most people still won't have any view of green whatsoever, depending on their work location.

The one thing I can totally see is maximizing green space (for lunching and whatnot as you say) that is *secure*. That is, no wild bears. I mean, Apple maybe could have different policies about discussing secret stuff outdoors.

You know, why didn't they make it in the shape of the apple logo??

There is already a (small) Apple store in Cupertino in the Apple campus, but it still has the stuff the main stores do...just less of it.

Take just maximizing green. The way to maximize green space on their plot of land is to build a narrow, superhigh sky scraper. But that's obviously not it. Maximize view of green space? Then they should build a lot of smaller buildings that have trees around them. In fact, the problem with the Ring is the thickness of it; most people still won't have any view of green whatsoever, depending on their work location.

First, you can't always just build a skyscraper, especially in cities that have a height limitation on buildings. Also skyscrapers also require a wide base and in california have strict codes they have to follow for earthquakes. In addition, after 9/11, would you really be interested in building a really tall building with the possibility as remote as it may be that some crazy individual might try to fly a plane into it. Not to mention skyscrapers in a smaller city would be tacky. So yes, that design does maximize the green space according to the limitations they have. Building smaller buildings doesn't fit the, "everyone in one building" scenario he is looking for, and also it definitely does not maximize green space as that is a 'lot' more impervious gound for foundations you have to build, not to mention walkways between buildings and where are you going to house your giant underground parking, etc.

He isn't a young man anymore. This guy was at the forefront of the initial PC boom. Give him his due.
The guy's very much on the brink. Not sure how much longer he has, but I'd venture to guess not more than a year or so (if that).

"Apple is growing ... weed," Jobs told the City Council. "It's clear we need to build a new ... spaceship. We know how to build the biggest ... spaceship ... for 12,000 people".
Heh.

First, you can't always just build a skyscraper, especially in cities that have a height limitation on buildings. Also skyscrapers also require a wide base and in california have strict codes they have to follow for earthquakes. In addition, after 9/11, would you really be interested in building a really tall building with the possibility as remote as it may be that some crazy individual might try to fly a plane into it. Not to mention skyscrapers in a smaller city would be tacky. So yes, that design does maximize the green space according to the limitations they have. Building smaller buildings doesn't fit the, "everyone in one building" scenario he is looking for, and also it definitely does not maximize green space as that is a 'lot' more impervious gound for foundations you have to build, not to mention walkways between buildings and where are you going to house your giant underground parking, etc.

Well waiiiiiit a minute. I'm not actually proposing a skyscraper, just the vague requirement (max green) sounded a bit odd to me. I'm still not sure of the reason for everyone-in-one-building, except for security.

But the jewel of this idea really is the underground parking. No complicated ramps, tight & blind corners, etc. Every parking spot is near where you work. It's an absolute dream. Is this what they're doing?

I for one am ecstatic that a business is building right here on American soil. We need more businesses to do the same.

This will have little impact on the economy, now if they opened up a fabrication plant, then your talking big employment...unfortunately this is another Apple campus full of some of the smartest people in their field, from various parts of the world, designing overpriced products with components from companies they are in the middle of suing, the remainder of the staff will be security, and admin personnel.

This will have little impact on the economy, now if they opened up a fabrication plant, then your talking big employment...unfortunately this is another Apple campus full of some of the smartest people in their field, from various parts of the world, designing overpriced products with components from companies they are in the middle of suing, the remainder of the staff will be security, and admin personnel.

That is actually completely false. They could outsource a lot of that work to an HQ in another country, say India. But instead they keep everything here in the United States, so those working at the facility pay American taxes and most will most likely become American citizens if they are not already too. There are many benefits to them keeping their HQ and buildings here in the US, and beyond that, the fact that they are remaining loyal to Cupertino when they could pay far lower corporate taxes elsewhere is also commendable.

Back