JJ Abrams Announces That Paramount To Drop Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Finally some good news for Star Trek fans. It looks as though Paramount is dropping its lawsuit against Axanar. JJ Abrams made the announcement yesterday but,according to this blog post, there is still a ways to go before everything is hammered out.

Even though we’re really excited by what JJ Abrams and Justin Lin shared at last night’s Star Trek Beyond event, the lawyers need to do their work (on both sides) before the lawsuit is officially resolved. This means we need to make sure we still meet all of the required filing deadlines for responses, etc. which we will (this takes a great deal of Alec and Winston & Strawn’s time).

Good news everyone!

I don't usually get excited for fan made movies but after seeing the trailers and work going into this I'm happy that they will be able to move forward. Hopefully it doesn't drag out much longer as the movie has been in the works for long enough.

Wow, so unexpected. I've got to wonder if JJ has realized his new series is crap and he's going to reboot the old school feel by bringing the Axanar people into the fold?

NAAAHHHHH! (dream on!)

Finally some good news for Star Trek fans. It looks as though Paramount is dropping its lawsuit against Axanar. JJ Abrams made the announcement yesterday but,according to this blog post, there is still a ways to go before everything is hammered out.

Even though we’re really excited by what JJ Abrams and Justin Lin shared at last night’s Star Trek Beyond event, the lawyers need to do their work (on both sides) before the lawsuit is officially resolved. This means we need to make sure we still meet all of the required filing deadlines for responses, etc. which we will (this takes a great deal of Alec and Winston & Strawn’s time).

Thank you for letting us know. This is huge news.

Wow, so unexpected. I've got to wonder if JJ has realized his new series is crap and he's going to reboot the old school feel by bringing the Axanar people into the fold?

NAAAHHHHH! (dream on!)

Probably more like 'being douchebags about this isn't going to help ticket sales'.

douchebags = people that have ever right to protect their intellectual property and stop individuals from using it?

Except much of it never really was "their intellectual property". Paramount only has a claim to a few random words of Klingon...ALL the rest was entirely cooked up by fans-AKA public domain.

Guessing that Paramount's lawyers decided they had a weak enough case that they didn't want to proceed to a ruling they might lose, even in part. Better to settle now and be seen as supporting fandom while preserving the threat of a big hammer lawsuit then have the hammer rendered much smaller by a loss.

You have fans spending their own money making content because you refuse to do so for years ... and you sue them. As a Trek fan I'm really annoyed at CBS and Paramount for doing this. At least if this is true it will be over soon.

Oh, and they need to fire whoever thought it would be a good idea to file a lawsuit against the fans that you're asking to pay $5.99 a month starting next January.

Last edited:
Don't attack your customers. They get made and might go somewhere else. Sounds like they are doing the right thing.

You have fans spending their own money making content because you refuse to do so for years ... and you sue them. As a Trek fan I'm really annoyed at CBS and Paramount for doing this. At least if this is true it will be over soon.

Oh, and they need to fire whoever thought it would be a good idea to file a lawsuit against the fans that you're asking to pay $5.99 a month starting next January.

Don't think that is how it works.

What do you mean?

just because your fans aren't happy with what you are doing doesn't mean they have the right to use your licensed content. That would be like somebody making and selling Megaman Legends 3 because Capcom isn't making the game.

They can sue somebody for using their content no mater what the fans what

just because your fans aren't happy with what you are doing doesn't mean they have the right to use your licensed content. That would be like somebody making and selling Megaman Legends 3 because Capcom isn't making the game.

They can sue somebody for using their content no mater what the fans what
I get that. But Star Trek has a big history of fan made content. Plus, I just don't think it's a good idea to sue your fans. Imagine PC gaming companies suing people for making mods or something. How far in the community would that get before people revolt against your product?

If this Trek lawsuit continued there is a good chance the movie and the new series would stumble.

I watched it and hope they are able to finish the project. Really enjoyed it.

Back