Jivr, the Chainless e-Bike, Wants to Revolutionize City Cycling

Interesting idea. May catch on in certain parts of the world, though the price strikes me as a bit high.

Let's travel by bike if the weather is bad. Makes sense.

why the hell does everything have to have an 'e' or an 'i' in the front of their name now?

Why do people want compact bikes? Never seen anyone with a mountain bike flinch at rolling it right past the bike racks into the building, smashing it into the elevator then parking it right in the hallway. And the few places or items that would bother to stop them, well they have bike mounts or racks that fit normal bikes.

The only real downside with bicycles in years past has been all the exercise you get and calories you burn operating them. And the surgeon general I'm pretty sure said that Americans are underweight and get too much exercise, so its great that we are able to turn bicycles into powered scooters.

Seems like it could be useful to some people. The biggest problem I see is lots of these $1000 bikes being stolen if left chained outside.

So forget the electric part, do those pedals turn the wheels at all? Or are they simply hooked to a generator which ends up moving powering the motor?

"inner city pleasure bike" is that what they're calling a banana seat these days?

For $1000 I can buy a decent used motorcycle that in the same range constraints of this bike I would need to gas up once every other month, go far faster and not look like a schmuck.

For $1000 I can buy a decent used motorcycle that in the same range constraints of this bike I would need to gas up once every other month, go far faster and not look like a schmuck.

But you couldn't put in the back of your smart car!!!!!!!!!!!

I might be able to see the appeal if you lived in tight spaces. I hope they make it look a little better... I probably would of went for larger tires.

I've thought about biking to work and would if there was a shower, but it would be a normal bike. I'd like to see this bike carry a decent sized man up a hill.

However, in a lot of countries you need to pass a motor bike test, wear safety gear like helmets, pay tax on such vehicles, can't ride them up pavements or footpaths without the law turning a blind eye, people are a little averse to users bringing them into the office if necessary etc. etc.

One solution does not fit all...

Oh and can't use a motorbike on cycle lanes that a lot of inner city areas are implementing. So you still have to battle with the buses, taxis, cars and trams..

Enjoy.

To be honest if they work, places like London will snap them up.

However, in a lot of countries you need to pass a motor bike test, wear safety gear like helmets, pay tax on such vehicles, can't ride them up pavements or footpaths without the law turning a blind eye, people are a little averse to users bringing them into the office if necessary etc. etc.

One solution does not fit all...

Almost none of your points have any real value It need to be addressed.

1 cyclists need to be required to be licensed, insured and tested if they are going to be riding on streets. They are just as dangerous and in as much danger as any motorcycle.

2 that while tax thing is coming, same principle as the ga electric tax thread. Give it time.

3 short of ties into the first point, but cyclists in most places require safety gear as well. Moot point.

4 very few places allow bikes on sidewalks or footpaths, do not even a valid point.

5 I've been in few offices over the years that are ok with people bringing their bike in. Most have bike racks outside for good reason. If you take it inside anyhow that really just makes you a prick and one of the many reasons so many of us hate cyclists.

So reality is there are few differences and those few are quickly going away. If you want to ride a bike I really don't care, but expect to abide by the same rules as anyone else. My larger point was really that anyone who spends $1000 on a bicycle is a dumbass If you aren't into competitive cycling.

Just typos galore above, stupid auto correct and I didn't proofread.

Almost none of your points have any real value It need to be addressed.

1 cyclists need to be required to be licensed, insured and tested if they are going to be riding on streets. They are just as dangerous and in as much danger as any motorcycle.

2 that while tax thing is coming, same principle as the ga electric tax thread. Give it time.

3 short of ties into the first point, but cyclists in most places require safety gear as well. Moot point.

4 very few places allow bikes on sidewalks or footpaths, do not even a valid point.

5 I've been in few offices over the years that are ok with people bringing their bike in. Most have bike racks outside for good reason. If you take it inside anyhow that really just makes you a prick and one of the many reasons so many of us hate cyclists.

So reality is there are few differences and those few are quickly going away. If you want to ride a bike I really don't care, but expect to abide by the same rules as anyone else. My larger point was really that anyone who spends $1000 on a bicycle is a dumbass If you aren't into competitive cycling.

There is a lot of fantasy in that post, not so much fact but there you go.

In inner city areas cycling is going to get a lot easier and preferred than motor vehicles.

Electrical to Mechanical and Mechanical to electric is still pretty inefficient which is why there are no series hybrid cars. Inefficient enough to be noticed by an avid bike rider. Surprised they went that way. I'm sure the battery compensates. Once the battery taps out its probably an annoying ride.

...makes you a prick and one of the many reasons so many of us hate cyclists.

--I think that lots of people who dislike cyclists do so because they're pretty impatient about having to drive around them when they compete with motor traffic and that's understandable.

--Another element of that is that motorists (at least in America) are overweight and unhealthy which makes them envious of cyclists being in better physical condition and far more attractive as a result and that's understandable too.

-A third thing that is that motorists usually are frustrated that they picked up a mortgage for a house and loan for a car they can barely afford that's too far from where they work to make cycling practical so they're upset at themselves for their situation, but can't accept responsibility for their poor decisions to they blame the cyclist because that person is on a smaller object which makes it easy for the human mind to make itself feel superior when it's in an automobile which is totally understandable.

--The last thing is that, because of their immature impatience, poor health, and huge debt they unwisely acquired to keep up with a fictional ideal life that doesn't actually make them as happy as they thought it would, they then feel compelled to balk at the price of a quality electric bicycle, comparing it to incomparable vehicles that fill incomparable transportation needs in a hostile manner which, of course, is understandable.

So basically, this irrational hatred boils down to self-inflicted crappy life circumstances and a lack of anyone to blame but the healthy, attractive, intelligent person on a bicycle that happens to be in their field of view. That's why so many people lacking charisma or wealth are so vindictive about others. It's okay though because cyclists understand this stuff and it makes them smile to see someone huffing and puffing after walking 200 feet to get from their pickup truck to their desk.

I think it would make more sense to have gas-powered bikes.
I have a mountain bike modified with a 4-stroke trimmer motor.
Its crude but effective and quite powerful.
Why not dedicate some real engineering to a gas motor to make it very silent, very small and long-lasting, Well integrated to the frame ect. It would need very fine controls in acceleration too, I think to make it a good product.
No need for excess speed or acceleration, but try to get as close as possible to 'e bikes' but better range, no recharge.
Its funny, Gas bikes make sense to me, and electric cars make sense to me, e-bikes not so much, I just know the battery will lose a bunch of capacity in quick order, and just be and expensive dud.

--I think that lots of people who dislike cyclists do so because they're pretty impatient about having to drive around them when they compete with motor traffic and that's understandable.

--Another element of that is that motorists (at least in America) are overweight and unhealthy which makes them envious of cyclists being in better physical condition and far more attractive as a result and that's understandable too.

-A third thing that is that motorists usually are frustrated that they picked up a mortgage for a house and loan for a car they can barely afford that's too far from where they work to make cycling practical so they're upset at themselves for their situation, but can't accept responsibility for their poor decisions to they blame the cyclist because that person is on a smaller object which makes it easy for the human mind to make itself feel superior when it's in an automobile which is totally understandable.

--The last thing is that, because of their immature impatience, poor health, and huge debt they unwisely acquired to keep up with a fictional ideal life that doesn't actually make them as happy as they thought it would, they then feel compelled to balk at the price of a quality electric bicycle, comparing it to incomparable vehicles that fill incomparable transportation needs in a hostile manner which, of course, is understandable.

So basically, this irrational hatred boils down to self-inflicted crappy life circumstances and a lack of anyone to blame but the healthy, attractive, intelligent person on a bicycle that happens to be in their field of view. That's why so many people lacking charisma or wealth are so vindictive about others. It's okay though because cyclists understand this stuff and it makes them smile to see someone huffing and puffing after walking 200 feet to get from their pickup truck to their desk.

Meh, weird post aside, I am not a cyclist, and will never become one because where I am at, there is barely any bike lanes or anything like that. In there rare instance that there are, they go in the same direction of traffic, and can pretty much disappear whenever they ran out of paint I guess. Its crazy. The few instances I bike (pedal, or the one with the motor) I use sidewalks, and if in the street I go against traffic.. I don't know I could be wrong, but the way I see it, even If am pedaling fast, I am still not moving at all in relation to an actual car, so it makes no sense for me to depend on just the driver of the car avoiding me.. by being against traffic I can maybe just try to fall/move to the side (to the grass, house, whatever is there).

Meh, weird post aside, I am not a cyclist, and will never become one because where I am at, there is barely any bike lanes or anything like that. In there rare instance that there are, they go in the same direction of traffic, and can pretty much disappear whenever they ran out of paint I guess. Its crazy. The few instances I bike (pedal, or the one with the motor) I use sidewalks, and if in the street I go against traffic.. I don't know I could be wrong, but the way I see it, even If am pedaling fast, I am still not moving at all in relation to an actual car, so it makes no sense for me to depend on just the driver of the car avoiding me.. by being against traffic I can maybe just try to fall/move to the side (to the grass, house, whatever is there).

There's nothing weird about that post. It's pretty much true that people who would regularly ride a bicycle tend to be in much better shape than people who drive everywhere. In fact, I think that there's a tendency for less healthy people to buy larger vehicles too. Once time I pretended to be a really overweight person who commented angrily in an MSN article about pickup trucks that I needed to own a truck since I was a plus sized person and that the only vehicles designed from the ground up to support people who were endowed with generous mass were trucks. I even wrote in a fake southern accent and based on the positive sorts of feedback and their photos compared to the people who were negative and posted their photos, it was pretty clear that larger, less healthy people favored bigger automobiles. It only makes sense to naturally conclude that the smaller the transport mechanism, the more fit and attractive the person and the less likely they are to be envious and angry of cyclists (or reach a point high enough in the human stratum where they become cyclists themselves).

The few instances I bike (pedal, or the one with the motor) I use sidewalks, and if in the street I go against traffic.. I don't know I could be wrong, but the way I see it, even If am pedaling fast, I am still not moving at all in relation to an actual car, so it makes no sense for me to depend on just the driver of the car avoiding me.. by being against traffic I can maybe just try to fall/move to the side (to the grass, house, whatever is there).

You shouldn't ride against the flow of traffic. On a bike, you can exceed 20 or even 30 mph. That makes the closing speed for any cars suddenly 40 mph + 20 mph or 30 mph for an effective 60 - 70 mph -- which these drivers are not expecting. Now if you go with the flow of traffic, they are passing you at a leisurely 10 - 20 mph difference.

Here's some corroboration: http://bicyclesafe.com/

Funny rant however inaccurate people hate cyclist because many of them are total hypocrites whom obey no rules at all and don't care about anything except what is in their best interest at the second they are doing it. In this very thread we have a guy talking about going against traffic, but when a biker wants to they are going with traffic or driving in car lanes. Cyclist get everything for nothing and they only have on risk, they could die, but no matter what happens the car will probably be held at fault. Personally I think that any cyclist who wants to drive on the road with cars must have a license and abide by all the same rules as cars. No passing cars out of lanes, get in line like a everyone else. No jumping onto the sidewalk to "run a red light" if you are on the road stay on the road, if you are off the road stay off the road. No jumping back and fourth. If a car or motorcycle got on the road and drove 15 mph they would be pulled over for impeding traffic same should happen for cyclist. Otherwise I commend the idea of cycling and it makes it tough for me to say things like this. I want to believe that its great people can save gas, and money and get exercise but at the same time they need to obey some rules, rules that were made to keep the roads flowing safely and efficiently what good does it do to have a cyclist saving gas when he is causing a traffic jam of 40 cars that are now using 40x the gas he saved? The most frustrating thing is when you pass a cyclist whom is backing up traffic only to have the asshole zoom past everyone at a red light, jump onto the sidewalk and cross the light when the traffic clears then be right back in everyone's way again. And the worst time for me is when its raining because bikers are pissed because they are in the rain and they get in a hurry and start doing really stupid shit cause they want to get out of the rain. Flying across roads almost getting hit not paying attention to their sides because their raincoat impedes peripheral vision etc...

Interesting idea. May catch on in certain parts of the world, though the price strikes me as a bit high.

The price is a tad high but not excessive. The frame really turns me off. The most expensive part of ebikes (home built or turnkey) is generally the batteries and controller/charger.

To build one yourself it's going to cost you at least a couple thousand. 1k for the bike (don't cheap out here, you're essentially building a motorcycle after all) then another 1k for batteries, ESC and charger. Another 500 will end up in the motor/s and other gadgetry you might want. Mind you 2.5k on a homebuilt bike is going to net you better distance and speed if you want it. If you wanted to match this bike distance, speed and framewise you could probably do it for 1500 fairly easily.

Back