Jimmy Fallon vs Pierce Brosnan Playing Goldeneye 64

My God, that game sucked cock. It showed how hard up, console gamers were, for fps games back in 1997.

My God, that game sucked cock. It showed how hard up, console gamers were, for fps games back in 1997.

Goldeneye007? That game was pretty advanced for its time.

Location-specific damage with animations to match.
Persistent weapon drops (kill a guy holding an AK47, you can get the AK47).
Weapons that required reloading.
Stealth mechanics (enemies would hear your un-suppressed weapon fire, some would run for alarms)

It looks like rubbish now, but back in the day it was the party game of choice.

Perfect Dark was the real pinnacle for the N64. You look back and you wonder how they got near PS2 level graphics from the N64, not to mention cramming in full reload animations, voice acting and all the levels they did.

Perfect Dark was the real pinnacle for the N64. You look back and you wonder how they got near PS2 level graphics from the N64, not to mention cramming in full reload animations, voice acting and all the levels they did.

I loved Goldeneye, but Perfect Dark really was an incredible game for it's time.

Back then it was amazing. This was 4 years before even Halo was released.

Indeed. It was THE co-op game of that generation for consoles. Everyone had it and it was a blast.

It looks like warmed over dog shit now but back in those days it was some of the best MP around.

Wow....My memories are way better than yours :D

lol seriously. Goldeneye was an absolute masterpiece of gaming back then.

What I loved about it were the guns and the way the bodies reacted to being shot. It actually felt like the bullets had stopping power. If I'm remembering correctly, you could actually hear the thud as they hit bodies, and it was great. :D

That's basically how I felt too. Same with Halo... but ya know, if people enjoyed it then more power to them

OK anyone bashing on Goldeneye clearly never played it when it was released. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were hands down THE games of the 90s. I don't think I have fonder memories of a FPS than those two games. When I went to college in 2005-2009, we played rounds of PD and Goldeneye for who had to do what chores around the house. OF course, we also played Mario Kart 64 too :)

If you're bashing Goldeneye or PD I bet you're under 22.

I'm not even talking about the graphics, although the split screen concept was always kind of a ghetto concept, except for something like Mario Kart, which was cramped but vaguely bareable. I'm 38 and playing a fps on a controller sucks cock and still does. Uncharted 1 on the PS3 was fun. You are still making concessions to the input device. You have no fine control over a joypad. I'm a member of an esport gaming group :p

HAHA GoldenEye, so many memories playing that game in high school with friends. I remember buying a N64 just for this game alone.

Pierce definitely didn't know what he was doing in that video running around trying to karate chop Fallon lol.

OK anyone bashing on Goldeneye clearly never played it when it was released.
If you're bashing Goldeneye or PD I bet you're under 22.

No and no. Played it at release at a friends house many times, who insisted all of us do tournaments. It wasn't fun. I was spoiled by PC graphics and controls and had little interest revisiting the past.

For console it was awesome i was a PC guy but it was epic with friends and split screen multiplayer, those who really say it sucked, were the people getting their asses beat over and over on it ;) ;)

No and no. Played it at release at a friends house many times, who insisted all of us do tournaments. It wasn't fun. I was spoiled by PC graphics and controls and had little interest revisiting the past.

The plot thickens...

I think we found out why Youn didn't like this game. He sucked at it, was forced to play it.

....and was spoiled.:)

I've always been a PC guy but Goldeneye was super legit, no question.

I'm sure Duke Nukem's graphics were enough to incite a feeling of superiority...

I kid, I kid... But goldeneye never had good graphics: it was the innovative gameplay that got me. I always turned auto-aim off, though. I feel I an in the minority with that decision.

Personally, Perfect Dark was the game that REALLY stood out. If that game had been released as a PC exclusive, people would be raving about it like they do HalfLife and Deus Ex.

He sucked at it, was forced to play it.

....and was spoiled.:)
Yea, I sucked big time at it, because of the controller. It also didn't help that I had zero interest in James Bond. So, bad first impression completely.

In time I got better with a controller and didn't ever HATE it... was just "meh, I'd rather be playing Quake 2 with my other group of friends... ya know, the ones with the big rigs". Not about superiority, it was just where I felt more comfortable. The blazing fast, high res non-split screens and positional audio were simply more immersive.

IMO one of the best things about Goldeneye was that it was one of the few games that actually recreated the movie well.

Yea, I sucked big time at it, because of the controller. It also didn't help that I had zero interest in James Bond. So, bad first impression completely.

In time I got better with a controller and didn't ever HATE it... was just "meh, I'd rather be playing Quake 2 with my other group of friends... ya know, the ones with the big rigs". Not about superiority, it was just where I felt more comfortable. The blazing fast, high res non-split screens and positional audio were simply more immersive.

I had a couple of friends with computers or rather their dads had them, but all we had was Wolfenstein 3d & X-Wing vs Tie Fighter.

I guess Goldeneye was my first real Multiplayer FPS experience.

So what exactly was out then for multiplayer? I played all the Duke, Doom and Quake games but...no one else did (friends wise). Therefore Goldeneye and Perfect Dark trumped all PC FPS games because they were accessible.

So what exactly was out then for multiplayer? I played all the Duke, Doom and Quake games but...no one else did (friends wise). Therefore Goldeneye and Perfect Dark trumped all PC FPS games because they were accessible.

Same story here. I was playing Quake 2 around the same time, but really only had one person to play it with. We'd do our only little mini LAN all the time, but 1v1 is still only so much fun.

Goldeneye was a lot better for cramming four people on a single screen and just kicking back and having a good time. It was very enjoyable for what it was. It's very different than a PC FPS, but that doesn't make it bad.

We installed Marathon 2: Durandal (1995) in our school's Mac labs...8-player LAN MP ftw. Often multiple concurrent games.

On PC I played a good bit of Hexen/Hexen II in addition to Quake, it had a different flavor.

Goldeneye's graphics seem about on-par with Jedi Knight's (also 1997). But in JK, you get Force Powers! It also had a pretty busy Multiplayer scene on the MSN Gaming Zone.

Half-Life came out in 1998, after that it was all over, the HL mod scene was all the FPS Multiplayer variety I could ask for.

I'd like to know how many weeks/years of my life I spent playing that game. Such a badass game. PD was awesome, too, but Goldeneye was the original.

That was weaksauce, Brosnan looks like he's never played with a controller in his life (probably hasn't).

Yea, I sucked big time at it, because of the controller.

I honestly don't know how anyone could use that controller properly. You needed like 3 hands and one of them was dedicated to the joystick and Z button

Ah I remember that game, I got it for my B-day and I remember some of my friends weren't allowed to play because their mom didn't like the violence, so we always played it at my house :D. Perfect Dark was also super badass, not a fan of consoles much anymore since the PC has better graphics now and just as good of games, but those old consoles were where it was at!

I've always been a PC guy but Goldeneye was super legit, no question.

Seconded. While I love PC gaming through and through, I grew up on consoles first. The N64 had some great experiences to be had despite it's stupid hardware decisions (no DMA access from the MC on the Reality Engine to CPU, only 4KB texture cache, ridiculously high latency RDRAM which cancelled out its bandwidth advantage, carts instead of CDs). Goldeneye is definitely in the top five of that list, and one of the better console shooters of all time.

To be fair it did require the (8MB?) RAM expansion card.

Back