Jim Keller Joins Intel

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Jim Keller really needs no introduction to followers of AMD and Intel, however, just in case you didn't know he led AMD development of the K7 and K8 cpu's as well as being the lead architect of the Zen architecture. After his stints at AMD his latest job was at Tesla to develop chips for their autonomous driving program. Now he moves to Intel and I bet they are hoping he works his magic there. I can't wait to see what he produces with the resources Intel has to offer. The official twitter announcement is here.

Last edited:
Man must be nice to be a fat brained mercenary like that....I'm betting that contract has a few commas in it.

RIP AMD just when they got going!

Hopefully the Zen team can help turnaround RTG, otherwise things could get bad in a few years. (Full AMD system at home)

Attachments

• DarthVaderNooo.jpg
    DarthVaderNooo.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 0
mehhh who knows, there seems to be fud around him and Zen that he did not at all have any hand in developing it....who knows what impact he can or will have for Intel (seeing as most claim they are SUPERIOR to every other cpu maker in the world) my .02 it will be business as usual for Intel not that they "need a hand" beyond being chincy on their design of using sub per thermal interface or as thins as possible wafer substrate etc.

tims will tell, always will, maybe he will throw a monkey wrench in their plans to allow AMD to outright surpass them i.e pentium 4 reborn HAHAHA

RIP AMD just when they got going!

Hopefully the Zen team can help turnaround RTG, otherwise things could get bad in a few years. (Full AMD system at home)

I mean, anything he starts designing now won't be sales ready for years. If AMD sits on their hands during that time it'd be their own fault.

keller was at amd from 2012-2015 for his last stint there. ryzen came out in 2017. so anything he works on for intel probably won't be ready for 4 or 5 years

I dunno, isn't all the stuff in the Zen pipe pretty set for the next few years?

By the time that design runs its course AMD can just hire Keller back again!

Jim Keller really needs no introduction to followers of AMD and Intel, however, just in case you didn't know he led AMD development of the K7 and K8 cpu's as well as being the lead architect of the Zen architecture. After his stints at AMD his latest job was at Tesla to develop chips for their autonomous driving program. Now he moves to Intel and I bet they are hoping he works his magic there. I can't wait to see what he produces with the resources Intel has to offer. The official twitter announcement is here.

K7 lead architect: Dirk Meyer.

0bfe06767294671b4dda60012dda22ddd84f74ca479b96b714752d770de8d0db.png

K8 lead architect: Fred Weber.

Zen lead architect: Mike Clark

https://www.512tech.com/technology/...g-amd-challenge-intel/YmLJpr9F8w0qO4nBpbLN0M/

I add photo of the Zen team with team leader in the right (Suzzanne) and chief architect in the left (Mike)

DbuoKzkX0AMS8J_.jpg

Last edited:
K7 lead architect: Dirk Meyer.

View attachment 69533

K8 lead architect: Fred Weber.

Zen lead architect: Mike Clark

https://www.512tech.com/technology/...g-amd-challenge-intel/YmLJpr9F8w0qO4nBpbLN0M/
AMD on Wednesday said that Jim Keller has joined the company as corporate vice president and chief architect of AMD’s microprocessor cores, reporting to chief technology officer and senior vice president of technology and engineering Mark Papermaster.

https://web.archive.org/web/2015051...7_and_K8_Designer_Jim_Keller_Back_at_AMD.html

This thread is hysterical. Can an architect never design another building again? Can a fashion designer never design another outfit again? Can a games developer never make another game again? So can a CPU designer never make another CPU again?
Jim Keller's a talent and everyone recognizes it. A good corporation hires the best, and he's one of them. And he will do it in his own terms, without needing to infringe on AMD's IP. There is seriously no need to panic at all.

You only panic if AMD sits on their Ryzen laurels and don't build on this success. And the problem is AMD has a history of doing that. It's called Athlon.

Guess Intel's getting a little worried about the competition.

Looks like a win for the consumer as more competition will lead to better/cheaper products :D

I'm wondering if he'd even be allowed to work his magic at Intel. I'm more than willing to bet the environments between AMD and Intel are quite different and that may cause problems in the way he does things.

At AMD he can probably do whatever he wants especially for Zen as they needed a homerun. At Intel, I think it's likely that he probably won't be able to do as much due to the already entrenched corporate culture there. They may very well hold him back to the point that whatever he does just ends up an incremental upgrade.

AMD to Jim: here are these rocks, some paper clips, a rubber band, a couple of gum wrappers. Please make the best you can out of it.
Jim to AMD: ok

INTEL to Jim: we put at your disposal infinite funds and resources, make something better than what we currently have.
Jim to INTEL: I already did, it's called Zen.

Intel doesn't like to make big changes to their architecture. If they didn't have competition I think we'd still be getting die-shrinks of Netburst. However, people seem to have forgotten that they have to fix spectre and meltdown, and that means rooting around in the plumbing.

Just hire him to keep him off the market.

I don't think that'd work. I think it's plainly obvious that this guy loves to work, loves to innovate, and I'm sure his monstrous contract value adds to it. He works for a few years, then falls off the planet while he masturbates with an Anglerfish, or whatever rich people do when they don't feel like working.

mehhh who knows, there seems to be fud around him and Zen that he did not at all have any hand in developing it....who knows what impact he can or will have for Intel (seeing as most claim they are SUPERIOR to every other cpu maker in the world) my .02 it will be business as usual for Intel not that they "need a hand" beyond being chincy on their design of using sub per thermal interface or as thins as possible wafer substrate etc.

tims will tell, always will, maybe he will throw a monkey wrench in their plans to allow AMD to outright surpass them i.e pentium 4 reborn HAHAHA

In my experience Tim's will only grunt a bit when confronted with complex issues.

He may find the institutional inertia at a place like Intel to be a major impediment to the introduction of new ideas. I wish him luck.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
He may find the institutional inertia at a place like Intel to be a major impediment to the introduction of new ideas. I wish him luck.

I am quite confident he would not accept the job if he felt he would not be able to design what he wanted. He doesn't really need the money, he's doing it because he likes to do it.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
The future looks very bright for CPUs. Ryzen 3xxx next year on 7nm 12 cores 24 threads and 5ghz (rumors) sounds bad a$$. I bet Jim can make an impact the current on Intel design. At least I hope we don't have to wait that long. Think of it this way, AMD needed a completely new core design, Intel doesn't.

The future looks very bright for CPUs. Ryzen 3xxx next year on 7nm 12 cores 24 threads and 5ghz (rumors) sounds bad a$$. I bet Jim can make an impact the current on Intel design. At least I hope we don't have to wait that long. Think of it this way, AMD needed a completely new core design, Intel doesn't.

AMD certainly did, but you could make a really strong argument Intel does now as well - or at least a real significant architectural improvement. The tick tock tock tock tock tock tock will not work forever.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Anonymous: "Who had the biggest role in the creation of Ryzen? Was it you? Jim Keller? Someone else?"

Lisa Su: "In terms of the creation of Ryzen, I am really really really PROUD of our team. To build something like Ryzen takes really smart people coming together around a big, audacious goal and the Ryen team did it. The lead architect on Ryzen was a guy named Mike Clark and together with the entire global team, made Ryzen a reality."

To be fair even if Intel develops something spectacular consumers have a very low chance of seeing it in any reasonable time frame unless amd gets on there ass

Not really sure how to take this news. Oh well, it will be interesting to see what he produces anyways and I do not think the amount of money he did or did not have ever affected his ability.

I'm wondering if he'd even be allowed to work his magic at Intel. I'm more than willing to bet the environments between AMD and Intel are quite different and that may cause problems in the way he does things.

At AMD he can probably do whatever he wants especially for Zen as they needed a homerun. At Intel, I think it's likely that he probably won't be able to do as much due to the already entrenched corporate culture there. They may very well hold him back to the point that whatever he does just ends up an incremental upgrade.

why would you think that? i mean core 2 was a radical change from anything intel was doing before that and then core i7 came out and was another massive change from the successful core 2 architecture. i don't know why people keep thinking intel is afraid of change, they've had zero competition since the i7 920 was released 9 years ago.. why spend money on R&D developing a completely new architecture when you can just re-hash the same shit year after year and people will still gobble it up like candy. they finally have some real competition and they're trying to get ahead of it before another P4/athlon 64 race happens again(we all know how that went for intel). the last 5 years is proof in the pudding that they've reached the wall on the core architecture and it's time for a change.

Back