Jeremy Clarkson Introduces Amazon's New Delivery Drones

my body is ready.

Seriously though -- drone delivery tech? yes please. Jeremy Clarkson selling it? hell yes!

Can't wait for their new show.

Amazon really won getting the hosts of old TG. Now they can use them for all the things

I bet they charge some $$$ for that.

I expect it to be similar to Amazon Prime Fresh. It'll be an extra charge on top of your Prime payment if you so choose. I bet they'll offer so many extra services in the future it'll just get bundled into Amazon Prime Gold. Should be worth it if you spend a lot and are in a fairly densely populated area.

Great concept. I like that it wasn't simulated footage. They really thought this out so I hope it expands. UPS and other delivery mediums are going to hate this.

This concept would be great for isolated areas where standard delivery options are not practical given cost, location, etc.

I imagine the FAA will have plenty to say about it though. Hopefully they don't ground it!

What level of Prime do I need to order a Hellfire missile strike on my neighbor's kid?

Great concept. I like that it wasn't simulated footage. They really thought this out so I hope it expands. UPS and other delivery mediums are going to hate this.

Inclement weather. Weight. Distance. Cost. Four things that UPS (and others) will always have the upper hand on.

Something tells me their obstacle avoidence code is no match for the neighborhood dogs. Rufus is just going to just love these things. Especially if the land in a consistent location.

That video is just itching for an unexpected jihad version.

Shooting them down will be a new drinking game for the rednecks in my neighborhood.

...hmm where's my shotgun?

How about apartments? It seems every company tailors their service model with the assumption everyone lives in suburban housing.

This concept would be great for isolated areas where standard delivery options are not practical given cost, location, etc.

I imagine the FAA will have plenty to say about it though. Hopefully they don't ground it!

Amazon has the $$ to buy the FAA approval. Make no mistake, the whole government vs. drones thing is about revenue enhancement first. If things work out in favor of safety, well, that's OK too.

Something tells me their obstacle avoidence code is no match for the neighborhood dogs. Rufus is just going to just love these things. Especially if the land in a consistent location.

I'd think Amazon is going to hold you responsible for the drone if you put down the amazon marker telling it to land where Rufus is going to tear it up. They're alerting you ahead of time so you can prepare the LZ for the thing based on the video.

Can I drop a similar marker in my yard and scoop the drone from landing in the neighbors yard? ;)

Can I drop a similar marker in my yard and scoop the drone from landing in the neighbors yard? ;)

I would guess the final product is probably going to have a QR code or similar on it. That way it can detect which marker is which.

Jeremy definitely makes this video. It would be just another advertisement if he wasn't presenting it in his style.

Amazon better start designing weight efficient packaging materials.

hehehe

More like theft waiting to happen. All you have to do is follow to the drone till it's destination; grab the loot, and scoot.

Worse than that; down it with a shotgun; recover loot and take off.

You could just follow a UPS truck.

I highly doubt people shooting at the drones is going to be an issue.

As far as the rules go currently, Amazon is probably using the regulations that the FAA has towards RC aircraft ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/ ). In addition, this isn't gonna hit anywhere rural with the limited range of 15 miles or anywhere with a high proportion of apartment dwellers. I imagine, as with pretty much all aircraft, you're gonna need a pretty big area for the drone to land in. If the drone has a 5 ft wingspan, it's probably gonna require a 15ft diameter area centered on the 'landing pad' that you put out. I'd also imagine you're going to be signing a form saying that you'll be liable for any damages incurred to the drone by animals on your property or intentional damage done to the drone itself. Finally, with mail being protected under federal laws, I'd be willing to bet these drones will have cameras covering just about every angle so as to properly prosecute anybody who attempts to bring one down.

Some people seem to think Amazon is going at this a bit half assed but, Amazon is jumping into a service that is highly regulated by the FAA....whatever agency governs mail delivery, and probably some involvement from the NTSB. There really isn't a way for them to half ass this without incurring some serious penalties if they screw up once the program is under way.

As far as the rules go currently, Amazon is probably using the regulations that the FAA has towards RC aircraft ( https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/ ). In addition, this isn't gonna hit anywhere rural with the limited range of 15 miles or anywhere with a high proportion of apartment dwellers. I imagine, as with pretty much all aircraft, you're gonna need a pretty big area for the drone to land in. If the drone has a 5 ft wingspan, it's probably gonna require a 15ft diameter area centered on the 'landing pad' that you put out. I'd also imagine you're going to be signing a form saying that you'll be liable for any damages incurred to the drone by animals on your property or intentional damage done to the drone itself. Finally, with mail being protected under federal laws, I'd be willing to bet these drones will have cameras covering just about every angle so as to properly prosecute anybody who attempts to bring one down.

Some people seem to think Amazon is going at this a bit half assed but, Amazon is jumping into a service that is highly regulated by the FAA....whatever agency governs mail delivery, and probably some involvement from the NTSB. There really isn't a way for them to half ass this without incurring some serious penalties if they screw up once the program is under way.

Found this after making my post, it appears Amazon's service could fall under these requirements which, the weight limitation alone, would definitely limit the size of packages to...about 10-15 pounds I'm guessing. I guess if you think this service is coming to your area you could grab an operator's license and try to get in the gate. Only pilot one of them at a time with a requirement that the vehicle is always operating with humans eyes watching one at a time.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

step 1. order twenty dollar thing

Step 2. wait

Step 3. receive brand new $1000+ dollar drone thanks Amazon

Found this after making my post, it appears Amazon's service could fall under these requirements which, the weight limitation alone, would definitely limit the size of packages to...about 10-15 pounds I'm guessing. I guess if you think this service is coming to your area you could grab an operator's license and try to get in the gate. Only pilot one of them at a time with a requirement that the vehicle is always operating with humans eyes watching one at a time.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

10 to 15 lbs is a decent amount of weight. Just last week, I put out a 15 lb trash bag for the city trash to pick up, and they just left it there after slapping a "Out of compliance: over 40 lbs" sticker on it.

Back