Jensen Huang announces Ampere prices

I just sold my 2080TI last night for $1000.. Guess I was pretty lucky with the timing.
I'm fairly tempted to off-load my 2080ti while I can and just live with my media center PC 1660ti until I can pickup a 3090.

So instead of getting $800 for the 2080Ti and a 3090 for $2k, I should expect $400 while paying $1.6k?

Sounds good! See you in October after it's confirmed the 3090's aren't all getting space invaders.

🤷‍♂️

Hahahahahahahanfor something you cannot even make a phone call with. I think Apple’s pricing is quite reasonable.

So instead of getting $800 for the 2080Ti and a 3090 for $2k, I should expect $400 while paying $1.6k?

Sounds good! See you in October after it's confirmed the 3090's aren't all getting space invaders.

🤷‍♂️
I have a launch 2080ti that at this point has been running solid for almost two years with zero issues. Not saying space invaders didn't happen, but even if they did the Nvidia store warranty is quite decent at 3 years.

3080 to 3090 over 2x increase in price, but only 20 percent increase in performance.
Originally thought about a 3090, but I expected more than 20 percent.

Only thing I wish is that the 3080 had 12GB of Vram.

Goodbye 1080, nvda finally made a product that the price/performance upgrade isn't close to 0 like the 2080Ti.

Same here. I still game at 1440p so the 3080 should utterly destroy anything at that resolution.

I also do VR, and the 1080 has been lacking a bit lately since I got an Index. Though that may also be due to my older CPU as well (CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade incoming as soon as we see what AMD brings with Ryzen 4000).

I'm also building a new system and waiting on Zen 3...I wish AMD would provide a date so I can at least start to have an idea when I can start building

I have a launch 2080ti that at this point has been running solid for almost two years with zero issues. Not saying space invaders didn't happen, but even if they did the Nvidia store warranty is quite decent at 3 years.

Unfortunately I bought a Zotac on launch day from a retailer and it died on me 31 days later. Dealing with Zotac RMA and paying out of pocket for shipping wasn't a positive experience. I guess I expected more from a $1200 product.

And Cyberpunk having DLSS 2.0 definitely makes that decision easier, since it reduces the need for brute force power to achieve 4K60 with max eye candy.
Since DLSS seems to be the AA of the future how much Ram does it need? Is the 10GBs going to be a problem using it down the road with more demanding games?

The best part of my day was reading this news....impressive. The worst part was watching the DF review......Control....meeehhhhhh........Death Stranding.......ummmmm.......Quake 2...............Borderlands 3..........*sigh*...................

So if I get this right the 3070 is faster than a RTX 2080 Ti and $500? Good luck AMD.

There is a reason it is priced like it is.... I smell nVidias fear with this launch vs Big Navi

699 for a 3080 .... Because they at minimum expect Big Navi to be at least that fast if not more. Start the price war now. With the massive performance claims of the 3080 over even the 2080ti I would expect a $1000 price mark but I was floored when I see their asking price for the 3080 given its huge performance bump.

This means AMD is a real threat and their corporate inside knowledge knows this.

Since DLSS seems to be the AA of the future how much Ram does it need? Is the 10GBs going to be a problem using it down the road with more demanding games?
DLSS doesn't use more VRAM. It just uses the output resolution textures. So it's higher than the 1440p render resolution, but about on-par with 4K native if that is the output.

From my experience, the 12GB on the 2080ti is more than enough currently for 4K. The 20GB is a bit insane on the 3090. Even if doing 8K native I can't imagine many games using that much.

Last edited:
I'm also building a new system and waiting on Zen 3...I wish AMD would provide a date so I can at least start to have an idea when I can start building

The rumors seem to indicate October, but who knows if that means widespread availability, or what.

There is a reason it is priced like it is.... I smell nVidias fear with this launch vs Big Navi

699 for a 3080 .... Because they at minimum expect Big Navi to be at least that fast if not more. Start the price war now. With the massive performance claims of the 3080 over even the 2080ti I would expect a $1000 price mark but I was floored when I see their asking price for the 3080 given its huge performance bump.

This means AMD is a real threat and their corporate inside knowledge knows this.

If that is the case then AMD needs to get some information out quickly. A lot of people have already been waiting (as evidenced by the "safe to upgrade" comment by Jensen) and are likely going to jump all over the 3000 series.

If that is the case then AMD needs to get some information out quickly. A lot of people have already been waiting (as evidenced by the "safe to upgrade" comment by Jensen) and are likely going to jump all over the 3000 series.

They were going to jump on it anyways.

Been to the Intel subforum before? There are die hard members over there that even if AMD Ryzen 2 chips are overall more productive, effecient, and faster in most everything, it doesn't matter. It was going to be Intel 10k series CPU anyways for them.
Same with nVidia.

However, I absolutely agree that AMD needs to come out with at least something as far as rock solid info for now. November is a long and frankly stupid time to launch a new halo GPU product after nVidia will have basically nabbed up almost all of that area of the market for this generation.

Or, 8nm is a lot cheaper to than TSMC 7nm. AMD isn't going to enjoy the margins if 500mm+ Big Navi is 3080 competitor.

Unfortunately I bought a Zotac on launch day from a retailer and it died on me 31 days later. Dealing with Zotac RMA and paying out of pocket for shipping wasn't a positive experience. I guess I expected more from a $1200 product.
It's worth paying the FE tax if you want these in the launch month just for the better warranty alone IMO that or stick with EVGA.

there's only a 2-3 week wait from Ampere availability to Big Navi launch so I think a lot of people are going to wait...it's not like there's some big 3-6 month gap

I'm going to test the waters for my 2080Ti on Craiglist, but I kinda need to make sure I can secure a new card first. The last thing I want to do is sell it and suddenly every 3000-series card is sold out for months. 1080 cards were tough to get your hands on for several months after release. I'm not about to rock Intel graphics for 3 months.

Absolutely. if AMD does not get anything out before Nvidia starts selling and shipping no one is gonna care about Big Navi but a few hardcore AMD fans.

At the end of the year, Nvidia will own 90% of the market. Unless AMD can beat the 2080ti for $399. Then it will be 87%

there's only a 2-3 week wait from Ampere availability to Big Navi launch so I think a lot of people are going to wait...it's not like there's some big 3-6 month gap

If you want a card in the next few months I would probably not wait. I can see these selling out quickly and who knows when more stock will be available.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
Absolutely. if AMD does not get anything out before Nvidia starts selling and shipping no one is gonna care about Big Navi but a few hardcore AMD fans.

At the end of the year, Nvidia will own 90% of the market. Unless AMD can beat the 2080ti for $399. Then it will be 87%

Just like we doubted Ryzen and it turned out to be a little monster that was not anticipated and now is dominating Intel ( a verifiable claim), I am really hoping that AMD will have done this time with Big Navi and really put the sweat on nVidia. We really need the competition in the market.

Just as with the past few years of releases, you generally are going to be waiting until the spring to be able to find them in any decent supply.

They can be obtained in the first three months, but you have to put the work in to constantly be checking the nvidia store & others hoping you can grab them. So you could easily end up in a situation where you won't have a decent card to play Cyberpunk 2070 in mid-Nov if you sell your 2080ti. At least if you keep the 2080ti you'll know you have a decent card to play Cyberpunk with fairly high settings.

Reactions: Auer
like this
If you want a card in the next few months I would probably not wait. I can see these selling out quickly and who knows when more stock will be available.

Scalping is not bad if its done with a sense of ethics behind it. Chances are you buy a 30x0 card right now, then they are vapor ware for a while, everyone wants one, then AMD drops their hammer on nVidia and you could easily sell your 30x0 card for exactly or more than you paid for it. So its really a good time to buy a GPU if you ask me. Worst case you buy a 30x0 series now, AMD does not deliver the goods, you still then have a badass GPU. Best case, AMD makes an absolute monster, and you can switch to AMD and sell your 30x0 for exaclty what you paid because die hard nV fans will still pay for it because they cant find them.

Total win 360 if you ask me at least for now. If you cant tell I am really anxiously awaiting to hear from AMD on Navi. For now I may still secure a 3090 in two weeks if I can even get my grubby paws on one for that matter. I will be at Microcenter with cash in hand on launch day. Well see, only time will tell.

Hurry the Fcuk up AMD

Scalping is not bad if its done with a sense of ethics behind it. Chances are you buy a 30x0 card right now, then they are vapor ware for a while, everyone wants one, then AMD drops their hammer on nVidia and you could easily sell your 30x0 card for exactly or more than you paid for it. So its really a good time to buy a GPU if you ask me. Worst case you buy a 30x0 series now, AMD does not deliver the goods, you still then have a badass GPU. Best case, AMD makes an absolute monster, and you can switch to AMD and sell your 30x0 for exaclty what you paid because die hard nV fans will still pay for it because they cant find them.

Total win 360 if you ask me at least for now.
It is highly unlikely AMD is going to offer anything remotely near performance of a 3090 or even 3080. If you know you want a 3090 waiting for AMD is kind of useless. Nvidia priced the 3070 at that price-point for a reason. Everything else above it AMD likely won't be able to come near.

Stupid thing is, here in the upside down (Australia) 2080 Ti price gouging from retailers because of supply chain disruption / covid; the 3090 isn’t actually that much more expensive and the 3080 is $700 AUD cheaper than the 2080 Ti. Assuming I can get on it quick enough. Take off the 10% sales tax I don't have to pay and it's going to be the first time in a long time that I don't just ship it to my US address from newegg as it's basically $100 difference, which I'd pay in shipping anyway.

I'm just laughing.

Cheapest in-stock 2080 Ti

2080ti.png

Vs

3000 series.png

Prices are better than expected for all but the 3090 and if the performance claims hold mostly true I might even consider the prices good but I would have liked to get some info about higher VRAM versions of the 3070/3080. I'll be waiting to see what AMD has coming out but I would have preferred a full launch with nda lifting on multiple models rather than this staggered launch thing they're doing. I get that they probably want reviewers to spend more time with each card but comparison reviews are all I'm really interested in and when they stagger it many reviewers are using different sets of drivers since they were tested at different times as well as other protential changes in the testing environment(some reviewers are obviously better about this than others).

I see that the fan on the backside is an exhaust fan like I guessed from the fan blade shape in some of the leaked pictures but I'm still not sure what of pulling rather than pushing the air accomplishes unless it maybe helps keep the 2 airflows separate.

I wonder if there will be a 3080Ti this generation; the high pricing and large VRAM of the 3090 gives ample room for a 3080Ti with the same fully enabled GA102 but "only" 12GB of VRAM. Ditto for an RTX Titan 3000, I know plenty of people who would put down $2999 for a 48GB card for their rendering workloads.

I wonder if there will be a 3080Ti this generation; the high pricing and large VRAM of the 3090 gives ample room for a 3080Ti with the same fully enabled GA102 but "only" 12GB of VRAM. Ditto for an RTX Titan 3000, I know plenty of people who would put down $2999 for a 48GB card for their rendering workloads.

I don't think 12 GB would be enough to make me pay $200-300 more for a 3080. Maybe 16 GB but even then, I think the VRAM requirement debate is a bit overblown.

(For gaming, of course)

In any case, I believe 20 GB 3080s are all but announced, but with later availability and we have no idea on pricing.

Curious to see if higher memory models will come out with AIBs or only in response to whatever AMD puts out.

What I am wondering......historically the Founders Edition cards have been $100 over AIB MSRP/SEP pricing of cards. I seriously do not think that is going to happen this time around.

Yeah I don't think it is either, having effective control of MSRP through the FE is one way they can make sure that the AIB vendors don't scoop all the profit by ramping up prices, that pissed them off for the last two generations at least. Plus it makes sure that competitive tension against AMD pricing is kept controllable. Way more important if they're competitive again.

Plus it's been obvious for a long time that increasingly Nvidia will be trying to disintermediate them. I'm pretty sure they'll go Apple style at some point and the AIB vendors will just fade away for the vast majority of stuff, just doing the niche "OC XXX Super Shiny Gross RGB Edition" that it's not worth Nvidia setting up an assembly line for.

Hmmm... on the surface the pricing is almost reasonable for 2/3 of those announced IF they map properly to tiers based on older cards. I'm most concerned here about the 3090 and hope that it takes up the "slot" for the former 2080 Ti; given the price, it damn well better. I really don't want to see them wheel out a "3090 Ti" six months down the line with insane $2000+ pricing or something, or even just "Ti versions" of the 3070 and 3080 showing up relatively soon and outmoding the previous variants. . Did they announce the 2080 Ti along with the rest of the lineup last time? Or was it like the 1000 series where (if I recall) the 1080 was hawked as the top of the line for awhile until the 1080 Ti came onto the scene (at what was then the price of $700! For the best of the best card!).

Regarding the RAM, it seems a little odd given the 3090. The 3070 with 8GB may be all right, assuming its an analog of the 1070 > 2070 type, but it seems like if everything else is stepping up a bit this would be the place to put 10 or 12gb on the card. The 3080 seems like perhaps it should have 12-16gb. 10gb is at least a step up from 8, it seems a huge difference from the whopping 24gb that is present on the 3090. Still, I'm glad that if they're going to be charging the insane (and increased by $200 from last generation I think?) price for the 3090, they're at least kitting it out in one regard. The big issue is going to be seeing that besides extremely high VRAM specifics if the performance across a wide variety of workloads is going to justify the price of the 3090 vs the 3080.

Ultimately I'll look forward to the benchmarks and upgrades, but I'm eager to see how AMD stacks up. If they can offer a top end card that offers comparable or better performance to the 3080, additional RAM, and an equal or lower price, I'd consider that a win. As much as I'd like for them to have a balls to the wall competitor for the ultra high end 3090 , if they don't I hope the tech "journalist/influencer/advertiser etc" group doesn't generate tons of clickbait giving the impression that AMD's lineup is worthless if it can't top NV's highest end part, as they often did in the past. I'd really prefer to support AMD for ethical and policy reasons regarding openness, but I'll have to see how things evolve. No matter which I end up buying, I'll be eager to see how the AIB partners variants stack up to the standard "founder's edition / reference" layout.

Edit: Hey, wasn't NV Founder's Edition supposed to come with some 12-pin connector ? The tech specs list the more conventional 2x 8-pin, which is nice to see.

What I am wondering......historically the Founders Edition cards have been $100 over AIB MSRP/SEP pricing of cards. I seriously do not think that is going to happen this time around.

The "starting at $699" makes me think the Founder's will be that price and AIOs will be at LEAST that price.

The "starting at $699" makes me think the Founder's will be that price and AIOs will be at LEAST that price.

Jensen quickly talked over little bit about that -- 3090 is $1399 (AIB) with $100 premium for founders ($1499) with all other models MSRP being same for founders and AIB. I'm wondering if that MSRP will hold? Will founders sell out really fast and all AIB then bump up prices?

My guess is AMD was tight lipped and on lock down until after nvidia revealed its hand. I expect more amd leaks to flow now.

Back