Jensen Huang announces Ampere prices

I think your best bet is to check best buy if you want founders edition. They always carry those. I'll probably grab a 3080 and see how it goes and resell it if Big Navi competes and has more ram or 20GB models start to pop up. I am sure it will retain its value and stock will be iffy for first 3 months or so.

I just a got an offer for $600 for my 2080Ti from a friend. I'm gonna take it. That'll take a little of the sting off the new card and everyone wins. I wish it was a grand, but at least I'm not settling for $400 either.

Your friend does well too, because you will likely have a hard time finding $500 3070s in stock for a long time...

I just a got an offer for $600 for my 2080Ti from a friend. I'm gonna take it. That'll take a little of the sting off the new card and everyone wins. I wish it was a grand, but at least I'm not settling for $400 either.
I wouldn't accept anything less than $700 from a friend, $750 from anyone else. If you wait you'll get more. The Ampere short supply and the scalpers with finely tuned Tampermonkey scripts will inflate prices and make a lot of people regret giving their 2080Ti away as gifts now.

People panic selling need to hold for a bit and ride out this wave of younger gamers with Turing cards that don't understand anything.

For the last 5 gens of Nvidia cards I sold the cards for more than I bought them for, after also using them 6-24 months, simply by observing the herd and historical price trends and doing the opposite.

Last edited:
These 3070 Super and Ti supposed leaks either seem like errors, placeholders, or some miscommunication somewhere. Pretty sure AIBs aren't free to use Ti or Super monikers as their own branding, to try to create perception it's something other than plain 3070 silicon with a slightly different memory layout or higher base/boost clocks set in bios.

This would be like if EVGA rebranded their 3070 SSC and 3070 FTW as 3070 Super or 3070 Ti just because they doubled the memory on the latter. Goofy, they wouldn't pull that.

Actual Super or Ti refreshes wouldn't come till March/April at earliest I'd reckon.

Last edited:
These 3070 Super and Ti supposed leaks either seem like errors, placeholders, or some miscommunication somewhere. Pretty sure AIBs aren't free to use Ti or Super monikers as their own branding, to try to create perception it's something other than plain 3070 silicon with a slightly different memory layout or higher base/boost clocks set in bios.

This would be like if EVGA rebranded their 3070 SSC and 3070 FTW as 3070 Super or 3070 Ti just because they doubled the memory on the latter. Goofy, they wouldn't pull that.

Actual Super or Ti refreshes wouldn't come till March/April at earliest I'd reckon.

I can't imagine March or April, unless they plan on moving to the 4**** series next year. Which is very doubtful these days. October is the release for the 3070, and probably won't be until November until they actually get enough supply unless they release on October 1. And I don't see a Ti coming 4 months after they start shipping them in number.

Extracted this from the EVGA forums about their models, prices, and dimensions:
  • Currently no pre-order planned. Similarly, no pricing is available at this time.
  • Like the US store, we cannot generally comment on availability at this time for the EU store. Availability, however, will not be any sooner than the dates NVIDIA mentioned for each GPU.
  • HYBRID, HC, and KPE cards will come a bit later than the XC3 and FTW3 cards. No ETA to give you, which is probably your next question.
  • HYBRIDs will be 240mm, except for KPE HYBRID, whch will be 360mm. No plans for a 120mm HYBRID at this time.
  • HYBRIDs will be 2 Slot.
  • XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.
  • FTW3 cards will be 2.75 slots. Length is 11.81in. - 300mm / Height is 5.38in. - 136.75mm.
  • There will be an EVGA NVLINK. No ETA at this time.
  • Since I've seen this mentioned incorrectly, all cards are 3 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI.
  • PowerLink is expected to work with the XC3 models. For obvious reasons, it will not work with the 3090/3080 FTW3 cards due to the number of PCIe power connectors. Either way, we will have the compatibility list updated when the cards are available on the website.
  • Step-Up will begin when cards are available. Products will not be listed prior to general availability. I would expect one of the XC3 models will be listed for availability, but we will make that decision prior to general availability.

Extracted this from the EVGA forums about their models, prices, and dimensions:
  • Currently no pre-order planned. Similarly, no pricing is available at this time.
  • Like the US store, we cannot generally comment on availability at this time for the EU store. Availability, however, will not be any sooner than the dates NVIDIA mentioned for each GPU.
  • HYBRID, HC, and KPE cards will come a bit later than the XC3 and FTW3 cards. No ETA to give you, which is probably your next question.
  • HYBRIDs will be 240mm, except for KPE HYBRID, whch will be 360mm. No plans for a 120mm HYBRID at this time.
  • HYBRIDs will be 2 Slot.
  • XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.
  • FTW3 cards will be 2.75 slots. Length is 11.81in. - 300mm / Height is 5.38in. - 136.75mm.
  • There will be an EVGA NVLINK. No ETA at this time.
  • Since I've seen this mentioned incorrectly, all cards are 3 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI.
  • PowerLink is expected to work with the XC3 models. For obvious reasons, it will not work with the 3090/3080 FTW3 cards due to the number of PCIe power connectors. Either way, we will have the compatibility list updated when the cards are available on the website.
  • Step-Up will begin when cards are available. Products will not be listed prior to general availability. I would expect one of the XC3 models will be listed for availability, but we will make that decision prior to general availability.

I wonder if Power Link did well enough for them to consider doing a new version with 3 8pin connectors. That might tip the scales towards me picking up an EVGA card over FE.

Hm.... does anyone know if the 3090 is going to be limited somehow (ie bus size etc...) on raw performance , both standard and raytraced compared to the 3080 type hardware? I've seen some discussion that the 3090 performance won't be "that much" over the 3080, except in special high-VRAM applications; perhaps not enough to justify that purchasing price.

I don't see NVIDIA putting out a card with over 10k CUDA cores, charging $1500 for it, and then holding it back. It's got ~20% more CUDA cores than the 3080, more than twice the memory, and ~23% more memory bandwidth, so I would fully expect it to be ~20% faster in most situations.

The big question will be how well the different cards overclock and how much of the gap between models you'll be able to make up with those overclocks.

Can't wait to see the benchmarks. 3070 is an especially interesting situation compared to 2080Ti. 35% more CUDA cores but less and slower memory.

Last edited:
I don't see NVIDIA putting out a card with over 10k CUDA cores, charging $1500 for it, and then holding it back. It's got ~20% more CUDA cores than the 3080, more than twice the memory, and ~23% more memory bandwidth, so I would fully expect it to be ~20% faster in most situations.

The big question will be how well the different cards overclock and how much of the gap between models you'll be able to make up with those overclocks.

Can't wait to see the benchmarks. 3070 is an especially interesting situation compared to 2080Ti. 35% more CUDA cores but less and slower memory.

I guess I'm not sure if 20% general use improvement is justifiable for the larger price difference. Maybe upcoming games (or software outside of the professional high VRAM usages we know) will really be able to use the additional VRAM so it can make a difference, but aside from that I'm just wondering if the really high price will be warranted for what may be a midding performance upgrade vs 3080 in most situation. Also, a hypothetical 3080 Ti / Super / AIB enhancement that offers 16gb RAM for instance, for say..$900-1000ish USD, I wonder how close that will come to 3090 for a lesser price. If the 3090 is essentially their "Titan" this time around it would be nice if they named it as such, so users can be aware its for a narrow band of either very specified pro-sumer uses or those who are willing to pay a premium for best-of-the-best even though it may have diminishing returns.

Last edited:

Agreed, OC testing/benchmarks will hopefully show what those possible gaps in performance are between models... However, if there is a gap, I expect the main thing contributing to it will probably be the differences due to VRAM, both in type (GDDR6 vs GDDR6X), as well bus width used (256/320/384). The fact that GDDR6 VRAM is used in the 3070 (and not faster GDDR6X like on the 3080/3090) combined with its smaller bus width, leads me to believe that overclocking the 3070 won't close that much of a performance gap against the 3080/3090, but will probably have it punching well about the 2080Ti's weight class. And I expect the 3080/3090 will most likely share very similar GPU OC potential given they also share the same GA102 node.

With the 3070 appearing to be even with and possibly even a bit faster than a 2080Ti, full on 4K gaming has pretty much arrived. And the fact that the 3090 appears to have enough custard to be able to support a playable level of 8K gaming is pretty insane. I'm thinking they decided to drop the "Titan" name on the 3090 becuase they are embracing it and selling it as the "ultimate" halo gaming and applications card - it is also priced much more agressively to move/sell than the past Titan... So there may even not be a Titan offering in the mix any time soon while the 3090 can do double duty. This is a pretty crazy jump in performance for this new GPU generation. RIP 1080/1440 gaming!

Last edited:
So double the prices announced due to artificial part restrictions. Yeah, won't be buying a new card any time soon.

According to TweakTown’s sources, the supply of RTX 30 Series graphics cards will be tight. Very tight. Absurdly tight, even, as one source suggests that NVIDIA’s GPUs won’t reach normal stock levels until next year.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...-gpus-could-be-impossible-to-find-until-2021/

Like I said in every other video card thread I have posted in since the 290, buy at launch or prepare to be fucked in the ass. Same goes when AIB card drop, buy at launch, or bend tf over.

So double the prices announced due to artificial part restrictions. Yeah, won't be buying a new card any time soon.
Honestly there aren't any games coming out this fall that you really need these cards for yet if you're already on a 2x00 series card. This is why i'll just wait a year. The scalping/supply on these is going to be insanely bad until late-spring.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Honestly there aren't any games coming out this fall that you really need these cards for yet if you're already on a 2x00 series card. This is why i'll just wait a year. The scalping/supply on these is going to be insanely bad until late-spring.

So my 2080 ti will be able to max out Cyberpunk with RT stuff on at 3440x1440 at above 60fps? If the answer is no then you are wrong about my needs.

So my 2080 ti will be able to max out Cyberpunk with RT stuff on at 3440x1440 at above 60fps? If the answer is no then you are wrong about my needs.
I have the same requirements, and if you want to play the scalper price-watching game be my guest. If I can play it above 30 FPS w/ DLSS enabled at 4K native i'm fine personally, it's not like it's a twitchy shooter.

This launch may as well be a paper launch in my mind given how impossible it is for normal people to get one before the new year.

I have the same requirements, and if you want to play the scalper price-watching game be my guest. If I can play it above 30 FPS w/ DLSS enabled at 4K native i'm fine personally, it's not like it's a twitchy shooter.

This launch may as well be a paper launch in my mind given how impossible it is for normal people to get one before the new year.

I'm not going to rush at launch to get one, nor will I pay scalper prices. I'll keep an eye out in November (maybe Oct, depending on how bills look) and snag a 3090 FE (probably, depending on waterblocks) if I see one pop up.

This is looking more like a paper launch with a token amount of cards released. If Nvidia is not selling Turing cards or very little and lower priced next generation cards that are not available, this cannot be good for their next quarter sales. Time to sell their stock before it nosedives. Wait, -9% already today! Except many stocks are down as well, AMD -8%. I guess you can sell a card for any price you want on paper and never really have to in the end. The price is only good if you can actually buy one in other words.

This is looking more like a paper launch with a token amount of cards released. If Nvidia is not selling Turing cards or very little and lower priced next generation cards that are not available, this cannot be good for their next quarter sales. Time to sell their stock before it nosedives. Wait, -9% already today! Except many stocks are down as well, AMD -8%. I guess you can sell a card for any price you want on paper and never really have to in the end. The price is only good if you can actually buy one in other words.
They’ll move cards. The issue is scalpers, and retailers not giving a shit about it.

They’ll move cards. The issue is scalpers, and retailers not giving a shit about it.
Upper end Turing cards are very scarce, if Ampere cards are non existent, Microsoft/Sony and maybe AMD if they can actually launch in numbers could have a knock out of the park period of sales. Nvidia too good to be true feeling, double the Cuda Cores, 2x performance . . . much cheaper cost per the performance is hopefully not.

The issue is scalpers, and retailers not giving a shit about it.
What exactly do you think needs to be done and how exactly do you execute that? (Serious question.)

What exactly do you think needs to be done and how exactly do you execute that? (Serious question.)
No clue, honestly. It's not my area of expertise. I just know I see retailers not putting item limits, and you'll see Amazon/ebay having plenty in stock from fourth (I say fourth, because they're garbage middle-middle-man operations, nothing more) party vendor/scalper operations. Most of these places don't seem to give a shit as long as they are making the sale. They do not care at all that some middle-man prime warehousing operation buys up all of Amazon warehouse stock as soon as it pops up, and just moves it to their shelf in the same warehouse to sell for even more money. Amazon only makes more money when this happens.

Last edited:
I would suggest that putting item limits on video cards has become a regular point of business nowadays.
Most of these guys have automated setups where the item limits really don't matter, or worse yet you still have retailers like TigerDirect that just don't give a crap.

This is why i'm not sure what the solution is, but I know that Amazon/Whomever have no incentive to fix the problem because they only make more money based off the other vendor sales.

Most of these guys have automated setups where the item limits really don't matter, or worse yet you still have retailers like TigerDirect that just don't give a crap.

This is why i'm not sure what the solution is, but I know that Amazon/Whomever have no incentive to fix the problem because they only make more money based off the other vendor sales.
OK. Well I guess there is no solution, only room for complaining about it. Carry on!

OK. Well I guess there is no solution, only room for complaining about it. Carry on!
Yes, carry on. Sounds like a typical paygrade E-9 type of response that I remember from my 21 years in the military, meanwhile, the FGO's couldn't figure out why they never got any feedback.

You don't need to have a solution in order to identify a problem exists.

Yes, carry on. Sounds like a typical paygrade E-9 type of response that I remember from my 21 years in the military, meanwhile, the FGO's couldn't figure out why they never got any feedback.

Well if you want to dig down, do you have any proof of statistics to back up what you are claiming is happening, or is this just something "you know?" I would like to see all the data, especially about Tiger Direct. Do you know the TAM of the cards you are speaking about? Please inform me.

Well, he is "Just Plain Mean" - disclaimer even says so right there under his user name. :D

Most retailers do place limits - even Nvidia does so from their store. While it may be difficult to get one right on release day, it won't be impossible. Just be ready with your credit card and have an account already set up with the vendor you are thinking of buying from - and make a plan for getting on to order as early as possible on release day... otherwise, yes, you'll probably end up having to wait a while for supply chain to catch up to demand. The Nvidia store doesn't price gouge - should be able to pick one up from them at MSRP if you are really ready to purchase. They also replenish stock without warning, so it helps to check often. That's how I nabbed my first Titan GPU the same day of release.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Well, he is "Just Plain Mean" - disclaimer even says so right there under his user name. :D

Most retailers do place limits - even Nvidia does so from their store. While it may be difficult to get one right on release day, it won't be impossible. Just be ready with your credit card and have an account already set up with the vendor you are thinking of buying from - and make a plan for getting on to order as early as possible on release day... otherwise, yes, you'll probably end up having to wait a while for supply chain to catch up to demand. The Nvidia store doesn't price gouge - should be able to pick one up from them at MSRP if you are really ready to purchase. They also replenish stock without warning, so it helps to check often. That's how I nabbed my first Titan GPU the same day of release.
The only and best solution is that every gamer with Ampere anxiety now *also* become an expert in Tampermonkey browser scripting, to neutralize the scalpers' edge. /s

Simply jamming the F5 key on Nowinstock all day long isn't necessarily going to cut it anymore.

The only and best solution is that every gamer with Ampere anxiety now *also* become an expert in Tampermonkey browser scripting, to neutralize the scalpers' edge. /s

Simply jamming the F5 key on Nowinstock all day long isn't necessarily going to cut it anymore.

The “best” solution is for people to sit back and bloody chill. Scalpers wouldn’t charge scalper prices if people didn’t pay them. However, that goes against our easily manipulated nature so.....

No clue, honestly. It's not my area of expertise. I just know I see retailers not putting item limits, and you'll see Amazon/ebay having plenty in stock from fourth (I say fourth, because they're garbage middle-middle-man operations, nothing more) party vendor/scalper operations. Most of these places don't seem to give a shit as long as they are making the sale. They do not care at all that some middle-man prime warehousing operation buys up all of Amazon warehouse stock as soon as it pops up, and just moves it to their shelf in the same warehouse to sell for even more money. Amazon only makes more money when this happens.

nV, AIBs, and Retailers can start by requiring members with certain account length, loyalty, and/or posts get first dibs (it seems to works here, to an extent, in FS/FT). I recall a retailer (OCUK, EVGA?) doing this for the Turing release and people were happy with it; OCUK has been known to clue in "quality" forum members on exactly when things are coming in stock. Limiting an account to 1-2 units help as well. There are also warranty policies that can discourage scalping e.g. only valid if bought through official vendors, but that doesn't really stop major retailers from jacking up the prices, it just curtails the scalpers. At the end of the day, none of these methods are airtight, but in combination make it unprofitable for scalpers to do what they do.

Back