Jensen Huang: Ampere shortages to last throughout the end of 2020

its too bad we will never know the real numbers with how many ampere cards actually shipped. Looks like EU got totally shafted with orders (from reddit). I wonder if all of EU even got more then a couple of K. Makes me wonder how many shipped in NA or the rest of the world in the first month of release...

its too bad we will never know the real numbers with how many ampere cards actually shipped. Looks like EU got totally shafted with orders (from reddit). I wonder if all of EU even got more then a couple of K. Makes me wonder how many shipped in NA or the rest of the world in the first month of release...
Individual retailers would know their numbers. For us there are some indicators:
  • Retailer reviews of product, normally a new product you have great participation good or bad => Very bleak for 3000 series buyer reviews
  • Steam survey should also indicate after this quarter something
Personally I went to get a card, several places, no go, not going to bend over backwards, waste time for a product that a company can't provide in a reasonable manner. If AMD has a good product and I can buy well that is what will end up in one of my rigs, plain and simple.

The most important thing for Nvidia is they can still say AMD is always the pursuer. Every launch that involves chips has a 2-6 month period where they have to build chip inventory. The more demand expected the longer it takes to build stock. Nvidia clearly went to launch within a month at most of getting back the first workable ampere wafers. Knowing there was no way they had stock to meet even a fraction of potential demand. Of course they may believe once AMD launches demand will be tamped down. Really they just didn't want to give AMD a win even if it ended up only being a month or two win. Can't have the general GPU audience believe Nvidia could be beat.

The real annoying thing here is how they screwed all their board partners out of whatever they could recover sales wise out of 2020. Sure there getting a handful of 3000 cards to sell... but stock is lite and demand for the last generation has to be heavily reduced so their volume is clearly down. This generations launch should have been a huge boon to them, instead it seems Nvidia sacrificed their GPU divisions quarters for a marketing win. Then we get mad when we find out some of those sales divisions are scalping their own product. Its hard to blame them seeing how hard Nvidia screwed them over.

Ampere wasn't ready for launch till probably December.

The most important thing for Nvidia is they can still say AMD is always the pursuer. Every launch that involves chips has a 2-6 month period where they have to build chip inventory. The more demand expected the longer it takes to build stock. Nvidia clearly went to launch within a month at most of getting back the first workable ampere wafers. Knowing there was no way they had stock to meet even a fraction of potential demand. Of course they may believe once AMD launches demand will be tamped down. Really they just didn't want to give AMD a win even if it ended up only being a month or two win. Can't have the general GPU audience believe Nvidia could be beat.

The real annoying thing here is how they screwed all their board partners out of whatever they could recover sales wise out of 2020. Sure there getting a handful of 3000 cards to sell... but stock is lite and demand for the last generation has to be heavily reduced so their volume is clearly down. This generations launch should have been a huge boon to them, instead it seems Nvidia sacrificed their GPU divisions quarters for a marketing win. Then we get mad when we find out some of those sales divisions are scalping their own product. Its hard to blame them seeing how hard Nvidia screwed them over.

Ampere wasn't ready for launch till probably December.

Agree with this. They wanted to get something out in front of AMD - especially into the hands of the Youtube streamers / vloggers and such.

Seeing folks like Jay, Paul, Stephen, and others having multiple sets of SLI 3090s is gross, all things considered. The whole 3DMark competition thing is not just dumb, but to me Nvidia playing the hype up at every single end user's expense.

If this is the "new" way doing paper launches, count me out.

Last edited:
I find the entire thing highly annoying. While it's not our god given right to have the latest tech delivered on launch, dribbling out stock and pissing off many gamers does not build good will. I bought a new monitor in anticipation of the launch, and now my current GPU (1070 Ti) is having to push more pixels and it sucks turning down settings even more. There's a bunch of gamers scrambling to find whatever they can get rather than what they really want, and even then, it's absurd that's not working either. I like EVGA GPUs with AIOs, but I guess I'll have to take what I can get, whenever it's available, if I want to play Cyberpunk in all it's glory.

Agree with this. They wanted to get something out in front of AMD - especially into the hands of the Youtube streamers / vloggers and such.

Seeing folks like Jay, Paul, Stephen, and others having multiple sets of SLI 3090s is gross, all things considered. The whole 3DMark competition thing is not just dumb, but to me Nvidia playing the hype up at every single end user's expense.

If this is the "new" way doing paper launches, count me out.

Exactly can't call it a paper launch... I mean Jay Steve and Linus all have cards to twist bend and pull apart to count the resisters right ? Must be lots of cards around. lol

Back