Jensen Huang: Ampere shortages to last throughout the end of 2020

Yeah, no. If AMD can only attain 2080Ti/3070 performance with their best offering, then I doubt a mid-cycle refresh is going to come near the performance of an nVidia mid-cycle refresh, let alone surpass it.

I'm going to guess that AMD would be better off hoping that RX 6000 is a huge success, then dump as much of that profit money into R&D for the next generation (RX 7000?) so that it can be a true competitor to whatever nVidia's flagship at the time is.
Yeah, who thinks it'll only match 2080ti performance? The one that people are saying will be ~2080ti performance was their 2nd and 3rd tier cards, not the top tier. Most people are assuming 3080 +/- a couple of % depending on the game. Nobody knows for sure, but you keep saying 3070 performance, but all indications point to 3080 or higher. I find it hard to beleive their 80CU RDNA 2 chip would barely outrun a Vega VII....

Until AMD shows their cards it is mostly gueses. I expect 3080 and better performance for general gaming, RT no clue, unique features no clue (useful or not). Which also means waiting for RNDA2 to see if that fits the bill or just getting a 3080 20gb when available seems the best choice for me., the 10gb 3080 just misses the mark.

I'm going to hazard that if AMD was only meeting prior gens performance, then nVidia would not have acted so drastically.

Yeah, who thinks it'll only match 2080ti performance? The one that people are saying will be ~2080ti performance was their 2nd and 3rd tier cards, not the top tier. Most people are assuming 3080 +/- a couple of % depending on the game. Nobody knows for sure, but you keep saying 3070 performance, but all indications point to 3080 or higher. I find it hard to beleive their 80CU RDNA 2 chip would barely outrun a Vega VII....

As with anyone making remarks about the upcoming RX 6000: I'm merely running off of current speculation based on published guesses on almost every PC tech site, as we have no bona fide performance data about RX 6000...yet.

I do hope that I am wrong and AMD's next gen flagship can at least match the 10GB 3080, in both performance and price. It's unfortunate right now for PC gamers and enthusiasts wanting to upgrade, because the GPU market has seemingly come to a screeching halt due to 3080 supply having gone almost extinct and the next Radeon lineup being just on the horizon.

As with anyone making remarks about the upcoming RX 6000: I'm merely running off of current speculation based on published guesses on almost every PC tech site, as we have no bona fide performance data about RX 6000...yet.

I do hope that I am wrong and AMD's next gen flagship can at least match the 10GB 3080, in both performance and price. It's unfortunate right now for PC gamers and enthusiasts wanting to upgrade, because the GPU market has seemingly come to a screeching halt due to 3080 supply having gone almost extinct and the next Radeon lineup being just on the horizon.

I think most of us are, but it stands to reason that nVidia wouldn't have created this veritable cluster f if something hadn't spooked them.

I think most of us are, but it stands to reason that nVidia wouldn't have created this veritable cluster f if something hadn't spooked them.

I suppose that would be one (or both) of two things: AMD or, more than likely, nVidia's stock prices.

I suppose that would be one (or both) of two things: AMD or, more than likely, nVidia's stock prices.

If it was stock related, they still would have been better to launch prepared, and pricing wouldn't have tanked like it did.

Plus even Kyle seems more bullish on AMD this time, and I can't remember the last time he was bullish on AMD, maybe the HD5970?

If it was stock related, they still would have been better to launch prepared, and pricing wouldn't have tanked like it did.

Plus even Kyle seems more bullish on AMD this time, and I can't remember the last time he was bullish on AMD, maybe the HD5970?

That's true.

We'll see soon enough...as I do hope AMD is bringing adequate resistance to counter Ampere.
*rimshot*

Me with my PS5 preorder, while y'all try to buy a card that doesn't exist.

url

tenor.gif

Welp, just when I came to peace with not getting a card until 2021, EVGA sent me an email to purchase an EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA. It'll be here Friday. :)

What date did you enter the queue?
I clicked Auto Notify on the day it was released. I re-clicked all of the Auto Notify buttons once I heard EVGA was putting you on a list for purchase. I assume the notification was probably from the first day notify. Is there anyway to tell for sure?

I clicked Auto Notify on the day it was released. I re-clicked all of the Auto Notify buttons once I heard EVGA was putting you on a list for purchase. I assume the notification was probably from the first day notify. Is there anyway to tell for sure?
From what I see on reddit, the date should be in the email you received from EVGA, also if you try to enter the auto notify again, it will tell you the date that you first entered the queue.

From what I see on reddit, the date should be in the email you received from EVGA, also if you try to enter the auto notify again, it will tell you the date that you first entered the queue.

I do not see it in the email; however, I checked the other EVGA 3080 notifies and they were 09/17 at 7:10 am. I'm assuming it was the same for this one.

Sweet lord, I entered the notification for the XC3 on 9/21...possibly just randomly, the rest of the models I did on 10/5 when the twitter announcement came out. Gonna hope my turn comes in the next few weeks or atleast before the step up which I could only enter on 10/3 due to fedex delays..

Gotta hand it to eVGA...this is a brilliant move to get customers to commit while providing a breath of relief to them. I hope a lot of the AIBs follow suit.

Yeah I just signed up for the EVGA notifications they probably have a few thousand already but it's better than nothing which is what I have now.

I guess I haven't been reading the same speculation articles...

"The new rumor of performance within "spitting distance" (which I love the use of by the way) of the GeForce RTX 3080 is what I'm also hearing."
Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7513...ce-of-geforce-rtx-3080-performance/index.html

"Navi 22 SKUs should compete with 3060 Ti / 3070 / 3070 Ti. Navi 21 SKUs should compete with 3080 and up"
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-6000-leaks-benchmark-performance

Most of the "leaked" benchmarks were assumed to have been Navi 22, not Navi 21, which puts Navi 22 at or above 2080ti levels... with Navi 21 being above that. Anyways, not worth getting into to much argument, was just curious where you were seeing this as everything I've been reading didn't line up with what you were saying.

As you said though, we don't have performance results, so this is all speculation either way. Until cards are in hands and review embargo is lifted, we won't really know. 3080 supplies haven't gone almost extinct... they started out that way ;). Yeah, it'd be hard to recommend someone to buy anything right now, with zen3 anouncment later today, rdna2 later this month and 3080's MIA, 3070's delayed... it's a mess, lol.

Kyle Bennett is sorely missed would love to hear his opinion on Nvidia. My opinion going to wait a save up for second refresh of 3000 series. Have two 1080tis and skipped 2000s series. Definitely want 20gb minumum per card. Dont like 10gb 3080 its not enough for future games for speed.

Kyle Bennett is sorely missed would love to hear his opinion on Nvidia. My opinion going to wait a save up for second refresh of 3000 series. Have two 1080tis and skipped 2000s series. Definitely want 20gb minumum per card. Dont like 10gb 3080 its not enough for future games for speed.

Post 79 of this thread...and some earlier (and later) posts.

His opinion isn't that hard to find in various threads.

Edit: It isn't particularly favorable if you don't want to look it up.

Last edited:
Most people didn’t lose their jobs and many spent this summer traveling less, eating out less, going to the movies less... Pretty easy to have money for that $700 GPU if you saved $4000 not going to Disney.
This year would have been Disneyland Paris for a family of five. When that was cancelled I was hoping to scoop up a 3090... However, even that failed to happen (stuck in EVGA’s checkout cart)

Now I am waiting to see what AMD brings to the table.

He has continuously shared his opinion openly since prior to hardocp even being a thing. If you want an hour long personalized video meet and greet for hardware advice I doubt he would turn your down for $1000.

He has continuously shared his opinion openly since prior to hardocp even being a thing. If you want an hour long personalized video meet and greet for hardware advice I doubt he would turn your down for $1000.

I'm his unofficial agent and the price is $5,000.

Thrill of the hunt is over for me on this card figured people will scalp throughout 2021. Scalpers creating an artifical market.

Last edited:
I feel like they had a launch date, and wanted to go regardless of supply, figuring it would slowly build up, but essentially obsoleting every hi end card on the market and slashing prices really threw a grenade on the market, making it the only card that mattered over 500$. Obviously AMD was starting to catch up and possibly release a truly competetive product, so they stood firm on their launch date, to the ire of all enthusiasts world wide. Based on the recent pricing on Zen 3, the 5xxx series, I feel like AMD is about to just price thier flagship card out of what could have been an Nvidia Killer. If they are 10% slower, with trash RT, and charge 649, I don't see any reason why not to just buy a 3080, especially with Cyber Punk on its way. If they went back to their roots, and priced it at $500, they would still make money, and sell 5-10x the number of cards. Unfortunately, i don't think this will ever happen :(
I'm his unofficial agent and the price is $5,000.
I bet you also have a horde of toilet paper to sell too. . .

I feel like they had a launch date, and wanted to go regardless of supply, figuring it would slowly build up, but essentially obsoleting every hi end card on the market and slashing prices really threw a grenade on the market, making it the only card that mattered over 500$. Obviously AMD was starting to catch up and possibly release a truly competetive product, so they stood firm on their launch date, to the ire of all enthusiasts world wide. Based on the recent pricing on Zen 3, the 5xxx series, I feel like AMD is about to just price thier flagship card out of what could have been an Nvidia Killer. If they are 10% slower, with trash RT, and charge 649, I don't see any reason why not to just buy a 3080, especially with Cyber Punk on its way. If they went back to their roots, and priced it at $500, they would still make money, and sell 5-10x the number of cards. Unfortunately, i don't think this will ever happen :(

I bet you also have a horde of toilet paper to sell too. . .

Nah, N95 masks are where it's at...

i'm really curious, i see so many ppl complaining about not being able to get the card(s) they wanted but i am really curious. How many of those complaining are actually going to change their purchase decision because of it? Will even 10% of those change their purchase choice? The reason i'm asking is because....... Why would nvidia change when they are STILL GETTING YOUR MONEY? What incentive do they have to stop pulling this shareholder first mentality when, in the end, they still get your $$$?

Back