Jensen Huang: Ampere shortages to last throughout the end of 2020

I really hope AMD is able to actually ship a product in reasonable quantity and teach NVDA a lesson. I am still going with NVDA (rtx / DLSS / drivers) but I really hope this shi*** launch costs them some major market share and teaches them a lesson.
It won’t.

I meant the demand is made harder due to the bots scooping up all the cards...if there were no bots and legit people got their hands on them then the supply would look much better

I am really completely new to the scalper phenomenon, I imagine that without the high price on second hand market how big demand is would not be know and could make the supply look better even if it is the same. But has long as 100% of the bot acquired card do end up in the hands of legit people quickly and not stocked in some people garage to artificially make them look rare and sold very high on ebay it would be the same, instead of instantly being all sold it would take longer but the same number of people would get their hands on them (just not the hardcore ready to overpay over MSRP too). I could also imagine that bots buyer could sell them slowly online to try to fetch higher price. But bot buying things can only work when demands is at least equal to supply I feel like and is lucrative if it is much higher.

The story about the demand being much higher than supply true could be true if they gave priority to the bulk buyer server farm type of clients (for AI, rendering and what not) and that their demand got higher than expected, it is not like it would be perceivable for us for that to be the case, but in the current world situation and how just pushed to the limit of not working those card seem to have been, the supply being low seem the probable thing.

1601952153850.png

I scored a Hybrid 2080 for $300, I think I’ll be good for a while. You can probably still enjoy Cyberpunk with a 1080 though. Worst case you can come back later with a new card for a second play through and enjoy more eye candy then.
If you saw the game specs it will be playable on a large range of cards.

I think they are counting on $900 to $1000 20GB cards to be largely sold so that they can make bigger margins, as expected by their shareholders, on all those ASICs.

Yep.

Either the yield of the Samsung 8N process completely sucks, the yield of the GDRR6X memory completely sucks, or they are building inventory for the RTX 3080 20GB launch at $999.

It seem to be much easier to get a RTX 3090 than a RTX 3080 vanilla card at $699 here, which at least to me implies that the Samsung 8N doesn't completely suck or that there are major issues with providing enough GDRR6X. Yes, the RTX 3090 is stupidly overpriced, but I don't think they have major issues with building them.

Remember...'a sale...any sale...is a sale'.
It doesn't matter if it is to a gamer, a bot or to a scalper.
Bottom line... Nvidia doesn't care who it sells to, as long as they sell a product.
It's not personal. It is reality.
Focus!

This.

We have had bot-assisted buying of stock for the last decade, and even before that you still had online demand overwhelm supply (see 1-year after Nintendo Wii launch, for an example.)

This launch is even harder to pull together because Covid, so I would be a bit mo re understanding of poor availability.

But one thing I have never seen from NVIDIA is waiting more than 3 months for demand to be met after launch, so be patient (other than the Etherium Rush, which happened a year after Pascal launched).

AMD has never been that good at solving demand spikes in their larger chips, so I wouldn't expect a miracle from them.. (290x, Vega 64, I'm looking at you!).

Last edited:
I think there are a ton of people with excess money caused by the pandemic and just looking for things to have some fun. This is creating higher than normal demand in a lot of markets. Friend of mine works at a marina they have a waiting list to buy boats. This summer I couldn’t find a mountain bike in stock anywhere for less than $3K...

Most people didn’t lose their jobs and many spent this summer traveling less, eating out less, going to the movies less... Pretty easy to have money for that $700 GPU if you saved $4000 not going to Disney.

Last edited:
I think there are a ton of people with excess money caused by the pandemic and just looking for things to have some fun. This is creating higher than normal demand in a lot of markets. Friend of mine works at a marina they have a waiting list to buy boats. This summer I couldn’t find a mountain bike in stock anywhere for less than $3K...

Most people didn’t lose their jobs and many spent this summer going traveling less, eating out less, going to the movies less... Pretty easy to have money for that $700 GPU if you saved $4000 not going to Disney.
Not to turn this into a political discourse, but the stimulus checks don't help things either. And it will only get worse if/when the second batch gets approved. Graphics cards and game consoles were always what I went for back in my early 20's if a big chunk of money fell in my lap.

Not to turn this into a political discourse, but the stimulus checks don't help things either. And it will only get worse if/when the second batch gets approved. Graphics cards and game consoles were always what I went for back in my early 20's if a big chunk of money fell in my lap.
Mine went into my house. What a sucker I am :(

Remember...'a sale...any sale...is a sale'.
It doesn't matter if it is to a gamer, a bot or to a scalper.
Bottom line... Nvidia doesn't care who it sells to, as long as they sell a product.
It's not personal. It is reality.
Focus!

Yeah kinda but only in the short term.

Selling out to scumbag scalpers in seconds does make your bottom line look good but pissing off your entire customer base doesn't make your company look good.

I have little doubt these cards would've sold out within minutes to legitimate customers anyway so Nvidia would've still sold the same amount even if all the POS scalpers had died in a fire the night before and they'd have the added bonus of not knocking EA off the #1 most hated company position.

I think it's more likely that Nvidia rushed the launch to get the jump on AMD and possibly the console launches before they had enough stock in place and just got caught with their pants down.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about a supply chain and how over the last 10 months it's been interrupted a couple of times due to massive shutdowns and since then less manpower because of social distancing protocols.

Every interruption has a ripple effect which means board components can become hard to get or more expensive.

Yes it sucks and the bots are partly responsible but covid has screwed this year up for manufacturing. A sff case designer is now in quarantine in HK so he can get into China so he can get the cases he's working on off the drawing board and into production.

These days, brining any product to market takes longer than ever. Get your heads out of your asses and be patient.

Does anyone know anything about a supply chain and how over the last 10 months it's been interrupted a couple of times due to massive shutdowns and since then less manpower because of social distancing protocols.

Every interruption has a ripple effect which means board components can become hard to get or more expensive.

Yes it sucks and the bots are partly responsible but covid has screwed this year up for manufacturing. A sff case designer is now in quarantine in HK so he can get into China so he can get the cases he's working on off the drawing board and into production.

These days, brining any product to market takes longer than ever. Get your heads out of your asses and be patient.

No one forced nVidia to launch in this state but nVidia, stop making excuses for corporations.

I was excited to get my hands on the new GPUs, but right now, I don't really care anymore. My current GPU is still holding up OK. COD warzone and other games I'm playing are still running fine. Also AMD coming up with stuff, so we'll see what happens.

Only good thing will see how AMD fares before Nvidia gets lots of cards out. Even though I have used Nvidia for years.

No one forced nVidia to launch in this state but nVidia, stop making excuses for corporations.

No one is forcing you to buy. Nvidia has shareholders and people like early adopters who would complain either way.

I am not making excuses. I am just explaining the reality that we live in.

Like I said, get your head out of your ass and realize that because China shut down in Q2 it has a ripple effect on EVERYTHING, not just computer parts. Clothing, toothbrushs, pens, it's all affected.

No one is forcing you to buy. Nvidia has shareholders and people like early adopters who would complain either way.

I am not making excuses. I am just explaining the reality that we live in.

Like I said, get your head out of your ass and realize that because China shut down in Q2 it has a ripple effect on EVERYTHING, not just computer parts. Clothing, toothbrushs, pens, it's all affected.

Written like someone who makes excuses.

This is 100% on nVidia, not the consumer, not Covid, and not forum posters.

Edit: I'll give a little more than an off the cuff answer.

Who cares about the shareholders? nVidia.

Who caters to the share price? nVidia.

Early adopters won't care if there is nothing to adopt, so they are a non-equation until a product is dropped.

People complaining either way is an excuse.

Covid Supply problems, are they consumer issues or supplier issues? Supplier, in this case nVidia. nVidia could have simply waiting till they had inventory at least at prior levels (all indications is we are looking at either very low 5 digit or high 4 digit product numbers available at launch, that is a new record for non-paper paper launching).

In any of the above, is the consumer to blame for wanting to get a hyped and marketed product, that supposedly launched a month ago (3080) and yet cannot find it anywhere? Is the consumer responsible for launching in Covid? Is the consumer responsible to the shareholder? No.

This is nVidia's fault, 100%, and the backlash they are getting is by and large fully earned.

Last edited:
Playable on a bunch of low end systems? Sure. This is the game I been waiting on to finally unleash my C9 OLED in all its glory. I won't settle for less and will wait til I can get my hands on a 3090 with a wb.

My reseller has been getting cards every day, 3080's are coming in around 20-30 of them per day, it is not enough as the pre-order count they had far outstrips it that they will be all counted for until 2021. I got tired of waiting on my 3080 and took a 3090 that popped in which was not accounted for. Online, you are at mercy of F5 refresh users, AND lots of bots.

Demand is high. A lot of people are still working from home and gaming way more thanks to lack of outside safe entertainment options. You can believe what you want on supply, demand, conspiracies etc. The fact is they are making them as fast as they make the chips and each one is selling as fast as they can stock them. Every hw review site says a 3080 is good, and with amperegate more a driver issue, the regular gamer doesn't care and wants the best.

Written like someone who makes excuses.

This is 100% on nVidia, not the consumer, not Covid, and not forum posters.

Edit: I'll give a little more than an off the cuff answer.

Who cares about the shareholders? nVidia.

Who caters to the share price? nVidia.

Early adopters won't care if there is nothing to adopt, so they are a non-equation until a product is dropped.

People complaining either way is an excuse.

Covid Supply problems, are they consumer issues or supplier issues? Supplier, in this case nVidia. nVidia could have simply waiting till they had inventory at least at prior levels (all indications is we are looking at either very low 5 digit or high 4 digit product numbers available at launch, that is a new record for non-paper paper launching).

In any of the above, is the consumer to blame for wanting to get a hyped and marketed product, that supposedly launched a month ago (3080) and yet cannot find it anywhere? Is the consumer responsible for launching in Covid? Is the consumer responsible to the shareholder? No.

This is nVidia's fault, 100%, and the backlash they are getting is by and large fully earned.

I am someone who is has educated himself over the last couple of months in how everyday things we take for granted get made and shipped around the world, someone who knows people in Asia in the manufacturing sector, someone with a friend who graduated with a degree in worldwide supply chain and logistics, someone who has a friend who has an MBA to put all the pieces together.

It's easy to critique, it's harder to educate yourself and ACTUALLY know what your talking about.

I have better things to do than chat with you.

I am someone who is has educated himself over the last couple of months in how everyday things we take for granted get made and shipped around the world, someone who knows people in Asia in the manufacturing sector, someone with a friend who graduated with a degree in worldwide supply chain and logistics, someone who has a friend who has an MBA to put all the pieces together.

It's easy to critique, it's harder to educate yourself and ACTUALLY know what your talking about.

So the education card comes out? You are trying really hard to put the blame for this mess on everything but the company actually responsible for designing, developing, marketing, launching and shipping the product.

Do you even understand what was said? I am not dismissing the logistical nightmare that COVID has caused, in any way. However, that logistical nightmare is fully the responsibility of nVidia to manage, they are literally the ONLY ones in this process that can. I can't, you can't, and the consumer can't. This mess is nVidia's fault, they could have waited to develop adequate supply levels but they didn't, to pander to the shareholder, to beat AMD to market, or to hide various shenanigans, none of that is the consumers problem.

I'm not concerned that you have better things to do.

So the education card comes out? You are trying really hard to put the blame for this mess on everything but the company actually responsible for designing, developing, marketing, launching and shipping the product.

Do you even understand what was said? I am not dismissing the logistical nightmare that COVID has caused, in any way. However, that logistical nightmare is fully the responsibility of nVidia to manage, they are literally the ONLY ones in this process that can. I can't, you can't, and the consumer can't. This mess is nVidia's fault, they could have waited to develop adequate supply levels but they didn't, to pander to the shareholder, to beat AMD to market, or to hide various shenanigans, none of that is the consumers problem.

I'm not concerned that you have better things to do.

C'mon, fellow [H]orde peeps...take it to PM and out of my thread, please.

Can anyone refresh my memory didnt they have supply/demand issues back at the 1080/70 launch as well? I kinda want to think they had these same problems then.

Can anyone refresh my memory didnt they have supply/demand issues back at the 1080/70 launch as well? I kinda want to think they had these same problems then.

This happens every big launch but people's memories are short (or they pretend that it is). In the end nobody except Nvidia knows how many cards have actually shipped.

I count only 3 sources of somewhat reliable "info" that I've seen so far:

1. GN claimed they're hearing from retailers that volumes are on par or higher than other launches.
2. Kyle claims that Nvidia is full of shit and volumes are actually in the gutter.
3. Jensen claims there's nothing to see here and that the cards are "shipping fantastically".

I had to wait multiple weeks to get the 2070 I wanted after those launched. I don’t think it’s uncommon for a new GPU product to be selling out extremely quickly.

This happens every big launch but people's memories are short (or they pretend that it is). In the end nobody except Nvidia knows how many cards have actually shipped.

I count only 3 sources of somewhat reliable "info" that I've seen so far:

1. GN claimed they're hearing from retailers that volumes are on par or higher than other launches.
2. Kyle claims that Nvidia is full of shit and volumes are actually in the gutter.
3. Jensen claims there's nothing to see here and that the cards are "shipping fantastically".

In all my years of being here, from reading reviews when I first went to University in 1999, to joining the forum and lurking in 2005, then actively posting since sometime early 201-'s, Kyle has never been the kind to just BS something for any reason. If Kyle makes a claim, he has grounds to make that claim (even if those grounds remain a mystery to some, but its not hard to piece together the kinds of networks and contacts someone like Kyle would have after 20+ years of tech journalism).

Not many have had the balls to stand up to the shit tech companies try to pull on their AIBs, customers, reviewers and each other, and I don't think anyone else has been blacklisted as much as him either.

So I guess, ignore the tidbits of knowledge at your own peril. I for one can't think of any build I have made in the last 20 years that [H] steered me wrong on, and my next build will be following the FPS review as its [H] but with a bit worse webpage layout (imo).

I had to wait multiple weeks to get the 2070 I wanted after those launched. I don’t think it’s uncommon for a new GPU product to be selling out extremely quickly.

I've been around for a lot of launches, I cannot recall one as poorly stocked and executed as this one (especially from nVidia). I have always been able to get a card day one, 900 series, 1000 series, and 2000 series.

Pretending everything is status quo and on par with prior launches is meme tier head in the sand.

Last edited:
So getting more data together on this together this morning, and I am confident in saying that the 3080 has had less than 8K units sold in North America to date.

To compare, the 2080 Ti released with just under 150K units at launch.

I am hearing ZERO back chatter of Samsung 8nm having production issues. At this same time, NVIDIA has made huge GDDR6X purchases, which further pushes the narrative that there are not 8nm production issues.

I truly believe NVIDIA is holding back 3080 ASIC inventories, till they can push retail prices on the whole well above the announced 3080 FE "MSRP" that NVIDIA used for marketing purposes and to greatly impact Day 1 positive reviews on 3080 value.

So getting more data together on this together this morning, and I am confident in saying that the 3080 has had less than 8K units sold in North America to date.

To compare, the 2080 Ti released with just under 150K units at launch.

I am hearing ZERO back chatter of Samsung 8nm having production issues. At this same time, NVIDIA has made huge GDDR6X purchases, which further pushes the narrative that there are not 8nm production issues.

I truly believe NVIDIA is holding back 3080 ASIC inventories, till they can push retail prices on the whole well above the announced 3080 FE "MSRP" that NVIDIA used for marketing purposes and to greatly impact Day 1 positive reviews on 3080 value.

So, does this mean that it's a combination of low GDDR6X supply from Micron resulting in low nVidia inventory being allocated for the 20GB 3080, 3090, and higher-end Quadro Ampere offerings so that nVidia can push more availability to those much higher priced units which have a much higher profit margin per unit, and manipulate their customers by steering them to these higher priced units?

Last edited:
Back