Jeffrey Marder Hates Pokemon Go

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Meet Jeff, he is just a regular guy living his life. And he is tired of Pokemon's bullshit. At least five people have disturbed Jeff by knocking on his door asking to catch Pokemon in his backyard. Five whole people! Imagine the horror. Jeff has filed a class action lawsuit and wants more than $5,000,000. That is $1M per person. Those bastards must have been seriously annoying. Well since this is a class action lawsuit, the dollars per person figure above may be a bit off.

Who has a yard big enough that you need to enter it to capture Pokemon from within? The capture range is huge. I know that and I don't even like the game!

Thanks NY Post..

Jeffrey Marder, 61, of West Orange, NJ, has taken the age-old battle between children and ornery seniors to the next level by going to court and demanding Pokémon’s creator stop people from playing on his property.
[...]
Marder, who is a personal-injury attorney, filed the suit in San Francisco and hopes it will get class-action status to include anyone whose property has been besieged by video-game freaks.
The hero who’s taking Pokémon Go fools to court

I'm pretty certain if you can see a pokemon to know it's in his yard you can capture it from the same location.

Alright, so his address is pretty easy to find. Comparing it to one of the "Pokestop" DB sites online, there is an actual stop at a Pizza place on the other side of the block - not on his property.

Go to his house, knock on door, ask if you can go through his backyard to get to the pizza place.

Maybe he'll sue the pizza place for being so close to his house?

Last edited:
lol @ lawsuit, but I was thinking on reading about the phenomenon with this game; when is someone going to take a stand against players trespassing. I guess it's now! I don't blame people for getting pissed about being disturbed. I don't have enough spare time to coddle or supervise people playing a game on my land nor do I trust people on my property. So how is game able to "use" my property as a Pokemon drop site or collection area w/out my consent??? Things to consider, although I've never been bothered by anyone myself, just things I've mused about.

And in other news, I read yesterday that a couple was charged for abandoning their 2 year old son outside their house while they went and played Pokemon Go.

g9YQt8t.jpg

What bullshit, has he tried to sue the Jehova's Witness's for knocking on his door and giving him copies of The Watchtower? More waste of court time for idiots trying to make a cash grab.

And in other news, I read yesterday that a couple was charged for abandoning their 2 year old son outside their house while they went and played Pokemon Go.

Abandon, as in they left the general vicinity or like got in a car and drove off? I'm not surprised anymore and would totally believe that they just left, but the media is really quick to pass judgement also, I mean light spankings are child abuse now. Everything is blown out of proportion, sometimes for good, mostly for not.

He is going to make more money charging people to go into his backyard to catch pokemon then with this lawsuit. Another thing, does he have a no soliciting sign up? If he doesn't then he is a dumbass.

Abandon, as in they left the general vicinity or like got in a car and drove off? I'm not surprised anymore and would totally believe that they just left, but the media is really quick to pass judgement also, I mean light spankings are child abuse now. Everything is blown out of proportion, sometimes for good, mostly for not.

According to the article they left in a car.

Couple Who Abandoned Son to Play Pokemon Go Arrested

$5M seems excessive (by a huge margin) but it was likely just chosen for effect.

I can see how it would be annoying. We have not had anyone try to enter our yard yet. Must not be near a good spot or whatever they are called.

Seeing that the app is GPS based, how bloody difficult could it be for them to only have pokemons appear in public, safe places?

Jeff seems like the type of guy that preorderd his ticket to Suicide Squad and found out that it was poop.

so many stupid lawsuits! the things people are trying to do for money. its a game, you can't control the society, just like a treasure hunt game. Of course, its the people responsibility to not bother strangers property and private property. Just put a sign on the door, no Pokémon allowed pass this lawn, go elsewhere. Simple. Why go after the creator of the game, just cause....what....dumbass.

So...He's mad that people are doing the polite, responsible, thing and asking before going on his lawn?
He's probably mad at the people who aren't and tresspassing.
It's one thing to arrest those who are tresspassing, but pokemon go is the root of the problem. They should allow people to submit exclusion zones that don't want to deal with the annoyance.

so many stupid lawsuits! the things people are trying to do for money. its a game, you can't control the society, just like a treasure hunt game. Of course, its the people responsibility to not bother strangers property and private property. Just put a sign on the door, no Pokémon allowed pass this lawn, go elsewhere. Simple. Why go after the creator of the game, just cause....what....dumbass.

One could argue that the game maker should be using the gps function of the device it is running on, to only display creatures to capture on public, safe property.

Neglect, regardless of what they were doing. Can't blame that on Pokemon Go.

Same with trespassing. Put up a sign - No Trespassing. If they do in your yard, call the Police. It's not a game problem, it's a people problem. The game is irrelevant.

I see it similar to GPS sending people into lakes. Use your brain a little bit and avoid shit like this. If you don't, then you get the consequences.

The game, the GPS isn't at fault. The person is. Take it out on them. Press charges when people enter your yard.

Or blame the game. The other millions of people playing it are getting by just fine without going into people's private property. Millions of other GPS users aren't driving into a lake. Millions of other people aren't hurting other people with whatever....

I say we start putting the blame on the person. If you're going into someone's yard without permission, you're trespassing. You should get in trouble. Game or no game, you're breaking the law.

Pokeman Go has become cult like. If you say anything negative about it you are immediately attacked by the worshippers (unless you somehow first compliment the game).

The guy doesn't want people (likely kids) running around his property. Lawsuit is a "bit" extreme, but why can't he have his privacy? I get it - catching them all is super important, I've been told, but lets all take a deep breath and players stay off private property.

Who has a yard big enough that you need to enter it to capture Pokemon from within? The capture range is huge. I know that and I don't even like the game!

This, most of these stories are complete horseshit.

The saddest part is that the documents linked spend more time talking about how much of a success pokemon go is than what the actual allegation is against the defendants. Its almost worded like its the blatant cash grab that it is.

Same with trespassing. Put up a sign - No Trespassing. If they do in your yard, call the Police. It's not a game problem, it's a people problem. The game is irrelevant.

I mostly agree.

It's those who are playing that are violating peoples private property, not the game maker.

IMHO, if you have a clearly defined yard, you shouldn't even need a sign. Honest, decent people with common sense should know not to enter your property either way.

That being said, if your yard happens to be close to a pokestop or whatever these things are (I don't even know what a pokestop is, but apparently they attract a good amount of traffic?) I can imagine that these transgressions at all hours of the day and night might become so common that it gets to a point where you are just fed up of always having to yell at people or call the police, only to have the cops show after the trespassing pokesters have disappeared, it could get to the point where you just get fed up.

While I do understand that the proper thing to do would be to ring the doorbell and ask, it can get quite annoying if you have people constantly interrupting your day to ask if they can enter your yard. I find myself annoyed when I wind up talking to someone at my front door trying to sell me great electricity rates/solar panels/a new religion. Having to put up signs to prevent solicitation and tresspassing is annoying too, looks ugly and makes you look like some odd recluse.

IMHO, No trespassing/no solicitation should be the default, even if there is no sign. I don't want anyone ever ringing my doorbell for any reason, unless I talked to them on the phone previously and invited them over.

I have a difficult time believing that he has really been this bothered though. I've had absolutely no encounters what so ever.

Pokeman Go has become cult like. If you say anything negative about it you are immediately attacked by the worshippers (unless you somehow first compliment the game).

The guy doesn't want people (likely kids) running around his property. Lawsuit is a "bit" extreme, but why can't he have his privacy? I get it - catching them all is super important, I've been told, but lets all take a deep breath and players stay off private property.

I would say its the opposite that the haters have become a fucking cult and go out of their way to make sure everyone knows how much they dislike it. The suit is bullshit and fake. The game dont even work the way he is claiming and anyone that spends more than 10 seconds with it knows this. Theres absolutely no way to know a pokemon is in his back yard unless they are close enough to catch it meaning they wouldnt even need access. Theres no magical compass pointing to his backyard saying something is there. Its bullshit, plain and simple.

I would say its the opposite that the haters have become a fucking cult and go out of their way to make sure everyone knows how much they dislike it. The suit is bullshit and fake. The game dont even work the way he is claiming and anyone that spends more than 10 seconds with it knows this. Theres absolutely no way to know a pokemon is in his back yard unless they are close enough to catch it meaning they wouldnt even need access. Theres no magical compass pointing to his backyard saying something is there. Its bullshit, plain and simple.
unless its the rustling grass they are seeing, I think if you see rustling grass your suppose to walk up to it for a chance of a pokemon to pop out. regardless all the guy needs to do is put up a "No pokemon catching on my property" sign on his door and problem solved, those that would bother knocking first are just going to leave after reading it, anyone else just treat like a normal trespasser? (your method is up to you, I find air soft or paintball guns to work wonders lol) It's amazing the amount of hate some people have for this game, its a fun game but I don't have to time to wonder with my phone out to play it. But some people just down right hate it and will blame the game for the silliest things. Already so many stories of people playing it while driving and getting into accidents so of course everyone blames the game instead of the retard driving the car. These kind of people are going to cause accidents regardless of the "reason" If it wasn't pokemon go it would of been facebook, youtube or something else equally distracting

suing for this is stupid. But Pokemon go is fucking stupid. Fucking nerds.

Yeah, so stupid for people in their 20s, 30s, and 40s to actually go out, socialize, explore previously unnoticed landmarks in their town, and exercise instead of sitting in front of the tube all day! Who do they think they are trying experience nostalgia in a way that doesn't involve Bonanza, The Munsters, Hawaii Five-0, or AM Radio! Stupid nerds! Get back inside in front of the TV where you belong! :rolleyes:

Good for Jeff... I'd love for these Poke fools to come knocking at my door... My dog really hates people on her lawn, more so than me by a long shot lol.

Reactions: zita
like this
Back