Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy

Poordevil

Gawd
How do these two games compare? I want to play one of them and would like to know peeps opinions on which of the two games is the better Stars Wars game.

Taking everything into consideration, mods, graphics, level design, Star Wars ambiance, the whole enchilada, which of these classic Star Wars games has the most to offer?

I preferred Outcast, but mostly because Jedi Academy, while good, was more of the same. They are both very enjoyable, and I'm not sure how someone who can play either would perceive the games. I played Outcast before Academy was released. I'd say the story is better in Outcast as well.

i played both WAY back, without mods or anything of that sutff, and i have to say, i liked jedi academy more, because you could create your own character. but i really enjoyed both, its probably just a matter of preference.

I say Outcast, though both are good. Both have very similar gameplays and graphics. It seems like Academy has some mods for it, but I've never tried any of them.

I say Outcast because I prefer its story and because I like playing as Kyle Katarn. Both are good, like I said, so you might as well buy/play both.

The story of Outcast is better. The combat in Academy is better (due to different saber styles). I played both a ton back in college, both are enjoyable. Wish they'd make an updated sequel.

The story was better in Outcast because in Academy they tried to make it less linear. That said, I enjoyed the mission design and gameplay more in Academy. Overall I'd say Academy was the better game, but you really should get around to both especially if you like the first one you purchase. And yeah, that series is in dire need of a sequel. I still have fond memories of the original Jedi Knight and it's expansion pack. "ohhh colored lighting!!"

The story of Outcast is better. The combat in Academy is better (due to different saber styles). I played both a ton back in college, both are enjoyable. Wish they'd make an updated sequel.

This. The story is better with Jedi Outcast by far. With the character of Kyle Katarn being more interesting than Jaden Korr, in Jedi Academy. Beyond that the game play of the latter game is far more refined which is a good thing.

I played the crap out of dueling servers in Multiplayer on Outcast..miss it dearly..

Yeah but they do not seem to run on my pc at least. I have both on steam and have not been able to play them since XP.

I'm sorry you're comparing Pineapple upside down cake to fried icecream and I refuse to be involved in declaring any such immoral and unethical favoritism.

Pity they have not made another game like these. Do not get started on Tie fighter vs X-Wing.

Between these two games and Soldier of Fortune 2, Raven really put out quality stuff at the time.

Wow this brings back some memories!

I played the hell out of these games. The multiplayer was awesome as far as I remember and I would frequently invite some friends over to play. I even had a skin of Grey Fox from Metal Gear and (my personal favorite) Duff Man who would say "Duff Man never dies... Only the actor who plays him!" when fragged. Good times it was.

This makes me want to get the games that should be lying around somewhere at my parents place to see if I can run them.

I have a confession. I have both games. Had them both since launch. I played the snot out of Outcast back in 2002 when it came out, I must have rolled the credits on that title 4 times. I really loved it, but I enjoyed it more after the first play through because I knew the puzzles and didn't spend hours stuck in a level trying to figure them out. Also, I became familiar with the controls which were rather complex.

I Have Academy but never played it beyond the first level. For some reason it didn't take with me back in the day like Outcast did. So instead of playing Academy I would replay Outcast. I just found both these games in my stack of ancient PC titles and wanted to play one of them. I played Outcast last night all the way through the first level. Had a blast with it taking out stormtroopers, admiring the excellent level design, and the graphics. The game still looks real good on my fw900 crt. Playing in the max res available in the menu with all the options on high; runs butter smooth of course.

But I was thinking I might install Academy and play it instead. Maybe I will install both and play a level or two of one then switch over to the other. Sort of a Star Wars extravaganza!

BTW am running the game on XP. This is why I keep XP on my computer, so I can play older classics that don't like Win 7. I have a second HDD in my comp for Win 7 so I have both OS handy.

Jedi Outcast has a better story, but I prefer Jedi Academy because the lightsaber combat system is much more advanced and you can use different fighting styles. Both games are really awesome though.

I recently replayed Academy and I still enjoy it. I agree with the others tho, Outcast has the better story. I logged a bit of time with both.

I haven't had any issue with playing it on either of the systems in my sig. Works in Win 7 just fine. There is a fix for the Ati cards to work.

I may have to blow the dust off of the Tie Fighter floppies and relive some of that.

Needs some JEDI KNIGHT: Jedi Outcast - Complete. Hi-res textures, etc xD

Outcast is one of my favorite games ever. Acadamy was good, but with the deep love I had for Jedi Outcast, it just didn't stand up, even if it did have some better gameplay.

Outcast is one of my favorite games ever. Acadamy was good, but with the deep love I had for Jedi Outcast, it just didn't stand up, even if it did have some better gameplay.

This.

The only bad thing I remember about Jedi Outcast that might not of been in Academy was the easy trick you could use to beat computer jedi/sith/reborn/whatever they were called. IIRC if you used force push/pull and then instantly used force speed you could cut them down before they could respond.

Last edited:
As I play through Outcast one more time, I must say the game is holding up great! An old action game that puts most recent offerings to shame. Devs don't put effort like this into single player action games anymore. It seems to be all focused on multiplayer. I haven't got the lightsaber yet, or any force powers, so the best part of the game is still yet to come.

All the talk here of these games not working in windows 7 got me paranoid so I fired up my Steam copy of Outcast.

It works with my ATi 5770 on Win 7 64 bit.

Outcast > Academy

Bought Academy on the last SW steam sale. I regret not buying Outcast instead. The best of the Outcast multiplayer maps are far superior to the best of the Academy multiplayer maps. Outcast multiplayer maps were built with jedi gameplay in mind, whereas academy multiplayer maps were built with regular FPS gameplay in mind.

Hmmm. It would not play on my old rig with a 5870. The game would load but never get beyond the inital splash screen. It would just sit and spin, mocking me. I will give it another go with my 480.

Akk - just play them Both! - Its like choosing which kid you love the most - you can't so you just have to play both of them equally.

I wish LucasArts would release another Jedi Knight game, they were awesome back then. Loved Jedi Outcast, didn't really get into Jedi Academy though.

So does anybody have any single player mod suggestions? I've been thinking about running through Outcast again.

Outcast story, Academy gameplay. I feel like I am opposite, opinion wise, on the first levels of Outcast before you get a lightsaber, but I found them intolerable. Mostly because I found the weapons incredibly horrible (slow).
Then again, I am a huge Dark Forces fan, and also greatly enjoy Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. I modded the crap out of those games. DF had some insanely excellent custom levels made for it (Check out df-21.net).

Just started Outcast, funny how I missed the "slower than sound" laser blasters :D

HalfLife2 just jumped a bit down the ladder though, amazing how close those two games are.

You got Jan Ors in Outcast and Alex Vance in HL2, they look alike, both playing the same cinematic role, terminal hacking computer chicks making funny comments. Oh, and both names are Male names in Europe, female names in the US.

You got the puzzle solving, flying electronic devices, that even look alike also, etc, etc. :p

I'm having great fun replaying OutCast, runs smotth on win7 32bit no tweaks, only had one bug where the "S" backward key got stuck so I had to reload.

/edit
Oh, and the annoying headcrab like creatures in the crystal mines I just bumped into :p not to mention the "replenishment" stations, sooo HL2, or rather, vice versa :rolleyes:

/edit2
Oh, and we got Reborns (zombies), oh, and we get to go through a prison :D

/edit3
Yehaaa, ventilation shaft fan breaking for the win :D

Last edited:
I never thought of that, MindBuster, but it's a good point.

The MP on these games - especially Outcast - has probably eaten more hours of my life than any other video game. I'm generally not a fan of shooter multiplayer, but something about the way you were highly mobile, quite hardy, and had a lot of options (force, guns, saber, etc.) made it a ton of fun.

Back