JBS cyberattack forces shutdown of all company's USA beef plants

here we go again. Just had a cyberattack that shut down ALL JBS beef/pork facilities today June 1, 2021

easy fix, just eat mor chikin

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/jbs-cyberattack-shuts-down-one-fifth-us-beef-production

Not so easy. That assumes there is a lot of excess chicken capacity.

We are likely to see shortages and raised prices for all meat proteins as a result, as people can't find beef and shift to other things, and then they have demand that outstrips supply.

Really would be nice if these stupid companies started taking cybersecurity seriously.

I know there is no such thing as an impenetrable network, but you can take steps to harden them, make it more difficult, and make recovery times shorter when not if it happens.

Not so easy. That assumes there is a lot of excess chicken capacity.

We are likely to see shortages and raised prices for all meat proteins as a result, as people can't find beef and shift to other things, and then they have demand that outstrips supply.

Really would be nice if these stupid companies started taking cybersecurity seriously.

I know there is no such thing as an impenetrable network, but you can take steps to harden them, make it more difficult, and make recovery times shorter when not if it happens.

I was under the impression there was already going to be a chicken shortage.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Need to spin up the horders and panic buyers.

So plastic bags were the thing for the gasoline "shortage". What are we expecting for the beef shortage? Hamburger in socks? A quarter side of beef strapped to a mobility scooter?

What a coincidence...:rollseyes:

Also, I like how all the MSM is reporting that Russia is likely responsible in less than a 24 hour period and yet theres 0 evidence provided to indicate that.
The company itself said the likely culprit was a criminal group based in Russia. Unless you want to accuse JBS of lying or being hasty, I don't think there's anything sinister. Especially not since Russia has a history of at least tolerating digital crime gangs as long as they don't attack domestic targets.

Reactions: travm
like this
I don't understand why they don't just use data diodes.. monitoring/statistics/logs are allowed to leave the network, but nothing gets in. Scan all media/systems through an OPSWAT terminal before introduction to the network. It should be common practice in this day and age for multi-million dollar corportions.. or multi-billion dollar corporations for that matter. You keep all your data secure, and only push out what is needed to a DMZ network that is public facing. If the DMZ network gets taken down, no harm -- just enter disaster recovery in short order and re-push the data from the safe side of the diode back to the DMZ. For control systems, you don't even need anything public facing, to eliminate outside attacks.

This really only leaves an insider attack vector, and possibly a supply chain attack vector if you aren't ordering equipment from trusted suppliers using tamper evident packaging. Both of those are easier to track down versus trying to scour the internet for traces.

But, this is either extreme incompetence, or a manufactured scenario..

I don't understand why they don't just use data diodes.. monitoring/statistics/logs are allowed to leave the network, but nothing gets in. Scan all media/systems through an OPSWAT terminal before introduction to the network. It should be common practice in this day and age for multi-million dollar corportions.. or multi-billion dollar corporations for that matter. You keep all your data secure, and only push out what is needed to a DMZ network that is public facing. If the DMZ network gets taken down, no harm -- just enter disaster recovery in short order and re-push the data from the safe side of the diode back to the DMZ. For control systems, you don't even need anything public facing, to eliminate outside attacks.

This really only leaves an insider attack vector, and possibly a supply chain attack vector if you aren't ordering equipment from trusted suppliers using tamper evident packaging. Both of those are easier to track down versus trying to scour the internet for traces.

But, this is either extreme incompetence, or a manufactured scenario..
Very few companies look at IT as an asset...

This might end up having an effect on America's obesity. If we don't end up chowing down on potato chips as a sub.

Need to spin up the horders and panic buyers.

So plastic bags were the thing for the gasoline "shortage". What are we expecting for the beef shortage? Hamburger in socks? A quarter side of beef strapped to a mobility scooter?
I just picked up two industrial freezers from Craigslist and have a cow in a headlock as we speak but it's not going quietly, we're both breathing heavily, probably more me than her. I think I may have underestimated this.

This might end up having an effect on America's obesity. If we don't end up chowing down on potato chips as a sub.
beef is not what is causing the obesity issues...

The company itself said the likely culprit was a criminal group based in Russia. Unless you want to accuse JBS of lying or being hasty, I don't think there's anything sinister. Especially not since Russia has a history of at least tolerating digital crime gangs as long as they don't attack domestic targets.
everything gets blamed on russia now, when 5 years ago someone was running around with a reset button....

I just picked up two industrial freezers from Craigslist and have a cow in a headlock as we speak but it's not going quietly, we're both breathing heavily, probably more me than her. I think I may have underestimated this.

Have to talk sweet to them before you brain them.

Yeah, they are a little bit like the Privateers of yore

Russia turns a blibf eye to them as long as they don't attack anything in Russia, and makes the lives of their perceived opponents abroad just a little bit more miserable.

Of course Russian Intelligence also gets to call on these groups for a little assistance every now and then.

This way Russia buys itself dome protection, gets to rub their thumb in the eye of eastern nations and just shrug and say "criminals, what are you going to do..." when called on it.

Thing is, there is very little we can do about these things, short of using unannounced drones in someone else's territory, or unceremoniously disconnecting countries like Russia and China from the global internet.

soylent green is not a meme.

Humans have a terrible feed conversion ratio. Even bugs have a bad feed conversion ratio. Mussels, shrimp, catfish, tilapia, and a bunch more sustainable farmable seafoods alone are better. And when you take into consideration what is digestible by chicken, Angus steer, and pigs, they're also pretty good.

And if outside forces decide to try to artificially restrict beef production, or any meat production, people will just go to the source. Even if it means eating beans and ramen for a few months while they save up enough to buy a deep freeze and a half carcass.

Humans have a terrible feed conversion ratio. Even bugs have a bad feed conversion ratio. Mussels, shrimp, catfish, tilapia, and a bunch more sustainable farmable seafoods alone are better. And when you take into consideration what is digestible by chicken, Angus steer, and pigs, they're also pretty good.

And if outside forces decide to try to artificially restrict beef production, or any meat production, people will just go to the source. Even if it means eating beans and ramen for a few months while they save up enough to buy a deep freeze and a half carcass.
You give most of these people an animal carcass and they’re gonna try to forage gluten free tacos. They’re that dumb. I’m not saying you or I can’t— but the average American couldn’t clean a bird, dress an animal, or even kill something.

You give most of these people an animal carcass and they’re gonna try to forage gluten free tacos. They’re that dumb. I’m not saying you or I can’t— but the average American couldn’t clean a bird, dress an animal, or even kill something.

I'm no butcher, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

Honestly, I just don't love meat enough that it would be worth the effort.

We've bred chickens to the point where they're mechanically easy to kill, clean and butcher. Steer and pig carcasses are mostly only difficult to butcher because of their sheer mass; the size makes the cuts easier to identify. Modern butchers use band saws for a reason.

Sheep are basically all clones of each other, FWIW. That is how thoroughly over-bred they are. And why they act the way they tend to...

I'm no butcher, but I'm sure I could figure it out.

But you don’t currently know. I’m not sure that’s a skill I want to learn when that’s the difference between eating animal based protein and not. To that point though I seriously doubt you have much to worry about. I don’t think this will cause a national beef shortage.

If it’s not worth the effort you wouldn’t that’s fine too. More for me 😉 I’m not worried cause I got hella brisket and tri tip in the freezer along with pheasant, deer, and I think some duck.

edit: although the amount of money spent getting wild game would have bought me waaaay more food than I’ve actually got.

Back