JBD microLED 2 million nits, 10,000 DPI (5000x4000), brightest, highest pixel density in the world

Ski

[H]ard|Gawd
LINK

From the Reddit forums, someone indicated this, "0.6 inch screen with a resolution of 5000x4000 and 1KHz, i.e. 1000 fps. Oh, a 1 million nits of brightness."

Can anyone corroborate if this is true? I'm a bit out of my depth in this area of tech.

True or not, I can't help but wonder what somthing like this would be used for. Eyeglass mounted monitor? That thing is going to outresolve the eye at any distance, so for there to be any kind of practical use, it either needs to become some sort of projector, or it needs to be very very close to the eye.

LINK

From the Reddit forums, someone indicated this, "0.6 inch screen with a resolution of 5000x4000 and 1KHz, i.e. 1000 fps. Oh, a 1 million nits of brightness."

Can anyone corroborate if this is true? I'm a bit out of my depth in this area of tech.
I wouldn't doubt it, but you won't be playing skyrim on that any time soon.

something like this would be perfect for cameras with electronic viewfinders. now that EVF cameras are moving up into the pro space there's more and more demand for tiny display panels with extremely high pixel density, brightness/contrast ratio, and refresh rates

something like this would be perfect for cameras with electronic viewfinders. now that EVF cameras are moving up into the pro space there's more and more demand for tiny display panels with extremely high pixel density, brightness/contrast ratio, and refresh rates

There's an application I hadn't thought of.

That could be pretty nice. SLR designs have always been considered a compromise in part because of the need to optically get an image to the viewfinder. This would eliminate that need on modern digital cameras.

They create these displays similar to how CPUs and RAM is made. It's pretty amazing, I can't wait to see the AR displays coming out with this stuff. They don't have real color displays yet, but it sounds like they're close to getting those which opens up even more possibilities.

Now that's a VR/AR display...
I bet magicleap is all over this.

Last edited:
I'm extremely skeptical. Two big things stand out:

1) The small size these micro LEDs would need to be. This would be waaaaay ahead of anything else. Samsung has been working hard on making LEDs smaller to do micro LED displays are just recently has made them small enough for use for big screen displays (they call their stuff "The Wall"). Now we are supposed to believe that some unknown company has come and managed to completely leapfrog them? I'm not saying it is impossible... but it is real unlikely. For shit like this there doesn't tend to be shortcuts, just lots of expensive R&D, which is something Samsung (and others) have been at for a long time.

2) These things would have to be orders of magnitude more efficient than existing LEDs to be able to achieve that kind of brightness and not melt. The higher the brightness of an LED, the more heat it gives off. You have to deal with that heat or it'll kill the driving electronics and, at these levels, melt the whole thing. Only other way would be to increase efficiency so more energy goes to light and less to heat. Again, this is hard to do, in the real world you find limits to system efficiency. It is very unlikely they've discovered some amazing way to make something efficient enough to do what they claim. Not even looking at the efficiency of the LED itself, just look at the PSU: Our most efficient SMPS are about 96% efficient. So for every 100 watts input power they put out about 96 watts output power and dissipate 4 watts heat. Now think about the kind of power you'd need for 1 million nits, that is going to be a LOT of heat given off just by a PSU, never mind the light itself.

Combine that with the fact their page is heavy on the marketing BS and bad design, light on the facts, I really doubt this is real.

1) The small size these micro LEDs would need to be. This would be waaaaay ahead of anything else. Samsung has been working hard on making LEDs smaller to do micro LED displays are just recently has made them small enough for use for big screen displays (they call their stuff "The Wall"). Now we are supposed to believe that some unknown company has come and managed to completely leapfrog them? I'm not saying it is impossible... but it is real unlikely. For shit like this there doesn't tend to be shortcuts, just lots of expensive R&D, which is something Samsung (and others) have been at for a long time.

2) These things would have to be orders of magnitude more efficient than existing LEDs to be able to achieve that kind of brightness and not melt. The higher the brightness of an LED, the more heat it gives off. You have to deal with that heat or it'll kill the driving electronics and, at these levels, melt the whole thing. Only other way would be to increase efficiency so more energy goes to light and less to heat. Again, this is hard to do, in the real world you find limits to system efficiency. It is very unlikely they've discovered some amazing way to make something efficient enough to do what they claim. Not even looking at the efficiency of the LED itself, just look at the PSU: Our most efficient SMPS are about 96% efficient. So for every 100 watts input power they put out about 96 watts output power and dissipate 4 watts heat. Now think about the kind of power you'd need for 1 million nits, that is going to be a LOT of heat given off just by a PSU, never mind the light itself.

Combine that with the fact their page is heavy on the marketing BS and bad design, light on the facts, I really doubt this is real.
Did you watch the video? Res is definitely high,brightness required his camera to really ratchet back exposure, so I'd say yes it is real. Its just not rgb for another few months.
It'll be using semiconductor based (no phosphor) leds. That's how they are made, same with laser diodes.
E.g. InGaN, GaInN, AlGaInP cover visible range.
Leds currently based on this tech are available over 60% efficient if you know where to get them. Lasers are not far off either.
Edit to add it's only for small screens, it'll never be a TV due to lithography reticle limits and other cvd etc process limits depending how they do this. Also cost and defect rate when scaling. This is ar/vr and maybe hud.

Damn amazing tech there, and isn't she a mighty fine, tasty treat too! Ahh, good looking women with brains, gets me a bit worked up I must say... I've been holding off an my gaming Holy Grail this long, may as well keep waiting.

these are single color so these would be amazing in a micro projector using a trichro, losses are huge in optics so not sure how much would come out the front, but if it's anything decent and this is true it's a huge game changer

Did you watch the video? Res is definitely high,brightness required his camera to really ratchet back exposure, so I'd say yes it is real. Its just not rgb for another few months.
It'll be using semiconductor based (no phosphor) leds. That's how they are made, same with laser diodes.
E.g. InGaN, GaInN, AlGaInP cover visible range.
Leds currently based on this tech are available over 60% efficient if you know where to get them. Lasers are not far off either.
Edit to add it's only for small screens, it'll never be a TV due to lithography reticle limits and other cvd etc process limits depending how they do this. Also cost and defect rate when scaling. This is ar/vr and maybe hud.

I understood 1% what you said, break that down for me like I'm retarded if you don't mind. And go more into detail regarding the physical limitations to scaling this to a TV size.

Thanks hermano.

Amazing. Thanks for the video. Being single color, over head projectors is what i am thinking. I guess It could make very cheap tvs either rear projector or super short throw too. Definitely has uses.

I understood 1% what you said, break that down for me like I'm retarded if you don't mind. And go more into detail regarding the physical limitations to scaling this to a TV size.

Thanks hermano.
I wouldn't even call it LED .. it just brings too much thought of ' traditional' led.
Not that i would know much more but this is almost like building a cpu that lights up. The only way you would see this would be with optics.. mirrors and lenses... You can do many things with mirrors and lenses of course.
But this is not something they will build to the size of a tv, that would be like saying a cpu die of 65 inches diagonal... I know GPU are getting close, but not there yet hehe.

I wouldn't even call it LED .. it just brings too much thought of ' traditional' led.
Not that i would know much more but this is almost like building a cpu that lights up. The only way you would see this would be with optics.. mirrors and lenses... You can do many things with mirrors and lenses of course.
But this is not something they will build to the size of a tv, that would be like saying a cpu die of 65 inches diagonal... I know GPU are getting close, but not there yet hehe.
Well said - this is for 'indirect' as such optical solutions only. No direct viewing. But if done well will change VR/AR forever.

It's far faster, far better contrast and far higher pixel density than anything we have currently.

Think a 100" screen with continuous running 10k nit, HDR, VRR, 1000Hz etc.

Not really, this is completely different than what is needed for TV/computer displays. These are fabbed on one chip. This capability has existed for quite a while, but it really doesn't apply to displays of much bigger than they have here.

You can make LEDs nearly any reasonable pixel size you want, it's just that there is no affordable way to put them in a larger area to cover a TV, expect that to be the reality for a long time to come. It isn't like OLED where you can nearly use a modified ink jet printing technology to lay down the required OLED material. Once you go beyond single chip displays, then you fabbing millions of individual LEDs and placing them. It's hideously expensive. Samsung talking about this is more about convincing people not to buy OLED, than it is likely that consumer Micro-LED TVs are in the foreseeable future.

This solution is aimed at Augmented Reality headsets, where they will be used as a sort of mini-projector overlaying real world.

Back