Java Applet shows up as gray box with red x??

mossman

Gawd
Whats going on?

This is what I have upload on my server:

Myprogram.java
Myprogram.html
Myprogram.class
Myprogram.$1class

I don't get it. When I just look at the html file right off my pc it works fine, but when on the net it has a gray box with a red x in the upper left hand corner.

What am I missing? All of my code is correct. What's going on?

Welcome to Java :)

You need to ensure that your browser is useing Sun Java Interpreter. It might take several installs and several re-installs and several re-configures but eventually it might work :)

If you can avoid useing Java, I'd strongly recommend you do (eg its non-assessment = its non-java :))

What does your html file look like? It could be linking to a specific path on your machine, that does not exist on the server.

Case sensitive...hmm...

When my class file was created it capitalized the first letter and therefore i guess could not find it. I changed it to lower case and matched the java file directly. Worked. Any reason behind this? It's not case sensitive running from my pc, but it is on the internet?

Windows at home?
Linux/Unix Server ?

Java Is case sensitive, Windows is not, thus
class PizZa should be in PizZa.java, PizZa.class, but under windows PIZZA.class/java and pizzA.class/java etc might work. When you go to Linux, which Is case sensitive, It must be in PizZa.class/java :)

Back