Jason Bourne 3D Causes Nausea, Protest In China

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Why would anyone convert a Paul Greengrass film to 3D? It’s a good thing that this “special edition” was never released in the States.

...many Chinese moviegoers alleged that the 3D version of Jason Bourne had left them feeling dizzy and nauseous. Others soon joined the chorus to complain that it was too difficult to see the original 2D version, as cinemas were overwhelmingly screening the 3D option. "I really felt sick during the fight scenes when I watched it in 3D," posted a user name azooombie on Weibo, a Chinese social media service, adding: "It was like a low-budget movie. I need to watch again in 2D." 3D is a dominant cinema format in China. The vast majority of China's estimated 37,000-39,000 movie screens were built over the past decade, and some 80 percent are equipped with 3D projection technology.

I always get ill with shaky cam. Ridley Scott used it in the opening scene of the Gladiator in 2000. It made me throw-up in the theater. I hadn't experienced it that bad since 1995's Strange Days. Every movie that uses it, I notice immediately as it makes me ill. The more shaky the worse it gets for me. It was definitely not invented for the Borne movie as this technique has made me ill for decades.

I always get ill with shaky cam. Ridley Scott used it in the opening scene of the Gladiator in 2000. It made me throw-up in the theater. I hadn't experienced it that bad since 1995's Strange Days. Every movie that uses it, I notice immediately as it makes me ill. The more shaky the worse it gets for me. It was definitely not invented for the Borne movie as this technique has made me ill for decades.
Dramamine?

Don't watch hardcore henry. I am not usually affected by shakey cam but HH was tough to watch even though i kinda liked it.

I hate the trend of handheld camera use in films.

I want them to get back to using proper camera stabilization at all times, regardless of the scene.

This bothered me immensely in the JJ Abrams Star Trek films.

I don't get ill or anything, I just find it very annoying.

I hate the trend of handheld camera use in films.

I want them to get back to using proper camera stabilization at all times, regardless of the scene.

This bothered me immensely in the JJ Abrams Star Trek films.

I don't get ill or anything, I just find it very annoying.

What's funny is the shaky cam is likely introduced when there's a shitload of gimbal stabilized cameras around.

What's funny is the shaky cam is likely introduced when there's a shitload of gimbal stabilized cameras around.

I know. They do it on purpose as an effect to signify motion/commotion/chaos in a scene.

I still just wish they wouldn't.

It's a tool in the directors toolbox I wish they would just stop using.

I wonder if they have ruled out the Styrofoam popcorn and the Shanzhai-made Future Cola the patrons were ingesting?

The only sickness I get is the annoyance of watching yet another movie/T.V. show with shaky cam, and no I don't have any problem with motion/boat/car sickness either. Well at least one day I know steady cams will be the new hotness (again).

They have taken excessive movement to the BBC news channels.
News readers constantly move their heads with deliberate poses as they read.
Not shaky cam, shaky head.

i get sick with any 3d movie, wrap around screen, imax kind of thing.

hell i get motion sick on giant cruise ships, busses, cars (unless im driving) anything that spins in a circle, and tons of other things. I feel weird getting off an elevator or even having my cat walk across my pillow while I'm laying in bed. Like my equlibrium keeps the movement going even after it has stopped.

oddly, planes and weird things like roller coasters I do not get sick on.

never got sick with non 3d movies though although some of the 60fps stuff on youtube makes me ill.

I get motion sickness as well, but I haven;t gotten it from 3d movies, at first yea but not anymore. I still get motion sickness thought. I can't game for more than 30 mins if I am 3 feet from the screen. I am going to get a xbox controller for windows to sit farther away. I know when I am 6-10 feet away it doesn't happen most of the times.

I get motion sickness as well, but I haven;t gotten it from 3d movies, at first yea but not anymore. I still get motion sickness thought. I can't game for more than 30 mins if I am 3 feet from the screen. I am going to get a xbox controller for windows to sit farther away. I know when I am 6-10 feet away it doesn't happen most of the times.

I don't have the problem except if I game on a big screen. Shit like rock band would make me sick after 30 minutes or so. One reason I still use a 20" monitor because I fear going bigger. I love gaming too much to risk getting sick doing it on the PC.

I also can't sit sideways or backwards on any moving vehicle or I'm toast almost immediately.

We watched it yesterday. I was annoyed by the shakycam, but I got through it. My wife got sick in a matter of minutes, she left the theather and got some dramamine. My kid didn't get sick but he told me he didnt't like it at all and he was the one who picked it.

We watched it yesterday. I was annoyed by the shakycam, but I got through it. My wife got sick in a matter of minutes, she left the theather and got some dramamine. My kid didn't get sick but he told me he didnt't like it at all and he was the one who picked it.

"I got through it". I remember when movies were fun.

Don't watch hardcore henry. I am not usually affected by shakey cam but HH was tough to watch even though i kinda liked it.

Hardcore would have been great as an HFR film, but since it was kind of a budget film in the first place they probably couldn't afford to use the necessary cameras to do it properly. It will be nice if someone revisits that style when cameras get cheaper.

Shakycam is a shit idea for the vast majority of scenes it is used in. Oh wow, look at that awesome fight choreography....oh wait, I can't tell what the hell is going on. I think the guy just got kicked, but it's also possible that was just a chair or something falling over since it's all a blur. It's okayish in the "found-footage" movies (though I thought most of them were terrible for other reasons), but only serves as an annoyance in other places.

For me the fish eye effect was much more annoying than the shaky cam.

-1 on the shaky cam. I think I would have enjoyed District9 more if it weren't for the stupid shaky cam. I was never able to get into it and see if all the rave reviews were true.

I have severe motion sickness. As a kid, I used to get HORRIBLY carsick. And Dramamine would make it 10x worse.

Just watching someone else play a 3D video game gives me a headache and makes me nauseous.

Mostly it's because my brain gets confused by all the different input. My eyes tell me we're moving, but my sense of touch doesn't register the movement of air, and my inner ear doesn't register it either. Ergo *HURL!*.

It's better when I'm in control (driving or playing a video game). When I got my first 3D card it came with a copy of Descent. I basically had to train myself to play in 3D, because my eyes kept trying to track every movement in the frame (hence the headache (eyestrain) and nausea).

I basically played until I hurled. Went back and played till I hurled again.

Basically had to take the next day off because my head felt like someone had lit Tsar Bomba off in it.

But, after that, I figured out how to stop trying to track the entire screen, and I can now comfortably play for a couple hours at a time.

The Bourne movies with their EXTREME SHAKYCAM, Star Trek, Gladiator, etc.
3D movies do the same thing to me. So I basically refuse to watch ANY film in 3D.

Shakey cam is nothing more than an insult to the viewer's intelligence. It's used as a band-aid when budgets don't allow proper fight choreography, or local laws restrict vehicle speeds, and the director hopes you are too stupid to notice.

Let us petition the White House to ban shaky cam? Who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I'm not a fan of the shaky camera technique. It's fairly useless and causes nothing but visual stimulation issues. I want to watch the movie, not be distracted by the filming technique and shaky camera is such a huge distraction. For me it kills the scene. I want to see it, the nuances of it. Shaky camera is like blur in many ways and for me it's not good.

If I were to rate movies on a scale of 1 to 10, every movie using shaky cam would immediately drop to a 1. It's stupid and unrealistic. There's some video games that use a similar technique for first person where they simulate head bobbing, but the thing is, our muscles act as gimbal stabilizers for our sight. No one actually experiences shaky sight or head bobbing unless there's something physically wrong, like having multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's.

I hate fight movies that use shaky cam to enhance fights. It fucking sucks! You don't fucking see old school Jackie Chan movies with Michael J Fox working the camera. It's just a technique to cover up bad choreography. Oh he botched that left hook, fuck it, throw in some shake or make an abrupt cut.

I recommend Quake 3

Its not only the shaky cam, but the fact the longest continuous clip is probably 5 seconds... Every god damn minute of video in that movie consists of like 59 separate scenes cut together.. But hey, then you don't have to have good choreography or acting or anything that makes it not a pile of shit....

I hate shaky cam. I don't like those movies where it's supposedly "viewed from the amateur camera man.... real footage!". BS.

Shaky cam to make it look like more action going on, etc.? No way. It gets annoying real quick. It's not sick inducing, but it's just annoying and seems like a very amateur trick that some kid at home would use. Doesn't seem like a large studio effect...

Anyone who defends shaky cam is an idiot. I will explain to you why shaky cam exists:

Filming movies requires skill. Filming fight scenes requires even more skill as well as more time. Hiring choreographers also costs money. Rehearsing choreography and shooting multiple takes of fight scenes costs serious money and takes lots of time. When someone like Paul Greengrass who has no fight choreography experience, no skill at filming action scenes, wants to film an action scene. He can shaky cam the whole thing and get it done in less than 5 takes thus saving a ton of money and pretending to be "an artist" while concealing that he's a no talent hack.

Movements catches your attention.
Camera shaking will make you watch and pay more attention even if there is no worthy content.
Cheap.

Back