Jar Jar Binks Actor Says He Considered Suicide after “Star Wars” Backlash

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Opening up on social media this week, actor Ahmed Best revealed he “almost ended his life” due to the tremendous backlash he received playing Jar Jar in the Star Wars prequels. It was the actor’s first major role, but it still haunts him nearly 20 years later.

"I had death threats through the internet," Best told Wired. "I had people come to me and say, 'You destroyed my childhood.' That's difficult for a 25-year-old to hear." Star Wars creator George Lucas, on the other hand, liked the character, and Jar Jar appeared again in Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005).

I, honestly, don't believe him. His character was CG and was before "social media." A percent of a percent of a percent would even know who he was. I bet you he could walk anywhere during the early aughts and not a single person would know who he was. I think he's compounding the complaints of the character as complaints to him.

Now, Jake Lloyd. That poor bastard.

To be truthful, I didn't even know who he was until this "broke."

But, I heard he's promoting some book or something.

I feel bad the for the guy. He got stuck with an obnoxious character in a much anticipated but almost universally hated movie.

I, honestly, don't believe him. His character was CG and was before "social media." A percent of a percent of a percent would even know who he was. I bet you he could walk anywhere during the early aughts and not a single person would know who he was. I think he's compounding the complaints of the character as complaints to him.
Maybe, but I have no doubt that there are Star Wars fans rabid enough to pay attention to who played the character they hated in a movie they hated...and rabid fans of anything are almost by definition assholes.

Opening up on social media this week, actor Ahmed Best revealed he “almost ended his life” due to the tremendous backlash he received playing Jar Jar in the Star Wars prequels. It was the actor’s first major role, but it still haunts him nearly 20 years later.

"I had death threats through the internet," Best told Wired. "I had people come to me and say, 'You destroyed my childhood.' That's difficult for a 25-year-old to hear." Star Wars creator George Lucas, on the other hand, liked the character, and Jar Jar appeared again in Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005).

Well, that just makes me feel old reading that.

Maybe, but I have no doubt that there are Star Wars fans rabid enough to pay attention to who played the character they hated in a movie they hated...and rabid fans of anything are almost by definition assholes.

Again, such a small percent. It isn't like today. It's much worse today because the connection is all part of the marketing. So, you have these public platforms that sort of encourage communication. However, with the type of connection...you have dicks and assholes.

He was fortunate to have his existence in the film covered by CG. Basically, regulated to a "voice role" even though he was on set. He could walk anywhere after that film and not a single person would know him. Unlike, anyone else in that film.

I'm not a fan of jar jar but id be pissed at whoever wrote the character treatment if I was really bothered.

Would've been a better plot if Jar Jar was found to be force sensitive and received training as a Jedi alongside Anakin.

Revenge of the Sith could have had Jar Jar (who was apprenticed to Mace Windu) cradling a mortally wounded Windu in his arms adding emotional drama to Anakin's betrayal.

Wow, Disney has some ways of keeping star wars on the news... How much is he being paid i wonder.?

Yes, we have to continue the "toxic fan" narrative. It could not possibly be that the films were shit, and were aimed at the wrong audience.

It just goes to show that you can't ever disagree with an SJW. They are never wrong, but you on the other hand, are always going to be a hate filled paedophile, sexist, racist, privileged, bigoted misogynist etc...

Last edited:
Yes, we have to continue the "toxic fan" narrative. I could not possibly be that the films were shit.

You can't ever disagree with an SJW. They are never wrong, but you on the other hand are always going to be a hate filled paedophile, sexist, racist, misogynist etc...

There's a difference between saying a film is terrible and telling someone to kill themselves or whatever. I mean, that should be fairly obvious and isn't the realm of "SJWs." I do agree they like to alter the narrative to "attacks" too often in other instances, especially when in regards to their logic. This isn't really that case though. It's about fan interaction and in a lot of cases, it is "toxic."

Weak ass mofo.

Stop caring so much what other people think and live your life.

O no they hate the character I played in a movie so i'm gonna off myself dude get a grip.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
People shouldn't blame the actor, he's just doing his job. I blame George Lucas for imagining such a ridiculous character.

I can imagine George sitting by the fire one night, sipping fine Scotch, and thinking to himself:

“Do you know what would REALLY sell a ton of toys? A goofy looking character who acts like a total moron and is the butt of jokes throughout the movie! Kids will love it and it will sell millions of action figures!”

Unfortunately for George, I think even kids almost universally hated Jar Jar too.

Fuck I’m old as shit.
Nah, you just need to let go of Jar Jar. What a POS character in a poor film that was.

There were *other* good star wars films. Don't blame yourself -- you got screwed buying a ticket for that crap like the rest of us.

Nah, you just need to let go of Jar Jar. What a POS character in a poor film that was.

There were *other* good star wars films. Don't blame yourself -- you got screwed buying a ticket for that crap like the rest of us.
I was 12/13. Blame my parents.

Although the woman who took us works for Lucas.

There's a difference between saying a film is terrible and telling someone to kill themselves or whatever. I mean, that should be fairly obvious and isn't the realm of "SJWs." I do agree they like to alter the narrative to "attacks" too often in other instances, especially when in regards to their logic. This isn't really that case though. It's about fan interaction and in a lot of cases, it is "toxic."

I think that if you (not you personally, I hope) are made of such fragile stuff that you can’t handle criticism, as well as keeping in mind that some of these people are just stupid, and will say stupid things, and should just be ignored. If you can’t remember how you lived through your schooldays, through the bullying etc, then you haven’t learned life’s lessons, and need to rethink about your approach to life, or do a different job.

And please spare me from telling me how certain female Star Wars actresses were hounded away from social media by sexist, old, white, male fans. They were not, despite what the media say.

At the moment we are only hearing about a very small handful of idiots, but not about the hundreds of thousands of fans that pour love and money over these people on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeho
like this
That's right, your soul still has some shine to it, don't worry we'll fix that.
I saw the new Han Solo flick, the light has been extinguished.
Not a bad summer flick, not a good Star Wars film.

I think that if you (not you personally, I hope) are made of such fragile stuff that you can’t handle criticism, as well as keeping in mind that some of these people are just stupid, and will say stupid things, and should just be ignored. If you can’t remember how you lived through your schooldays, through the bullying etc, then you haven’t learned life’s lessons, and need to rethink about your approach to life, or do a different job.

And please spare me from telling me how certain female Star Wars actresses were hounded away from social media by sexist, old, white, male fans. They were not, despite what the media say.

At the moment we are only hearing about a very small handful of idiots, but not about the hundreds of thousands of fans that pour love and money over these people on a daily basis.

There is a world of difference between criticism and sustained abuse. Don't blame the victim for being a victim. Blame the douchebags issuing the abuse. All your post is doing is defending the toxic pieces of shit in on the internet and excusing their behavior. That is the wrong approach to take.

The media is definitely painting a picture of the types of "people" that do that shit, but it doesn't mean those "fans" don't exist and are not a problem. Like the movie, dislike it, whatever, there is no excuse to attack and harass the people involved. Of course, on the other hand, it would be better if certain people involved with the franchise did not essentially egg people on by focusing solely on the minority of fans and trying to say that they're the only ones that didn't like the new movies. People like Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kenndy are making it worse for the actors.

I'd be telling everyone to "Kissa My Assa" while driving off in my Lambo

And really you're afraid of Star Wars fans? The ones that were that triggered by Jar Jar are the neckbeards that drive scooters.

How is this shit even news? I feel like this downplays suicide for those who really suffer..

I'd be telling everyone to "Kissa My Assa" while driving off in my Lambo

And really you're afraid of Star Wars fans? The ones that were that triggered by Jar Jar are the neckbeards that drive scooters.

How is this shit even news? I feel like this downplays suicide for those who really suffer..

Yes because an actor totally can't suffer with depression. Its impossible for people like that to have struggles. Attitudes like yours do not help.

Back