Japanese Government Will Hack Their Citizen's IoT Devices

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Numerous security experts have (justifiably) expressed concern with the security of IoT devices that enter the market every day, But today, the Japanese government is doing something about it, as they will start testing the security of their own citizen's IoT devices. "NOTICE," as they call it, will identify internet-connected IoT devices with "weak password settings," and notify the relevant telecommunications carrier, who in turn will notify the owners of the vulnerable device. IEEE Spectrum, who spotted the notice, notes that the government recognized IoT as a national security thread in 2015, and that they probably don't want any security trouble at the 2020 Olympics, when the whole world is watching.

The survey is to check whether the password setting in each IoT device is easily guessed (e.g., "123456", "password", etc.), and the survey will not intrude into the device or acquire information other than that required for the survey. As for the information obtained by the survey, strict safety control measures will be taken in accordance with NICT's implementation plan approved by the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications.

Numerous security experts have (justifiably) expressed concern with the security of IoT devices that enter the market every day, But today, the Japanese government is doing something about it, as they will start testing the security of their own citizen's IoT devices. "NOTICE," as they call it, will identify internet-connected IoT devices with "weak password settings," and notify the relevant telecommunications carrier, who in turn will notify the owners of the vulnerable device. IEEE Spectrum, who spotted the notice, notes that the government recognized IoT as a national security thread in 2015, and that they probably don't want any security trouble at the 2020 Olympics, when the whole world is watching.

The survey is to check whether the password setting in each IoT device is easily guessed (e.g., "123456", "password", etc.), and the survey will not intrude into the device or acquire information other than that required for the survey. As for the information obtained by the survey, strict safety control measures will be taken in accordance with NICT's implementation plan approved by the Minister for Internal Affairs and Communications.
I really like this because it feels like companies aren't trying at all.

Japanese government is going to find a lot of disturbing stuff about their citizens, much like the rest of the world already knows about. Something like this HAHA.

fAaOOzs.gif

Whats the quote about: Being ruled by evil men is the price good men pay for political complacency.

Last edited:
The Japanese government should just pay Google to do it for them. I mean, Google probably already has updated results...

This is overall a good thing, except I wish it was the Chinese government since much of the super cheap IoT devices are coming from manufactures there.

Of course of the flip side the Chinese government may not want to encourage security and privacy in their surveillance state.

Other than notifying the user are they taking penalty measure like on third strike a fee of 100$ for been proven dumb and dumber ?
Anyway, I think this is a good idea and others should embrace it. I would prefer if ISP took care of it directly instead of government having so much information in their hand but oh well can't have it both ways.

So basically everyone who says "they can set it up"?

Countless people happen into my back of the woods claiming they are hacked with passwords that are on the top 10 "don't use this password"list

You mean Japan is trying to close the door on all of the Chinese back doors purposely built into their products? GOOD.

I think probe would be a more appropriate term than survey in this case, since there's no manual response necessary afaik. Anywau, seems legit.

Every country needs to do this. And they should shame everyone about it. The consumer for buying products everyone for years has been saying are insecure. The sellers, the manufacturers. Everyone. Knowing you are doing something stupid is infinitely more valuable than thinking you aren't when you are.

Back