Japanese fonts in Firefox

Kurak

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I have Windows 7 professional. I know the OS itself doesn't support Japanese language/fonts but I would like to at least have them displayed properly in firefox, or IE for that matter. This has been possible since windows 98, can I do it on Windows 7?

Thanks

Simply displaying the Japanese(or any other language's) font is available in every version of Win 7, from Starter to Ultimate. The Language Packs that are available for purchase (or that come with Ultimate) are actually full translations of the UI, and aren't necessary to have if you just want to display the fonts or type in the language.

It's been a while since I set my computer up to do this, but there are two things you might want to try:

1) Try changing your locale to Japanese, restart when prompted, and then switch back to English.
Control Panel --> Clock, Language, and Region --> Region and Language --> Administrative --> Change System Locale...

2) Install the Japanese IME. This will let you input Japanese characters using your normal keyboard.
Control Panel --> Clock, Language, and Region --> Region and Language --> Keyboards and Languages --> Change keyboards...

Alternatively... you can open Windows Update, select "x optional updates are available." Where "x" is the number of available optional updates. If you have everything installed except language packs, the number will be 34.
Select the check box that states: "Japanese Language Windows Service Pack 1 for x64-based systems" and then click "OK".

Back