Japan to Vet Bidders in Toshiba Chip Sale for National Security Risks

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
With its US nuclear power unit, Westinghouse, suffering major financial losses and possibly even being in early bankruptcy talks, Toshiba has been looking to sell off most or all of its memory products unit, the second largest NAND producer in the world, to cover the costs. The Japanese government has announced that it has major security concerns when it comes to bids coming from certain countries, with some sources stating that companies from the United States are the only feasible bidders from a Japanese national security standpoint. Japan has further announced that they are willing to resort to using Japans Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act to block any sale to countries they deem to be a security concern.

This is said to benefit bidders such as Western Digital, Micron Technology and Bain Capital, while disadvantaging other interested buyers such as Foxconn and SK Hynix.

It will be interesting to see what impact this has on consumer costs of memory products.

"People familiar with the matter have told Reuters that Westinghouse, hit by huge cost overruns at two U.S. projects, had brought in law firm Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP as an exploratory step, but had not yet taken a decision on a bankruptcy filing.

Japan's finance minister said on Friday the company should decide in the coming weeks whether to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, freeing it up to report up to date earnings."

Wait, your telling me that Japan believes that only us companies are trust worthy and honest compaired to other companies from other countries? (Looks around at the crap us companies do for the all mighty dollar) Wow, that's says a lot.

The United States is Japan's closest ally, so it makes sense that, in the interest of national security, they'd prefer that the business be sold to one of ours.

There's tons of politics and nonsense that goes into this. When dealing with Asia, nothing is as it seems.

I grew up with it. Paw was an engineer for Fujitsu. He spent months there. Spoke enough Japanese to get by. Heard and saw plenty of stories.

It is amazing to think that a country that we nuked is close ally. But I'm glad it's worked out that way.

It is amazing to think that a country that we nuked is close ally. But I'm glad it's worked out that way.

In some ways it was more merciful to do that. Death before dishonor was (and still is) a strong cultural trait.

Many, many more would likely have died had they not done that.

In some ways it was more merciful to do that. Death before dishonor was (and still is) a strong cultural trait.

Many, many more would likely have died had they not done that.
If we would had to invade the home islands im not sure japan would exist today. we would have fire bombed and nuked ever inch of that island had they not quit

Back