Japan Finds “Semi-infinite” Trove of Rare Earth Elements

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Despite fears that the world could be running out of critical minerals, a team of researchers in Japan has discovered a massive reserve of rare earth elements: 16 million tons of rare earth oxide and various other elements were found, enough to feed global demand on a “semi-infinite basis.”

The world relies heavily on China for rare earths, with Beijing producing most of the elements currently available on the market. But Beijing has severely restricted exports of these products at times of diplomatic tension. In 2010, for example, Japanese manufacturers faced serious supply shortages as China limited the valuable exports.

2. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

3. emphy

emphy Limp Gawd

Small problem: it's spread in deep-sea mud.

Second small problem: the total amount is an extrapolation of an estimate of a sample area. So, quite possibly, an exaggeration of a factor 10.

trandoanhung1991 and Revdarian like this.
  4. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

Versus not having any...

5. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

They already solved that problem.

"The team has also developed an efficient method to separate valuable elements from others in the mud."

DocNo likes this.
  6. Mega6

Mega6 Gawd

Ha Ha!

sleepeeg3 likes this.
  7. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Semi infinite... fucking sigh, why cant they just say potentially large amount

jkmetal, M76 and DocNo like this.
  8. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Good, this will nicely reduce China's powers of "nuclear option" for trade disputes/wars.

the901 likes this.
  9. Derfnofred

Derfnofred Gawd

"Semi-infinite" = probably a botched translation from the Japanese original?

Also, just because there's this (potentially) huge reserve of rare earth oxides and a method of extracting them, there's no guarantee it's not without heroic effort and cost. On the other hand, not having a single source is a good_thing.

10. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Rare earths are heavy and sink to the mud and are usually created by undersea volcanic vents. Large areas of the pacific ocean near the mid-pacific ridge have been identified containing high concentrations of rare earths. Ocean mining by dredge has been practical for years but environmental and international rights (Who has rights and how much share) concerns have hampered development. The Japanese should develop this quickly to provided the best scientific data on environmental data so that ocean mining can become more accepted.

11. Cobalt35

Cobalt35 [H]ard|Gawd

No longer dependent solely on China. Thank fuck for that.

N4CR, d8lock and Etherton like this.
  12. wyqtor

wyqtor Limp Gawd

God bless their souls, they finally found something of use on those resource-barren islands, other than the wonderful people inhabiting them of course!

The only place I went to where I kinda felt just like a barbarian must have felt when visiting Rome back in the ancient times.

GhostCow likes this.
  13. c3k

c3k [H]ard|Gawd

How close is this mud to Fukushima? Maybe it’s related? Hmm....

14. Croak

Croak [H]ard|Gawd

You want Kaijū? Because that's how you get Kaijū...

DocNo and Hailwood like this.
  15. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

So does it count if we send all the raw material to China to be processed, and then manufactured?

16. kinjo

kinjo Gawd

Dear God please let this work out so that we can extricate ourselves from the grasp of china's monopoly on these materials.

17. daringx

daringx n00bie

There's plenty of rare earth metals here in the US. It's just that China undercut US suppliers so that they became unprofitable and closed down the mines. I think a few have reopened since China started their embargo tactics a few years ago and the DoD got anxious. Rest assured, the US is not dependent on China for rare earth metals in the long run...the longer we can reserve our stockpiles the better.

DigitalGriffin and the901 like this.
  18. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

Look at that island. It is shark-tooth shaped.

That had to be one massive shark!

19. MrTryfe

MrTryfe Limp Gawd

What the hell does "semi-infinite" even mean? It's either finite or it isn't. There's no "semi-infinite".

dvsman, Draax, DrezKill and 1 other person like this.
  20. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

It means that there's enough stuff for us and our children and probably then some. It won't run out in our lifetimes.

45454asasa likes this.
  21. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

There is a Canadian company starting a mine off Brazil. Sadly the hippies up here are already out in force to stop it.

22. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

They eat whales and dolphins... you think they care about environmental concerns?

23. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

It means at the end of the day we can knock it out of the ball park with enough senergy to decimate the competition. Even better if we use The Cloud to help with the AI computing necessary for the big data that is literally required as part of the solution.

Buzzwords and hyperbole. It sounds cool. That's all.

24. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

Semi-infinity...

your-statement-gave-me-forest-whitaker-eye.jpg

DocNo, dvsman and cyclone3d like this.
  25. Nobu

Nobu [H]ard|Gawd

Time to buy yen?

26. darrpara

darrpara Gawd

There is a local company here in Austin called Urban Mining Company that is building a massive facility to recycle electronics and extract rare earth minerals. Pretty promising with plenty of commercial and government (Defense Logistics Agency Phase II) funding.

qb4ever, daringx and the901 like this.
  27. jpm100

jpm100 [H]ardness Supreme

Reducing material to a slurry (mud) is a common mining technique, anyway.

28. jpm100

Kind of like 'running out of rare earth elements'?

29. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

"Place the turkey in a pre-heated oven. It's ridiculous! There's only two states an oven can possibly exist in, heated or unheated. Preheated is a meaningless fucking term" /quote: George Carlin

Cliffs: Some people have the dumb

30. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

More like "China is controlling the availability of rare earth elements". I like when there is more than one provider of something. Not only for competition, but I don't like one entity controlling something and only them dictating the rules and prices. The spice must flow.

31. cjcox

cjcox Gawd

This semi-infinite trove of rare earth elements will absolutely make your day occasionally!

32. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

Resource Barren?

When I visited Japan we stayed a week in Hagi. It was a veratible paradise of wildlife, trees, food, sea. Seemed a beautiful abundance through the countryside we visited. It’s the prettiest place besides Yosemite that I’ve ever seen.

33. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

dont think i would want to be on that "island" if there was any sort of storm. Looks like all it needs is one good wave to clear it.

34. defaultluser

defaultluser I B Dum

"rare" earths are not rare (despite the name). They're just environmentally messy to mine, so we left it up to the Chinese.

There are several mines here in the US that could re-open, if prices rose enough to afford the EPA cleanup standards.

35. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

That's OK. Their monopoly on everything else will ease their pain somewhat.

36. jpm100

China will go back to dumping if Japan tries to enter the market. Japan will likely use this for themselves and not try to export.

37. SecretStash

SecretStash Limp Gawd

Likely, and China no longer has leverage, even if the rest of the world still bought from China. And that's the important thing.

38. cjcox

cjcox Gawd

A recent Daisy Cutter deployment in Syria has accidentally uncovered a semi-infinite supply of rare earth elements in Syria.

President Trump has invited both Assad and Putin to a clam bake at Mar-a-Lago. BYOB (note: the second B is not the word "bomb").

39. 5150Joker

5150Joker 2[H]4U

Time for Trump to liberate Japan, they seem to lack a lot of freedom.

kinjo likes this.
  40. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

If we get our asses into space, we have access to a whole hell of a lot more elements.