Japan Considers Lunar Missions

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Japan’s space program may be feeling the pressure of the budding Asia Space Race and is considering missions that could put a robot on the moon by 2020 and a manned lunar mission by 2030. With China and India already enjoying some success with their space programs, Japan apparently doesn’t want to be left out.

"Some experts are concerned that unless there is an independent program, then Japan may be left behind in terms of space development," said an official from the Strategic Headquarters for Space Policy (SHSP), under the Cabinet Office.

The Japanese are already up there. They have a probe in orbit now which was beaming back pictures last year.

Here is a YouTube linky to some Earth Rise \ Earth Set videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lqe7YItg80

It is about to get pretty crowded around that old rock. US, Japan, UK, India, China, Russia...

(I am waiting for the conspiracy nuts to appear and say it was all done in a studio... van allen.. blah blah... ARF!!!)

I believe we gonna watched on YouTube ASIMO speaking:

HERE SELF-BALANCED WALKING ROBOT FROM THE PLANET EARTH
FIRST SET FOOT UPON THE MOON
XXXX XXXX A.D.
WE CAME IN PEACE FOR ALL CYBORG, ROBOTS &...3rd CITIZEN MANKIND

(hopefully no falling from teh stairs this time...;) & don't get it wrong I love it)

Then, they'll build NERV HQ there & doom the Earth in the Neon Genesis Evangelion fashion and conquer other Galaxy using reversed engineering tech from a mysterious 2nd Super Dimensional Fortress Macross buried under the Sea of Tranquility...

This is all a bullshit waste of time and resources by humanity.

Big deal that Japan or China or India or whoever puts satellites in space and men on the moon. They are just wating effort on something that has already been done, and reinventing the wheel.

Until humanity pools their resources and stops thinking in terms of individuals and individual nations, the human race will never progress and never make any real advancements. Geez, we're never going to get to Star Trek at this rate. There should be an international space agency which directs the efforts of all nations toward a common purpose and goals.

Of course you could say that about all human endeavor, but that is the subject of a different post. . .

When you consider how far we've come in other areas,space travel seems stagnant.I thought when we put a man on the moon decades ago,we'd at least done the same on Mars by now.At the rate they're going,I may not be around to see it.:(

Big deal that Japan or China or India or whoever puts satellites in space and men on the moon. They are just wating effort on something that has already been done, and reinventing the wheel.

Until humanity pools their resources and stops thinking in terms of individuals and individual nations, the human race will never progress and never make any real advancements. Geez, we're never going to get to Star Trek at this rate. There should be an international space agency which directs the efforts of all nations toward a common purpose and goals.

Of course you could say that about all human endeavor, but that is the subject of a different post. . .

...because I'm sure the common purpose and goal is to build a full scale battleship and fight aliens in some intergalactic war?

We made huge advancements going the way we're going, competition is good.

Boy are they gonna be mad when they find our moon base and get kicked off the moon.

Lol as it is, nations can't even agree on simple issues, let alone coming together to get us into space. WAY too much politics as it is, on Earth alone. Space? We can't even get our shit together RIGHT NOW.

I suppose the only way to get us united is if an alien race actually attacks us. People are always more united during war + sprinkled with fear-mongering.

You remember the International Space Station?

Yeah, that thing. It sucks, because no one agrees on anything and no one wants to fit the bill.

Many nations with many different cultures DO NOT mix in commercial/exploratory ventures. Just don't do it.

If that truly is the case, then humanity needs one prevailing culture and one government if we want to channel our resources toward space travel and colonization. From my understanding of interstellar travel, making humanity a space-faring species really WOULD require ALL the resources our planet could bring to bear, not to mention plenty of technology that hasn't yet been developed. Of course this prevailing culture would also have to place a high value on education and scientific pursuits. I feel like I've been born a few centuries too early, as I'd very much like to live in a time where humanity has advanced enough to colonize and extract the resources of other planets/asteroids/etc.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to settle for fiction like Star Trek and Mass Effect, and the occasional news blurb about incremental developments in rudimentary space programs. I hope that sometime in the future, humanity can get its house in order, and step out the front door into the waiting galaxy.

Oh, and on the main topic, I think Japan has a pretty neat plan for their space program, considering what can be reasonably expected from any space program in today's world.

If that truly is the case, then humanity needs one prevailing culture and one government if we want to channel our resources toward space travel and colonization. From my understanding of interstellar travel, making humanity a space-faring species really WOULD require ALL the resources our planet could bring to bear, not to mention plenty of technology that hasn't yet been developed. Of course this prevailing culture would also have to place a high value on education and scientific pursuits. I feel like I've been born a few centuries too early, as I'd very much like to live in a time where humanity has advanced enough to colonize and extract the resources of other planets/asteroids/etc.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to settle for fiction like Star Trek and Mass Effect, and the occasional news blurb about incremental developments in rudimentary space programs. I hope that sometime in the future, humanity can get its house in order, and step out the front door into the waiting galaxy.

Oh, and on the main topic, I think Japan has a pretty neat plan for their space program, considering what can be reasonably expected from any space program in today's world.

According to Wikipedia you were born in 2305.

In the Star Trek universe, a central government sounds good and works out but in real life that would be extremely dangerous since the persons who seek out that kind of power usually are tyrants and highly egocentric. I agree that we are at a rudimentary level regarding space travel but competition is good. It's good to see different countries trying out their space legs. I hope Japan have the ability to land some kind of robot on the moon. If anyone can build a robot it will be them. It just takes time and like you said, unfortunately we won't see anything substantial as far as space travel goes.

Didn't we make it to the moon in, like, the '60s? Odd how we no one's been able to even get close since then. :rolleyes:

Didn't we make it to the moon in, like, the '60s? Odd how we no one's been able to even get close since then. :rolleyes:

unless there is money to be made, no one will ever go to the moon...
if they discover oil or gold on the moon, trust me a bridge will be build to transport it here in a weeks time:D

Until humanity pools their resources and stops thinking in terms of individuals and individual nations, the human race will never progress and never make any real advancements.

Goddammit, the EU is threatening to go splitsville thanks to this recession. The EU. Forty plus years of shaping an alliance of first world nations together might be gone because Western Europe is refusing Eastern European countries with 700 billion euros in loans to them along with several members in the western part being catty with each other over just how to deal with this crisis while Germany doesn't do much of anything about it. If Europe can't pull through without getting frayed at the edges then we are a very long way from the world pulling together indeed.

I say any nation that can go to space should go to space. Otherwise, we will only be one world government if and when islam takes over the world...and after that happens, we won't be going to the moon at all.

I think we need to find those hidden star gates instead.

Japan’s space program may be feeling the pressure of the budding Asia Space Race and is considering missions that could put a robot on the moon by 2020 and a manned lunar mission by 2030. With China and India already enjoying some success with their space programs, Japan apparently doesn’t want to be left out.

idk why they would right now, their economy is heavily based on us consuming crap they manufacture, and well, its not happening right now.

Ca nall the enviro-whacko's go after them, I mean launching a rocket causes global warming and all. Plus why would they want to do something that has already been done. I think we know about as much as we will ever know about the moon.

I can see it now. China firing green shit at us from the moon via Robot LOL

Ca nall the enviro-whacko's go after them, I mean launching a rocket causes global warming and all. Plus why would they want to do something that has already been done. I think we know about as much as we will ever know about the moon.

They might be able to do it better.

We don't know much about the moon, which is why NASA has set goals to return to the moon with manned landings and establishing a research base there.

Back