January 2012 AMD HardOCP FX GamExperience

To everyone who had a chance to come by and have fun with us this weekend I wanted to say Thank you!

Your kind words are what make it happen and I want to be able to keep on doing it for many more years.

It was awesome! Even better than last year's event. I hope you keep having them, and they keep getting bigger.

I agree with psychowes about the one main raffle though. It definitely seemed like it gave more people a chance to win.

Btw, does anyone have any more information on the maingear t1000 stuff? I'm reading a little about it online, but I don't see where I can get it for my am3+ setup. Seems like a bit of work, but should be worth it if it does what it says it will.

I posted on their facebook.. on their website it just says 'coming soon' and I can't find anywhere to buy it..

I really hope they give some to [H] for a review! I just hope it works better than cheese.

I knew that would garner some flak :p

Didn't really mean too much by it, hence the quotation marks. It did look like there were some solid players, definitely dedicated since they were all there very early (I pulled into the parking lot at 10am but didn't get to get into the tourney) I just think there should be some kind of selection process other than first come first serve.

Small gripe, had a ton of fun regardless.

Good feedback, gives me an idea for next time.
Doubt BF3 will make a return. It's a nightmare!

I had such a great time at the convention. I was the guy that won the pickle eating conest. Then I won Asus's overclocking competion on the 990fx/fx8150 system. I gave away the motherboard I won from the pickle eating to a friend of mine who's just getting in to building a pc and pc gaming in general figured it'd be a great way to get him started. The monitor I'm totally keeping for me. But I just wanted to get on here to thank Kyle and the guys from [H]ardOCP and all the vendors who showed up. This was my first time attending a [H]ardOCP event, and I must say it was a blast! Lots of great conversations with a few of the product engineers from the vendors, and loads of other gamers. A BIG shout out to the guys from ASUS. They gave me a few tips after the overclocking stuff to get my rig at home rocking faces off. I already had an 990fx sabertooth and an AMD FX 8120. With the tricks and tips I learned from ASUS I was able to get my overclock from 3.9 ghz to 4.5ghz stable.

That's what is all about man. Next time bring a couple of friends.

This was the first hardware/gaming event I have ever gone to and it was a great experience. Admittedly I didn't know all the things going on, I think flyers would have been handy explaining what each company was doing, such as what types of contests were running (not many seemed to know about ASUS's OC competition, seeing as how they didn't even have 3 people compete on the Llano system overclock). Overall though it was an absolute blast, I got a free processor that I'm tossing to a buddy who's getting started on his first build. Can't wait for more of these events! Thanks to all the guys here that made it possible.

Good feedback. Thank you!
A sheet showing highlights would help people know what they want to hit and when.

I had a great time! It seems a lot bigger than last time, with much more stuff to check out, which was awesome. I really liked maingear's stuff, the way they designed their systems seemed very thought out.

The only thing I liked better at the last event was the raffle system. At the previous event, each raffle tickets were drawn the same pot, instead of each vendor doing their own. I liked it better because more people ended up with stuff instead of a lot of people walking away empty handed while some people carry off a huge haul.

I really like the direction that the event is heading, I can't wait for the next one :D

I see your point but sometimes the sponsors want to do their own thing. Next time if we do like stated above then most people will have hit those sponsors up for their ticket.

Took home a few prizes, corsair 600T and a seasonic x-750 PS. Couldn't be happier. I was at the July event and this one was hands down even better. I hope it continues bi yearly but hell I'll take what I can get. Thanks Kyle, Monte, all you [H]ard bastards for making this a baddass event.

The BF3 tourney was a bit ROUGH in terms of being squared away but heck not everything can be perfect.

OFaceSIG, I was admining the BF3 tourney. We made the best of it, that's all I can say.

To everyone who had a chance to come by and have fun with us this weekend I wanted to say Thank you!

Your kind words are what make it happen and I want to be able to keep on doing it for many more years.

No...THANK YOU! for putting own this awesome community event.

Everyone please join the Dallas / Ft. Worth, Texas LAN Gamers group https://www.facebook.com/groups/54813629624/

follow the event on twitter
https://twitter.com/#!/fxgamexperience

make sure you LIKE the event page for future updates!
https://www.facebook.com/AMDHardOCPGamExperience

and if you don't already make sure you follow Mr. AMD Terry "Catalystmaker"
https://twitter.com/#!/CatalystMaker

I am fausto412 on twitter, steam, origin and battlelog.

also join the 972/214 platoon on battlelog to play with DFW gamers
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391302216168/

For anyone else that was there and interested in Maingear's T1000,
They said it will go on sale this week through Amazon, Performance-PC, and FrozenCPU.

Remember the CRVD curved display form CES that cost $6500 frm Ostendo? this looks liek that with projectors outside instead of inside the set. I wonder why we don;t see manufacturers making curved gaming displays for mainstream PC gamers.

Thank you for hosting another fantastic event! I'm very pleased to see it grow in attendance.
Also, it seemed like there was always something going on at the stage. So much in fact that my feet were on fire at the end of the day from standing so much. :p (voice was pretty rough from yelling too)

The pickles + juice had to have been the worst/best competition. I didn't catch the winner's name/handle - but he WANTED stuff in a [H]ard way. :D Well done & congrats!

Here are a few pics I snapped -
dsc0053sk.jpg

dsc0052hz.jpg

dsc0068fz.jpg

dsc0064ti.jpg

Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Where/When exactly was the overclocking thing?

I didn't hear anything about it until they announced the winners.

I had a great time! It seems a lot bigger than last time, with much more stuff to check out, which was awesome. I really liked maingear's stuff, the way they designed their systems seemed very thought out.

The only thing I liked better at the last event was the raffle system. At the previous event, each raffle tickets were drawn the same pot, instead of each vendor doing their own. I liked it better because more people ended up with stuff instead of a lot of people walking away empty handed while some people carry off a huge haul.

I really like the direction that the event is heading, I can't wait for the next one :D

I agree with the ticket thing, but not just because of the more prizes for more people thing- It was hard to keep track of all of those tickets I had. There were the 2 from MSI, the 4 from MainGear, The one from entering the event, 2 from someone else I can't even remember, and then apparently there were some from Antec(I went by, failed at the quiz, but was never offered a raffle ticket).

However, when they did contests that were just enter your name and we choose a winner I thought that was kind of cool. No checking to see if your number matches, no worrying that you could lose your raffle ticket. It was awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

I'd also like to see some sort of way to help people in tournies get their prizes. I understand that they have a chance at prizes from the tourney, but what happens if they don't win? Is it worth it to them to leave their team hanging to run over and get a prize that might be worth more than the tourney prize?

That being said, I liked most of the stuff at the event. The Vendors were awesome, and gave out some cool stuff(I really like the travelers mug that MSI gave out). They were talkative and would answer any of the questions you had, and if they couldn't they'd give you an email of someone who could. The monitor stands were cool to check out(and it was neat that it wasn't some big vendor, but some guys who started a business from their forums). Firefall looks awesome(I've been hearing awesome things about it).

A big point that I'd like go with is that I liked the event space a WHOLE lot more than the last one. It was roomy, there were places to sit, and they had some pretty good food for pretty fair prices(And that's something that's hard for ANY event to say they had).

I've never heard of this website/event until one of my friends invited me to it this month! I'm really glad I went because it was one of the best weekends I've had in a LONG time! All I wanted was a free tshirt and I ended up with the Radeon 7970 vid card from Sapphire!!!!!!! I'm soooo happy I got it because I literally just built my first PC on Sunday! Since they are having it shipped to me I'm dying of anticipation!!! :D

This is another freaking fantastic event to add to my calendar! Big thanks to everyone who was there and made this possible!!!! See you next year! <3

I agree with the ticket thing, but not just because of the more prizes for more people thing- It was hard to keep track of all of those tickets I had. There were the 2 from MSI, the 4 from MainGear, The one from entering the event, 2 from someone else I can't even remember, and then apparently there were some from Antec(I went by, failed at the quiz, but was never offered a raffle ticket).

However, when they did contests that were just enter your name and we choose a winner I thought that was kind of cool. No checking to see if your number matches, no worrying that you could lose your raffle ticket. It was awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

I'd also like to see some sort of way to help people in tournies get their prizes. I understand that they have a chance at prizes from the tourney, but what happens if they don't win? Is it worth it to them to leave their team hanging to run over and get a prize that might be worth more than the tourney prize?

That being said, I liked most of the stuff at the event. The Vendors were awesome, and gave out some cool stuff(I really like the travelers mug that MSI gave out). They were talkative and would answer any of the questions you had, and if they couldn't they'd give you an email of someone who could. The monitor stands were cool to check out(and it was neat that it wasn't some big vendor, but some guys who started a business from their forums). Firefall looks awesome(I've been hearing awesome things about it).

A big point that I'd like go with is that I liked the event space a WHOLE lot more than the last one. It was roomy, there were places to sit, and they had some pretty good food for pretty fair prices(And that's something that's hard for ANY event to say they had).

Agreed on all of that. All of the people I went with got called for the Blacklight tournament just before Corsair started their raffle, so we didn't go to the tournament.

The food was awesome for the price though. I hope they keep the same venue for future events.

Last edited:
It was at the Republic of Gamers booth for the entire day (in the corner across from Asus).

Ah, don't know how I missed it.

The board that not enough people even tried to overclock was the one I really wanted too. :(

Oops no automerge here, sorry about that.

I've never heard of this website/event until one of my friends invited me to it this month! I'm really glad I went because it was one of the best weekends I've had in a LONG time! All I wanted was a free tshirt and I ended up with the Radeon 7970 vid card from Sapphire!!!!!!! I'm soooo happy I got it because I literally just built my first PC on Sunday! Since they are having it shipped to me I'm dying of anticipation!!! :D

This is another freaking fantastic event to add to my calendar! Big thanks to everyone who was there and made this possible!!!! See you next year! <3

Welcome to the website Forune, glad you and Lykos had a good time :)

I agree with these points as well, and I would like to offer a bit of critique myself if that is alright. The event was awesome, but there are always a few things one can improve on:

1. Itinerary. It would be nice if there was a website with a schedule of what was going to happen during the day, who would be doing what, and what vendor events are happening. I completely missed the overclocking event as well as a drawing because I didnt have a good idea of what was going on.
A sub category is to have such an itinerary available before the event starts. I would have liked to have known ahead of time if the event was going to be first come first serve for the BF3 tourney to better prepare myself and my friends. (I still got in, but I imagine there was a good number of people who missed out on that).

2. Less reliance on tickets. I think this point is worth repeating. There were so many tickets to keep up with that it was difficult to keep track of. I thought it was great when they just simply randomly called out names that were on the registration list. That makes things much easier to understand.

3. Public option to volunteer. This isnt really a complaint per se, but I would loved to have had the opportunity to volunteer for this event. I understand an event of the size takes a great amount of stress and effort to pull off, and there's a ton of us in the community who have a ton of collective brain power/Mountain Dew fueled muscle who would love to help out in any way we could. I certainly wouldnt have minded taken a day off or two from work to help set up.

Anyways, that's it. The above is nothing more than friendly critique....the event was wonderful and was one of the best weekends I've had in a very long time. Everyone involved in this event did the community a huge favor, and was very generous, and I am very grateful.

I think a universal ticket system is superior. I think it allows for a more equal chance for each attendee to win something, which is better than 10 people winning hundreds of dollars worth of hardware.

Now i realize the problem arises that each sponsor wants the likes and tweets and what-nots, and that is not out of the question.

Along with the one universal ticket system, each sponsor can hold their separate drawings that require you to like / tweet / comment / share / etc, and put your name into a pool. Instead of the sponsor giving out tickets for these extra events, they can just generate a name pool and draw from there.

So, one ticket per attendee and the majority of the hardware be drawn from that ticket box.
Then, any extra drawings can be ticket-less and solely compromised of name-pools.

Aside from that, the event was amazing and I can guarantee my attendance at events to come!

Welcome to the website Forune, glad you and Lykos had a good time :)

I agree with these points as well, and I would like to offer a bit of critique myself if that is alright. The event was awesome, but there are always a few things one can improve on:

1. Itinerary. It would be nice if there was a website with a schedule of what was going to happen during the day, who would be doing what, and what vendor events are happening. I completely missed the overclocking event as well as a drawing because I didnt have a good idea of what was going on.
A sub category is to have such an itinerary available before the event starts. I would have liked to have known ahead of time if the event was going to be first come first serve for the BF3 tourney to better prepare myself and my friends. (I still got in, but I imagine there was a good number of people who missed out on that).

2. Less reliance on tickets. I think this point is worth repeating. There were so many tickets to keep up with that it was difficult to keep track of. I thought it was great when they just simply randomly called out names that were on the registration list. That makes things much easier to understand.

3. Public option to volunteer. This isnt really a complaint per se, but I would loved to have had the opportunity to volunteer for this event. I understand an event of the size takes a great amount of stress and effort to pull off, and there's a ton of us in the community who have a ton of collective brain power/Mountain Dew fueled muscle who would love to help out in any way we could. I certainly wouldnt have minded taken a day off or two from work to help set up.

Anyways, that's it. The above is nothing more than friendly critique....the event was wonderful and was one of the best weekends I've had in a very long time. Everyone involved in this event did the community a huge favor, and was very generous, and I am very grateful.

They sent out an email late friday night about the tournament being first come first serve, when it became apparent that there were too many people who wanted to participate to email invites to everyone, but a lot of people missed it.

I believe there was a schedule too, although it was just main stage/breakout, so the OC thing wasn't on it.

There's some good feedback here in the last couple dozen posts or so that I'm sure the organizers will incorporate for the next event to make it even better. :cool: It was much bigger than the last one and I joked to Kyle that at this rate, in a few years, they'll have to rent out Cowboys Stadium. :D (It shouldn't be a problem after the regular season ends. :p)

This thread is a gold mine of good feedback.

I can already see the need for a good com system to let the people know what is happening and for some good overlapping...or maybe to move the crowd from one event/booth to another. We would need a good MC to stay on the MIC and keep the schedule going. Nothing would please booth people more than having a large crowd listening to them:)

My winnings:
2x MSI R6950 2GB Twin Frozr III (Crossfire) Won both at the 2012 FX Gamexperience

Corsair Hydro Series H60 (won 2011 Texas Gamexperience)
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) won at 2012 FX Gamexperience.
Antec 1100 case (purchased at 2012 FX gamexperience 70$)

Due to this event, I switched from an Intel i7 920 to an AMD FX 8120 Black Edition 3.1GHz Eight-Core Socket AM3+
And the Motherboard I purchased was the ASrock 990FX Extreme3 motherboard .

I wouldn't have switched to AMD had I not been part of this event. I also wouldn't have went with the Asrock mobo, but how couldn't I when Fatality was so great in getting this poster autographed for my kid.

Thanks AMD, HardOCP, and all of those that support this great event.

IMG_20120202_192805.jpg

IMG_20120202_192503.jpg

IMG_20120202_192730.jpg

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa298/RMP00N/Geekbox/

Last edited:
Back