Jamo D 600 15" is 'dead', What is a good replacement?

Deimos

[H]ard|Gawd
Dune killed my home theater sub. I think the voice coils overheated and now it makes very loud popping sounds at higher volumes. :cry:

It is (was) 400W continuous, 1600W peak and was exrodinary while it lasted. I guess I'm looking at SVS for a replacement, can anyone comment on how these perform?

I have my eye on either the SB-4000 or PB-4000 (the latter being in a much larger, ported box). I'm guessing the ported box allows the sub to go much deeper, whereas the sealed box is punchier? Can anyone comment? I'm looking for a good all-rounder (music/movies) that will compliment my Q Acoustics Concept 500 speakers.

SVS recommends the PB16-Ultra. Where I am this is $2k more expensive and I still have to convice my wife to let me spend this much. :unsure:

I own or have owned SVS subs in ported, sealed and cylinder configs. I prefer the tight, punchy bass of the sealed subs. I have an SB-2000 Pro for my TV and the 3000 Micro for my PC. The subs you listed are considerably more powerful.

SVS has an excellent 45-day trial period with free shipping on returns, so I'd get both and see which sounds better to your ears. I recommend getting a sub with Bluetooth. It's so much easier to adjust settings from your phone instead of reaching for buttons/dials behind the sub.

I just recently acquired 2 of the SVS SB-2000 Pro and couldn't be more pleased with the results... especially considering I was worried about the area being 15'x25' with cathedral ceilings. After running Audyssey XT32 on my Denon AVR-3300W and then upping the subs 2dB after, I was tickled when I ran through some he LFE demo movies out together by people over at AVS Forum. Tight, responsive, and deep. Will be even better once broken in.

The Polar Express is a tradition for the kids and me to watch. The first Train scene was shocking... literally!

SVS has an excellent 45-day trial period with free shipping on returns, so I'd get both and see which sounds better to your ears. I recommend getting a sub with Bluetooth. It's so much easier to adjust settings from your phone instead of reaching for buttons/dials behind the sub.
I can't buy direct from SVS owing to the fact that I'm at the arse end of the world (which means I also pay a steep premium too). I just have to figure out whats best and buy it. Pretty lame.

I'm leaning toward the ported PB16 Ultra. SVS recommends running it at a 60hz cut-off with tthe Concept 500 but I'll probably run it at 80hz cutoff. At this cutoff I don't think punch will be an issue, but in saying that a lot of reviews are saying that it sounds like a sealed sub with the bonus of the ported lows.

The reason I'm leaning toward the ported sub is because I have zero room gain. Ported subs are best in that situation. I think that is why I managed to kill my Jamo. I couldn't hear it and turned it up too high. Our lounge is the size of a small home and my HT setup consumes around a quarter of it with 3 cinema seats and a massage chair. The rest is just empty space which I was going to use for VR (when I get around to setting it up again).

My wife hasn't said no, just to wait. I'll probably wear her down in a week.

Just did a quick and dirty measure. Our lounge is 4.5m x 15m (15ft x 49ft). Some of that space is taken by a small kitchenette and stairs, but not much. Room gain is non-existant.

You have Amazon Prime there "at the arse end of the world"?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082LNQZ1L/

One of the 2 that I bought was "Used -Like New" from an authorized SVS seller/distributor IQ HOME ENTERTAINMENT and it was just a damaged outer box with a new and untouched SB-2000 Pro inside. They sell the other PB models as well.

Instead of 1 large sub, I would go with 2 smaller to even out the sound and that may also get you the room gain you are lacking with just 1 sub.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the SB-1000 Pro(small room) and it goes low enough to have bass you feel but can't hear. Everything I read indicated that the ported ones had more punch due to increased responsiveness while the sealed ones are more rumbley. I wanted to get the ported model but it was too tall for the space I had and I've been very happy with the sealed version.

I'm running a 120Hz cutoff on it that seems best for movies and games though 80Hz is a bit better for some music, I have my full range but not full size speakers set for an 80Hz cutoff to help blend them a bit.

You have Amazon Prime there "at the arse end of the world"?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082LNQZ1L/

One of the 2 that I bought was "Used -Like New" from an authorized SVS seller/distributor IQ HOME ENTERTAINMENT and it was just a damaged outer box with a new and untouched SB-2000 Pro inside. They sell the other PB models as well.

Instead of 1 large sub, I would go with 2 smaller to even out the sound and that may also get you the room gain you are lacking with just 1 sub.
It's sometimes difficult to find sellers that will ship to NZ. Air-freight to NZ for a sub would be exhobitant. I can't even imagine what they would charge for an 80KG PB16-Ultra. I might as well buy a passenger ticket for it, if the cost is that high for shipping it would be better to buy locally for the warranty. I would also still get stung by sales tax so it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I already have 2 subs, the 15" Jamo and a smaller Q Acoustics dual woofer ported sub. They are barely audible in this space unless I put them behind the couches but I don't want to run fat audio cables under my rug.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They don't sell direct to the public. I can buy them locally no problem, I just wanted to know what experiences people had with SVS. So far I've had a few subs die on me for various reasons and didn't want to buy something I'll come to regret later.

I'm going to get a single PB16-Ultra. My wife asked me to wait a bit so I'm expecting to get it in March when we settle on a house we're selling.

I see that the SVS subs have gone up $200 since about October '21 and I'm guessing that price won't go back down any time soon so I'm about ready to cave in and buy. I need a sub for my living room and I think a single PB-2000 Pro would do it. I have a couple Bic Acoustech PL-200 II subs ($300/ea) at my computer for gaming and they're alright, so if I spend $1100 on a subwoofer then it better be F'ing fabulous. Maybe I should also buy a pair of the PB-1000 Pro for the gaming PC and then sell off the Bic subs.

I read that the cost of shipping a 40-foot container of car parts from Taiwan to the US used to be $5k but is now $29k, if that applies to anything else manufactured in Asia then I figure we're gonna eat that for the foreseeable future. If I buy the PB-2000 Pro from Amazon using my Amazon card, I'll at least get $55 cash back.

I see that the SVS subs have gone up $200 since about October '21 and I'm guessing that price won't go back down any time soon so I'm about ready to cave in and buy. I need a sub for my living room and I think a single PB-2000 Pro would do it. I have a couple Bic Acoustech PL-200 II subs ($300/ea) at my computer for gaming and they're alright, so if I spend $1100 on a subwoofer then it better be F'ing fabulous. Maybe I should also buy a pair of the PB-1000 Pro for the gaming PC and then sell off the Bic subs.

I read that the cost of shipping a 40-foot container of car parts from Taiwan to the US used to be $5k but is now $29k, if that applies to anything else manufactured in Asia then I figure we're gonna eat that for the foreseeable future. If I buy the PB-2000 Pro from Amazon using my Amazon card, I'll at least get $55 cash back.
Wow, you're right. I guess inflation is taking its toll on the audio industry, too. I paid $699 for my SB-2000, back in 2015 and $749 for my 3000 Micro last year. I bought the 3000 Micro for my gaming PC and am thrilled with its performance. It's perfect for a computer setup.

How much space do you have, it's easy to over do it.

Look into the Used - Like New on Amazon from Authorized SVS Distributors/Sellers. Usually they are new units but with damaged boxes from shipping. I got one of the SB-2000 Pro like this from IQ Home Entertainment and only the box has a little damage to it. Everything inside was still sealed from the factory. Just a thought.

How much space do you have, it's easy to over do it.
Probably no bigger than 20' x 20'.

Look into the Used - Like New on Amazon from Authorized SVS Distributors/Sellers. Usually they are new units but with damaged boxes from shipping. I got one of the SB-2000 Pro like this from IQ Home Entertainment and only the box has a little damage to it. Everything inside was still sealed from the factory. Just a thought.
I bought the PB-2000 Pro new before I saw this, I see that IQ has like-new for $929, might jump on that if just one is impressive. I'll have it by Saturday.

Dune killed my home theater sub. I think the voice coils overheated and now it makes very loud popping sounds at higher volumes. :cry:

It is (was) 400W continuous, 1600W peak and was exrodinary while it lasted. I guess I'm looking at SVS for a replacement, can anyone comment on how these perform?

I have my eye on either the SB-4000 or PB-4000 (the latter being in a much larger, ported box). I'm guessing the ported box allows the sub to go much deeper, whereas the sealed box is punchier? Can anyone comment? I'm looking for a good all-rounder (music/movies) that will compliment my Q Acoustics Concept 500 speakers.
I own the SB2000 pro and it is deep and clean. Does better on a LFE movie than a YouTube video, different quality source. Sub is ruthlessly revealing on a bad recording. Ported designs tend to be a tad looser(boomy to my ears) and higher SPL.

I own the SB2000 pro and it is deep and clean. Does better on a LFE movie than a YouTube video, different quality source. Sub is ruthlessly revealing on a bad recording. Ported designs tend to be a tad looser(boomy to my ears) and higher SPL.

I think dual SB-2000 Pros would do better than a single PB-4000 or PB-16 Ultra the OP is considering IMO.

I'm running 2x SVS SB3000 firing forward, my standmount speakers sit on top effectively making them 4 way.
They are wonderful, the DSP EQ and other tweaks are the bomb, you cant get the same finesse unles you go mad with room treatments and hyper accurate positioning.
Bass quality is first class :D

My brother has an almost identical setup but with 2x SVS PB16Ultra and I prefer the quality of mine.
He has one of the 3 ports bunged up on each but imo for music (at least) it needs all 3 to be sealed because the bass is nowhere near tight enough.
We both have very high end setups though so you might care a bit less.

A single SB3000 or PB3000 should do you well, they use a 13.9" driver and 800W RMS, 2500W+ peak amp!!
The SB3000 is really small yet performs like a champ.
The larger SVS subs (SB4000 and higher) start to get REAL heavy, you've been warned.
All SVS subs now use the same DSP software controlled from your phone, its simple to use.
The DSP imparts no delay I can detect, they did a great job. (stated in case you think of getting a DSP less sub and want to add an external DSP later, it doesnt work well, I tried)

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb-3000
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-3000

ps the rated freq response specs are in open air.
In a room they will go louder and deeper.
Add 3dB to max SPL per wall they are close to and the -3dB response is approx 3Hz lower than specced depending how you set them up.

pps my subs are sipping power they are that capable.
The inputs are running -9dB and -12dB (bloody awkward room gives a varied response), my DAC feeding them sits around -32dB for most music.
There is no way I can ever saturate them without blowing eardrums! (room size approx 5x6m)

Last edited:
I have temporarily swapped out my Jamo (which is an unported 15" BTW) for my ghetto modded Logitech z5500 sub.

The original z5500 amp kicked the bucket so I ordered a sub amp online that cranks 500WRMS. For those unfamiliar with the z5500 sub, its a ported 10". I still need to run the Yamaha tuning setup for the new sub but somehow it feels a lot louder and lower than the Jamo. Maybe I should be looking at the PB3000? I'm almost certain that a ported sub is going to sound a lot better in this lounge.

I have temporarily swapped out my Jamo (which is an unported 15" BTW) for my ghetto modded Logitech z5500 sub.

The original z5500 amp kicked the bucket so I ordered a sub amp online that cranks 500WRMS. For those unfamiliar with the z5500 sub, its a ported 10". I still need to run the Yamaha tuning setup for the new sub but somehow it feels a lot louder and lower than the Jamo. Maybe I should be looking at the PB3000? I'm almost certain that a ported sub is going to sound a lot better in this lounge.
Size of the sub and ported or not varies how deep it can go.
If your lounge has trouble setting up an even bass soundfield throughout you may need 2 or more well positioned subs.

Something worth mentioning which applies to all subwoofers, they need to be burned in / broken in to get optimal response.
My experience will vary a bit from others because I have a terribly hard room to set up an even deep soundfield in and my subs dont see much loud use.
ie my rooms response is terrible from one side to the other and in other areas around the room.
This nevertheless serves as a guide what will happen.

When I first got my subs they were quite boomy around 30/40/50Hz so I had to EQ that down (with the built in EQ) by up to -8dB, it was a serious boom!
This gradually changed, getting deeper, more so after loud music or a loud film was played, causing them to wear in a bit further.
After approaching a year old I no longer have to reduce 30 to 50Hz at all but find somewhere near 20Hz is a bit too strong instead.
I had exactly the same experience with loudspeakers I built with 10" woofers, very boomy high up at first and after a long time they became great at deep bass.

It can be a long slow process waiting for a sub to break in, you can improve your life if it has an EQ.
How long it takes will depend how much its used and how loud. Bass break in tracks can be left playing to speed it up if nobody is at home in your street lol.
I'm sure mine still have a way to go but they arent played loud very often so you may go through the process faster.

There are also features like Room Gain Compensation which tries to undo some of the large boost you get from wall boundaries, useful if you live in a flat.
I dont like the effect but if I was in shared accommodation or my neighbours were getty shirty I'd be glad to use it rather than have no subs at all.
fyi

Although this is probably too late, another good option to look at would be a Rythmik sub. I run a Rythmik FV15HP and it’s pretty damned amazing.

Don't know if the link will work, but have you looked at just replacing the 15" speaker? I am seeing a new Jamo Pro 1000 15 for $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202644153692?hash=item2f2e88655c:g:IyYAAOxy86RSU1ja
You could be right that it will work as a direct drop in, but using a different speaker may not work out well.
Parameters need to coincide otherwise its natural resonance may not work well in a different cabinet, plus the higher power driver might use more coils, have different resistance, etc...

He could replace with the correct drive unit but since he burned his last one out its probably better he go for a more powerful sub.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Rythmik FV15HP
Doesn't look like I can get these in New Zealand.
Don't know if the link will work, but have you looked at just replacing the 15" speaker? I am seeing a new Jamo Pro 1000 15 for $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202644153692?hash=item2f2e88655c:g:IyYAAOxy86RSU1ja
I haven't looked at this option but the speaker you linked would not be suitable. The speaker in there is a long throw sub. The amp would probably blow the cone right out of the housing of that dinky looking thing.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Doesn't look like I can get these in New Zealand.

I haven't looked at this option but the speaker you linked would not be suitable. The speaker in there is a long throw sub. The amp would probably blow the cone right out of the housing of that dinky looking thing.
Was more pointing out looking for a replacement speaker, not necessarily that specific speaker. I had done this on my Cambridge Soundworks Sub that was blown. I replaced it with a JBL 12" equivalent, or at least as close as I could get, speaker.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a replacement yet. I have some money sitting in a managed fund that I can only use when it makes enough to pay for it. Since the share market took a big hit over the last few months I'm already $7k in the hole FFS.

As I mentioned before, I dragged out my Z5500 sub with the 500WRMS amp in it (apparently the amp has a +6db bump at 20hz), and I gotta say, in this lounge it cranks far better than the 15" ever did. I has to be due to the ported box proving far greater efficiency becuase this sub is smaller in every way. I'm definitely leaning towards a ported sub. I like deep bass and my floor standers are quite cabable of delivering tight punch so I don't think I'll regret getting a ported sub.

Unfortunate, at least you have something to get you by.
Good luck.

Back