James Cameron's Thoughts On Containing Piracy

I doubt Cameron watches movies on an iphone.

Well, we know David Lynch doesn't :p

IMHO Screen size is still irrelevant within reason, as long as the quality is there. If it is too small, just move it closer.

The only time this would be a problem is if you have lots of people watching.

I understand those movie headsets are actually not a bad experience, if you are watching alone...

There are some movies which just felt so much better in the theaters than at home. Mad Max being a recent example.
However, I think I would have been less motion sick if I had watched Hardcore Henry at home.

Movie theaters wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge so much for the snacks. I always feel a little guilty sneaking food in. The dollar store next to the theater is nearly out of candy every time I go. If the prices were reasonable I would actually pay their prices. The cost of going out to the movies is the reason people aren't going.
We are ninjas about sneaking stuff in. The winter months are easiest - line sodas in your coat sleeve, snacks easily fit into pockets.
I'm with you - lower the prices and I would gladly buy them at the cinema. Hell, last time we went I think I bought my kids a large popcorn for $10 (although I did sneak in drinks). $10 for popcorn - wow. I know concessions is how the cinemas make their money, but damn. If they lowered their prices, and cheapskates like me bought more items from them, would they make more money, break even, etc. Guess we won't find out any time soon.

bad horror movies here are sometimes fun to watch with a crowd...their comments often being the only source of entertainment

Pirates gonna pirate.

As for as theatres go, they need to stop gouging people on both tickets and concessions. Maybe avoiding the constant increase in lease rates for the film to theatres would help that. Everything is digital these days, anyway. You don't have to pay for armored vehicle delivery and film copy anymore.

Concessions are so high because theaters literally make almost nothing on ticket sales. A $10 ticket they might get $2.00-2.50 off that with the rest going back to the studio for the movie. This can change depending on the time (IE longer a movie is shown the % can go up in favor of the theater, but a lot fewer people still see the movie in return usually). That's why they have to jack up the prices so much on the concessions.

Many movie theaters these days are a lot more advanced then older ones. Yes there's no more film stock/old school projectors and things but most theaters are a LOT bigger now (even compared to the 80's/90's, my town had two theaters, each had just two screens in it and that was it, now we have just one theater but it has 6 screens and is a lot bigger). On top of that you have all the hardware to run those screens, the upgraded sound systems, and then you have all the technical and other problems that can go wrong with it.

It's the studios that are gouging people, if they allowed theaters to keep say, 40-50% ticket sales at the start they might actually be able to profit on it instead of having to upcharge in concessions so much.

Pics or shens

What's a "shens?" Shenanigan?

Pics... about 8 months old and now have a Hopper 3 instead of the old ViP 722.

Mostly Definitive Technology speakers. BP7000SC, CLR 3000, SM55, UIW BPZ/A, UIW 75. JBL L7. EoSone RSR350.
Denon AVR X7200WA. Roku 4. Emotiva XPR5 ( 400w x 5 ), Emotiva XPA-7 ( 200w x 7 )
Sony XBR75X850C mounted with Peerless wall mount. TV Can be pulled out 24" from wall.
Stand is custom I built from 80/20 extruded aluminum.

My original plan was to put all this in a dedicated theater room, but I'm thinking about moving closer to work.

If I could stream a new movie on opening day, man, sign me up. I hate going to theaters, especially on opening nights with all the rude talkers and noise & crying kids. Plus, I work all day & into the night. Make it available on my schedule & I would see twice as many movies.

Concessions are so high because theaters literally make almost nothing on ticket sales. A $10 ticket they might get $2.00-2.50 off that with the rest going back to the studio for the movie. This can change depending on the time (IE longer a movie is shown the % can go up in favor of the theater, but a lot fewer people still see the movie in return usually). That's why they have to jack up the prices so much on the concessions.

Many movie theaters these days are a lot more advanced then older ones. Yes there's no more film stock/old school projectors and things but most theaters are a LOT bigger now (even compared to the 80's/90's, my town had two theaters, each had just two screens in it and that was it, now we have just one theater but it has 6 screens and is a lot bigger). On top of that you have all the hardware to run those screens, the upgraded sound systems, and then you have all the technical and other problems that can go wrong with it.

It's the studios that are gouging people, if they allowed theaters to keep say, 40-50% ticket sales at the start they might actually be able to profit on it instead of having to upcharge in concessions so much.

Most theaters actually LOSE money on the screening during the first three weeks of a movie release. Studio percentage take is usually (net % /gross % ) 95/70 weeks 1 & 2, 90/60 for week 3, and 85/50 for week 4, which is when the theater actually starts seeing a profit from the screening. Contracts are negotiated on a per-movie basis and more popular releases usually have less favorable terms for the first 4 weeks. Of course, the studios take whatever is higher for the week... net or gross earnings.

Another reason I don't go to a cinema. They pay some kid $7.50 an hour to push that button on the Christie PJ.

Pics... about 8 months old and now have a Hopper 3 instead of the old ViP 722.

Mostly Definitive Technology speakers. BP7000SC, CLR 3000, SM55, UIW BPZ/A, UIW 75. JBL L7. EoSone RSR350.
Denon AVR X7200WA. Roku 4. Emotiva XPR5 ( 400w x 5 ), Emotiva XPA-7 ( 200w x 7 )
Sony XBR75X850C mounted with Peerless wall mount. TV Can be pulled out 24" from wall.
Stand is custom I built from 80/20 extruded aluminum.

My original plan was to put all this in a dedicated theater room, but I'm thinking about moving closer to work.

Yup, you got it right!

Looks great! I'm quite jelly. Wife would kill me if I spent that much. She doesn't like loud noises or music so...:(

My biggest thing with theaters boils down to convenience. Ease of use and lack of features. My HT isn't the greatest but the 100 inch screen and 1080p projector along with my Yamaha YSP-1000 and 10 inch sub give me more than an ample movie experience. Add to that stuff like doing whatever I want when I want while watching a movie and the expensive public theater just becomes unattractive.

Yeah, I agree with others here. The theater needs to stop being the main money maker. Needs to stop being the first line of profit.

I don't know, it's a whole mess of problems.

All that with such a small TV. Why don't you have projection? I'm looking at a 100 inch framed screen with a amazing 1080p Projector that cost me $600 for everything. I'm sure your TV has nicer features and all that but size is king when it comes to movies and my setup still looks amazing despite features/price.

My biggest thing with theaters boils down to convenience. Ease of use and lack of features. My HT isn't the greatest but the 100 inch screen and 1080p projector along with my Yamaha YSP-1000 and 10 inch sub give me more than an ample movie experience. Add to that stuff like doing whatever I want when I want while watching a movie and the expensive public theater just becomes unattractive.

Yeah, I agree with others here. The theater needs to stop being the main money maker. Needs to stop being the first line of profit.

I don't know, it's a whole mess of problems.

All that with such a small TV. Why don't you have projection? I'm looking at a 100 inch framed screen with a amazing 1080p Projector that cost me $600 for everything. I'm sure your TV has nicer features and all that but size is king when it comes to movies and my setup still looks amazing despite features/price.

A PJ with a 130" screen was the plan when I was going to build a 20' x 25' expansion to my home. I've taken a new job and the commute is a long one, so I'm thinking of selling and moving closer to work now. As you can see from the front picture, 75" to 80" is about as big as I can go and still get it between the DefTech towers. 75" to 80" is perfect for my 9' viewing distance anyway but with 4K a bigger screen is needed for optimal viewing distance. I did consider a drop-down AT screen, but I'd still be limited to size because of a short throwing distance. The screen would have to be 4' from front wall because the DetTechs are bi-pole and need 2' of clearance from back wall - minimum. That only gives me an 11' throw distance. I could probably get somewhere around 100" with the Sony VW665ES 4K.

A PJ with a 130" screen was the plan when I was going to build a 20' x 25' expansion to my home. I've taken a new job and the commute is a long one, so I'm thinking of selling and moving closer to work now. As you can see from the front picture, 75" to 80" is about as big as I can go and still get it between the DefTech towers. 75" to 80" is perfect for my 9' viewing distance anyway but with 4K a bigger screen is needed for optimal viewing distance. I did consider a drop-down AT screen, but I'd still be limited to size because of a short throwing distance. The screen would have to be 4' from front wall because the DetTechs are bi-pole and need 2' of clearance from back wall - minimum. That only gives me an 11' throw distance. I could probably get somewhere around 100" with the Sony VW665ES 4K.

Well I'd say move first before doing anything, obviously. I would recommend projection for you though in the end. It just can't be matched on so many levels. Size, cinema "feel", picture quality a lot of the time (especially contrast what with dynamic iris), etc.

So yeah, if you had planned on projection I certainly would say to not change your mind on that one!

I've spent A LOT of money just so that I don't have to go to a movie theater. People these days are just plain-old rude when attending public events. At home, I can pick up my remote, press a single button, and either stream through Roku 4, access my media server stocked with over 600 movies, or watch live TV. I sit 9' away from a 75" 4K TV which gives me an almost perfect THX experience and enjoy movies in either Dolby Atmos ( DSU ) or DTS:X ( Neural X ) coming from 11 speakers powered by two amps that can output 3400 watts, not including the 3600 watts worth of THUMP!!

Only thing that would make it better is a Trinnov Altitude 32 processor but those are a cool $37,000. I'd also like to be able to have access to the same DCP the theaters get.

That's nice.

I don't even bother with fancy sound, as most of the films I enjoy watch aren't the effects driven action type, and at film time, someone is usually sleeping in the house anyway, so I can't blast it.

I used to just use the built in TV speakers on my 65" Panny plasma, and even then I was happier watching at home than at the theater. Now I have some sort of Samsung sound bar thing with a bluetooth sub that I got free in a promotion. It's not great, but it's a little bit better I guess.

Back