James Cameron Is Still Very Bullish on 3D

I won't go see a 3D movie period. They always look like shit. Blurry and dark with little to no actual cool 3D effects.

Depends 100% on the movie, in my experience. Avatar and Gravity were mind-blowing in 3D. Other movies that just have 3D shoehorned in...not so much.

Depends on the theater as well. Honestly if you can't see it in IMAX 3D it's probably not worth it. At least with IMAX 3D you can be certain the system has been maintained to a certain standard not to mention the 3D effect works a lot better on the massive screen.

Saw Avatar in 3D and was amazed...not by the movie as it was boring, but the 3D was awesome
Then I saw a few more movies in 3D and they were all massively shit

So now i refuse to watch any in 3D

That's the only 3D I've seen in years (won free tickets to an early screening).
While some of the 3D look amazing when there was little motion, much of the movie was a blurry mess to me.
I won't bother seeing another 3D movie, even if I get free tickets.

I saw it in IMAX on a discount day (regular ticket prices are $21.99 for an adult which is totally insane. The image quality was a little blurry at times but that's pretty much par for the course with anything 3D.

Motion looks shitty at ~12fps per eye, you say? Shocking.

I'm glad Cameron is pushing for high frame rate, and sad that so far it's only been Steve Jackson who's pushed that envelope before with any success (and people bitched about it?).

Why would I pay $20 to watch something in shit 3D when I can view it later at 60fps per eye on my home television? Oh, wait, TV makers are ditching 3D because no one wants it because 'it looks shit at the movies'. FML.

Keep fighting, James.

As my name suggests, I am lost in 3d. I grew up largely unimpressed with it until a couple of exceptions, a Chuck Norris movie, Friday the 13th, Jaws 3d(movie sucked but the 3d was cool). After that I stopped caring for about 10-20 years. When I saw Avengers in 3d at a midnight premier I was blown away. The next day I went out and bought a 3d projector. In that time I've expanded to a couple of 3d TV's(one 4k/one 1080p), 1080p/120hz monitor, 1440p/144hz/Gsync/3d monitor/and a 3d laptop that's mostly kept for nostalgia. Obviously off the deep end. With any 3d content I think it depends on the commitment of the developers. The viewing tech also has a lot to do with quality. Computer monitors truly rock it compared to anything else IMO. Like anything else, when shoehorned in, it sucks. When properly applied it can be awesome. I haven't jumped into VR simply because I don't want to be strapping things to my head for entertainment. Glasses free tech has been around for a while now. I was reading about glasses free T.V.s in China about 5-6 years ago. I truly believe they could at least develop display tech with depth right now for affordable costs and still re-use the current 3d encoding schemas. As much as I like 4k, I really wish the industry would just slow down and refine whats already available instead of trying to cram new features every other month.

When done right, 3D works very well. Having said that, I still see the need for improvement at the theaters. There has only been a few 3D experiences that I feel surpassed what I can get on my home TV, Samsung F8500 3D Plasma. Much of the time at the theater, the passive glasses are not high quality enough (ghosting), or the screen night bright enough, to deliver an experience that doesn't disctract. I don't have those issues on my home TV with active 3D glasses. The only advantage the theater still has is the larger screen that can better immerse you.

What I look for in a 3D movie is depth, the ability to look "into" the stage. I don't necessarily need stuff popping out at me, that is where the experience can get lost since you will always get cut-off due to the borders of the screen. This is where I feel Avatar and Gravity both succeeded when it comes to 3D. They created great stages to look into that added depth yet didn't distract from the story. It didn't feel gimmicky.

Many CGI films do a pretty good job at 3D too. Pixar handles it pretty well. Finding Dory was a treat to watch in 3D, it was like looking into a fancy, ever-changing aquarium. Post 3D editing has been getting better too. I remember some of the earlier films to do this were just horrible in 3D, the newer Alice in Wonderland was just a horrible 3D experience. Yet some of the latest Marvel films do a pretty good job at implementing 3D via post editing . It certainly helps when more and more of the scene is green screen and added in post. Still, using actual 3D filming equipment is the way to go for a superior 3D experience.

Needing glasses to experience this, though, can be problematic for some. Finding a way to deliver high quality 3D without the need of glasses is what I think will turn the industry on its ear in accepting 3D as worthwhile medium.

3d has always made me ill. I haven't experienced any VR that hasn't made me ill. I am hoping that the hardware of VR improves even more and maybe it gets there. I have 0 hope for "theater" 3D not making me ill. I'll wait a few more years for VR hardware to be perfected and the software FOV to be fixed and maybe I won't be ill and can use it. It is also why I can't play overwatch. Their incorrect FOV makes me sick in minutes and it is uncorrectable. Witcher 3 did as well, but I used a FOV hack and then they added it to the game. YAY! Then I wasn't ill and could play. I swear they need to find us motion sick people and test this on us before release so they can make the FOV corrections before the games / movies release.

Some movies are amazing in 3D. But it sure as hell should not be added to every movie.

I ohh so loved having to drive 15+ min to find a theater that had a movie I wanted to see NOT in 3D because I kind of don't like puking. Yeah, I have VERY bad motion sickness issues.
Wait... are you seriously making a complaint about driving 15 minutes? Yeah motion sickness is the least of your issues.

Some movies are amazing in 3D. But it sure as hell should not be added to every movie.
I agree. I see no interest in watching Citizen Kane, The Graduate, nor Rain Man in 3D.

2001: A Space Odyssey and Ghostbusters, on the other hand, I think would be a good choices for 3D.

*Yes, I do realize I am listing older movies that are not in 3D. And no, I am not implying we should remaster these older films to be 3D. I just wanted to use them as examples of they types of movies where I think 3D works and where it doesn't.

god damn the CGI in avatar looked fake as fuck day one for me... I really wish I could've enjoyed it, as the movie itself sucked big time... 3d setup at the theater I went to maybe wasn't ideal, it was simply a distraction... huge fail all around for this movie and director

Me and my wife really enjoyed Avatar in IMAX 3D. It won't be going anywhere just like pre-orders for games unless people stop paying to go see it in 3D but guess what? Just like pre-ordering a game it still happens and the theaters still fill up and sell out for them.

BTW that very first scene in Avatar up in space where you are looking into the near infinite depth of that massive space station / ship thing is and was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on a movie screen. I still couldn't believe the depth in that scene and seeing it on the giant IMAX screen made it seem so real.

3D never had a chance. A director needed to take it seriously and direct/incorporate around the effect but most just shoehorned it in as a marketing ploy or mad few scenes just to show it off offering no depth to the movie (superman).

I loved 3D when done well, I didn't even mind the glasses but most instances ruined it.

Basically, don't talk to me until we've reached "Holodeck" levels

I have nothing but praise for Cameron. I hold him in the rare Kubric level of all time greats.

3d Movies just don't have the appeal that they used to. I prefer to see most movies in 2d vs. 3d in the theatre. However, at home i LOVE to watch a really crisp new movie on my 3d plasma. They just look so unbelievably good that it's a real treat since so few good 3d movies are released these days.

If you are looking for an AMAZING 3d film to watch, I would recommend Alice through the looking glass. The story isn't that great but visually it's a tour de force.

Err, Terminator 2? The Abyss? True Lies? Strange Days? He made plenty of good movies since then.

I think perhaps the flair of the message was that Cameron has't made a HARD movie since Aliens. All his stuff since then has been middle-of-the-road,offend-nobody type films.
He specializes is safe, easily-digestible epic blockbusters. Michael Bay makes James Cameron movies by erasing most of the dialogue in the script and replacing that time-lost
with slow-motion explosions.

Back