James Cameron Hopes for “Avengers” Fatigue

But so are rehashes and endless sequels. There are tons of SciFi Books that have never been tapped for their great stories and characters. Ringworld, A Mote in Gods Eye, Rendezvous with Rama...and a bazillion more. Also after Game of Thrones I could see the possibility of doing some mini series like Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern books.

+1
Like your list, as those where all good books.
However, I have little faith in Hollywood producing a good movie from any of them.

But so are rehashes and endless sequels. There are tons of SciFi Books that have never been tapped for their great stories and characters. Ringworld, A Mote in Gods Eye, Rendezvous with Rama...and a bazillion more. Also after Game of Thrones I could see the possibility of doing some mini series like Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern books.

yep. and i was stoked when i heard they were doing the shannara chronicles.. but on MTV ?!?!?!?!?

still i watched the 1st season, and now part of the 2nd

I really would like to see more such.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Is there a mega-like button on this forum? What I wouldn't give for a true to story film adaptation of some serious SF. Alas we will never see such things because the general public is too easily bored unless thing are being smashed every 5 minutes or there are major battles throughout the entire movie. Maybe (since the lead character is a strong female) we might get Honor Harrington? But since the space battles are realistic and not "my missiles cross interstellar distances like we're two jet fighters dogfighting less than 5 kilometers apart" or "my energy weapons instantly hit your ship 10 light minutes away", I guess not.
I almost mentioned Honor Harrington, I think you're right it might have a chance (it's also a bit more recent than some of the ones I mentioned). But they would have to honor a pledge of no sound effects in space (which Firefly showed works very well) :).

+1
Like your list, as those where all good books.
However, I have little faith in Hollywood producing a good movie from any of them.
You know I often think about the Dune movie. It had such potential, but then they rushed it, skipped over important points (which might be all right for those who had read the books, but must have left "outsiders" confused) and than pulled in elements from later books in the series. I haven't watched Ender's Game yet (waiting until I get a 4k BD player), but from what I've read most people thought that it was about 20 minutes short and rushed over some important stuff...maybe instead of catering to the short attention span crowd they need to just make them a bit longer and maybe stick an intermission in the middle...I watched 2001 first when I was ~9 it kept me riveted--not always true of course, the first Star Trek movie could have used some editing (about 15 minutes should have been left on the cutting room floor, but they were overly enamored with their special effects).

This is for the adults from the comic book generation, who were fooled into believing that by changing the name from 'comic book' to 'graphic novel' it automatically changed what they were reading from comic book to literature.

THEY'RE COMIC BOOKS. That's all they are. And that's the extent of what most of this generation of adults reads. So that's what they make movies out of to sell these customers; nothing complicated. And it works. Superhero movies galore. Vampire movies. Zombie movies. That encompasses most of our theatrical blockbusters that come out.

Then we have groups of these younger adults getting together to seriously discuss how to deal with a zombie apocalypse as if it's something real.

Comic book theater. That's all it is.

how to deal with a zombie apocalypse as if it's something real
I'm an older person and I firmly choose to believe it's coming. But hey I'm an atheist so I have to have some belief right? It's only human.

I haven't watched Ender's Game yet (waiting until I get a 4k BD player), but from what I've read most people thought that it was about 20 minutes short and rushed over some important stuff...

That's sort of an understatement. It honestly wasn't terrible, but as a huge fan of the book series (have read all of them, plus the Ender's Shadow series) it was pretty disappointing.

I've had comic book movie fatigue for at least 3 years.

I've had blockbuster movie fatigue since the early 2000's. Marvel and Disney have done the best job keeping Blockbusters interesting that I've seen in a long time, but ultimately they are still just blockbusters.

TV serials and IFF movies are much more engaging.

Meh.. I am glad the genre has moved past the never ending 'rebooted origin story'.

On the plus side they are slowly expanding out to fringe elements.. like the 'The New Mutants' is marvel super hero meets horror.. so, go that!

You know I often think about the Dune movie. It had such potential, but then they rushed it, skipped over important points (which might be all right for those who had read the books, but must have left "outsiders" confused) and than pulled in elements from later books in the series. I haven't watched Ender's Game yet (waiting until I get a 4k BD player), but from what I've read most people thought that it was about 20 minutes short and rushed over some important stuff...maybe instead of catering to the short attention span crowd they need to just make them a bit longer and maybe stick an intermission in the middle...I watched 2001 first when I was ~9 it kept me riveted--not always true of course, the first Star Trek movie could have used some editing (about 15 minutes should have been left on the cutting room floor, but they were overly enamored with their special effects).
The Dune TV miniseries was way better, the sequel miniseries... not so much.

That's sort of an understatement. It honestly wasn't terrible, but as a huge fan of the book series (have read all of them, plus the Ender's Shadow series) it was pretty disappointing.

100% agree, wasn't terrible, but man was I so disappointed in the movie :arghh:. Felt to me like they crammed the last 150+ pages of the book into 20 minutes at the end for time concerns, then showed off the Dr. Device explosion "scene" for much longer then they needed for some more special effects cred.

Maybe for someone who'd never read the actual books, the movie would suffice, but having binge-read that series multiple times, I was so let down on all important stuff they skipped over. Actually, I can say that for almost every book-turned-movie I've seen.

Last edited:
This is for the adults from the comic book generation, who were fooled into believing that by changing the name from 'comic book' to 'graphic novel' it automatically changed what they were reading from comic book to literature.

THEY'RE COMIC BOOKS. That's all they are. And that's the extent of what most of this generation of adults reads. So that's what they make movies out of to sell these customers; nothing complicated. And it works. Superhero movies galore. Vampire movies. Zombie movies. That encompasses most of our theatrical blockbusters that come out.

Then we have groups of these younger adults getting together to seriously discuss how to deal with a zombie apocalypse as if it's something real.

Comic book theater. That's all it is.

You know. You might actually look intelligent if you had a damn clue what you were talking about. Comic books and graphic novels ARE different. No one changed the name from one to the other. Comic books are still called comic books and graphic novels have always been the name for that form of comic. The name separation is needed to distinguish one from the other. Much like how many things in the world have different names to distinguish the differences in them even if they're similar in other ways.

PS: You are also insanely wrong about what most adults read. One look at comic and graphic novel sales would tell you how little of a clue you have about anything.

I love the comic book movies. Even on their own, they are really well done. Put them in the context of the whole, and they get better. They are great. I have never been disappointed. Of course, I grew up with these comics and these story lines.

Avatar was cool. Nothing major. Terminator 1 & 2 were damn amazing, though.

I almost mentioned Honor Harrington, I think you're right it might have a chance (it's also a bit more recent than some of the ones I mentioned). But they would have to honor a pledge of no sound effects in space (which Firefly showed works very well) :).

Oh yeah, I left that one out - NO SOUND. INSIDE the ship - by all means. POV, space - NO DAMN EXPLOSION NOISES! Or weird buzzing engine noises that sound more like the Jetsons. (or was that ST:TOS phasers?)

Of course, there are plenty of fine SF that does not need a space setting - Pern being a good example. You don't really need a space view perspective of a threadfall. That would have to be an HBO sort of series though - and either a lot more than 10 episodes a season, or else film them faster even if they only show 8 or 10, so at least they can complete story arcs without the characters changing too fast.

I hardly doubt anyone can do any good with that lot.

Movie wise, probably not. But I think the F4 could do really well as a series. It could be good candidate for Disney's upcoming streaming service. Doom, though, Doom would make a good foil for any number of heroes. Doom's love of theatrics could work well in the MCU.

Most will disagree but I still prefer the X-Men and Spider-Man movies over Avengers. Probably cause I grew up reading the classic Claremont story lines from Uncanny X-Men. The Avengers comics sucked during that time.

There are amazing movies out there if you want something different. I don't even see many movies.

Off the top of my head over the last yearish:

Get Out
You Where Never Really Here
The Girl with all the Gifts
Small Town Crime
Got any other good ones? Just checked the trailers on these and wow! Already knew about Get Out but the others I didn't, but pretty cool looking.

Movie wise, probably not. But I think the F4 could do really well as a series. It could be good candidate for Disney's upcoming streaming service. Doom, though, Doom would make a good foil for any number of heroes. Doom's love of theatrics could work well in the MCU.

The problem is... if Marvel goes like they have been so far, Doom will be awesome, epic, a serious threat and then... they'll kill him of at the end of the first movie and waste the chance to build a whole series around him. :p

Marvel has not done well with its villains at all and its their only real weak spot, I think.

Most will disagree but I still prefer the X-Men and Spider-Man movies over Avengers. Probably cause I grew up reading the classic Claremont story lines from Uncanny X-Men. The Avengers comics sucked during that time.

I like the X-men movies (for generally the same reason) but the quality is so across the board with them that I just can't call them better than the MCU movies. X1, X2. First Class, Days, and Logan (especially Logan) were all great. X3 and Origins were utter trash. Wolverine's theatrical cut was a mess but Unrated was decent. Sane with Spidy. Rami's first two and Homecoming are outstanding films. 3 is a mess due to Sony fucking around with things and both Amazing films range from okay to horrible depending on the moment, especially Amazing 2.

The problem is... if Marvel goes like they have been so far, Doom will be awesome, epic, a serious threat and then... they'll kill him of at the end of the first movie and waste the chance to build a whole series around him. :p

Marvel has not done well with its villains at all and its their only real weak spot, I think.

Villains are a big problem with a lot of superhero movies. Even Nolan's Batman movies only ever had one great villain. I think Killmonger in Black Panther is my favorite MCU movie villain, because the movie made him both evil but also, in some ways, right and he had a pretty good reason for being a dick. Series wise, Marvel has introduced some excellent villains. D'Onofrio's Kingpin and Tennant's Purple Man were outstanding villains.

Villains are a big problem with a lot of superhero movies. Even Nolan's Batman movies only ever had one great villain. I think Killmonger in Black Panther is my favorite MCU movie villain, because the movie made him both evil but also, in some ways, right and he had a pretty good reason for being a dick. Series wise, Marvel has introduced some excellent villains. D'Onofrio's Kingpin and Tennant's Purple Man were outstanding villains.

Loki was a great villain...even though now he's more of an anti-hero...when the Marvel Netflix TV shows have better villains then the movies you know something is terribly wrong...I'm sure Thanos will end being great but it just took so interminably long to get to him

Loki was a great villain...even though now he's more of an anti-hero...when the Marvel Netflix TV shows have better villains then the movies you know something is terribly wrong...I'm sure Thanos will end being great but it just took so interminably long to get to him

Loki was great almost solely due to Tom Hiddleston, at least at first. He developed into a much better villain in Avengers, but if he had been a one-off villain I wonder if he would be as praised as he is now.

A good villain is hard to write, especially when the story doesn't revolve around them. Some of the best villains in cinema tend to act as main characters in their own right. Hans in Die Hard is as much of a protagonist as John McClaine.

This is almost always a format issue. A movie has a very limited amount of time to do a, b and c and there are going to be tradeoffs because of it. A series, even a short series such as most Netflix shows, has a much larger amount of time to develop a, b and c. This means the villain gets a lot more screen time even if the proportion of screen time is equal with a movie.

If a movie is three hours and 33% of the time is devoted to the villain, the villain has an hour of screen time to be developed and used. In a Netflix series of ten hours, a 33% villain screen time would be more than three hours. That's a huge difference even with the percentage of time being the same. That's also assuming a single season. If you take something like Daredevil as an example, Kingpin gets quite a bit of screentime and is well developed in the first season. However, he shows up again in the second season even though his screen time is much shorter since he's not the villain focus of that season and he's still around for more for another season. You simply don't have this with movies.

You also have to take into account that villains are essentially a vehicle for showing off what the heroes can and will do. The vast majority of people watch a movie for the hero/protagonist, not the villain.

I feel the same way. Hope we get some new original sci-fi movies soon. Most of Marvel movies are unnecessary infightings. Heroes fighting amongst themselves. Just like politics. Republicans vs Democrats. There can only be one side and the other must be crushed.

Comic books are still called comic books and graphic novels have always been the name for that form of comic.
Right. They're simply different types of comic books. But they're comic books. That's what I said, and now you've said it, too. There have always been different types of comic books. I know, I read them when I was a pre-teen, and left them behind for real books.

PS: You are also insanely wrong about what most adults read.
I know. Most adults don't read anything at all. Try asking around and see how many people can name the last book they read. It's frightening, how much of the population doesn't read. But it sure does explain a whole lot.

Right. They're simply different types of comic books. But they're comic books. That's what I said, and now you've said it, too. There have always been different types of comic books. I know, I read them when I was a pre-teen, and left them behind for real books.

I know. Most adults don't read anything at all. Try asking around and see how many people can name the last book they read. It's frightening, how much of the population doesn't read. But it sure does explain a whole lot.

And no one says graphic novels aren't comics, so your entire spiel was stupid and pointless. "Real" books. I've been reading "real" books at a college level since I was in middle school and I still read comics and graphics novels. Much less so than I used to, but at lot of that just has to do with the "quality" of the writing from the big two.

I can agree with adult not reading being a problem and probably a cause of a lot of things. Though, I can't exactly blame a lot of people. The school system is a shit show when it come and encouraging kids to read and parents don't bother reading to their kids anymore so they don't learn to love books growing up.

When did Avatar come out? Do people still care about the Avatar franchise? It was so dang long ago.

2009. I don't know if people ever cared about it beyond it being a visual masterpiece. Its still one of the best looking movies ever released with some of the best 3D. But I don't expect a sequel to do anywhere near as well. Not because of comic book movies, but because you can only sell a movie like Avatar once. After a decade people's feelings won't be as strong and the sequels won't have the novelty of the first movies, especially with theater 3D dying rapidly.

2009. I don't know if people ever cared about it beyond it being a visual masterpiece. Its still one of the best looking movies ever released with some of the best 3D. But I don't expect a sequel to do anywhere near as well. Not because of comic book movies, but because you can only sell a movie like Avatar once. After a decade people's feelings won't be as strong and the sequels won't have the novelty of the first movies, especially with theater 3D dying rapidly.

Yea, it was a rather shit story.

Oh yeah, I left that one out - NO SOUND. INSIDE the ship - by all means. POV, space - NO DAMN EXPLOSION NOISES! Or weird buzzing engine noises that sound more like the Jetsons. (or was that ST:TOS phasers?)

Of course, there are plenty of fine SF that does not need a space setting - Pern being a good example. You don't really need a space view perspective of a threadfall. That would have to be an HBO sort of series though - and either a lot more than 10 episodes a season, or else film them faster even if they only show 8 or 10, so at least they can complete story arcs without the characters changing too fast.

They did make it into space in one of the later books, but they were inside a space ship (yeah! dragons in space!). But definitely an HBO thing, even just the first three books could easily take three or four seasons. There's also some nice spin offs like her early history books where we see the origin of the dragons (and the name Pern). I've never had a desire to see Avatar, the plot line makes me tired, it's so cliché and special effects only go so far. When I think of all the great ignored SciFi out there...well wish I had the money to be a producer.

And for those who have never read them...well plenty of room for nudity (they didn't have bathing suits ;)...and some pretty intense sex...and dragons...and (especially in the later books) actual sci-fi (McCaffrey spent a lot of time later on figuring out the science of Pern)--something for everyone.

Yea, it was a rather shit story.

It actually is a great story, it just wasn't his and has been done dozens of times so far. All he did was change the setting for the story. While I enjoyed the movie I do agree with those that say it is a single hit, doesn't need any more.

But while i see both sides (I enjoy the MCU and I can see why one person wanting his movie to sell would want people to not care about another) I think this is cameron just making sure people are still talking about him.

Almost feels like Coke saying they wish people would get over this Pepsi thing so they can release a new flavor.

Back