Jack Thompson Threatens Microsoft

I think Bill Gates owes it to us to destroy this fucker in court for making us pay high prices for his products!:D

Get him Bill! Get him!

even if jack Thompson's lawyers win the case (assuming jack can find a lawyer that doesn't think hes a complete retard). what is stopping the guy who stands at the counter giving a 15 year old, a game? not 1 iota of thought passes through that clerks head when he sells games to minors, and there is no way to enforce it.

its point less.

'nuff said.

Halo 3 is 'HYPERVIOLENT'?

LOL.

I sincerely doubt that. Gimme a friggin BREAK. I was playing Duke Nukem 3D when I was 11, paying strippers in the game to take their tops off and gibbing aliens into a million pieces. The idea that absolutely no human being can handle any violence until they are 17 is absurd. If I had to go ask my dad to buy the game, fine... but I didn't at the time.

Y'all know The Covenant is behind this. Right?

Best thing that could happen here would be if MS did hand this guy his ass in court. If Mr. Idiot (Thompson) is going to make a high profile case out of this, then when (not if) MS wins in a summary judgement this case can be used over and over in the future to keep regulation off of games. Ten years from now when some other idiot lawmaker tries to regulate video games he can be embarassed into shutting up. After all, who would want to be lumped into the same category as Jack Thompson and look like a lunatic?

I for one am glad Jack is looking out to protect me.

Yes.

Now, if I can just get someone to protect me from Jack I'd be even better off.

This guy won't even dent the asphault of the Microsoft parking garage.

Yawn like we need more laws and regulation besides its stores sell the game not microsoft mind you seems anyone will sue for a buck these days wether its rational or not. Not like MR. Gates hasn't been sued before or threatened. Mind you Microsoft been on both sides of the law.

even if jack Thompson's lawyers win the case (assuming jack can find a lawyer that doesn't think hes a complete retard). what is stopping the guy who stands at the counter giving a 15 year old, a game? not 1 iota of thought passes through that clerks head when he sells games to minors, and there is no way to enforce it.

its point less.

'nuff said.
The only way they can enforce it is to use the same tactics they use to enforce alcohol and tobacco sales to minors.
It will be a sad day when cops have to waste tax money giving $500 fines to the clerks in the store.

Anyone else remember that Bill Gates isn't (technically) in charge of of Microsoft? I think Steve Ballmer is a much scarier person to mess with...that man is CRAZY! Thompson is not going to get out of this battle alive. :D

I was under the impression that the most violent and adult part about Halo 3 was the assholes
spouting curse words, racism and incoherent babel over the voice channels.

Seriously. Is there any blood in Halo 3? I think there might be, if you get hit by the spartan laser.:confused:

Is Halo 3 even that violent? This smells like anothother publicity stunt. Rockstar probably let the air out of his tires, and EBGames response was "Weren't you in here last week buying PaintyRaider?"

Anyone else remember that Bill Gates isn't (technically) in charge of of Microsoft? I think Steve Ballmer is a much scarier person to mess with...that man is CRAZY! Thompson is not going to get out of this battle alive. :D

ballmerapphotobf4.jpg

Ill show you Violent!

its point less.

'nuff said.
Jack Thompson is THE lawyer. His point in doing this is to attract more people for him to represent in cases where they claim the video game is at fault. He of course makes tons of money, this is about him making money. Nothing more or less.

Wow... And I thought all the fuss about GTA was over rated.... But this takes the cake!

i cant wait until all Court houses in America have a sign saying "do not serve this person"
he was tossed out of court once for crap like this.

wow this thompson douche bag is milking that 15 minutes of fame thing to the max.

I nominate Jack Thompson for the biggest douche in the universe award.

I hope Bill ends up having to knock this asshole down a peg.

I hope Bill buys him a prostitute, male or female, it doesn't matter, as long as Jack finally loses his virginity and loosens the fuck up. Hell, even a fleshlight might be all it would take to do the trick...

I hope Bill buys him a prostitute, male or female, it doesn't matter, as long as Jack finally loses his virginity and loosens the fuck up. Hell, even a fleshlight might be all it would take to do the trick...

Yep.

I think bill should bail out an entire prison on condition that they give Jack some "drop the soap" treatment and move him around like currency.

Gates to Thompson:

"How about I write a check and own Florida?"

Nah thats overkill.

He just needs to buy the house on both sides of Jack Thompson's house and put up something so obnoxious that Jack would want to move.

The only problem, Bill would buy the houses surrounding him there too. Could you imagine a house shaped like a Halo 3 warthog with marble statues of characters from the game scattered through the front yard!! :) LOL

GIve away free Halo stuff to the neighborhood kids on a daily basis. Halo shirts, toy guns, etc!! :p

Nah thats overkill.

He just needs to buy the house on both sides of Jack Thompson's house and put up something so obnoxious that Jack would want to move.

The only problem, Bill would buy the houses surrounding him there too. Could you imagine a house shaped like a Halo 3 warthog with marble statues of characters from the game scattered through the front yard!! :) LOL

GIve away free Halo stuff to the neighborhood kids on a daily basis. Halo shirts, toy guns, etc!! :p

Gangster Strip Club on either side with huge statues of characters in violent games

seriously, what needs to been is what was said earlier, tie him up in court.
I mean one in EVERY state, there are enough subsidiaries of M$ to do this, have every one of bungees current and FORMER employees file defamation suites against this man.
Hell, call up R*Star and everyone else he has done this crap to and do the same thing, make sure THIS is the only thing he can deal with for the next couple of years, have him running around the country responding to suits against him.

Jack Thompson --> Thompson Submachine Gun --> Tommy Gun.

Maybe he's even related to General John T. Thompson! How ironic.

Way back, I believe, when MS was going to buy out Bungie to get Halo, the guys over at Penny Arcade made a comment about the deal. That comment has stuck with me ever since, and I think it's one that Jack should have taken time to think about when he opened this particular can of worms.

Penny Arcade (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/06/19) said:
"Those motherfuckers can write a check so big it sounds like a brick when it hits the table"

Jack may have some cash to throw around, but even if he does, MS has more than enough money to tie any sort of legal battle up in the courts for years.

Jack would be in his death bed and that lawsuit would still be "pending". :D

Who is Jack Thomson? I've never heard of this guy.

He's basically a self-appointed anti-video game crusader.

A fucking moron.

He blamed the Virginia Tech Shootings on Counter-Strike hours after it happened. He also wrote a letter to Bill Gates, blaming him for Counter-Strike.

Dan used some tact in his explanation, but the reality is that in everyone's mind, there are a lot of expletives popping up when reminded of the EXPLETIVE (somewhat) human being that Jack EXPLETIVE Thompson is. When pondering the EXPLETIVE that unfortunately swirls about his EXPLETIVE head--the ones that form his EXPLETIVE ideas in the first place--we can only hope something EXPLETIVE horrible happens to his EXPLETIVE, worthless, EXPLETIVE existence.

I've been playing video games since 1982, yet so far I (and many millions of others) haven't took it upon themselves to randomly murder people. I'm also pretty much convinced that the people who flip out an kill others for no reason, would of done it regardless.

I mean... the link is tenuous at best as if there was any connection whatsoever, surely we'd have game related shooting/knifings every single day?

I've been playing video games since 1982, yet so far I (and many millions of others) haven't took it upon themselves to randomly murder people. I'm also pretty much convinced that the people who flip out an kill others for no reason, would of done it regardless.

I mean... the link is tenuous at best as if there was any connection whatsoever, surely we'd have game related shooting/knifings every single day?

While I basically agree, motives and the means to the end aren't always determined. Can't really say either way what "helped" someone commit their crime(s).

But yes, it isn't the video games per se. These people are usually fundamentally messed up to begin with.

Anyone who "trained on Counter Strike to kill" as Jack Thompson put it would go around knifing everyone in the back because it's more humiliating.

I think you are exactly right. People who go out and kill have something wrong with them and would likely have done it anyway. Thing is they used to blam/e music and TV for these types of occurences too.

Maybe we can all file defamation suites against him. Just because he is basically saying that everyone playing these games are all prone to voilance.

That would be sweet. Speaking of Jack Thompson, I'd like to see a Soldier of Fortune III. That would kick ass and really piss him off all at the same time.

Maybe we can all file defamation suites against him. Just because he is basically saying that everyone playing these games are all prone to voilance.

Man, would I love this. Reading news about him gets me really fired up.

Thompson wrote to ESRB president Patricia Vance, "We just found gay sexual content in Bully as Jimmy Hopkins makes out with another male student. Good luck with your 'Teen' rating now." The ESRB indicated that they knew the content was in the game when they rated the game.

@sshat.

Suing Microsoft for selling Halo 3 is like suing Loews Cinemas for showing Pan's Labyrinth. The individual businesses selling the product, not the producers of the product, are responsible for enforcing any age restrictions on the transaction.

Is this guy really a lawyer, or does he just play one on t.v.?

I think you have that all wrong. Suing Microsoft for selling Halo 3 is like suing Warner Brothers Pictures for distributing Pan's Labyrinth. You see, neither company actually made the product in question, and neither company directly controls who is allowed to view/use the product, they merely publish/distribute the product.

Suing Loews Cinemas, on the other hand, is like suing Gamestop. Both are the "retailer" int he system and have direct control of the viewer/user of the end product.

However, all this is irrelevant in most states, because the rating system is voluntary. It is followed to AVOID it having to become a law, not because following the system is an actual law you can sue over.

Dear Mr. Thompson,

The other day I had a revelation (or a stomach ache, I don't know which) and made a duplicate of you. When your twin was completed, I came to the frank realization that the world could do without another duplicate of you living in their midst.

So, I flushed.

Signed,

Bill Gates

I hope Bill's legal department pawns Jack once and for all. Get the bastage out of the headlines.

Back