Jack Thompson on FOX News right now

Man, I could be a General in the military after playing so much Zero Hour. How much do they get paid? I assume I can skip bootcamp, no?

Yeah me too. Not only that I played many RTS's. With all my "training" in these games I can command all the armies in the world.

I also played ALOT of Counter-strike in my time as well. Guess im an expert assasin now. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only that I played alot of Doom 3 as well.

I played Vice City religiously back when it came out also. Hmmm does this make me a mobster now?

This news story almost mad me cry it so ridicolous.

The grammar police in me just can't let this go, especially this month while I am in the middle of taking a writing and grammar class...

Insightful is a word, and doesn't mean what you were trying to say, indeed it means almost the opposite.

Inciteful is not a word at all.

However, with Jack Thompson running around acting the way he does on national TV, perhaps it should be....

For the record, if you're still in class then I've taken more english classes than you, but thanks for attacking both the name and the "writing." Real mature.

That having been said, the word I was going for was clearly a variant of the word incite, not insight. I checked dictionary.com, and yes, you are correct, there is no abverb form "inciteful," but considering you didn't even mention the word incite and immediately assumed something completely different leads me to believe you didn't actually know that.

jack thompson. I find it ironic that whenever I see his name I picture a thompson smg because of all the ww2 games ive played.

but you know, there is a direct correlation between video games and violence. my broken keyboard is proof of this. :D

I just caught Jack on Hardball with Chris Matthews. What a complete moron. He said Counter-Strike trained him to kill calmly and go room to room with a lower heart rate, and that people doing it for the first time would not be able to remain that cool about it.

He has no idea what the shooter's heart rate was. Sure, the survivors said he seemed calm, but so what? His suitemate said he walked around with the same expression found in the pictures the media is posting. He probably spent his entire life as a physically, seemingly calm, expressionless person, but of course, emotionally he was a god-damn wreck.

And Jack's hair should have a boxing match with Donald Trump's. :D

For the record, if you're still in class then I've taken more english classes than you, but thanks for attacking both the name and the "writing." Real mature.

That having been said, the word I was going for was clearly a variant of the word incite, not insight. I checked dictionary.com, and yes, you are correct, there is no abverb form "inciteful," but considering you didn't even mention the word incite and immediately assumed something completely different leads me to believe you didn't actually know that.

Yep. It's called functional shift, which means you take a word, usually a root, and add an affix to change it from a noun to a verb (Googling), or whatever you need. The result typically isn't a word officially considered to be one. That's the beauty of language.

Heh. "I'm in an English course so I'm gonna rip on everyone's typing! Well, no, I don't really know all that much, but I'm right 'cause I'm in a class."

How can someone use a game as training ? I never played a game that taught you how a gun works, how to load it, fire it etc. You only press a god damn button. :rolleyes:

video games are being used by the military and police force for training through out the country these days. While I think Thompson is a fucking moron it still doesnt mean games cant be used when it comes to training.

video games are being used by the military and police force for training through out the country these days. While I think Thompson is a fucking moron it still doesnt mean games cant be used when it comes to training.

I don't know of any off the shelf game that is being used by a military or police force. Most of these 'trainers' are using the game engine but are highly modified for the actually purposes of teaching. For instance, I've heard Sweden is using the BF2 engine to help train it's troops, but I seriously doubt it's the same game that we go to the store and play on our dells desktop computers.

I don't know of any off the shelf game that is being used by a military or police force. Most of these 'trainers' are using the game engine but are highly modified for the actually purposes of teaching. For instance, I've heard Sweden is using the BF2 engine to help train it's troops, but I seriously doubt it's the same game that we go to the store and play on our dells desktop computers.

ok most are not off the shelf games but MS Flight Sim has been used by the military and pilot training for a few yrs and modified engines for other training sims. My point is that video games can be used for training.

ok most are not off the shelf games but MS Flight Sim has been used by the military and pilot training for a few yrs and modified engines for other training sims. My point is that video games can be used for training.

A highly modified version of a videogame can be used for training. Firing a gun and playing Counter-Strike are very different activities. Your point has little to do with U HAXOR's post. His point, which I agree on, is that games are simplistic representations of a tactical nature. They are not a real life replacement for actual military/police situations. To suggest so, shows the ignorance of the person in regards to their understanding of actually gunplay. Many factors that aren't taken into account effect target shooting. For instance, grip is just as important as breathing, but both things are never "practiced" in videogames.

Basically, you could play BF2, CS:S, DoD, Doom3, RTCW, etc. for years and still never know how to load a gun, let along properly fire one.

A highly modified version of a videogame can be used for training. Firing a gun and playing Counter-Strike are very different activities. Your point has little to do with U HAXOR's post. His point, which I agree on, is that games are simplistic representations of a tactical nature. They are not a real life replacement for actual military/police situations. To suggest so, shows the ignorance of the person in regards to their understanding of actually gunplay. Many factors that aren't taken into account effect target shooting. For instance, grip is just as important as breathing, but both things are never "practiced" in videogames.

Basically, you could play BF2, CS:S, DoD, Doom3, RTCW, etc. for years and still never know how to load a gun, let along properly fire one.

Im not saying the game can teach you how to load a gun, that was never my point. My point to U Haxor was that video games can are are used in training, thats it. The type of training can used in a verity of ways. The training can very from helping work as a team, to help keeping your senses under control, to much more. Have you ever played America's Army, the sniper part? That game isnt 100% perfect but it does teach the basic breathing method that could be used by someone with zero experience as a guide.

Since you want to take it a step further, let me add. Any idiot can load a gun and point and shoot. Ten year old kids have proven that point in to many cases. My point is that a video game, such as CSS can allow a person to immerse themselves in an environment to help them in other ways. This wont effect most people in this way but to a person who has mental issues, no one can say how a game might effect that person. Everyone who has ever played baseball knows that you are taught to imagine yourself hitting the ball, video games can be used as an extension of that thinking.

Will a video game teach you have to load a gun? Maybe or maybe not, but if someone plans on going on a school shooting thats not really the point anyway, they would have figured that part out before hand along with basic shooting. My point still stands that video games are used in training for both good and bad.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/08/eveningnews/main672455.shtml
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3131181/
http://www.military-training-technology.com/article.cfm?DocID=665

Even al-Qaeda using video games for training
http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\05\07\story_7-5-2006_pg4_9
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/al-qaeda-using-video-games-for-recruitment-171722.php

1) This is NOT unique to games.
2) Banning games wont stop killers.

But you can remove video games, you can remove guns, you can remove bombs and knives and other weapons, you can remove violent media and you can keep banning and removing these things from society and guess what...

Killers are still going to kill.

These are mentally disturbed people and they're not going to go away just because we ban games.

QFT

The only way to get rid of violence is the get rid of man kind.

I see it like this you can make guns illegal but a person planing to kill a person(Something that is obviously illegal) Is not going to care what is legal and what is isn't. If he wants to kill a person with a gun he will. Hes not going to care whether or not its legal.

Its illegal to have guns on the VT campus and that slowed him down a lot judging by the news reports.

Did the Fox reporter happen to ask Thompson exactly what videogame Whitman sharpened his skills with before sniping 15 people from the UT tower in 1966?

pretty much went like this

Jack Thompson: Cho Seung-Hui trained on CS, just like a few other kids in previous shootings

Reporter: I've been researching all morning and haven't heard the game counter-strike mentioned in any shooting but this one

Jack Thompson: I went to Google and searched for Counter-Strike and their names popped right up

Reporter: We have to report other news, have a good morning.

well ya know, the kid who did the shootings DID write lots of dark depressing things. let's ban writing. and well he talked about bad stuff, let's ban talking as well.

remember when it was teenage pregnancy that was ruining our world? remember when it was gangsta rap ruining our world? remember when it was arcade games ruining our world? remember when it was the hippies ruining our world? remember when it was books ruining our world? remember when it was dancing ruining our world?

on a serious note though. i wish the VT topic would shift from "why" to "how". we'll never be able to explain why he just lost it completely and went off shooting people mindlessly. the only way we'll be able to prevent something as horrendous and tragic as this, is to change the "how". does it begin with gun control? campus control? just listening to people. we'll never know.

but ultimately listening to a talking head spouting his rhetoric is just the last thing i want to hear now. i think we should all focus more-so on the recovery and grieving.

Jack you ass, violent games are, for many, a way to vent violence and seek thrills in a harmless way..
Kind of like football, hockey, rugby, lacrosse, etc.... I know you ain't got the ability to take away my "murder simulators".... You are too stupid.. Also, your credibility is not even on par with the guests on the Jerry Springer Show ... But, I really wish you would stop trying.. Go away, your annoying me... :eek:

I think I'll go train for the inevitable Combine invasion now, by playing the HL2 murder simulator.... It's new, improved, and guaranteed to increase your death dealing capabilities... ;)

It seems like what people are forgetting to realize is that this kid was already mentally disturbed. Whether or not he "trained" for the killing spree on violent videogames is a mote(sp?) point. Yes, videogames can and have been used for training methods for military and authoritative applications but the fact that he has automatically jumped to the conclusion that since this kid went on a shooting rampage he automatically "trained" on some sort of murder simulator. It is saddening that our society has come to the point where people actually listen to lunatics like Jack Thompson. I just found out that a good friend of mine was there during the shooting only two buildings away. Luckily, she and her new unborn baby, were just fine but the fact that this happened to someone close hits you a bit hard.

Why do we argue the validity of the douche' bags decree that "murder simulators" made this kid do this? The kid was mentally disturbed in the first place, period. He was said to have been disagnosed as a danger to himself and others and yet he was let go. There were numerous warning signs and that people that could do something, tried. No one is at fault here but the kid for shooting himself, if it were up to my fiance' and I this #$@%er would be made a vegetable only conherent enough to suffer for the rest of his life rotting in jail or to die by the same means he killed people. Fact of the matter is that the real "problem child" here is non other than Jack Thompson for spewing his political hatred on such a tragic event. If it were up to me and my "family" this guy would end up in a garbage dump somewhere in many, many pieces or wearing a cement pair of shoes in the bay. PERIOD

mote(sp?)

Moot. :)

Yes, videogames can and have been used for training methods for military and authoritative applications but the fact that he has automatically jumped to the conclusion that since this kid went on a shooting rampage he automatically "trained" on some sort of murder simulator. It is saddening that our society has come to the point where people actually listen to lunatics like Jack Thompson.

Aye. Jack insists that Cho was playing CS during college, but his suitemate said he almost always saw him typing in Word. Jack kept referring to high school friends or whatever and saying that Cho played in high school, and that "typically kids don't stop when they go to college."

I'm pretty convinced that someone who is mentally disturbed simply has the mental faculties to remain calm while on a shooting rampage. Your heart rate will rise, sure, but the brain has to tell it to. It seems like he was in some tranquil rage. Who knows.

I love how he says kids "trained" on video games... what a crock

hopefully hes just doing it for money (ie trying to sue game companies) and he doesnt actually believe any of this crap. Greed is at least understandable.

He just called shooters "murder simulators" and said that no child is safe in schools.

what a deranged moron, as horrible as the VT tragedy was its statistically irrelevant, students (me included) arent any more or less safe then we were a few days ago

ROFL. Of course this would be on Fox News.

The responsibility of the killings lies on the head of the killer, but the left and right wing agendas really do shine afterwards.

Liberals want better gun control. Conservatives berate them for having an agenda while spouting their own agenda about the need for less gun control and how this could have ended differently had a student or teacher in the building had a gun in the first place. Couple that with Thompson talking about video games being the root of evil and we officially have a true 3 ring circus. Well, almost. Tipper Gore hasn't laid the responsibility on 2 Live Crew yet. I give it a week.

something has to be a scapegoat. i remember not too long ago that people were saying pokemon and harry potter were destroying this country because they somehow promoted satanism and witchcraft. whether its rap music, violent movies, or dancing thats destroying the country isnt the point. they just need someone to point the finger at. until we realize that its personal responsibility and a focus on mental healthcare, shit like this is gonna always happen.

GTA4 is gonna catch hell if anyone gets hit by a car in the next 10 years!

something has to be a scapegoat. i remember not too long ago that people were saying pokemon and harry potter were destroying this country because they somehow promoted satanism and witchcraft. whether its rap music, violent movies, or dancing thats destroying the country isnt the point. they just need someone to point the finger at. until we realize that its personal responsibility and a focus on mental healthcare, shit like this is gonna always happen.

GTA4 is gonna catch hell if anyone gets hit by a car in the next 10 years!

Cant wait until some "violent murder simulator" comes out for the Wii. Jack Thompson will be all over that with the "virtual beating of hookers was the reason this kid decided to hack his parents up with a cleaver" argument.

The thing that bothers me most about this is the fact that this man is using the death's of innocent people to try and further is political agenda. He's capitilazing on a horrible tragedy, using it as nothing more than a pedestal to shout his propoganda from the highest rooftop. It's shameful and despicable, done completely in poor taste.

The worst part about it all is it took him one or two days to start using such an event to his advantage, he didn't even wait for the dust to clear. He's a morally reprehensible human being, that much is obvious, and it didn't even take playing videogames to make him that way.

The thing that bothers me most about this is the fact that this man is using the death's of innocent people to try and further is political agenda. He's capitilazing on a horrible tragedy, using it as nothing more than a pedestal to shout his propoganda from the highest rooftop. It's shameful and despicable, done completely in poor taste.

The worst part about it all is it took him one or two days to start using such an event to his advantage, he didn't even wait for the dust to clear. He's a morally reprehensible human being, that much is obvious, and it didn't even take playing videogames to make him that way.

He waited like 3 hours, not days but HOURS, to make a comment. That is the disgusting part.

Wow, I figured I was being conservative in my estimate, but jesus. That guy is one sorry sack of shit.

Thing is the games are not the problem, its the person who plays it, I know that killing a cop on GTA or shooting a CT member on Counter Strike Source is not allowed in the real world, buts its ok in the virtual world because no one is getting hurt, plain and simple.

Parents should be responsible in a way, not the games, if a teenager has a mental problem then he or she shouldn't be aloud to play games that has violence in it.

If I could say one word to Jack Thompson, that would be to, quit your job before every gamer comes after you, well ok thats not one word :D.

That's true, makes me hate him even more for being such an idiot. I hope he get's disbarred.

Everytime he would say "trained on the game" I felt like killing him. How the fuck do you "train" on a game?

Dipshit McDouche said:
Mr. Gates, your company is potentially legally liable the harm done at Virginia Tech. Your game, a killing simulator, according to the news that used to be in the Post, trained him to enjoy killing and how to kill.

I swear to god, Jack is controlled by moron robots. Yes, robots programmed by idiots to be idiots.

Wow, I figured I was being conservative in my estimate, but jesus. That guy is one sorry sack of shit.

This thread was originally referring to his appearance a day or two later, but his first appearance was in fact around 3 hours after the news broke. At that time, absolutely nothing was known about the shooter. I don't even think "suspected asian male" came out until a few hours later. It was ridiculous.

What a second he used Doom to plan the murders!? Who the fuck uses a decade old game that isn't even based on building plans or real peopleto plan a mass murder? Seriously Jack your logic is flawed to hell. Not even Hillary Clinton wants to endorse him anymore.

On another note I couldn't even stomach the first time I had shot and killed a deer with my rifle but that doesn't make me want to kill someone.

Idiots smart enough to build/program a robot. :p

And then programmed to say ridiculously stupid things, and mail letters to people about stuff they had nothing to do with.

But seriously, I don't know how to describe how stupid he is. Like mentioned already, a new word needs to be formed, and it has to involve his name. I mean, when someone manages to transcend all definitions of words that would describe them, it's time to honor them. ;)

bleh.....this guy has been at it this whole topic for years. while it's highly debatable topic in its own right, this guy has always been a joke.

I didn't see his interview where he blamed counterstrike, but I'm not surprised to hear that he's using this to further his own agenda. Although, the funny thing was that I was watching a whole bunch of videos at NBC.com and they had an interview with one of his suite-mates who mentioned that along with Cho being quite, when they would attempt to interact with him and go in his room he "wouldn't be playing videogames or anything, but writing page upon page of text". That made my day. Take that, Thompson :)

Edit : Couldn't find the interview exactly, but google turned up this article that included the video of the interview and the fact that he had no games: http://gaygamer.net/2007/04/warrant_reveals_no_games_in_ch.html

Back