Jack of all servers

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
Working to build a server for

Owncloud (CalDAV too)
Host my own e-mail
Minecraft
Web server for a few simple web pages.

is this going to be too hard or just a matter of routing all the ports around each other
building in Ubuntu

any experience with this?

If the hardware supports it, load up esxi first. Or HyperV.

Visualization makes me happy.

Before you think about email, do you have a static IP address from your ISP?

Other than that, load up a hypervisor and spin up a couple machines

Working to build a server for

Owncloud (CalDAV too)
Host my own e-mail
Minecraft
Web server for a few simple web pages.

is this going to be too hard or just a matter of routing all the ports around each other
building in Ubuntu

any experience with this?

Webserver (80, 443), e-mail (25, 993, 110, 465, 587, 995, 143), and Minecraft (25565) all use different ports so no conflict.

Since OwnCloud runs on your webserver, it would just be a different directory or virtual directory.

I could do all this with a single server without virtualization. Oh wait, I have already.

The others you can probably deal without in instances where you lose connectivity (power, broadband outage etc)... but e-mail i'd strongly advise against hosting yourself.

Yeah, skip the email hosting...
You're also probably better off running Debian or FreeBSD if you're looking to learn how to run and admin without being overly complicated. I personally FreeBSD over Debian but that's your choice. Unless you have a very good reason you can skip the virtualisation too.
//Danne

The others you can probably deal without in instances where you lose connectivity (power, broadband outage etc)... but e-mail i'd strongly advise against hosting yourself.

I have been hosting my exchange server at home with a dynamic IP for 3 years now. Yes there are outtages, but most are short. I have at least a 99% uptime, probably more like 99.9%.

...and you're probably blacklisted by quite many mailservers :/
//Danne

...and you're probably blacklisted by quite many mailservers :/
//Danne

This. Without Reverse DNS (not possible on dynamic IP), hosting your own e-mail is pointless. Only other solution is using an off-site smart host to deliver your mail.

I run an email server at home, no problems. I just relay through my ISP's smtp server. Works fine.

I run an email server at home, no problems. I just relay through my ISP's smtp server. Works fine.
"Works fine" only because the general populous of network admins have realized that morons will insist on setting up completely ridiculous systems and expect them to send messages.

We set up proper to-spec filtering for almost a year, and it was hell - the number of multi-million dollar businesses that have given hundreds of thousands of dollars to IT contractors to set up completely ass-backwards systems is incredible.

In short - Don't self-host e-mail unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I'm not sure that's the case. Get off your horse. Having a static IP with a proper reverse DNS record is certainly something to have. However, relaying through my ISPs SMTP server is fine. I don't see a problem with that?

Hosting e-mail is mostly a privacy concern at the cost of performance and reliability.

With these routing methods will I lose some of the privacy I seek to gain?

With these routing methods will I lose some of the privacy I seek to gain?

If you relay, which is pretty much the only way to send mail if you have a dynamic IP, you will lose any sort of privacy you were intending to gain.

Honestly though, the more and more I read about the reaches of the NSA, privacy is almost impossible unless you secure every route along the way with a VPN or similar. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it's obvious they have the capability to see almost anything they want. Even if you host your own e-mail, you have to consider the recipient's server, most likely it's not immune to snooping.

Back