J.J. Abrams to Write and Direct Star Wars: Episode IX

As long as he tones down the humor.. So sick of Super Hero and now Star Wars movies having humor.. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 should be listed as a comedy.

I wish someone could pick up KOTOR... plenty of room for creativity.. and make
some games too. I really enjoyed the story and concept of KOTOR.

Last edited:
I wish someone could pick up KOTOR... plenty of room for creativity.. and makes some games too. I really enjoyed the story and concept of KOTOR.

Couldn't agree more. But I think the movies would need to shift to KOTOR's darker tone, much like Rogue One was. I'd be so down, though. Absolutely loved that lore.

This sounds like the statement of someone who is apologizing or issuing reassurances for the prior film which would be the upcoming movie.

As long as he tones down the humor.. So sick of Super Hero and now Star Wars movies having humor.. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 should be listed as a comedy.

People thought Batman vs. Superman Dawn of Justice was too dark. People thought that Suicide Squad was too dark based on the trailers alone which led to reshoots of scenes and added humor. The Marvel movies generally have darker moments with some light scenes and humor used sparingly which was fine. I had no problem with DC going super dark with it's titles, but evidently most people don't want that.

People thought Batman vs. Superman Dawn of Justice was too dark. People thought that Suicide Squad was too dark based on the trailers alone which led to reshoots of scenes and added humor. The Marvel movies generally have darker moments with some light scenes and humor used sparingly which was fine. I had no problem with DC going super dark with it's titles, but evidently most people don't want that.

Nobody thought they were 'too dark'... everyone thought they were utterly without logic or reasoning for ANYTHING other then because a character on screen said so...

Nobody thought they were 'too dark'... everyone thought they were utterly without logic or reasoning for ANYTHING other then because a character on screen said so...

Utterly without logic? They have the same basic logic as any comic book story or film does. The problem with Batman v Superman was simply that it had too much going on in the film that was designed to connect to other movies which distracted from the main story. They tried to make a film that was similar to something like Captain America Civil War which has a ton of threads preceding it and many after, but without the context to go with it. That said, it's not hard to figure out when they are doing this and additional films would clear this issue up. Neither are perfect films, but they get more crap than they deserve.

Right... because the Worlds Greatest Detective is going to obsess and jump to freakish, unsupported conclusions to the point of premeditated murder, while not noticing all the crap Lex is up to BESIDES the Kryptonite....

makes

no

sense

Right... because the Worlds Greatest Detective is going to obsess and jump to freakish, unsupported conclusions to the point of premeditated murder, while not noticing all the crap Lex is up to BESIDES the Kryptonite....

makes

no

sense

Put that way, your comment seems fair. That said, if it were anyone other than Batman, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Humanity has always feared what it didn't understand to the point of rash or violent action. Also, I would point out that Batman developing a plan for dealing with Superman should he go rogue is perfectly normal behavior for him. He's done this in comics and animation in pretty much every incarnation of the character. This version of Superman isn't the intractable hero normally portrayed in comics and earlier films. He caused a ton of damage to the city in his fight against Zod and a Wayne Enterprises building was destroyed with many people in his employ being killed. Bruce Wayne is known to be protective of his staff and of course virtually anyone else. It's hard not to see this version of Superman as being more trouble than he's worth. The film even explores the polarizing opinions on the character which is more in tune with modern times. It's something we haven't seen before.

Where they went wrong was having Batman strike first, and with lethal intent. The logic of the film is that the explosion at the hearing in which Bruce's former employee was killed drove him to take out the Man of Steel. It seems to try and frame Superman for the incident when it was the ultimately Lex Luthor that was responsible for that. Batman has been successfully manipulated in the past, although not easily. To me, the flaw here is that Batman would just take Superman out after this incident without truly learning who was behind it.

So, put that way I can agree with you but I wouldn't say it makes no sense. It makes some sense, it's just outside of Batman's character to react so rashly.

Last edited:

I guess that is the difference between people who read comic books and people who read graphic novels.

That said, I didn't think BvS was super dark, but I do agree with the assertion above that the plot was very flimsy, even for a comic movie. I only saw the Ultimate cut, so I can't imagine how much less sense it would have made in theaters.

I guess that is the difference between people who read comic books and people who read graphic novels.

That said, I didn't think BvS was super dark, but I do agree with the assertion above that the plot was very flimsy, even for a comic movie. I only saw the Ultimate cut, so I can't imagine how much less sense it would have made in theaters.

I've read comics, graphic novels and I've seen every version of Batman in animation that's ever been done. I'm familiar, and again, put the way James Robinson did, I get where he's coming from. I pointed out above that it wasn't totally nonsensical, its what happens when people make movies with characters who do not understand the core of those characters. For example: Batman kills, maims and destroys all kinds of shit in the Batmobile with it's guns. I had problems with that movie, but still believe it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The way I see it, everything that's not in the mainstream comic continuity isn't canon for the "prime" version of the character. It's part of the multi-verse. It's just another version of the character. I wish they'd make a movie more faithful to the source material just like all of you, but I still enjoyed the film well enough. Still, it's not on par with Marvel's efforts, that's for sure.

I'm totally fine with it. I think Abrams did a fine job on Episode 7. Sure, the lensflare stuff was there (Which I don't really care for) but the atmosphere of the movie really reminded me of The Empire Strikes back.

What happened in IV was sufficiently explained in the movie. VII has film breaking plot holes.

No it wasn't. But that was part of the beauty. You got to understand a lot of what happened in NH after watching ESB and somewhat less with ROTJ (and there are still unanswered questions and plenty of things that make no sense)

I am giving the same chance to FA

Utterly without logic? They have the same basic logic as any comic book story or film does. The problem with Batman v Superman was simply that it had too much going on in the film that was designed to connect to other movies which distracted from the main story. They tried to make a film that was similar to something like Captain America Civil War which has a ton of threads preceding it and many after, but without the context to go with it. That said, it's not hard to figure out when they are doing this and additional films would clear this issue up. Neither are perfect films, but they get more crap than they deserve.

The problem with BvS is the reasoning behind the battle and even worse the reason to end the battle.

yay, more movies by someone who loves making movies, makes movies that are georgous to look at, but utterly misses the point of why the subject matter was popular in the first place, thus fills his attempts with empty, soulless caricatures in it's place.

Back