J.J. Abrams: Portal, Half-Life Movies Still Happening

If that's the worse movie you have ever seen, you need to expand your horizons....there is lots of fantastically bad movies out there....and you will feel better knowing what they are.

Yeah, I see people who say things like "Its the worst shit I've ever seen!"

"Wow, literally the WORST you've EVER SEEN? WORST? Like, the absolute BOTTOM of the list of EVERY MOVIE witnessed by your eyes!?"

Or maybe, just maybe... "it was not exactly what you were expecting and you got butt-hurt because you hold this franchise so close to your heart."

Occam's razor...

I find people making those kind of claims are just looking for attention.
Or they're weird conservative SJWs, for lack of a better term. Most of the butthurt comments I've seen are from people who obviously never actually saw the film and have a political axe to grind.

But Gordon doesn't say anything. But it's an amazing story and would be a fun movie.

Or they're weird conservative SJWs, for lack of a better term. Most of the butthurt comments I've seen are from people who obviously never actually saw the film and have a political axe to grind.
Yea there's that too. You see it often when something is intensely popular.

PFKfGkt.jpg
that cake is fake! Only 9 chevrons?? Shiet. And I'm a poet, don't even noet.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see people who say things like "Its the worst shit I've ever seen!"

Or maybe, just maybe... "it was not exactly what you were expecting and you got butt-hurt because you hold this franchise so close to your heart."

I can see some of the points people are bitching about. They are good complaints on some of them.

I still loved the movie. It wasn't without it's flaws, of course. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting The Godfather, either. I love Star Wars, and it was much better than the prequels. I doubt anything could beat the originals, but there is a LOT of nostalgia there.

I can't wait for the Blu-ray so I can watch it again.

Half Life? Gamers and PC gamers especially LOVE to bitch and moan about anything and everything. I'm sure the movie (no matter how well done), there will be neckbeards online complaining about how it didn't do this or that right, or something was missing. Some are a very picky bunch. I'm not sure they can really be pleased. Not unless it's a Sundance film that you probably haven't heard of.

TFA was worse than the prequels. Only thing going for it was "diversity" and fandom hype. Even the Star Trek reboot was better in its own right than TFA. If they had released TFA instead of Episode IV back in 1977 the franchise would have been stillborn.

You can't be bloody serious. I don't hail TFA as movie-equivalent of the second coming of Christ as some do (on the contrary, I have some big problems with it) but worse than prequels? Prequels are so bad that even bad movies feel insulted whenever they are mentioned and out of those movies only Ep3 was borderline watchable. TFA atleast had good acting and storyline overall did not insult the intelligence of the watchers. Overall enjoyable movie. Obviously an Abrams movie but still very much enjoyable just like Star Trek reboot was, in a turn off your brains and enjoy the ride kind of way.

Good god, not Abrams. The only way to guarantee it will be worse would be to give it to Michael Bay.

Half Life movie? Call my 8 years ago when the series still had sticking power

Are you kidding us? LMAO .... I can promise you that most here would rather see a well made Half-life movie over a World of Warcraft movie.

What does 8 years have to do with anything? A good story will always be timeless. However a gamer bro-dude saying random crap will not.

Tell me one month in the last several years the community has not passed around rumors or directly asked for Half-life 4. It's probably the internets most requested game sequel ever.

sticking power? lulz ........ what?

And no way would I want to see Edward Norton on the screen. The guy is a hack and a one dimensional actor.

Bryan Cranston would make an excellent scientist

Last edited:
Good god, not Abrams. The only way to guarantee it will be worse would be to give it to Michael Bay.

Why the disdain for JJ Abrams? I've always liked his work. A bit over the top for lens flairs (his wife called him out on it, too!), but other than that I feel he does some excellent work. Not 'classic' style film style, but a great style.

you forgot Cube Zero. But yes, that series shows a similar idea of person wakes up and must solve puzzles to get out of an area., and is more proof that a movie could be made on the idea.

Oh yeah! That was the made for tv one right?

Pretty fascinating reddit post about 10 Cloverfield Lane and a connection to Half Life:

Here's a long shot theory: Having played the Half life games, does anyone think its possible the Cloverfield movies are somehow tied to Abrams eventual Half life movie. The monsters shown have had similar designs to many of the aliens seen in the games particularly the gunships and houndeyes compared to what we see in Cloverfield lane. Or the walkers compared to the original "Clover" monster. Are we seeing the original invasion of the Combine through these movies? If this were the case it would be one of the coolest ways to introduce it.[spoiler/]

Reactions: Youn
like this
The Martian is another good "puzzle solving" type of movie...

Another little tidbit that occurred to me. Michelle ... Chell from Portal. If you look at both, they look very similar. I know Chell is probably ethnically some sort of Asian, but if you look at Mary Elizabeth Winstead, she may be Caucasian, but she does look like she may be mixed asian.

You can't be bloody serious. I don't hail TFA as movie-equivalent of the second coming of Christ as some do (on the contrary, I have some big problems with it) but worse than prequels? Prequels are so bad that even bad movies feel insulted whenever they are mentioned and out of those movies only Ep3 was borderline watchable. TFA atleast had good acting and storyline overall did not insult the intelligence of the watchers. Overall enjoyable movie. Obviously an Abrams movie but still very much enjoyable just like Star Trek reboot was, in a turn off your brains and enjoy the ride kind of way.
Acting? Storyline? Intelligence? It was a good kid's movie. In that it and the prequels were both successful. I can enjoy sitting my ass in front of any kind of film that would get panned by the critics, but I'm not going to turn around and call it anything more than it is. TFA was the weakest in the series, and the copy-pasted, ret-conned story-line didn't help. I can't believe people see it as a bonus that it reversed the story progress of the entire first trilogy to start on square one. It was a reboot without actually rebooting the series and an insult to the imaginations of all of the writers who have worked on the Expanded Universe since. It was a shameless hack job, even if it wasn't Battlefield Earth-levels of bad.

Anyway, I paid my ticket fee to watch it in IMAX, so it's all water under the bridge.

While something cool might come out of a small portal movie, a full blown HL film doesn't sound very appealing.

Are you kidding us? LMAO .... I can promise you that most here would rather see a well made Half-life movie over a World of Warcraft movie.

A good story will always be timeless.
Half Life, good story? setting the bar pretty low aint ya? Don't get me wrong, I love HL2, stil prob one of the my top 10 games, but by no means was it for the plot.

Ugh. I don't think he is a bad guy, but he does bastardize the original franchises a little. To me, it seemed like he used Star Trek as a stepping stone to get to Star Wars. Nevertheless, he is good at sucking in audiences and hence making megabucks for Hollywood studios. Of course, I do hope he doesn't touch HL and relegate its status to shitty game-movie port....not that most video game based movies are good anyway - their stories just don't translate to film that well in the first place.

I vote they go with a Half Life universe story with an original character without Freemen or with just a cameo. Worked decently with Resident Evil movies. Being a total stickler with game plot doesn't often translate to screen.

And no way would I want to see Edward Norton on the screen. The guy is a hack and a one dimensional actor.

Bryan Cranston would make an excellent scientist

cranston is 60 years old & overrated, sorry. freeman was fresh off of his doctorate, there isnt enough cgi on the planet to un-crag cranstons face :D

I like Joaquin too, but doesn't seem like the best fit... it seems someone more stoic is required... maybe this guy:

3b53c79ff22715413d679ddd2ed23401.jpg

And YES to making it in the same universe but not a retelling of the original games... that way we can set it in the future a little and this will still make sense:

gordon_freeman___breaking_half_life_by_i_set-d4jx0gx.jpg

just cast anyone but Nicholas Cage please!!!! :p

Back