J.J. Abrams: Gay Characters Coming To Star Wars

The gay lisp is unique to the English language. It does not exist in other languages. It is a social construct to attract the... same sex. Nothing more. Being gay is still a psychological choice that the majority of society has yet to accept. Forcing the issue is not necessary.

This whole statement here... I've heard more thoughtful rationalizing come from kids online in between lines of how they're going to fuck my mother on teamspeak. It's understood that people often speak about subjects because they want to feel like they have something to say and contribute... but that usually implies that backwater hick armchair psychology statements that border on sounding like delusional ramblings from a wino having a fever dream aren't exactly the best things to be bringing forth as an example of your "knowledge."

That said. A lisp does exist in other languages and you'd know this if you knew even a fraction of what you think you do. European Spanish versus North American Spanish is a prime example of this.

It is strange to me how a sexual fetish is so celebrated.

Watching two guys kissing is naturally repulsive. It is aberrant and dysfunctional that runs counter to the propagation of a species. It's defective behavior.
It's not "homophobic" as in being afraid. lol I don't know why you guys just make up words to distort other peoples views. It's naturally repulsive as would be watching somebody eating feces. Would that make you a fecephobic? If that's a word. lol Of course not.
Taking your example of eating shit a step back, watching someone else take a shit is just as naturally repulsive. Yet nobody goes around saying that we should stop taking a shit.

Also there is the fact that homosexuality is present in the animal world as well, it's not a human "thing". Yes it's dysfunctional as far as genetic preservation goes, but maybe then it's a part of natural selection then? There are a lot of other traits that do nothing to preserve the species.

Taking your example of eating shit a step back, watching someone else take a shit is just as naturally repulsive. Yet nobody goes around saying that we should stop taking a shit.

Also there is the fact that homosexuality is present in the animal world as well, it's not a human "thing". Yes it's dysfunctional as far as genetic preservation goes, but maybe then it's a part of natural selection then? There are a lot of other traits that do nothing to preserve the species.
I'm a bit lost at this... how does watching someone eat shit and taking a shit the same as watching 2 guys kiss and... what? Because if they feel repulsed by watching, they wouldn't kiss another guy themselves. If anything it would be watching someone eat feces, and watching two guys kissed being paired, and eating feces and kissing another guy to be paired.

Reactions: atom
like this
I'm a bit lost at this... how does watching someone eat shit and taking a shit the same as watching 2 guys kiss and... what? Because if they feel repulsed by watching, they wouldn't kiss another guy themselves. If anything it would be watching someone eat feces, and watching two guys kissed being paired, and eating feces and kissing another guy to be paired.
Clearly you are. I don't know what are you on about. Just because something is repulsive doesn't mean it's not natural. That was the point of the post, which you either didn't understand, or conveniently decided to ignore.

Clearly you are. I don't know what are you on about. Just because something is repulsive doesn't mean it's not natural. That was the point of the post, which you either didn't understand, or conveniently decided to ignore.
You could just say that instead of making a nonsensical comparison.

I don't like (insert minority) being forced into a film/game simply for the sake of having (insert minority). Often when (insert minority) is shoehorned into a story that didn't originally have (insert minority) the story's quality is impacted or we're given cringe moments of "Oh btw, I'm (insert minority), just so you all know!" and "Bet you didn't think a (slur for (insert minority)) could do that!"

Done well: Gay dudes in GoT (both the books and show). In the books you have several different types of people/cultures, some embrace homosexuality / bisexuality as part of their culture, others have to hide it. In the show they get a little more explicit with it, but still within realm of reality. The story doesn't suffer for their inclusion, its either part of the story, or inconsequential to it.

Obviously I don't want to see gay acts happening as a straight guy, and being repulsed by it is a normal thing. But I'm not going to boycott a movie if there's a scene with two dudes kissing, but if its shoehorned in (like described above), then I'll shit talk the inclusion.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
They prefer robosexual.

Mother: If robosexual marriage becomes legal, imagine horrible things that will happen to our children. Then imagine we said those things, since we couldn't think of any. As a mother, those things worry me.

There is nothing natural about homosexuality, it is aberrant and destructive behaviour. All reasonable scientific studies reflect the destruction of homosexuality, spousal abuse goes up by 33%, children raised by homosexuals become suicidal and dysfunctional at an alarming rate. The troubles from this are astounding yet it keeps getting shoved upon us like this is natural behaviour. We are not animals, we are supposed to be smarter and refrain from destructive actions. I have gay friends and they just go about there life as normal people not flaming in the streets just doing there thing and not a soul cares and if they want to live like this good for them just stop pushing this gay agenda that is such a super small sample of society as if it were main stream,

...because you're a bigot.
Sorry do I know you or do you know me? I think not. I do not care what people choose to do themselves as long as it doesn't harm another person. If you are gay you don't answer to me, it isn't my job to tell you if you can or can not. But it doesn't mean I have to like or approve. It doesn't mean I have to change the way I feel on the subject just to satisfy your agenda. Nor am I asking you to change your beliefs and feelings. Sexual anything belongs behind closed doors not plastered on a screen to force everyone to be ok with it. Acting a certain way, in this scenario GAY, is not inherently an issue. But if it is stated or has them hugging or kissing or fondling in any sort of way then no that isn't ok.

Also there is the fact that homosexuality is present in the animal world as well

That's hardly a good example. Animals do all kind of crazy shit that would be extremely harmful for humans. Heck, they have no problems fucking their siblings and that's not very good excuse for humans to do so too.

why the fuck do characters have to be "gay" ? Why can't they be "people" where sexual identity simply does not matter? Let me guess, gay means they are going to talk and dress certain ways, have behaviors and mannerisms. This is all just more stereotypical bullshit.
Because, Disney.

Also there is the fact that homosexuality is present in the animal world as well, it's not a human "thing".

Dead god why can't this Facebook quote shit die? animals have sex for reproduction. Humans use it for recreation and affection. These are not the same thing. Stop saying that, it simply isn't true.

If you think Luke wasn't banging the hell out of Yoda back on Dagobah, you are all blind.

why stop there JJ? we also need a trans-gendered character and since we are at it why not a character that likes animals just a little too much?

why stop there JJ? we also need a trans-gendered character and since we are at it why not a character that likes animals just a little too much?
Someone was telling me that Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth, likes goats a little too much.

There is nothing natural about homosexuality, it is aberrant and destructive behaviour. All reasonable scientific studies reflect the destruction of homosexuality, spousal abuse goes up by 33%, children raised by homosexuals become suicidal and dysfunctional at an alarming rate. The troubles from this are astounding yet it keeps getting shoved upon us like this is natural behaviour. We are not animals, we are supposed to be smarter and refrain from destructive actions. I have gay friends and they just go about there life as normal people not flaming in the streets just doing there thing and not a soul cares and if they want to live like this good for them just stop pushing this gay agenda that is such a super small sample of society as if it were main stream,

So the only reasonable studies are ones that stick to your beliefs right? You do realize that a lot of the reason children of homosexual parents have more issues is because of people like you, right? People that are so fucking immoral that they'd rather teach hate and intolerance that acceptance and being a good fucking human being.

Tolerance=/=Approval and it certainly does not equal embracing a lifestyle.
Do what you want, don't involve me, and don't expect me to want to subject myself to something I don't like to prove how enlightened I am. If some of you want to call that bigotry or try to liken it to a phobia that is currently used as a pejorative, that is fine. I look at some of you in a similarly unflattering light.

I am personally fine with some new character being gay. Gay happens after all. I will watch it, eventually, as long as they don't try to force some major character to be gay contrary to current canon, and I don't have to be subjected to gay sex scenes, (or straight sex scenes for that matter), or excessive PDAs, or they don't get stupid and try to focus on homosexual politics in a fricken scifi action movie. I just don't want to watch some epic gay soap opera set in space, save that shit for a Lifetime drama.

Thats the thing. It doesn't really matter. When you go "Oh yea, this guy is totally gay." You're drawing attention to it unnecessarily. We all know Luke was banging Yoda, and when he was training, he was diddled with by Obi Wan, but it wasn't expressly stated. But Family Guy picked up on it.

Exactly! There is no reason to highlight someone's sexual orientation, especially in a movie like this.

He is just doing it "because", kind of like how the main characters are black and female. "We need more diversity!"

Exactly! There is no reason to highlight someone's sexual orientation, especially in a movie like this.

He is just doing it "because", kind of like how the main characters are black and female. "We need more diversity!"

It really doesn't need to be highlighted anywhere. If a character is gay then let them be gay without drawing attention to it. If you want to promote diversity then treat them as you would a heterosexual character. If that character have a relationship is in service to the story, fine, then build up a relationship. Don't shout it out in the media that you're doing it, just do it. For all of it's problems I think this is actually one area where Mass Effect 3 kind of nailed it. Through the game you can get to know your shuttle pilot, Cortez. At some point he mentions his husband died in the attack on Earth. Cortez being gay isn't treated as this big revolutionary thing, it simply happens to be part of who he is. He's telling his story and that is just a part of it.

I see no problem with having two guys in Star Wars service each other's... umm.. light sabers... I guess. Just as long as we only see shadows. :p

I'm not a fan of making sexual relations a point in shows or movies, but for me that swings in both directions. Take something like Deadpool.. did we really need all the sex montages in it for the storyline? Nope.. we didn't. They were forced on us! We don't need to see married couples kissing, cuddling in bed, or even holding hands. What people do behind closed doors is their business. As long as we can all agree to treat sexuality in an equal light in media, then there shouldn't be any of it at all.

What really surprises me are the people like on of my coworkers. Started watching Sense8 and stopped because the man-on-man scenes. OK, I can accept that, that's his view... until he talks about watching a show with girl-on-girl. Suddenly... that's okay because "boobs!". So I call him out saying that is bigoted and a double-standard. No no no.. homosexuality is wrong and unnatural and a sin! OK, then that girl-on-girl scene must have made you cringe, right? That's different :confused:

Let's be honest here.. the majority of people complaining about gay scenes in TV and movies only have a problem with the guy-on-guy stuff. Most men wouldn't think twice about watching a lesbian scene on the TV.. and most of the women I know don't have a problem watching that either. It's only when a gay scene involves males that people start making such a freaking stink.

I also feel that the push for more visibility of the LGBT groups in media is a result of the insistent disdain for them over the centuries. If you keep beating a dog long enough, it will eventually bite back. For how long has the church, media, and other organizations demonized and condemned homosexuality, even when it has existed for throughout history?

It really doesn't need to be highlighted anywhere. If a character is gay then let them be gay without drawing attention to it. If you want to promote diversity then treat them as you would a heterosexual character. If that character have a relationship is in service to the story, fine, then build up a relationship. Don't shout it out in the media that you're doing it, just do it. For all of it's problems I think this is actually one area where Mass Effect 3 kind of nailed it. Through the game you can get to know your shuttle pilot, Cortez. At some point he mentions his husband died in the attack on Earth. Cortez being gay isn't treated as this big revolutionary thing, it simply happens to be part of who he is. He's telling his story and that is just a part of it.

Yes ME3 did this well and showed how its done, but unfortunately it seems like some are unable to understand this. They feel that if they add a Gay or Trans character they have to bang the drums, wave a rainbow flag and scream "Looky looky we are so open minded!" without realising that they are essentially White Knighting. Just gays instead of women. Worst case scenario is that not only do they manage to piss off the "conservatives" (Considering how old franchise Star Wars is trust me there are a lot of old fashioned Star Wars fans) but also offend sexual minorities by thinking they have to "defend their rights" (which in reality is nothing more than trying to get more views by being PC, or so my cynical mind says), and if they try to shoehorn the a token minority character into the movie at any cost they might even risk degrading the quality of the movie. The focus goes away from the movie and into the weak eye-rolling political statement it contains.

Now, this is all just self inflicted FUD that I am thinking of after hearing these news. Maybe Abrams avoids these pitfalls and does everything right, we'll see.

I'm not a fan of making sexual relations a point in shows or movies, but for me that swings in both directions. Take something like Deadpool.. did we really need all the sex montages in it for the storyline? Nope.. we didn't. They were forced on us! We don't need to see married couples kissing, cuddling in bed, or even holding hands. What people do behind closed doors is their business. As long as we can all agree to treat sexuality in an equal light in media, then there shouldn't be any of it at all.

What really surprises me are the people like on of my coworkers. Started watching Sense8 and stopped because the man-on-man scenes. OK, I can accept that, that's his view... until he talks about watching a show with girl-on-girl. Suddenly... that's okay because "boobs!". So I call him out saying that is bigoted and a double-standard. No no no.. homosexuality is wrong and unnatural and a sin! OK, then that girl-on-girl scene must have made you cringe, right? That's different :confused:

Let's be honest here.. the majority of people complaining about gay scenes in TV and movies only have a problem with the guy-on-guy stuff. Most men wouldn't think twice about watching a lesbian scene on the TV.. and most of the women I know don't have a problem watching that either. It's only when a gay scene involves males that people start making such a freaking stink.

I also feel that the push for more visibility of the LGBT groups in media is a result of the insistent disdain for them over the centuries. If you keep beating a dog long enough, it will eventually bite back. For how long has the church, media, and other organizations demonized and condemned homosexuality, even when it has existed for throughout history?

Actually, I think they serviced the plot (what plot it had) in Deadpool. It fits Deadpool as a character and it makes a nice shorthand for the audience to care about the relationship that is central to the movie. It's also rather funny. It was incredibly ham-handed, but it fit the tone the movie was going for.

Yes ME3 did this well and showed how its done, but unfortunately it seems like some are unable to understand this. They feel that if they add a Gay or Trans character they have to bang the drums, wave a rainbow flag and scream "Looky looky we are so open minded!" without realising that they are essentially White Knighting. Just gays instead of women. Worst case scenario is that not only do they manage to piss off the "conservatives" (Considering how old franchise Star Wars is trust me there are a lot of old fashioned Star Wars fans) but also offend sexual minorities by thinking they have to "defend their rights" (which in reality is nothing more than trying to get more views by being PC, or so my cynical mind says), and if they try to shoehorn the a token minority character into the movie at any cost they might even risk degrading the quality of the movie. The focus goes away from the movie and into the weak eye-rolling political statement it contains.

Now, this is all just self inflicted FUD that I am thinking of after hearing these news. Maybe Abrams avoids these pitfalls and does everything right, we'll see.

Thankfully Abrams isn't writing or directing the next two numbered Star Wars movies. Rian Johnson is writing both of them and directing Epsiode 8. Hopefully he's able to work everything in naturally. I hope, in general, he can expand the rather bare bones characters we got in Ep 7. I liked what the actors and actresses all brought to the table (with a couple of exceptions) and I want to see their characters grow and become more fleshed out.

Oh so much this! Unless the movie is a romantic movie or such I also dont want to see sex scenes in the movies, straight or gay. (edit* Oh, and trust me. As a single straight guy I like to see boobs but thats not the point) You dont have to take the people into the bed to show that they are in love, you can do so much more and sex is a small part of relationships. This is actually something I constantly praise Last Samurai for. Tom Cruise and the Japanese chick whos name I dont remember slowly fell in love but no sex scene. Now, Japanese were (and still are) anything but prudes when it came to sexuality so if they decided to bang each other I doubt anybody would have batted an eyelid but instead they decided to do something else and the result was fantastic IMHO.

This is what happens when a liberal hollywood geek gets possession of a classic movie franchise. They can't just leave well enough alone.
What good would bringing such a character into the movies? I am sure gay people still went and watched the movie and did not complain.

Save the sex scenes for the Euros, we want blood and gore over here.

Ironically I am an European, a Finnish who loves Sauna so nudity is not the problem. Not even if there is a woman (my friends wife is a real tomboy) with us drunk-ass guys in there. :) Sex however is something I consider private.

It might do well for some of you who have collapsed on your fainting couches to remember that Star Wars is one of the most chaste movie franchises there is, and the chances of seeing a gay kiss are somewhere between zero and none. There's about four kisses in all seven movies. The most gay action you'll see is probably something to the effect of "Sorry Gramps, I'm not into boys" when Han Solo flirts with his granddaughter's best friend.

Watching two guys kissing is naturally repulsive. It is aberrant and dysfunctional that runs counter to the propagation of a species. It's defective behavior.
It's not "homophobic" as in being afraid. lol I don't know why you guys just make up words to distort other peoples views. It's naturally repulsive as would be watching somebody eating feces. Would that make you a fecephobic? If that's a word. lol Of course not.

Question: Isn't the act of two males kissing considered repulsive by people that are not homosexual?

As to the argument of something that runs counter to the propagation of a species; do you only have sex when it comes time to make children?

That whole thing of species propagation says that either people are intending to make babies everyday, or most couples have very little sex.

The Force is actually based on Islam. It is Space Islam if you will.
Yet a real Muslim is never going to be featured as a Jedi. And you know how religion feels about gay people. So let all the irony pile on now! ;p

The Force is actually based on Islam. It is Space Islam if you will.
Yet a real Muslim is never going to be featured as a Jedi. And you know how religion feels about gay people. So let all the irony pile on now! ;p

Heh, I just saw the hilarious Trump in Game Of Thrones gag (Youtube Winter Is Trumping) and now I want to see the same done with Star Wars. :D

Just to make this clear, and I'm not judging you here, but that is the definition of homophobia. Homophobia and being bigoted towards homosexuals is not the same thing. Homophobia is fear of homosexuality, not wanting to "kill all the gays".

not wanting to partake or watch certain activities DOES NOT make a person homophobic... I guess you are down with gay priests and alter boys then, right? Well, I'm not

Nor am I down with teachers banging their students (heterosexual or otherwise)

Not wanting to partake or watch != fear which is what a phobia is

Back