Ivy Bridge TDP of 95W instead of the promised 77W ...

Mildly disappointing? I find it extremely disappointing. Not sure there is any reason to buy Ivy now and I was waiting around for it. I hope the Microcenter $200 for a 2600K is still on.

Seriously, if that is an accurate report and the TDPs are the same or worse than Sandy, what would be the reason to buy an Ivy Bridge CPU now?

Seriously, if that is an accurate report and the TDPs are the same or worse than Sandy, what would be the reason to buy an Ivy Bridge CPU now?

It may still have lower power draw at stock, it has some IPC improvements, and it has a better iGPU. So it may not be great for overclockers, but it is still good for the majority of users.

Lower power consumption, much improved onchip graphics, PCIx3, faster ram speeds. added to all the same reasons to get a Sandy.

It's a very nice chip if you are coming from a pre-sandy CPU, not so much if you are coming from Sandy but still an upgrade.

If you want to go off at Intel for not making better generation progress, you should praying AMD is getting it's act together so we get some healthy competition back in the mix.

I wasn't expecting absolute miracles with Intel's new 3D Transistor technology, but it's disappointing to say the list, almost makes me wonder what's the purpose of it unless it's just a launch pad for refining the 3D process. Seems we're starting to get to that point in technology where a rabbit needs to be pulled out of a hat as we continue shrinks.

WOW! That was the major selling point of this chip for me too.....might have to wait for Piledriver now I mean if they were ALOT faster then Sandy Bridge I would say go for it.
I could care less about integrated graphics this is AMDs time up if Ivy bridge isn't going to be anything special.

Not sure if I buy this new info. Intel has had the 77W TDP spec on IB for a long time. Rumor has it that retailers all over the globe have retail box stock ready to go. If Intel has all of a sudden changed the spec, then they'd be facing a world wide recall and a huge delay. Doesn't seem feasible.

Still better than Bulldozer and probably Piledriver too. Intel might be figuring what the hell. Not like there is any competition for them right now.

Well, you know, Bulldozer was expected to be really good and it turned out to be awful, so maybe since Ivy is expected to be awful, it will turn out to be really good. :)

Not sure if I buy this new info. Intel has had the 77W TDP spec on IB for a long time. Rumor has it that retailers all over the globe have retail box stock ready to go. If Intel has all of a sudden changed the spec, then they'd be facing a world wide recall and a huge delay. Doesn't seem feasible.

The pics of the retail box have 95W on them.

Ivy Bridge is a failure, straight up. Not quite as unprecedented as BD, but definitely so. Higher stock TDP on release, incredible temperatures, and shoddy overclocking. This is definitely a Tri-Gate 3d issue and I'm betting by revision two or three we'll see some spectacular clocks on these on air. Certainly not a bad cpu and anyone that buys one now and isn't a major overclocker will get a good cpu no doubt. It just needs a revision or two.

Ivy Bridge is a failure, straight up. Not quite as unprecedented as BD, but definitely so. Higher stock TDP on release, incredible temperatures, and shoddy overclocking. This is definitely a Tri-Gate 3d issue and I'm betting by revision two or three we'll see some spectacular clocks on these on air. Certainly not a bad cpu and anyone that buys one now and isn't a major overclocker will get a good cpu no doubt. It just needs a revision or two.

Not sure I agree with you but I hope you're right. As an AMD fanboy we could use some good news (read bad news for Intel). But as enthusiasts I think it wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing in the long run. It would give AMD a chance to catch up and if they could capitalize on it, we could have a competitive processor market again and that's nothing but good news for us.

The pics of the retail box have 95W on them.

Well then...I suppose this is really nothing more than a PCI-E 3.0 enabled SB. Damn it. I hold out for two fucking months for the lower TDP, I can see the finish line finally, then this bomb gets dropped. The processor is the absolute LAST component I need for my 1155 Z77 build, and now it seems my choice to wait was for naught. :mad:

Damn it.
Damn it.
Damn it.

Well then...I suppose this is really nothing more than a PCI-E 3.0 enabled SB. Damn it. I hold out for two fucking months for the lower TDP, I can see the finish line finally, then this bomb gets dropped. The processor is the absolute LAST component I need for my 1155 Z77 build, and now it seems my choice to wait was for naught. :mad:

Damn it.
Damn it.
Damn it.

Not necessarily. There are some good prices on Sandy Bridge right now, especially if you live anywhere near a Microcenter. ;)

Not necessarily. There are some good prices on Sandy Bridge right now, especially if you live anywhere near a Microcenter. ;)

Closest MC to Omaha is Kansas City. 180+ miles each way, iirc. I would've jumped all over the $200 2600K deal in a heartbeat if a.) cost to travel didn't negate the savings, and b.) the new TDP of IB was announced a long while ago, like it SHOULD have been.

Damn it.

LOL! Right there with ya. Closest one to me is 2.5 hours away in Atlanta. Add to that the nightmarish Atlanta traffic and that price doesnt look as good. I drove down there once to buy a Phenom II X2 555 just for the hell of it. Took me over 2 hours to get in and nearly 3 to get out. Unless theyre basically giving shit away, Ill be rolling with Newegg and Best Buy.

The more hear about IB, the happier I am about picking up a 2600k at MC this week as a "just in case" thing.

Ivy Bridge is a good upgrade for most people, because most dont overclock and it has higher IPC / Graphics. But for entusiasts its terribad.

How so? there's a bit of a price premium for 2011 builds at the moment compared to 1155's.
also a 1155 build isn't more then 10% slower then a 2011 build. for most stuff it's less then 10% difference between the two.

You can get an i7 3820 with a very good X79 board for about $520 and for people that want or need a 6 core and quad ram the 3930K can't be beat. I'm just saying that the current X79 chips and the upcoming IB-E chips are the way to go IMHO for the 'Enthusiast'
Also as the Ivy's and SB's for that matter are primarily 'Laptop Chips' does this higher TDP mean that the next gen Macbooks will continue to burn your leg with any extended use ?

1155 is supposed to be end of the road with Ivy Bridge

Do you think Intel will invest a lot of money into Ivy Bridge revisions for 1155?

What makes this situation even worse is most Z77 motherboards drop the second EPS 8 pin because of the expected power savings.

Comparing a stock Z77 to Z68 benchmarks also shows the Z77 actually runs a tad slower.

This IS a disapointment if true. HUGE even.

I'm down for some future PCI E 3.0 for my future GPU. I don't think I care to much about 100MHZ less OC and 18 watts less savings when it comes to building a gaming machine...I just want my graphics card of the future to get near 100 percent usage and not be bottlenecked, by a PCI 2.0 slot. IB is the only CPU that has it so far.

Kinda bummed about all the IB fail... the z77 mobos look sweet too..

not sure what to do

looks photoshop'd to me, gradient is uneven, white becomes clear outside of text area's, time will tell.

Always Haswell to look forward to! I personally want to see ivy bridge improve upon sandy bridge performance and AMD piledriver improve on bulldozer. Improved performance and competition should be in everyone's best interest as consumers. I just hope it's not one of those instances with the bulldozer hype and doesn't meet expectations.

Damn it.
Damn it.
Damn it.

lol
did almost the exact same thing middle of last year except with AMD.
bought awesome AM3+ MB (asus CHV) not long after launch.
months later, BD arrived and well it was pretty average as we all know.
a few weeks later picked up one of the last production 1100T (when they were still cheap) from my retail outlet.
OC'ed it to 4.2Ghz which in most metrics beat a heavily OC'ed BD (4.8+).

IB should still be a good upgrade for those with older systems (C2D/C2Q/1st gen i5/i7) tho.

Oh well, Ivy Bridge turned out to be a dud. At least we have Haswell to look forward to in the near future.

I always knew that no one really needed to upgrade to IB because SB was so damn good. Now, with the IB heat issues, people would be down right stupid to make that sideways upgrade to IB from SB.

Intel normally doesn't drop the ball but they did this time. I'm happy for AMD, maybe this will give them a little breathing room to bounce back from their BD flop.

Last edited:
Oh well, Ivy Bridge turned out to be a dud. At least we have Haswell to look forward to in the near future.

I always knew that no one really needed to upgrade to IB because SB was so damn good. Now, with the IB heat issues, people would be down right stupid to make that sideways upgrade to IB from SB.

Intel normally doesn't drop the ball but they did this time. I'm happy for AMD, maybe this will give them a little breathing room to bounce back from their BD flop.

AMD Bouncing back will take alot. I mean they are still catching up to the 1366 socket I7's....Which is now a Legacy proc....

AMD basically went backwards from the Phenom 2's

looks photoshop'd to me, gradient is uneven, white becomes clear outside of text area's, time will tell.

Now that you mentioned that, I just did a zoom on the text and it would appear to be a (very) tampered photo. Even the "W" after 95W is kind of cropped/chopped on the right side.

Lots of pixelation around text areas, especially near the intel hologram sticker. Could just be a crappy camera, but I now have suspicions about this not being legit.

Hope this is just a shitty prank.

Anyone care to take a pic of their 2500K or 2600K retail box barcode label and post it so we can compare fonts, text sizing, layout, etc?

If this is true then it appears only the 3770K w/ hyperthreading is the 95W chip? It still uses less power than the 2600K and has that small IPC advantage (7-8%?) so it should still come down to price and whether you need PCIE 3.0.

Even if true it still isn't that bad. I find the heat and limited OC issues to be far worse from an enthusiast standpoint =P

Ivy Bridge is a good upgrade for most people, because most dont overclock and it has higher IPC / Graphics. But for entusiasts its terribad.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the entry level IB chips for basic builds. I need to read up how they compare to A8 graphics. I read IB graphics were 3-4x faster than HD3000.

I'm not too upset over the raised TDP. People that have them in hand are reporting that 1.3v is the magic number, over that the heat spikes significantly and much more power is needed to OC more. Seems like that happens around 4.5-4.6ghz (which performs approximately the same as a 5ghz SB). It really only hurts if you're looking for a benchmark/CPU-Z queen. The problem seems to stem from the tiny process, it just can't dissipate heat fast enough from such a small area.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the entry level IB chips for basic builds. I need to read up how they compare to A8 graphics. I read IB graphics were 3-4x faster than HD3000.

Still behind Llano graphically, and then you have to factor in that Intel have the shittiest graphics drivers in the business :/ It's improving and great for a laptop but I'd still be wary of using HD4000 for gaming.

Back