Ivy Bridge 'louder' than SB?

LittleMeEgo

Limp Gawd
So even though IB dissipates less heat than SB, will the fan run faster/louder because the motherboard is sensing a higher CPU temp? I haven't seen anything yet in the bios that allows me to adjust the CPU fan/temp scale but maybe there is?

I'm using a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H. I bought a 2700K on Monday so I could upgrade my comp since IB didn't come out on the 23rd. It's very quiet with my hyper 212+ and I love how quiet it is. I can exchange it for a 3770K on Sunday at no additional cost and maybe some cash back.

I'm willing to go with IB even though it doesn't overclock as well. But fan noise is a concern. I guess I could insert one of those cables that lowers fan speed or would the BIOS not like that on the CPU plug since it tries to actively regulate CPU fan speed?

If your concerned about fan noise, use a scythe aftermarket fan, or get a 65w tdp cpu so you know its not gonna run hot as hell and you can reduce your fan speed.

Well thanks but I want to game, too, so the 65w chips don't fit my needs. The hyper 212+ is doing very nicely with the 2700K. So I want to keep my current cooler. Still looking for an answer to my initial question.

It would depend how much you are overclocking it (since the temps seem very dependent on voltage) and how the fan profile is set up. In theory, what you think will happen is probably true, but if you can modify the fan profile you should be able to counteract it. The Gigabyte board should have a BIOS or Windows tool to adjust the fan profile.

Thanks Forceman. I don't want to overclock much. 4.5 is fine. I don't see myself adding much if any voltage. The 2700K seems blazing fast at stock speeds compared to my old q9550. I now see in the new motherboard's user's manual there is a 'CPU fan speed control' that includes silent and manual controls based on "Slope PWM'. So maybe I can lower the fan speed.

I feel sorry for those with boards that run the CPU fan loudly due to the high cpu temps and don't give an option to slow it down or the users who don't know it can be done.

I would say no, since IB has been reviewed to run at around 1.1-1.2V Vcore up to around 4.2 - 4.5 GHz depending on the chip. And run cooler than SB at those speeds. It's when IB is pushed beyond this "thermal threshold" that things get heated rather violently.

Oh okay that sounds great then! I thought I remembered reading that it was hotter at all speeds. I'll check the reviews temp charts again. Good to know.

Generally speaking, variable fan speed will be based on the measured CPU temps so the higher the temps the higher the RPMs. That means more noise.

I would go with a Noctua heatsink for a quiet solution.

Well thanks but I want to game, too, so the 65w chips don't fit my needs.

Just because a processor has a 65w TDP doesn't mean it's not appropriate for gaming. I play videogames every day on a 45W processor with no problems other than that I think my SSD it too fast for my favorite game.

Back