Ivy Bridge Laptop with 2 sockets - 8GB MAX?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
Does anyone have any idea why an Ivy Bridge Laptop with 2 DDR3 memory slots would list it's maximum supported RAM as 8GB? I'm not understanding what would prevent a kit of 2 8GB modules (16GB total) from working.

Yeah, as long as they're user serviceable SODIMM slots, you should be able to use 8GB sticks. There's always the possibility the manufacturer soldered some or all of the RAM to the system board though...Can't say for sure without the laptop model.

Any reason you didn't specify the laptop model or manufacturer?

The manufacturer might not have validated the laptop at 16 GB. In which case, 16 GB might work, but if something goes wrong, the manufacturer isn't obligated to help you with it.

Could be an actual limitation of whoever built the mainboard/BIOS. Could also just be what the max memory that model can come with from the factory - i.e. what's supported.

It can also just be made up. I have an itx board that on the box says a max memory of 4GB, the website says it supports up to 8GB (2x4GB). Its currently running 16GB (2x8GB) without issue - so go figure.

Probably just means the unit was never tested by the manufacturer with that much RAM. The chipset supports it but if some piece of software, or a driver included with the system doesn't like it for whatever reason, the manufacturer can just say it's not a supported configuration.

With ivy you should be fine really but maybe get the ram from a good store with a nice return policy.

This is the laptop specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP500P4C-S02US-specs

The memory is in the form of two slots. It came with 4GB, surprisingly, in the form of one single 4GB module (running in single-channel mode) and one open slot. So I tossed a spare 2GB module I had in the spare socket for 6GB total now. I would like to upgrade to 16GB if possible eventually.

I'd just consult Google. Someone's probably tried it & posted on a forum about it. I know people have tried 16GB in my work issued laptop (Lenovo T420) an it's worked even though officially 8GB is the max.

Back