Ivy Bridge high-end SFF motherboard compilation

Picked up a 2600k from Microcenter. Ivy bridge runs hot and probably not very ideal for a SFF build if one plans to do any overclocking.

Hmm runs hotter?
1. it comes from preliminary results from ES samples
2. It's also in highly overclocked situations, for which IB will always have a performance advantage anyway

It's just that you couldn't wait 2 more weeks and that's OK. Or you wanted to save a few bucks, which is OK too.

The Asus has a better layout especially since the CPU socket is further from the pci-e slot tham most mitx boards, but the Asrock has an msata port on the back that I like. Decisions, decisions.

The Asus has a better layout especially since the CPU socket is further from the pci-e slot tham most mitx boards, but the Asrock has an msata port on the back that I like. Decisions, decisions.

I just plan on ditching the OOD in the SG05 and going for an H80 so cpu placement is irrelevant...

Asrock has 6 phase VRM for cpu where Asus has 8 phase VRM...but the Asrock has a PS2 port for NKRO and the msata which can be used as a secondary SSD drive that doesn't take any more space in the case.

Maybe if you want to use a tower cooler, but you actually lose the ability to use some low profile coolers ie; AXP-140

Nothing else really. Z77 and H77 both have Intel SRT, while Z75 can overclock and lacks the SRT. In regards to the Asrock H77 vs Z77, here are some of the onboard differences I could find

Z77
6 + 2 Power Phase Design
2800/2400/2133/1866
1 x mini-PCI Express slot: For WiFi module
2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by ASMedia ASM1042
1 x mSATA 3.0 Gb/s connector
8 pin 12V power connector

Just ordered an SG05BB-450, but still can't make up my mind about the H77M-ITX. Gonna keep the options open for now, even though I'm quite sure there's no way any of the Z77 ITX boards will be anywhere near $100.

Nothing else really. Z77 and H77 both have Intel SRT, while Z75 can overclock and lacks the SRT. In regards to the Asrock H77 vs Z77, here are some of the onboard differences I could find

Z77
6 + 2 Power Phase Design
2800/2400/2133/1866
1 x mini-PCI Express slot: For WiFi module
2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by ASMedia ASM1042
1 x mSATA 3.0 Gb/s connector
8 pin 12V power connector

The H77 board has the same ALC892 that my GA-H55N-USB3 has. Can anyone confirm the optical out can do better than 2ch stereo? Because that's all my Gigabyte can do and I'm looking for another ITX that can output in surround over optical.

I just ordered the Asrock H77 board to hold me over until the Z77 ones come out. Hopefully it will work with a Xeon E3-1230, otherwise I will have to get an i3 or i5 for it.

Since Ivy Bridge processors aren't very OC friendly (they heat up a lot), wouldn't be more wise to go for the non-OC ITX versions (H77)? I've waited all this time for Ivy B, hoping for a cooler, more OC friendly version of Sandy B, and seems all i'll get is just the opposite. :(

Just received my ASRock H77M-ITX, very nice little board from the looks of things. Going to get the machine together in the next few hours and see how it goes.

Since Ivy Bridge processors aren't very OC friendly (they heat up a lot), wouldn't be more wise to go for the non-OC ITX versions (H77)? I've waited all this time for Ivy B, hoping for a cooler, more OC friendly version of Sandy B, and seems all i'll get is just the opposite. :(

nothing is stopping you from using a sb cpu in a z77 motherboard.

Why is it so hard to find the following in one mini-ITX board:

VT-d Support
16GB+ ECC Support (honestly not even a deal breaker)
2x Gbit LAN Ports

Hopefully this Ivy Bridge batch yields something better though I haven't seen it yet.

The closest two options today are the Jetway JNF9A-Q67 or the Intel S1200KP.

That Wifi Chip on the back looks like it's going to conflict with an AXP-140 backplate...

After using the ASRock H77M-ITX I can say the only thing I find lacking is the onboard audio. It is very, very bad. Tons of interference and distortion. Possibly the worst onboard audio I've heard so far. Its actually kind of creepy to have headphones on while no sound is playing because I can hear everything the CPU is "doing" and it sounds like the devil.

After using the ASRock H77M-ITX I can say the only thing I find lacking is the onboard audio. It is very, very bad. Tons of interference and distortion. Possibly the worst onboard audio I've heard so far. Its actually kind of creepy to have headphones on while no sound is playing because I can hear everything the CPU is "doing" and it sounds like the devil.

Strange, ALC892 isn't too bad. Hopefully the Z77 version is better, it has an ALC 898.

Strange, ALC892 isn't too bad. Hopefully the Z77 version is better, it has an ALC 898.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with it before on other boards. I'm wondering if its either A) Bad or B) not shielded well enough because of the size of the board?

Interference definitely goes up with CPU load though.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with it before on other boards. I'm wondering if its either A) Bad or B) not shielded well enough because of the size of the board?

Interference definitely goes up with CPU load though.
Are the headphones plugged into the front or back? Have you tried disconnecting the front ports from the mobo?

Are the headphones plugged into the front or back? Have you tried disconnecting the front ports from the mobo?

I've tried both sides. The only thing I have not tried is the optical out. I've tried with/without the front panel plugged in. Its pretty weird, I can hear literally everything the system does, even accessing the SSD. I'm writing an email to their tech support right now and see what they have to say.

Likely a grounding issue or a ground loop. I have the same problem on my SG05, it doesn't happen if I take my PC to work... Best choice is an USB DAC. It gets a lot better if you disconnect the front panel USB ports from the Motherboard

Why is it so hard to find the following in one mini-ITX board:

VT-d Support
16GB+ ECC Support (honestly not even a deal breaker)
2x Gbit LAN Ports

Hopefully this Ivy Bridge batch yields something better though I haven't seen it yet.

The closest two options today are the Jetway JNF9A-Q67 or the Intel S1200KP.

What's wrong with the Intel S1200KP?

I'm looking for a Mini-ITX so I'll be waiting to see what EVGA comes up with.
The Asus does seem to be very good, but the daughterboard gets in the way of the design of the case that I plan to build. They could at least have made sure it was no taller than 40mm so it would fit into cases that only have 1U of motherboard space.
The Asrock might be the only alternative, but something about the brand puts me off. The impression I get is that it's Asus's cheapo brand.

What's wrong with the Intel S1200KP?

I'm looking for a Mini-ITX so I'll be waiting to see what EVGA comes up with.
The Asus does seem to be very good, but the daughterboard gets in the way of the design of the case that I plan to build. They could at least have made sure it was no taller than 40mm so it would fit into cases that only have 1U of motherboard space.
The Asrock might be the only alternative, but something about the brand puts me off. The impression I get is that it's Asus's cheapo brand.

I thought so too, but realized they are two separate companies. Asrock boards are quite nice nowadays.

What's up with the antennas on ASUS P8Z77 (and some other mITX boards). Is there much harm in replacing them with "traditional" "sticks"? I just don't want the extra wires and dealing with all of that entanglement behind the case.

What's up with the antennas on ASUS P8Z77 (and some other mITX boards). Is there much harm in replacing them with "traditional" "sticks"? I just don't want the extra wires and dealing with all of that entanglement behind the case.

I'm with you on this. I replaced mine with "traditional" sticks :D

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards/18492

Brand new review of the P8Z77-I Deluxe... means it's coming out soon-ish?

Hopefully soon and with a price drop not too long after :D (wishful thinking). I hate video reviews, but I hope the vudeos at this link were better than the prose. The person writing this kept trying to wax poetic and failied IMO -- and should research how to build a well-performing HTPC w/o needing to use a "premium" motherboard.

I don't know how this may affect other coolers, but Xinoxide posted this over at OCN

Asrock Z77E-ITX http://www.overclock.net/t/1245830/build-log-the-griffin-mitx-ft03-mini-powerhouse/30#post_17067059
600x338px-LL-f4f0f3af_2012-04-24_16-20-59_852.jpeg

Well I don't see a problem with getting the H60 backplate on there. The only problem with Asus is when?

Yeah, that's true. Thing is that's a Kuhler backplate, which is what I intended to use :/

Back