Ivy Bridge high-end SFF motherboard compilation

jamaicanpi

Limp Gawd
This post is to designed to be a compilation of the more-exciting motherboards that will be arriving with Ivy Bridge. I'll try and keep this updated as more details are released.

Micro ATX
Z77
Gigabyte
G1.Sniper M3 (Gigabyte)
6-phase VRM (CPU); 6 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); Creative SoundCore 3D w/ headphone amplifier; Intel NIC; Rear panel: 2 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0;​

ASRock
Fatal1ty Professional-m (ASRock)
8-phase VRM (CPU); 8 SATA (4 x 6Gb/s); RealTek ALC898 audio; Broadcom NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0;​

Asus
Maximus V gene ([H]ardOCP; ASUS)
8-phase VRM (CPU); 6 SATA (4 x 6Gb/s); Supreme FX III audio; Intel NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0; mPCIe slot;​
P8Z77-m Pro (ASUS)
6-phase VRM (CPU); 6 SATA (2 x 6Gb/S); RealTek ALC892 audio; RealTek NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0;​

mini-ITX
Z77
ASRock
Z77 E-ITX (ASRock)
6-phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); RealTek ALC898 audio; Broadcom NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0; 2 x USB 2.0; mPCIe slot; mSATA; Wi-Fi​

Asus
P8Z77-I deluxe (ASUS)
8-phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); RealTek ALC898 audio; Intel NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0; mPCIe slot; Wi-Fi​

EVGA
Z77 Stinger (EVGA)
7+1 phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); RealTek ALC898 audio; Intel NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0; mPCIe slot; 3 fan headers​

MSI
Z77IA-E53 (MSI)
7?-phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); RealTek ALC892 audio; Realtek NIC; Rear panel: 2 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0; mPCIe/mSATA slot; Wi-Fi​

Gigabyte
Z77N-WiFi (Gigabyte)
4-phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); Realtek ALC892 audio; 2 x Realtek NIC; Rear panel: 2 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0; mPCIe slot; Wi-Fi​

Zotac
Z77-ITX WiFi (Zotac);
6-phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); RealTek audio; RealTek NIC; Rear panel: 2 x USB 3.0; 4 x USB 2.0; vertical mPCIe; horizontal mSATA; Wi-Fi​

Last edited:
That's cool and all, but a high-quality mATX board isn't something that's currently lacking, with the Gene-Z around. What we really need is a high-quality ITX board tbh.

I agree that A high-end micro ATX motherboards exists, maybe even two (gene-z and ED55), but you can't complain about having options. With SFF Z68 motherboards, Gigabyte, ASRock, and EVGA all watched on the sidelines and it looks like that's changing with Z77. I think that is awesome news. Having diversity in the high-end SFF segment is a really good thing. Hopefully, some innovation (or new collaborations) may come out of this competition and that could eventually trickle down to the ITX segment, where no one seems comfortable treading. Manufacturers need to determine the profitability of SFF systems and treading into SFF by making full-size mATX motherboards is a more logical step, than diving straight to ITX.

But if we have a high-end ITX motherboards announced, I do plan on adding that to the compilation. So don't read into the fact that only z77 micro ATX motherboards are listed

I actually wanna build a very small gaming pc but dont want to run mitx. It's just great to know that I can have room for upgrade if needed to. So I am really into matx.

Let's not forget to list the nice mITX server boards when they come out. If they come out.

I think wishes are being granted!
ASUS and ASRock are making some promising-looking mITX board!

Since when was mATX SFF?

I do like the look of the ASUS ITX board.

So, feature-wise ASUS and AsRock mITX boards are pretty close, yet ASUS had to go into 3rd dimension to add 2 phases to the VRM ... If it were not for the name (and assuming prices were the same), I'd go for AsRock, as that VRM board on ASUS may be an issue with some of the CPU coolers.

So, feature-wise ASUS and AsRock mITX boards are pretty close, yet ASUS had to go into 3rd dimension to add 2 phases to the VRM ... If it were not for the name (and assuming prices were the same), I'd go for AsRock, as that VRM board on ASUS may be an issue with some of the CPU coolers.

I guess we'll have to see once it comes out, but it looks like it's further away from the cpu hsf exclusion zone than the PCIe slot was on the old H55-N (that fit an AXP-140, IIRC), also looks about the same height as un-jankified ram sticks, too :)

edit... on second thought, it looks pretty high... might be a bit of an issue.

Last edited:
2214026u69xv6u9uux61f6.jpg

Can anyone tell me what does this m-pci slot doing? hot-swap msata ssd/wireless card ???

what is "mini-pcie 2.0/usb 2.0, mini sata port"?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4148/2214026u69xv6u9uux61f6.jpg

Can anyone tell me what does this m-pci slot doing? hot-swap msata ssd/wireless card ???

Well, it looks like it this is a little add-on card that can let one use a mini PCI-e and/or mSATA card(s) with a desktop mobo. Would have been rather cool on a mITX mobo (but it does not look like the mobo shown is an mITX)

Well, it looks like it this is a little add-on card that can let one use a mini PCI-e and/or mSATA card(s) with a desktop mobo. Would have been rather cool on a mITX mobo (but it does not look like the mobo shown is an mITX)

does this port has same spec as the internal on-board mini-pci slot? I thought it is not hot-swappable thus not making sense for external use, am I correct?:confused:

is this a pass-through card rather than a "combo card" as it stated?

Its position would suggest that they're trying to make it externally accessible, wouldn't it? .. but the height of it (taller than the I/O panel ) and it being fixed with a screw (+ inward orientation of the mSATA/mPCIe slots) suggest otherwise.

Well both ASUS and ASRock are just sister companies
That means they are both gonna be good board
And recently ASRock is really doing a great job making good performance and good looking mobo
But personally I have my money on the ASRock
Cant wait til they both are released and know the pricing on them!

P8Z77-m Pro Added

Also links to the motherboard manufacturers websites added.

Just missing ASRock Z77 ITX link

There's the Intel DH77DF "Dry Fork" (love that name, so close to meaning something different and very wrong :D) but there's little in the way of decent information or pictures.

Looks like it might be the board I end up going for mind. I don't overclock, I just want stable and working.

snip

it looks like it has a mini pcie slot on the left side and a mini sata port on the right side, each sticking out the back of the case. but it looks too tall to fit into a normal mobo i/o plate so im not sure how it would work.

it looks like it has a mini pcie slot on the left side and a mini sata port on the right side, each sticking out the back of the case. but it looks too tall to fit into a normal mobo i/o plate so im not sure how it would work.

Considering it doesn't extend past the pcb, I think the entire thing will be inside the case.

Yeah that's what's missing from the opening: number of mPCIe / mSATA slots. Otherwise, thanks for the compilation.

Considering it doesn't extend past the pcb, I think the entire thing will be inside the case.

i see. so theyre completely inside the case, meaning not hot swappable or anything. i guess its more convenient than being on the underside of the mobo and leaves more top surface room for other components. not a bad idea.

Last edited:
i see. so theyre completely inside the case, meaning not hot swappable or anything. i guess its more convenient than being on the underside of the mobo and leaves more top surface room for other components. not a bad idea.

Except that they need to put it on an ITX board and I bet they are hesitant because many ITX chassis is too low. OTOH doesnt the Asus board have a 8 pin power supply connector? Just what they are expecting here, I thought Ivy Bridge was lower power?

Except that they need to put it on an ITX board and I bet they are hesitant because many ITX chassis is too low. OTOH doesnt the Asus board have a 8 pin power supply connector? Just what they are expecting here, I thought Ivy Bridge was lower power?

clearly, they are planning for dual cpus. duh. :p

Dual CPU in an ITX format, that'd be novel. I know Supermicro had a Dual LGA 771 micro ATX board but even they havent produced this crazy for any current CPU. And even they never made an ITX board with dual sockets, perhaps if you'd go 3D and water cooling you could do it.

2 dimm slots is that is keeping me in the M-ATX camp. If they ever make a 4 dimm z77 board in ITX i'll be all over it.

I emailed Noctua and asked them if a C14 will fit on the asus P8Z77I itx board with a graphics card installed. Here is their answer:

"thanks for contacting Noctua and for your interest in our products.

The compatibility lists will be updates in the next couple of weeks but in general our coolers are compatible with most mainboards anyway.

Regarding your specific question, yes, the NH-C14 looks good on this model, even though you can only use the cooler in high compatibility mode because of the upstanding PCB which contains the VRM for the CPU.
However, we don't know yet how tall the VRM-PCB is exactly, so we can't give you a definitive answer about compatibility yet.

We try to get this information as soon as possible and update the lists accordingly."

If it fit it will be a perfect match with a silverstone sg08, it should be more than enough to have only the 180mm fan installed (no fans installed on the C14)

Anyone know when these new ITX boards will be available for purchase? No one seems to be selling anything but mATX or ATX

I'm very curious about the PCIe - I've seen some mention that you will be able to get x8 x8 PCIe 3.0 slots on some boards, but it seems very ambiguous as to whether or not this is true.

Some of the multi GPU tests of the new 680 cards have me concerned about running dual 680s with x8 and x8 PCIe 2.0 slots.

I'm very curious about the PCIe - I've seen some mention that you will be able to get x8 x8 PCIe 3.0 slots on some boards, but it seems very ambiguous as to whether or not this is true.

Some of the multi GPU tests of the new 680 cards have me concerned about running dual 680s with x8 and x8 PCIe 2.0 slots.

Just click on the manufacturer links. All of the micro ATX boards that are listed here offer dual 8x PCIe 3.0. A potential caveat to all of this is that I have read (could be just rumor) that i3 ivy bridge processors cannot utilize PCIe 3.0.

thats great and all... but sounds like it is months away from being sold :(

Picked up a 2600k from Microcenter. Ivy bridge runs hot and probably not very ideal for a SFF build if one plans to do any overclocking.

Last edited:
Back