Ivy Bridge high-end SFF motherboard compilation

Saw that gallery this morning. I'd probably sand it down instead of cutting, since I don't have spare back plates like him. I'm wondering what that chip hit on an ATX board because I get 4.5ghz @ 1.36v, and his seems kinda high.

Claims vid @ 1.37 volts, but it's hard to really know without them throwing it in an ATX. I really wish we had a release date on the Asus, which would make my decision much easier, but worse case scenario I can pick up the Asus and send back the Asrock. I just hope the Asus is out in the next 30 days :p

Claims vid @ 1.37 volts, but it's hard to really know without them throwing it in an ATX. I really wish we had a release date on the Asus, which would make my decision much easier, but worse case scenario I can pick up the Asus and send back the Asrock. I just hope the Asus is out in the next 30 days :p

Lol I might just buy an SG05 and screw around with case ideas before I decide on the mobo. I know I'll definitely lose some clock speed moving from 16-phase VRM to 10 or 8-phase in the Asus and ASRock respectively

Any reviews out for the Asrock Professional-M? Haven't found any on them yet. The Gigabyte Sniper is nowhere to be found and the Asus Maximus V Gene costs US$100 more than the Asrock where I am.

hope there is a mSATA port on the back of that mobo somewhere :p

good to see another entry into the field!

i guess no ETA on that Gigabyte board.. does it really offer much over the ASRock Z77E... nothing i can see?

i guess no ETA on that Gigabyte board.. does it really offer much over the ASRock Z77E... nothing i can see?

The Gigabyte Z77 ITX will likely not be as good of an overclocker, but it should be cheaper than everyone else's offerings; TechReport made it sound like the expected MSRP will be $140.

Last edited:
so i should be good to go with the ASRock board then it seems...i want to do anotehr i5 and OC a bit, at least 4Ghz.. in an miniITX set up

so i should be good to go with the ASRock board then it seems...i want to do anotehr i5 and OC a bit, at least 4Ghz.. in an miniITX set up

The new Gigabyte mobo will do 4GHz easily enough I'm thinking. It just wont do high high end overclocking from what we are hearing so far but its all unproven so far. We'll need to see some actual tests first. Gigabyte makes some nice quality stable mobos so I don't think it will be a dud. If you want something now then ASRock or Asus will be your best options.

The new Gigabyte mobo will do 4GHz easily enough I'm thinking. It just wont do high high end overclocking from what we are hearing so far but its all unproven so far. We'll need to see some actual tests first. Gigabyte makes some nice quality stable mobos so I don't think it will be a dud. If you want something now then ASRock or Asus will be your best options.

i may be able to hold out so far, no one has bought my current rig yet so i am looking at maybe 2 weeks to a month before i get anything new

Why is it so hard to find the following in one mini-ITX board:

VT-d Support
16GB+ ECC Support (honestly not even a deal breaker)
2x Gbit LAN Ports

Hopefully this Ivy Bridge batch yields something better though I haven't seen it yet.

The closest two options today are the Jetway JNF9A-Q67 or the Intel S1200KP.

well asrock will do VT-d and 16GB non ECC ram then you have get yourself a dual Gbit LAN card.

if you intend to use the PCIe slot for GPU then you will need something like a PE4L / PE4H (diy vidock) card for your Gbit LAN and have it attached to the wifi slot

Last edited:
well asrock will do VT-d and 16GB non ECC ram then you have get yourself a dual Gbit LAN card.

if you intend to use the PCIe slot for GPU then you will need something like a PE4L / PE4H (diy vidock) card for your Gbit LAN and have it attached to the wifi slot
Are you sure? Intel lists the VT-D as no go on the z77 chipset. Has anyone tried an Ivybridge on the JetWay JNF9A-Q67?

Are you sure? Intel lists the VT-D as no go on the z77 chipset. Has anyone tried an Ivybridge on the JetWay JNF9A-Q67?

actually intel does allow it but with limited support and alot of board partners left it disabled on the bios

asrock has a documentation on it
http://www.asrock.com/support/note/vt-d.pdf

and i can confirm the option is available in the bios and proven on a h67 board
http://www.overclock.net/t/1205216/guide-create-a-gaming-virtual-machine

I've yet to personally get it working yet as I lack the time to attempt for now

fwiw, I run an Asrock mATX Z77 and it has an option to enable VT-D in the bios.

fwiw, I run an Asrock mATX Z77 and it has an option to enable VT-D in the bios.

Same goes for the Asrock Z77E-ITX, has an option for VT -d in EFI, your CPU would need to be compatible ofc. I've seen it stated as working in virtualbox as well.

The part that confuses me about this is that I read something about asrock indicating it wasn't actually compatible? Don't know the full story and I have to go to work. :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried a Z77E-ITX w/ ECC memory + a Xeon?

I'd also like to know about this and after reading the manual & a few comments, it looks like this board has zero options for voltage adjustments outside of the memory. How can there be no VCore adjustments on a Z77 board? I planned on picking one up, but this has me very confused.

I'd also like to know about this and after reading the manual & a few comments, it looks like this board has zero options for voltage adjustments outside of the memory. How can there be no VCore adjustments on a Z77 board? I planned on picking one up, but this has me very confused.
Here's a link to the previous thread I started about this...

It's not really conclusive at all, and I didn't have the funds available to experiment with it...

Sounds like it might work, maybe.

Last edited:
I..erm..don't find mATX/mITX boards exciting :( There are some nice ones for Intel, though :D
z77 UP7 yes..ex11 OC formula yes (may come bundled with photoshop) yes
Rampage...yes

Concrete info on the EVGA Z77 Stinger. No more mSata, but it does have a mini PCIe slot. The NIC is from Intel. And it has 3 fan headers (Asus and Asrock both have only 2).

Product page: http://eu.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=111-IB-E692-KR

7+1 phase VRM (CPU); 4 SATA (2 x 6Gb/s); RealTek ALC898 audio; Intel 82574L NIC; Rear panel: 4 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0; mPCIe slot; 3 fan headers

has anyone grabbed the gigabyte board, i see it is on sale now

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-1155...=UTF8&qid=1354772718&sr=1-2&keywords=z77e-itx

tonymac though saying it only has a 4 phase power.. :(

Just dropped two of them in FT03-Minis with Antec 620 Coolers this past week. Dual gigabit NICs and Intel WiFi.

Also, dropped in 3 Intel DH77DF motherboards in FT03-Minis with the Antec 620 Coolers for a small client site. Wish I would have waited till the Gigabyte Z77s were back in stock. One of the Intel boards bricked itself while bios updating. Another's voltages are all screwed up (tried 3 different power-supplies, would get the same readings). The replacement boards have been ok. Also needed to modify the under motherboard bracket for the Antec 620s.

For a mild (no voltage adjustment) overclock and a solid features without breaking the bank the Gigabyte Z77 turned out very nice. The only limiting factor was the 4 SATA ports. But that's not really a problem in the FT03-mini. If you want high voltage adjustment required overclocks then you'll need to keep looking.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why is it so hard to find the following in one mini-ITX board:

VT-d Support
16GB+ ECC Support (honestly not even a deal breaker)
2x Gbit LAN Ports

Hopefully this Ivy Bridge batch yields something better though I haven't seen it yet.

The closest two options today are the Jetway JNF9A-Q67 or the Intel S1200KP.

Intel DQ77KB.

Q77 instead of Z77, but Q77 "officially" supports VT-d.
16GB and no ECC - but you said that part wasn't a deal breaker.
Dual Gbit nics - both Intel 'pro' series.

Lots of other cool features. 4 SATA ports with two of them SATA-III. Rare on Mini-ITX.
Built-in PSU - powers from 19v laptop brick.
Two mini-PCIe connectors on board (one mSATA compatible)
vPRO/AMT for remote management.

Downside is single x4 PCIe, so no decent GPU options if you need more than the onboard graphics can deliver.

I just built an SFF ESXi server on this platform. Its pretty cool.

so the only 2 board with more than 4 sata ports are the zotac and the asrock? any of those intel ones have more? are there ANY current itx boards with 6?

Back