Ivy Bridge-E (Socket 2011) slated for Q3-2013 (TPU leaked slide)

10 core CPU's are supposed to be coming out for 2011.

IB-E launching after Haswell? That makes me a bit suspicious. If that's true it could easily mean a whole lot of people around here are going to be really pissed when Haswell comes out, as Haswell might be all about lower TDP, integrated graphics, and reducing die size. That could be a good business move on Intel's part, but a generation of "green" desktop chips capable of handling casual gaming that aren't much faster than IB would really piss a lot of [H]'ers off.

Haswell, being an architecture change, is supposed to be about increasing performance, both CPU and iGPU.

Broadwell, being the die shrink, will be the one about reducing die size and lower TDP. There is a rumored major switch for Broadwell, the movement from DDR3 to DDR4, although it's too far out to be confirmed.

And the 3770k isn't just enough for casual gaming, it's enough for hardcore gaming with tri-SLI/crossfire setups. If you're needing quad-SLI/crossfire, Intel has a platform for you: x79, which is more than enough in most cases.

You know with how late these enthusiast level platforms come out in the cycle, and their meager benefits, it's really hard to justify buying them unless you just absolutely need to buy right after it comes out. Otherwise odds are the Tick or Tock is right around the corner and you're better off waiting a little bit. This takes it to a new level though, releasing the enthusiast version of your old architecture three months AFTER the mainstream version of your new architecture comes out seems a bit silly, IMHO.

I rather if Intel released a 6 core CPU for X79 platforms based on 22nm right now, its bullshit they are already using 22nm for the mainstream market but not for the high end users. WTF Intel, doesn't make sense.

IB-E launching after Haswell? That makes me a bit suspicious. If that's true it could easily mean a whole lot of people around here are going to be really pissed when Haswell comes out, as Haswell might be all about lower TDP, integrated graphics, and reducing die size. That could be a good business move on Intel's part, but a generation of "green" desktop chips capable of handling casual gaming that aren't much faster than IB would really piss a lot of [H]'ers off.

Haswell is 95W TDP vs 77W TDP on ivy last I checked.

You know with how late these enthusiast level platforms come out in the cycle, and their meager benefits, it's really hard to justify buying them unless you just absolutely need to buy right after it comes out. Otherwise odds are the Tick or Tock is right around the corner and you're better off waiting a little bit. This takes it to a new level though, releasing the enthusiast version of your old architecture three months AFTER the mainstream version of your new architecture comes out seems a bit silly, IMHO.

IBE-E is Tick IIRC.

Here's some ref.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Tick-Tock

. . . as Haswell might be all about lower TDP, integrated graphics, and reducing die size . . .

Not sure why there's any surprise about this. Any intel core i3 can do anything and everything that >95% of computers require or want. So the best direction for intel to go (As far as the mainstream chips) is towards lower TDP, better integrated graphics, reduced die size. Makes no sense to be pushing massive cpu performance increases when the vast, vast majority of customers have no need whatsoever for that.

This is why I think even though right now many PC "enthusiasts" still enjoy building machines based on the mainstream line, I think over the next 5 years it will shift more and more towards anyone who cares enough to build a computer will care enough to go for the enthusiast line.

Possibly better heat transfer was found necessary for Ivy Bridge E, BUT performance may scale better than expected.
OTOH getting good yields from IVB-E might be delaying announced release date.

Crystal ball ayone..

Back