I've read the FAQ but I'm not sure if

Sinster

Gawd
it's worth it for me to purchase one.

I'm running a AMD x2 6000+ , 8800GTX, 2 Ggs of ram.

Right now I would say it isn't worth it for hardly anyone to purchase one. Show me some games that really need it and I'll change my mind, but until then I'd say don't waste your money or an expansion slot.

I second that and I have the piece of shit :(

no need to buy it at this moment in time or for the forseeable future.

It was a cool idea, but ATI & NVidia seem to have stolen Ageia's thunder (once it's actually in use much!).

Hmm.. I got my system so by the time UT3 comes out I will be at minimums to run it ;) and the FAQ mention UT3..

So Evil you can't tell the difference when it's in use?

Stolen Ageia's thunder how? Neither ATi or nVidia have an available, complete, gameplay physics api/sdk for developers.

The only thing running on them at the moment is HavokFX.

[RCKY] Thor;1031104279 said:
Stolen Ageia's thunder how? Neither ATi or nVidia have an available, complete, gameplay physics api/sdk for developers.

The only thing running on them at the moment is HavokFX.

Two companies well established in the market Ageia caters to both announcing that they'll be doing physics processing? That's not exactly a death sentence, but it sure wasn't good news for Ageia. Since it's a race, which do you think is the safer bet for first place - Ageia's card making a night-and-day difference in a sufficiently popular game to land them substantial market penetration, or the faster of nVidia and ATI to get a competing solution to market?

Considering UT3 and everything that uses the UE3 engine will be out before the end of the year, and ati/nvidia dont even have an sdk out, I'd say Ageia.

As long as my machine will run UT3 and look nice at doing it.. thats what I'm looking for.. Will I notice a difference using a PPU?

As long as my machine will run UT3 and look nice at doing it.. thats what I'm looking for.. Will I notice a difference using a PPU?

No one can really say right now as that game isn't out yet. We will all have to wait and see on that one. However, if the Ageia cards do actually provide something worth while and UT3 is as good as it's predecessor, I would expect that to be the killer app that Ageia has needed all this time. In which case I will be looking for a PhysX card at that point myself.

I'll get a pci-e version when it comes out just so I have one for games I play that utilize it. It doesn't hurt to have one.

No one can really say right now as that game isn't out yet. We will all have to wait and see on that one. However, if the Ageia cards do actually provide something worth while and UT3 is as good as it's predecessor, I would expect that to be the killer app that Ageia has needed all this time. In which case I will be looking for a PhysX card at that point myself.

Thats a pretty sensible answer, I think every one can collectively agree that once UT3 is out and its "underlings" you'll be able to say once and for all "yay" or "nay".

Look for GRAW2...I think it comes out here really soon, and they're using all PhysX...so if you are into that game! I'll say GRAW 1 was alot more fun with my card (after the patch that fixed the performance issues.)

I'll say GRAW 1 was alot more fun with my card (after the patch that fixed the performance issues.)

Hmmm that wouldn't happen to be because BDA are GRAW whores ;) ... I'm a huge fan of the UT series so I'm crossing my fingers my system will be able to run it. Hopefully by the time UT3 is release the pci-e versions will be released or that nvidia has something.

it really isnt worth it as dan said there really isnt anything at the moment that takes advantage of it. But maybe with nvida and ati targeting the market it might jump start it. But dont get it, you have some pretty beefy specs so you can run anything on high settings and not worry. It's just a waste of like 150 get some more ram with it:)

[RCKY] Thor;1031104562 said:
Considering UT3 and everything that uses the UE3 engine will be out before the end of the year, and ati/nvidia dont even have an sdk out, I'd say Ageia.

Hah. Really? I think you're overestimating how much people will care about having accelerated physics while playing UT3. The average gamer doesn't even know you can hardware-accelerate your physics. nV and ATi closed Aegia's coffin when they ended up selling physics-ready cards to people regardless of whether or not they were interested in having one. Heck, most gamers don't even adjust their graphics settings manually.

Hah. Really? I think you're overestimating how much people will care about having accelerated physics while playing UT3. The average gamer doesn't even know you can hardware-accelerate your physics. nV and ATi closed Aegia's coffin when they ended up selling physics-ready cards to people regardless of whether or not they were interested in having one. Heck, most gamers don't even adjust their graphics settings manually.

Most gamers try to get the most FPS by tweaking and turning off certain items. Me I want my eye candy.. I paid a big chunk of money for eye candy..

Sure, *you* did. I'd be a little careful saying "most" gamers want FPS.

Most gamers want to put the CD in the drive, and play the game. Everything else is a hassle. People on an internet forum discussing the latest hardware-expansion card are not "average gamers".

Sure, *you* did. I'd be a little careful saying "most" gamers want FPS.

Most gamers want to put the CD in the drive, and play the game. Everything else is a hassle. People on an internet forum discussing the latest hardware-expansion card are not "average gamers".

I've been gaming since 2400 baud days ;) ... and was l33t when I got a 33.6 ;) with my 230 ping to the Quake 2 server. I remember getting my TNT and trying to squeeze every last FPS out it to get past 30 FPS in Q2.. Most the gamers that I have ever known has tweaked the game one way or another to get more fps and less slow down.

Hmm.. I got my system so by the time UT3 comes out I will be at minimums to run it ;) and the FAQ mention UT3..

So Evil you can't tell the difference when it's in use?

yea you can tell the difference when its in use and it does do some magic effects, but I personally dont think its worth the money at this moment due to the shit games that its used for, the only game I have for it is graw, and I will admit once they patched it and came out with new drivers and the crap fps went away it does make the game much better but graw isnt the killer app that aegia thought it would be.

Their is another game that is an army game and you control little men onscreen, it isnt a fps and I did like that game but I forgot what it is called, but I thought that was pretty cool :)

Hopefully the new UT will change my and everyone elses mind about whether to buy a ppu or not, as I seriously would love to use it for more than just graw and CFR.

Back