I've lost all respect for Gametrailers.com. Their pick for best FPS this year.....

I wonder how this kind of thing goes down at their office?

I am absolutely certain that a good portion of the people who made that video greatly disapprove of its content. I wonder what goes on in their heads? Maybe the same thing that goes on in any business that people disagree with (but still work at)...they just say "it's their business, I just do what I'm told".

Gamespot's Best of 2011 Awards are equally ridiculous. Best Shooter went to Gears of War 3, Best Graphics (Technical) went to Crysis 2 (even though it is beaten by Rage on consoles and BF3 on PC), and Best Sound Design went to Shadows of the Damned...(props for awarding it to an under-the-radar game, I suppose)

These sites are at best idiotic and at worst pure shill havens; the sooner people wise up to this, the harder it will be for publishers to flog their crappy games.

GT is console heaven. They can careless about what PC gamers think or want.
Actually, when I had a console I used to hang out everyday over there. Then when I decided to build a PC I asked for names of real PC forums, and [H] was one of the recommendations.

I haven't been on their forums for years now.

GOTY awards are really a dime a dozen, every semi-major gaming site seems to have their own. I don't see a point in putting much stock in them.

The only awards I see as having any real meaning currently are more industry oriented ones, such as GDC. Since at least for game developers it serves as recognition of their work by their peers. I'm not sure what the process is for BAFTA video game awards however, maybe that is another of similar mold.

In terms of a "critic's" based award, if they are really serious about this, it needs to at least solicit the opinions of critics from multiple publications with at least a semi-openly documented voting/nomination process.

Fan/reader based awards are just reflective of that awards specific audience. No single gaming entity currently remotely comes close to having a large enough percentage of the gaming audience to be able to represent it as a whole.

Gamespot's Best of 2011 Awards are equally ridiculous. Best Shooter went to Gears of War 3, Best Graphics (Technical) went to Crysis 2 (even though it is beaten by Rage on consoles and BF3 on PC), and Best Sound Design went to Shadows of the Damned...(props for awarding it to an under-the-radar game, I suppose)

These sites are at best idiotic and at worst pure shill havens; the sooner people wise up to this, the harder it will be for publishers to flog their crappy games.

Basically, what you said is, "Their opinion is stupid! Mine is better!"

lmao they gave MW3 the award? I won't lie, I AM a fan of the MW series and I do like MW3, but...what the fuck? This award has to be bought, plain and simple.

EDIT: after watching the video, the last few sentences leave a pukey taste as well as some actual chunks in my mouth:

"[The game continues] defying expectations with a high level of consistent excellence that continues to leave its competitors in its wake".

LMAO fucking wut???

Last edited:
Basically, what you said is, "Their opinion is stupid! Mine is better!"

:rolleyes:

The Best Graphics (Technical) and Best Sound Design are far less open to personal taste and opinion. Crysis 2 does not have the best graphics (from a technical perspective - art is a different award category) on any platform, so it is a dud winner. Battlefield 3 could have easily won both categories, and I don't even like that POS game.

lmao they gave MW3 the award? I won't lie, I AM a fan of the MW series and I do like MW3, but...what the fuck? This award has to be bought, plain and simple.

EDIT: after watching the video, the last few sentences leave a pukey taste as well as some actual chunks in my mouth:

"[The game continues] defying expectations with a high level of consistent excellence that continues to leave its competitors in its wake".

LMAO fucking wut???

"Consistent excellence" = same shit as last year.

Last edited:
Giantbomb is just as console-obsessed as every other gaming news/review website.

To a point. They have some PC gamers on staff and actually consider PC games in their awards. Hell they have an award category specifically tailored to obscure Eastern European PC games. Also Witcher 2 won best graphics. One of the best things GB does with their awards is that they actually record the debate and put it out for people to listen to and understand how they came to their decisions. They also don't take them completely seriously, tossing in some funny awards that still can cause some big debate.

:rolleyes:

The Best Graphics (Technical) and Best Sound Design are far less open to personal taste and opinion. Crysis 2 does not have the best graphics (from a technical perspective - art is a different award category) on any platform, so it is a dud winner. Battlefield 3 could have easily won both categories, and I don't even like that POS game.

Sound design is a weird category it seems every site looks at it differently. Shadows of the Damned had a soundtrack by Akira Yamaoka, but I'm really not sure if a great soundtrack alone should really make it a consideration for best sound design.

Sound design is a weird category it seems every site looks at it differently. Shadows of the Damned had a soundtrack by Akira Yamaoka, but I'm really not sure if a great soundtrack alone should really make it a consideration for best sound design.

The two probably should be separate. SotD had a decent soundtrack (Yamaoka's work in SIlent Hill was far better IMO) but its actual sound design was generic, and certainly not comparable to games like Dead Space 2 or Battlefield 3.

Last edited:

LMAO fucking wut???

It appears Kotickvision isn't just writing the checks, they are writing the reviews too.

lol I stopped going there after their Crysis review...... It was too hard to run because it looked so good- Thats a fucking negative?

lol I stopped going there after their Crysis review...... It was too hard to run because it looked so good- Thats a fucking negative?

It was a cry that many PC gamers echoed, because their 6800GTs couldn't run the thing at maximum settings. UNOPTAMYZED!

To a point. They have some PC gamers on staff and actually consider PC games in their awards. Hell they have an award category specifically tailored to obscure Eastern European PC games. Also Witcher 2 won best graphics. One of the best things GB does with their awards is that they actually record the debate and put it out for people to listen to and understand how they came to their decisions. They also don't take them completely seriously, tossing in some funny awards that still can cause some big debate.

This. GiantBomb mentions PC gaming more than any other gaming site that covers both sides. Their 2011 2010 GOTY was Starcraft 2. Brad (one of the main staffers) is a diamond level ladder player. Best graphics: The Witcher 2 (Vinny spent several podcasts discussing his playthrough of TW1 and reading the books this year, in addition to some 40k discussion). If you listen to their podcasts they often tell you that the best platform for said game is the PC (Saints Row 3, BF3, and Skyrim being prime examples). They have done Thursday Night Throwdowns on TF2 and even covered games like Nexuiz with video features. If you listen to the tested.com podcast (another Whiskey Media company) they have been obsessed with PC gaming in the living room for the past month. This conversation has rolled over to the GB side as well. Having at least a handful of semi-PC knowledgeable staff is more than most gaming websites can claim. I honestly prefer the GiantBomb podcast to the PCGamer one.

This. GiantBomb mentions PC gaming more than any other gaming site that covers both sides. Their 2011 2010 GOTY was Starcraft 2. Best graphics: The Witcher 2. If you listen to their podcasts they often tell you that the best platform for said game is the PC (Saints Row 3, BF3, and Skyrim being prime examples). They have done Thursday Night Throwdowns on TF2 and even covered games like Nexuiz with video features. If you listen to the tested.com podcast (another Whiskey Media company) they have been obsessed with PC gaming in the living room for the past month. This conversation has rolled over to the GB side as well.

I haven't listened to the Tested podcast in a long time. I like the core group and they work well together, but when it was two months straight of nothing but Apple shit I completely tuned out. Tested is way more focused on mobile stuff than PC hardware and that isn't what I wanted out of the site, especially coming from Will, Norm, and Gary all who have very strong roots in PC hardware and PC gaming.

has to be a good game first and crysis 2 isn't.

IMO it is. Great? No. Good? Yes. With the high rez textures and DX11 eye candy there's some parts in the game that are downright gorgeous and there's a number of fairly intense sequences in the game.

I had a fun time playing it overall. I think some folks owe it to themselves at some point to re-visit the game. It's cheap now anyways.

Hell, I'd give Crysis 2 this award any day of the week before I'd give it to Call of Madden part 12, that's for damned sure.

Just like the Grammys, and most every other industry award these have nothing to do with quality or art and everything to do with sales. What's the game of the year? The one the that sold the most copies obviously.

After their disgrace of a quick look of Serious Sam 3 BFE I would rate that site up there with consolegametrailers. Well, atleast they feature PC games but put some effort into it.

I don't remember anything being wrong with their quick look of that game.

Personally they should get rid of awards and just settle with top 10 lists instead.

CynicalBrit's one is decent though, I especially liked the troll video description.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZdZvf-GVs

Exactly how I felt about Skyrim. My roommate wouldn't shut up about it when it came out which on top of the entire internet not shutting up about it really made me not want to play it. Then when I tried it on his PC I realized immediately I did not want to even play it until they fixed the fucking user interface. Feels like I'm play windows 95. I'll still play it eventually but after they put the normal sensible interface.

same with Battlefield 3. Idk I don't like it either. Teams always suck. getting on a server is a bitch. Steam overlay doesn't work well, but the origin friends list doesn't match the Battlelog friends list which is shit. MINDFUCK.

Why don't we have an [H] game(s) of the year? Where we all vote? make it official and shit!

Why don't we have an [H] game(s) of the year? Where we all vote? make it official and shit!

By default it would be the latest Valve game. Pretty much everything else sends the forums into full retard mode.

And in other news , who cares?

I mean come one its Gametrailers , do you use them as a gauge for what games that are coming out will be awesome? No , you watch trailers there.

Shall we move on?

By default it would be the latest Valve game. Pretty much everything else sends the forums into full retard mode.

Good point...

Isn't that the default mode for the forums these days?

Quick! Somebody post another link to a fake HL3 site!

Is there no hope for our community?
But honestly, gametrailers is a very console oriented site. Its like the SPike TV awards. Not for you, and Not worth watching. Let the sheep enjoy their grass

Quick! Somebody post another link to a fake HL3 site!

Is there no hope for our community?
But honestly, gametrailers is a very console oriented site. Its like the SPike TV awards. Not for you, and Not worth watching. Let the sheep enjoy their grass

GT is owned by the same group of people that put Jersey Shore on TV. I think that says enough about them.

GT is owned by the same group of people that put Jersey Shore on TV. I think that says enough about them.

Ah yes, which is the same that owns Spike TV..... and we come full circle yet again.
It's amazing how trash, helps keep other trash afloat.... and they spew the same vomit....

Back