I've just purchased the 520W Corsair HX Series

bcwang said:

Early indications are making it tough to reproduce. However, I didn't really put a significant load on it. I've given it to one of our engineers to test on our Chroma, so I'll let you guys know tomorrow or so when he gets back to me.

Redbeard said:
Early indications are making it tough to reproduce. However, I didn't really put a significant load on it. I've given it to one of our engineers to test on our Chroma, so I'll let you guys know tomorrow or so when he gets back to me.

Just heard from our engineer. When we applied 450W of load to the PSU we heard a light buzzing if we were within 12" of the PSU but could not hear it from more than a foot away. With a full 520W it was slightly louder but still not audible from 3 feet. We immediately tested three more 520W and 4 620W PSUs at similar settings and heard no "buzz" at all.

I believe this is a specific issue with one 520W unit and not a product-line issue. We have, however, decided to take this one apart and determine where the noise comes from specifically. We have some idea already, so it won't be a big deal to fix this.

Is there any other way to check the buzzing noise on lower watts cos I doubt my PC can reach 300W?

In other words, how do I check it to make sure mine is functioning properly?

Nielo TM said:
Is there any other way to check the buzzing noise on lower watts cos I doubt my PC can reach 300W?

In other words, how do I check it to make sure mine is functioning properly?

Nielo, I love you man, between all the PMs and the posts, you might be the most worried guy in the world when it comes to this power supply.

Don't sweat it! You have a 5 year warranty. If anything at all goes wrong within that 5 years we'll replace it for you.

I don't think this is a serious issue. If it becomes one, we'll adapt and fix it for each and every customer. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The noise is most likely a coil and should have no effect on performance.

Don't worry about it man. It'll be okay.

Redbeard said:
Nielo, I love you man, between all the PMs and the posts, you might be the most worried guy in the world when it comes to this power supply.

Don't sweat it! You have a 5 year warranty. If anything at all goes wrong within that 5 years we'll replace it for you.

I don't think this is a serious issue. If it becomes one, we'll adapt and fix it for each and every customer. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The noise is most likely a coil and should have no effect on performance.

Don't worry about it man. It'll be okay.

lol ya cos I can easily choose MBs, RAMs, HDDs, GFXs, optical drives etc... but choosing a PSU is the hardest of them all (at least for me anyway lol).

reading this and jonnyGURU's review, i am sold on the 620 W version

? though could i go to a 520 W with this setup

Evga 7900GT with Zalman VF900
AMD Opteron 1210 (1.8 ghz, going to 2.6 hopefully) with ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2
mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
UT NF590 SLI-M2R mobo
120 GB HD
and two 120 mm fans

?

Granthos said:
reading this and jonnyGURU's review, i am sold on the 620 W version

? though could i go to a 520 W with this setup

Evga 7900GT with Zalman VF900
AMD Opteron 1210 (1.8 ghz, going to 2.6 hopefully) with ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2
mushkin eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667
UT NF590 SLI-M2R mobo
120 GB HD
and two 120 mm fans

?

Yes.

Hey Redbeard,

by any chance, do you think that when the DX10 cards come out, if it's true that they'll use up to 300W of power, would the HX620 PSU be up to powering that plus the other standard components? I saw where you stated what the 520 itself was powering, interms of the SLI setup, and I figure that that SLI setup is probably pulling almost as much as 300 W possibly.

I'm trying to get a relatively 6month-to-a-year "future-proof" PSU, although I know Anandtech and others have made a big deal about how DX10-card users are going to *need* 1000W/1200W PSUs or supplemental PSUs.

ToastMaster said:
Hey Redbeard,

by any chance, do you think that when the DX10 cards come out, if it's true that they'll use up to 300W of power, would the HX620 PSU be up to powering that plus the other standard components? I saw where you stated what the 520 itself was powering, interms of the SLI setup, and I figure that that SLI setup is probably pulling almost as much as 300 W possibly.

I'm trying to get a relatively 6month-to-a-year "future-proof" PSU, although I know Anandtech and others have made a big deal about how DX10-card users are going to *need* 1000W/1200W PSUs or supplemental PSUs.

Ant-tech, bleh. Dx 10 I heard was supposed to be much better than 9. I dont think it's really becasue of 10 but becasue of video card or I should say gpu.

ToastMaster said:
Hey Redbeard,

Tough to say. I highly doubt the average PSU in a system a year from now will be over 600W, even for high-end systems I have a hard time believing that we're going to go from a 520W PSU that can power almost anything right now to a 1000W PSU being required in a year.

That being said, there are some things on the horizon that are very power hungry and we'll just have to play it by ear. 1000W is overkill in a big way today. But ask me September 2007, and I might change my tune. We'll just have to see.

It definitely won't be required for a mainstream computer though, or even a mild-enthusiast grade computer.

gonna cut in here rather than making a new thread

I guess this is mostly directed at Johnny but others feel free to chime in please. I read some reivews on your site today and I'm pretty much debating between the Corsair that is the subject of this thread and this Silverstone:

http://www.sundialmicro.com/SilverStone-Power-500Watt-sstst50efplus_1723_797.html

I have an older Socket 754 system but I'm building my friend a PC so he's going to get my XClio 450BL and I get an upgrade to be used now and in the future.

So which takes the cake? the Corsair 520W or the Silverstone 500W I linked to (SST-ST50EF-Plus)?

The Silverstone costs a lot less, but isn't modular.

The Corsair costs a bit more, but it's modular.

jonnyGURU said:
The Silverstone costs a lot less, but isn't modular.

The Corsair costs a bit more, but it's modular.
Wow, that was fast.

I see the Silverstone for $95 and the Corsair can be had for $120. That really isn't too much of a difference. I guess I get to decide if modular means enough to spend that extra cash though.

CRXican said:
Wow, that was fast.

I see the Silverstone for $95 and the Corsair can be had for $120. That really isn't too much of a difference. I guess I get to decide if modular means enough to spend that extra cash though.

Exactly.

That's really all I could tell you since they're both quiet.. they're both efficient... they both have APFC.... The Corsair has more juice on the 12V rails. That's probably worth a point in it's favor if you think you need the extra power.

bumping this thread again because it should be usefull to others and for an update

The XClio 450BL came back in stock at newegg so I grabbed that instead. Just under $60 with tax and shipping :eek:

I couldn't justify a PSU that is more "up to date" than my PC (I'm on skt 754 and AGP). My friends system will be nearly the same so the 450BL should serve him well and I saved at least $40.

CRXican said:
bumping this thread again because it should be usefull to others and for an update

The XClio 450BL came back in stock at newegg so I grabbed that instead. Just under $60 with tax and shipping :eek:

I couldn't justify a PSU that is more "up to date" than my PC (I'm on skt 754 and AGP). My friends system will be nearly the same so the 450BL should serve him well and I saved at least $40.
Those XCilo's are very nice PSU's for the money. ;)

Just as an update for these power supplies. I love mine but have to RMA it (620W variant). It buzzes very audibly to me. Mine was one of the first shipments to ZZF and I just installed it within the past couple of days on a new build. On the plus side though, the fan is dead silent as far as I can tell. :)

PCMusicGuy said:
Just as an update for these power supplies. I love mine but have to RMA it (620W variant). It buzzes very audibly to me. Mine was one of the first shipments to ZZF and I just installed it within the past couple of days on a new build. On the plus side though, the fan is dead silent as far as I can tell. :)

Please RMA that directly through us, we'll get you a new one as soon as possible.

Wired,

I already stole the picture from Redbeard in another post (or earlier on in this one... this thread has gotten so long...)

CRXican said:

They were "in stock" when I posted! :rolleyes:

dBTelos said:
What! I don't think so :( I haven't seen them in stock anywhere for a couple weeks.
Originally Posted by CRXican

This was post #60, posted 9-11, I posted 9-12.

Go away kid, you bother me! :p

Slider19 said:
Corsair makes PSU's?

I've been away from the coputer upgrades market for too long. :eek:

We sell some of the best PSUs on the market, I think. In fact, I think you should buy 2 or 3 because they're just that good! :D

Redbeard said:
We sell some of the best PSUs on the market, I think. In fact, I think you should buy 2 or 3 because they're just that good! :D
Steve L. just emailed me my tracking number, so I should be able to review the 620W this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing this in action as the specs are GREAT & jonny liked them, too.

Dave ;)

lol ya cos I can easily choose MBs, RAMs, HDDs, GFXs, optical drives etc... but choosing a PSU is the hardest of them all (at least for me anyway lol).

I'd have to agree with you on that one.

while i'm certain the 520w version would do just fine, i figure and extra $20 is nothing to ensure a bit more longevity for future upgrades.

i've been agonizing (i know, it's only a power supply, but so many issues are caused by crappy/inadequate psus) for 2 days over which to get:

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX

or

OCZ GameXStream 700W

anyone have any opinions to offer on these 2 products?

* zzf has both for about $30 cheaper (incl. free shipping), but newegg's website offers much better info ;)

I have both of those actually. They both get the job done just fine. I like the Corsair more because it is modular and doesn't have a led fan. Of course, those are things you know before you buy it, and shouldn't be held against the OCZ. Jonny reviewed both and found that the OCZ had too much ripple on some of the tests, but from what I remember, that was when the unit was pretty maxed out, so I'd take that into account.

What are the specs of the system you're building?

I have both of those actually. They both get the job done just fine. I like the Corsair more because it is modular and doesn't have a led fan. Of course, those are things you know before you buy it, and shouldn't be held against the OCZ. Jonny reviewed both and found that the OCZ had too much ripple on some of the tests, but from what I remember, that was when the unit was pretty maxed out, so I'd take that into account.

What are the specs of the system you're building?

well, it's not a new build.. and i'd say "to make a long story short.." but that would be a lie, so, to make a long story long...

i have 4 desktops, and the new part will be going into:

liquid cooled amd x2 3800+ @2.4Ghz
dfi lanparty ut nf4 ultra d
4x corsair xms 512 3200c2pro
radeon x1800xt 512
2x seagate 160gb sata
2x maxtor 250gb (raid0)
nec dvdr
lg dvdr
sb audigy
ocz modstream 520w
thermaltake tsunami
logitech g15 gaming kb
logitech g7 laser mouse
logitech thx 5.1

it's recently started to randomly reboot very intermittently; only once every couple of days. i've kind of attributed that to to the ocz getting a bit more load than it's rated for.

i'll be replacing the ocz in the above rig with one or the other, and putting the ocz modstream in the following rig, replacing a thermaltake silent purepower 480w:

amd athlon64 3000+ @2.4ghz
dfi lanparty ut nf3
2x geil 12mb cas2.5
his x1950pro (agp)
seagate 160gb sata
2x seagate 160gb sata (raid0)

the reason for this is that i had to back off on the overclock after i installed the x1950pro (the 6800gt in it died; just rec'd rma from bfg and it's found new life in another one of my desktops, replacing a 9800pro) as every now and then, it would random reboot/shut down. when it shut down, i have to turn the ps off, then back on before it will restart.

it's my hope that installing a new psu in the first pc and replacing the thermaltake in the second pc will result in better stability in both. the ocz modstream should work great in the second pc as it doesn't have near the power requirements of my main desktop, which will be receiving an 8800GTS in short time.

Back