I’ve got to terminate a lot of ethernet cables.

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
So. I’ve got to terminate a lot of ethernet. What system is the perfect mix of being easiest and most robust?

Keystone with plugs in the wall (female) and male ends at the source.

At least 50 female ends (wall jacks) and same for the males ends.

Best practice would be keystones at the wall ends and patch panels at the other end. Then use quality patch cables to connect devices as needed.

Most really large networks I have dealt with avoid user terminated male ends at all cost.

Best practice would be keystones at the wall ends and patch panels at the other end. Then use quality patch cables to connect devices as needed.

Most really large networks I have dealt with avoid user terminated male ends at all cost.

Gotcha.

Specifically what product would you recommend for the keystones, patch panels and patch cables (not length)?

Cat 6 in the walls.

All comes down to cost. I find Monoprice and Cable Matters stuff works reasonable well. Leviton is a bit of a step up, available everywhere, and has a large variety of color options.

There are certainly higher end / more expensive options, but I only use them when a company's policy dictates to.

Reactions: Liver
like this
I’m looking for stuff that is easy and robust for a non professional like myself.

Monoprice is great by me.

I’ll get a rack as well to keep it somewhat centralized.

Just be sure to get solid core cables for in wall runs. I believe most if not all keystones are designed for solid core cables. Save the stranded stuff for patch cables that are moved around a lot. Just be sure they are all designed for each other such as solid CAT6 keystones with solid CAT6 cables. I was a bit annoyed when my home builder used CAT5e jacks with “CAT6e” cables. I re-terminated them all and so far so good. It’s not kosher but I used plugs for the locations where my Ubiquiti APs would go. Not sure if a recessed 1-gang keystone box exists that would still allow me to mount an AP to it using the standard 1-gang screw locations.

like this
We used non stranded 6e cable in the walls. That part is already done.

I looked on Monoprice and Amazon for the keystones. Amazon’s price for the Cable Matters gear was very good (keystones, patch panel and keystone wall plate) so I got it from there. All the stuff was Cable Matters branded, hopefully I will not have any fitment issues (even the annoying minor ones).

All the stuff was Cable Matters branded, hopefully I will not have any fitment issues (even the annoying minor ones).

I have used a lot of Cable Matters stuff and have never had any issues. If you buy a set of keystones it should come with something like zedicus posted without the hand strap.

I use this punchdown tool instead of the impact ones. Much easier on the hands and seems to work just as well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...wn-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver-VDV001-081/203275492

Last edited:
Sweet. I’ll get that too.
It’s standard cat6e cable. Any particular wire stripper? I don’t need something that is massively adjustable. Just need to do this task.

If you are just doing one job something like wra18th posted should be fine. If you are going to make a habit of working with Cat6 in the future you may want to invest in an adjustable one.

Whatever you choose just make sure you do a handful of test strips and inspect the wires closely before doing the entire network.

like this
Back