I've got the itch again... (help with w/c)

PC-HAngover

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello friends!

It's been several years (read: 2006), since I've dipped my toes in water but I've got the itch to do it again. Here are the specs on my current rig:

i7-3770k
Asrock Extreme 6 Z77 mobo
32gb G.Skill ARES DDR3 1866 (4x8)
Sapphire 290 (non-x)

I've got the cpu cooled by a Corsair H50 that I got on clearance like 3 years ago and it does a 'meh' job. I can only seem to get 4.4Ghz out of it without win8 dumping. I'm almost positive heat is holding me back because it spikes to 78-82C before quitting on me.

The 290 is reference cooled for now but I'm working on Accelero 3 to do some decent air cooling on it, so for now it's bone stock.

I JUST got a case to replace my old Lian Li that doesn't fit the huge accelero 3 for pretty cheap - Corsair 200R... and now I begin to think about w/c even though it's going to be a very tight fit.

It looks like I can fit a 280mm radiator at the top of the case pretty easily, and worst case, possibly another 120mm rad at the back. I'm just curious at your thoughts about how much radiator I'll need. Doing some quick calculations it looks like I'll have about ~490 TDP with the single card and an oc on my 3770k.

Here is what I'm possibly looking at.

Kit option:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...cts_id=34959:f5fc621395e29379f97061215b24c253

Stand-alone build:
Rad:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_457_458&products_id=34830

Pump/Res:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=36962
or
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=35143
or
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=34679

I'm still looking into CPU blocks and I'll probably go with the Koolance 290 block over the EK as I've heard terrible things about support from EK.

Any thoughts on this? Is it not worth it in my current case? Please give me a reason not to spend money!? lol

Also I'll need to hear from everyone what's good these days in regards to tubing/fittings, etc. The last time I did this I took a trip to Tractor Supply to get most of my parts lol. It looks like compression fittings have become much more common place than they were several years ago.

it comes down to what you want to spend. in 2006 there was a kinda level standard for water cooling components, now the sky is the limit. if you have enough cash for high end water parts then my opinion is i would rather have a phase change unit.

I'd like to keep the build as cheap as possible without cutting serious corners. I'm estimating around $400? Do you think that's a good level to shoot for?

just the cpu yes. thats more than enough to get good cooling. if you start getting into solid copper or nickle fittings, solid nickle block and such then you will be pushing it at 400.00. there are just so many choices now its mind numbing.

just the cpu yes. thats more than enough to get good cooling. if you start getting into solid copper or nickle fittings, solid nickle block and such then you will be pushing it at 400.00. there are just so many choices now its mind numbing.

So you're thinking a 280mm rad isn't enough for cpu + 290? I think I can get all that for around $450 (including the 290 block).

Last edited:
i would never consider doing a single loop incorporating a gpu as hot as the 290. it defeats the purpose of wanting to get the most out of your cpu. i would do a dual loop system in that case. you will also need a full block for that card as i hear everything about them is hoooooootttttt.

$400 is definitely doable, especially if you buy some parts used.

$50-60 for good CPU block (I recommend the XSPC Raystorm or Swiftech Apogee HD)
~$150 for 280 + 120mm radiator (take measurements of how much
~$75 for pump (recommend Laing D5 or one of the variants)
~$50 for everything else (fittings, killcoil, tubing, etc)

Dual loop has been shown to have minimal performance benefits over single loop. You only do that when you're aiming for overkill (480+ radiator per component).

Read this.

$400 is definitely doable, especially if you buy some parts used.

$50-60 for good CPU block (I recommend the XSPC Raystorm or Swiftech Apogee HD)
~$150 for 280 + 120mm radiator (take measurements of how much
~$75 for pump (recommend Laing D5 or one of the variants)
~$50 for everything else (fittings, killcoil, tubing, etc)

Dual loop has been shown to have minimal performance benefits over single loop. You only do that when you're aiming for overkill (480+ radiator per component).

Read this.

I definitely like where you're going with this. I'm also thinking about buying a larger case... something that could fit a 3x120mm radiator or similar. Would I get the same performance out of that versus 2 separate rads, leaving out the dual 140mm option and only looking at 120mm?

I might be able to talk my wife into letting me build into a new case, raising my budget to ~$650 with case.

Surface area is the primary determinant of performance. Given that everything else is equal, a 280 + 120 radiator will outperform a 360 radiator, as a 280 radiator on its own has almost as much surface area as a 360.

Surface area is the primary determinant of performance. Given that everything else is equal, a 280 + 120 radiator will outperform a 360 radiator, as a 280 radiator on its own has almost as much surface area as a 360.

Roger that. On the case front, if you had $150 to spend what would you get? Corsair 750D has been thrown around a lot as a good w/c rig. I've also hear decent things about the Air 540 but I don't like it being so wide.

The Corsair 900D is on sale right now for 255 AR.. I have one on the way.. You can put as much water cooling in it as you can dream up lol.. But for what you cooling you could do..
360 Rad 100
290 water block 100
xspc cpu block 50
pump 75
tubing 8 bucks from lowes
Fittings if you want good ones around 35-50
resivor if you want a real one 50

Total 425 give or take..

I have the Azza Genesis 9000, which I got for ~$130. It's definitely a very nice case, I especially like the upside-down layout of it. I currently have a GTX 480 radiator and GTX 280 radiator in it. But yeah, the 900D is indeed a very nice case, though I probably would prefer the Phantom 820. All those light options make me giddy. And rear panel light on the case? How come no one ever thought of that? But I digress.

I would get tubing from wherever you buy your watercooling parts from.

If you're getting a 900D, go with a 480 radiator, you will (most likely) regret getting a 360.

Yea for a 900d a 360 would be coming up short.. I just posted what could be done for around 400.. In my old 700D case I had dual internal RX360's in it.. The 900D will have at least 2x480's if not more in it.. Plan on a triple video card setup with a Hex core.

Well unfortunately the 900d is out of my price range but I'm really looking at the 750d, and the Fractal Design Arc XL. I'm just not sure which would be better for watercooling.

Out of the 2 the Arc XL looks to be better as far as being able to use a 360 rad and 240. Then also being able to use full size hard drives with better air flow.. I would get the Arc XL

Both the 750D and the Arc XL should be good for WC'ing but between the two I'd probably pick the 750D based on nothing in particular other than looks and my experience with the 800D

Out of the 2 the Arc XL looks to be better as far as being able to use a 360 rad and 240. Then also being able to use full size hard drives with better air flow.. I would get the Arc XL

The 750D is also capable of mounting a 360 (top) and a 280 (front), so I don't see a win for the Arc XL there. You can also put the 280 in the front and use 3.5" drives in the 750D

The nzxt switch 810 can handle a good amount of WC for the price you're looking at as well. Might be worth looking at.

Back