I've betrayed my country

AMD is already done, it has no money or market share. Pascal is just going to dance on it's grave.

This made me laugh. Unfortunately it's probably true. nVidia said ignoring the die shrink they dumped over a billion dollars into the Pascal architecture. They spent more on Pascal engineering than AMD makes in gross margin in a year from all their products.

This made me laugh. Unfortunately it's probably true. nVidia said ignoring the die shrink they dumped over a billion dollars into the Pascal architecture. They spent more on Pascal engineering than AMD makes in gross margin in a year from all their products.

Spending a ton of money does not equate success. Look at Intel's GPU success.

Well you don't need to be the biggest company to be relevant. The only problem I see AMD having is satisfying investors. They are the ones that ultimately determine if a company stays in business or not.

Perfect example is Intel. 20 billion a year in sales? Can't release a new CPU in 5 years and is now scrambling to break into the mobile market to satisfy investors. Laying off people to appeal to investor sentiment. All of that R&D money being pissed to the wind.

Smartest company is Valve and a close second is Dell by taking their business private. Nobody to answer to but their customers. The more they appeal to what their customers want, the more money they make. The more they make the more R&D they invest to make their customers happier.

True... but nVidia has a decent track record. nVidia has the performance lead now. I don't expect AMD to leap frog nVidia, I expect basically the same thing scaled down from AMD. nVidia on the other hand I expect to see improvements besides the node shrink.

Money isn't everything but when you're bleeding red vs a sea of green there are certain realities.

Last edited:
I switched to green earlier this year. The drivers are not better in any way, unless it is sli profiles.

Seriously you need to go read the driver releases for Nvidia on forums. They have quite a few issues as well. The past year has seen a number of problems for users. Chances are it is still a minority as is your case with AMD but doesn't mean either is better or worse.

Nothing is perfect but money helps, it's hard to refute that logic.

If I hadn't scored a $139.99 EVGA GTX 970 card in the mispriced Microcenter deal around Easter weekend this year, I would still be running an AMD card. The 970 is very nice, but I wouldn't drop $300 for it. But then again, I am 46 and not a huge gamer.

Overall, I feel bad for AMD. It is tough to compete against Intel and Nvidia.

If I hadn't scored a $139.99 EVGA GTX 970 card in the mispriced Microcenter deal around Easter weekend this year, I would still be running an AMD card. The 970 is very nice, but I wouldn't drop $300 for it. But then again, I am 46 and not a huge gamer.

Overall, I feel bad for AMD. It is tough to compete against Intel and Nvidia.

In the CPU front AMD is having a rough go. But in the GPU space they are very competitive.

Agree there, I think for single card setups AMD is very competitive. 290x is a great card. The fact that it gets compared to the 980ti is a testament to that.

Agree there, I think for single card setups AMD is very competitive. 290x is a great card. The fact that it gets compared to the 980ti is a testament to that.

you probably mean GTX 980, not 980TI... I think the 290X can be my favorite replacement to one of the more successful cards (in terms of longevity) which its the HD7970 that are still strong and capable card after almost 4 years..

I've always been down to try red every once in a while but honestly, the last card from them I actually liked and ran good for me was a 4890. Since then I've had 2 6970's, 2 7970's, and 2 290x's. Even though I would sometimes get better framerates than a team green equivalent, they seemed to never be as smooth for some reason. I also play CS:GO a lot and for some reason (and I know this is probably just me) I got really low framerates, like ~100 when I get ~300 with nVidia.

Not to mention by the time I got to the 290x's how damn hot and loud they were. Now they're new flagship HAS to have an aio cooler and it just trades blows with the 980ti and it costs MORE!!?? They really need to get their shit together. The 290x was a Titan equivalent for half the price when it came out.

It's bad for all of us, nVidia will just be able to rape us silly, even worse than they have been.

I've always been down to try red every once in a while but honestly, the last card from them I actually liked and ran good for me was a 4890. Since then I've had 2 6970's, 2 7970's, and 2 290x's. Even though I would sometimes get better framerates than a team green equivalent, they seemed to never be as smooth for some reason. I also play CS:GO a lot and for some reason (and I know this is probably just me) I got really low framerates, like ~100 when I get ~300 with nVidia.

Not to mention by the time I got to the 290x's how damn hot and loud they were. Now they're new flagship HAS to have an aio cooler and it just trades blows with the 980ti and it costs MORE!!?? They really need to get their shit together. The 290x was a Titan equivalent for half the price when it came out.

It's bad for all of us, nVidia will just be able to rape us silly, even worse than they have been.

This time things were going in the same direction. as probably AMD never expected nvidia would launch the 980TI offering better price/performance than any other card in the market. without the 980TI Fury X would have been probably a Titan Killer at 4K not by performance but by price.

dont be silly, they all know what their competition is up to.

dont be silly, they all know what their competition is up to.

nah, nvidia wanted to hit hard AMD and kill a lot of their sales by putting the 980TI at 650$ (which is actually even lower in a lot of models). they could have easily priced the 980TI at 750$ even 800$.

The performance difference in the reference model allow that kind of price/performance difference even more with custom AIB cards with super high clocks performing better than Titan X out of the box, but no, they wanted to shelve AMD. you know, all of those "Fury X is a good card but not worth that price compared to 980TI" would never had existed, instead we would have received things like "AMD hit the spot correctly pricing the Fury X at 650$ offering again better price/ performance than nvidia similar priced 980TI, this will certainly put some pressure on Nvidia maybe forcing it to make a price cut, specially seeing how competitive is at 4K" all the landscape change with a couple of numbers changing here and there... Fury X would be highly demanded and acclaimed in every review.

doesnt mean AMD didnt know about it.

These people arent stupid, and they all have insides sources.

980TI was released before Fury X that makes it silly to say anything about the price because their only competition was Titan X which cost a lot more. The idea that Nvidia could offer it for such a low price does not surprise me there have been reports that Nvidia sold products at cost even at a loss.

But you do know that Intel leads the top % of single type of GPU used on steam right :)

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Lol total shares though they are only 18% of steam users.

If it means anything to AMD boys, AMD gpus only account for 8% more of gpu usage. Nvidia seemingly combines for as much as amd and intel provides.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

There's roughly 7.5 million steam users on at a given time. That's 1.4 million people on steam now using intel gpus. That's actually not that bad if you think about it for a crappy graphic system :)

Last edited:
But you do know that Intel leads the top % of single type of GPU used on steam right :)

If it means anything to AMD boys, AMD gpus only account for 8% more of gpu usage. Nvidia seemingly combines for as much as amd and intel provides.

There's roughly 7.5 million steam users on at a given time. That's 1.4 million people on steam now using intel gpus. That's actually not that bad if you think about it for a crappy graphic system :)

I hope you aren't being serious.. intel iGPU are counted even if aren't in use just for being there.. laptops and desktop by equal..

what they mean is all the failed intents on intel to enter in the discrete GPU market.

And not exactly a choice, those come with the CPU. Intel has tried and failed miserably at entering the discrete GPU market. Evidence that money doesn't equate success.

And not exactly a choice, those come with the CPU. Intel has tried and failed miserably at entering the discrete GPU market. Evidence that money doesn't equate success.

oh agreed. When it comes to discrete performance and gpu's AMD and Nvidia are light years ahead of Intel. I was hoping to find some articles about how Larrabee's massive failure did end up helping Intels IGPU, but couldn't find anything concrete. I will go on a hunch though that their massive amounts of money did help further their improvements into sandy, ivy, and even broadwell best igpus.

Money doesn't equal success, but success does. I think Intel licked their wounds and realized just how much market saturation they have with their graphics. For guys like us with discreet graphic cards igpus are terrible, but for a lot of people igpu's are how the game is played.

But you guys are right, intel's massive amount of money spent for discreet cards is a failure.

Last edited:
The 960 2 GB VRAM was/is a terrible card. NV discontinuing it is a show that it understands that.

As for drivers, I have a 980 now which has significant issues with drivers on G-sync. I didn't have a field day with AMD drivers, but the supposed "NV better drivers" meme is total BS.

Back